Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

the second is the worst :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

olylifter posted:

You know how many students get 1L summer gigs? At Western in my year there were 2. The year after? 1.

Take the internship. I worked construction my 1L summer.

Wow, unb had 8 last year. Guess regional firms are a little more desperate.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Are sovcits/freemen on the land a Common Law country phenomena? I haven't heard of any French or German sovcits

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/12/30/packers-fans-casting-call-superbowl-ad

Packers stuff. Paging abugadu (you were born in like 1967 I assume :boom: )

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Emanuel Collective posted:

Are sovcits/freemen on the land a Common Law country phenomena? I haven't heard of any French or German sovcits

They mostly stick with english speaking/british common law nations. They spring up primarily in the USA, but there are plenty in Canada, the UK, and Australia as well.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm sad that I missed out on a judge straight up having a sovcit arrested yesterday once the standard mumbo jumbo started coming out of her mouth.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

I kicked off my weeklong vacation by watching "Making a Murderer" and now I want to go back to work instead of fly to New Orleans. Go to law school and learn to hate fun.

The first lawyer for Brendan Dassey (the nephew) infuriated me, especially when he was testifying on the motion for a new trial and they read the emails between him and his own investigator.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

There are people like that in Germany that use laws from the Reich or something as a basis for their justifications. There's overlap with the right-wing nuts who claim Germany doesn't have a constitution and that the government is based on an illegitimate occupation after the war. Randler probably knows more than me about it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Troubadour posted:

There are people like that in Germany that use laws from the Reich or something as a basis for their justifications. There's overlap with the right-wing nuts who claim Germany doesn't have a constitution and that the government is based on an illegitimate occupation after the war. Randler probably knows more than me about it.

How does that go over in court? I'd think that the judges there would give people espousing that a lot, lot less credence than the judges in the USA.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I think the only thing I enjoy more than finding out about the other side not sending notice and then entering adverse orders, is when they state that I was there in said adverse order. This'll be fun to clear up.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Zarkov Cortez posted:

The first lawyer for Brendan Dassey (the nephew) infuriated me, especially when he was testifying on the motion for a new trial and they read the emails between him and his own investigator.

I thought the guy was getting a bum rap (public defenders are often in no-win situations and understand plea deals are the best route, regardless of the clients innocence) but the investigator scenes nearly made me have a stroke

Mr. Nice! posted:

They mostly stick with english speaking/british common law nations. They spring up primarily in the USA, but there are plenty in Canada, the UK, and Australia as well.

I figured it was a common law thing because one of the cornerstones of sovcit thinking is that statutory law only applies to commercial transactions; ergo only the plain meaning of the Constitution applies to everything else. But that assumes the sovcit mindset has any logical basis.

Emanuel Collective fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 30, 2015

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I hate when the appellant answers his phone but his attorney does not because I can't ask for default but I can't really go forward with the hearing so we end up continuing the matter and it's a statutory non-discretionary action anyway.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

I thought the guy was getting a bum rap (public defenders are often in no-win situations and understand plea deals are the best route, regardless of the clients innocence) but the investigator scenes nearly made me have a stroke

I figured it was a common law thing because one of the cornerstones of sovcit thinking is that statutory law only applies to commercial transactions; ergo only the plain meaning of the Constitution applies to everything else. But that assumes the sovcit mindset has any logical basis.

Probably a universal thing, but I imagine that attention to due process means it comes out more? Like, if Biggus Dickus of Rome goes around saying only Republic law applies to him, he just asking to be proscripted.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
My loving printer keeps defaulting to print on both sides what is this loving poo poo!!!?

Also my vacation looks a lot like me sitting in my office doing work just like normal; maybe that is because I am literally in my office doing work.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
My wife works for the government, so I'm really inconveniencing her by getting up to get ready for work on these "haul it days"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

My wife works for the government, so I'm really inconveniencing her by getting up to get ready for work on these "haul it days"

Think of it as payback for every other day of the year where she has to set the alarm am hour earlier than actually needed

My commute was lovely today, even nicer than Christmas eve

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Think of it as payback for every other day of the year where she has to set the alarm am hour earlier than actually needed

My commute was lovely today, even nicer than Christmas eve

It didn't take long for her inflection to change from incredulity to resignation when asking, "do you have to work on _________________________?"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

my main case ended in mid-december so I've been having a great holidays :sun:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm going to a 1030 movie this morning.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm going to a 1030 movie this morning.

Alone.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I haven't done any work some 2011

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Our managing partner wore a Carhartt jacket and boots to work, which is code for "I'm going to the ranch after work, so we're getting off at noon."!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

Our managing partner wore a Carhartt jacket and boots to work, which is code for "I'm going to the ranch after work, so we're getting off at noon."!

Does he have a ranch or is he a faker like Bruce rauner

My morning was a Kafkaesque nightmare of bureaucracy, and as always I just admitted defeat and left in frustration

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 31, 2015

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I usually hate working in Times Square, but today I really loving hate working in Times Square.

Too bad I can't leave because a judge decided to set a January 1, 2016 substantial completion deadline.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Does he have a ranch or is he a faker like Bruce rauner

3 out of 5 partners at my firm have farmland/ranches.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

With the wife! She's also a government worker.

Saw the hateful eight and drank beer at 11am. Pretty good holiday.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Me talking to my buddy about study group girl, who I've made plans with for when she comes back:

Him: "Just tell your wife that at one time she was study group girl."
Me: "That's about the worst thing I can say"
Him: "Good point."

Note: I started dating my current wife while I was still married.

I'm drunk and make bad decisions.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What the gently caress is wrong with you. Goddamn I hope you fail c&f.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

Me talking to my buddy about study group girl, who I've made plans with for when she comes back:

Him: "Just tell your wife that at one time she was study group girl."
Me: "That's about the worst thing I can say"
Him: "Good point."

Note: I started dating my current wife while I was still married.

I'm drunk and make bad decisions.

Tell your wife it's karma?

Also realistically how hot is study group girl? Rhetorical question, we know it's a done deal when you mentioned being married.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 1, 2016

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

yronic heroism posted:

Tell your wife it's karma?

Also realistically how hot is study group girl? Rhetorical question, we know it's a done deal when you mentioned being married.

Based on Toona's previous track record of decision making skills, she's probably realllly fat and crazy.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

^dis

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

BigHead posted:

Based on Toona's previous track record of decision making skills, she's probably realllly fat and crazy.

Slender and crazy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Toona the Cat posted:

Slender and crazy.

Do you really wanna deal with another divorce?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
B+ on my LRW memo. One person failed and I'm pretty sure I know who. That has to suck hard.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Who cares

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
You go to study groups but still land in the middle of the curve and talk about yourself a lot. Just make every post going forward "I am a bog standard law student" and they'll have the same informational and entertainment content

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Now you have to decide whether you're going to figure out how to improve and go for the long shot of a 2L OCI position by getting A's next semester, or if you want to coast and do exactly the same thing for the next two years and end up middle of the pack relying on your connections & networking to find a job.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Toona the Cat posted:

One semester in the bag. Feel really good about my memo, and all of my finals except torts which I probably did average.

B+

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I went to a T14 and I vividly remember that day I learned of my mediocre first semester grades. In hindsight, I should have dropped out of school then.

I had a good scholarship to go and I would have been in the hole for only $10k. In hindsight that was a fair price for the life experience, for trying the whole law school thing for half a year and realizing (about 50% certainty) that the whole legal career rat race wasn't really for me. Luckily I'm now on a more lucrative career path, and more importantly, it's something I'm very passionate about. But I didn't really need to spend the additional $100K or whatever on tuition and living expenses, and forego the additional $100K or whatever in wages.

If you have the balls to drop out now, five years down the road you will look like a genius amongst your current classmates. Dead serious. Almost all of my biglaw friends are jealous of me (many of whom are those insufferable freakshows that are getting straight A's in your 1L section). Most of them hate their jobs and are only in it to pay off their massive student loans. Whenever we hang out, "exit strategies" come up all the time which invariably is a choice between a massive step down in pay, taking a huge risk in a different market or going back to school. Depression is rampant and many can't hold together romantic relationships.

This thread warned me about this very thing 6-7 years ago. Time sure does fly, and now I'm "that guy" imploring that you listen to my advice. I'm not posting this to say "look at me, I figured it out, I did it better". I made some great friends in law school and the whole experience definitely made me smarter.

But in terms of career opportunities and risk/reward, law school is a scam, plain and simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

B+ on my LRW memo. One person failed and I'm pretty sure I know who. That has to suck hard.

That person can drop out and be 5 semesters of debt ahead of you.

Don't pity him. Celebrate his good fortune.

Comedy option: study group girl is the one who failed.