Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My best bet is it's some internal programming term though. I can't possibly imagine they'd put babies in the game, it's just too out there :psyduck:

I take it back :psyduck:

(Can't link to their YouTube update, am on phone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Here you go mate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsTOSHhy-_Y

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
BABIES N BABES

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
What was that about minutiae spergs again?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
New project: Find way to put babies on Death Row

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Somebody find out what happens if a gang leader mom and pc snitch mom are using the same nursery.

Then write a popular netflix drama about it or something

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Obfuscation posted:

Somebody find out what happens if a gang leader mom and pc snitch mom are using the same nursery.

Then write a popular netflix drama about it or something

Oh dear, I wonder what happens to the baby when the mother dies

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I like how you said WHEN, and not IF :v:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Just threw together a quick test prison to see what happens.
  • Mothers can't be sent to solitary. Any solitary punishment is turned into lockdown, and they go back to their family cell.
  • You can receive more moms than you have family rooms for, and they will just sit outside in the delivery area forever unless you manually assign them to a room. Sometimes the displaced inmates wind up stuck in the nursery, while others seem to just sit in the cell.
  • Despite having multiple needs maxed out, moms seem very resistant to rioting. Might have to give max sec free access to the nursery, since even my ex law enforcement mom isn't being attacked.

Meanwhile...

:raise:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
looks like they tried pretty hard to minimise the number of dead babies in their game.

Probably not a bad idea.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Can you use babies as weapons in escape mode.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Prison Architect - Riot Grrrls

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If I shank someone's baby will they be upset?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

If I shank someone's baby will they be upset?
In my experience, yes, but I haven't tried it in the game yet.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
WARREN TIMMS IS THE BANE OF MY EXISTENCE

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Dormitories might, in fact, be overpowered why wouldn't I paint everything dorms

Hitting the humble 100 and nothing really seems to be amiss with hordes of dorms!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gamerofthegame posted:

Dormitories might, in fact, be overpowered why wouldn't I paint everything dorms

Hitting the humble 100 and nothing really seems to be amiss with hordes of dorms!

Dorms and holding cells don't meet the privacy need. That doesn't matter if most of the other needs are good. Maybe set your punishment policy to send people to solitary instead of lockdown? Dudes coming out of solitary never seem to have a privacy need.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Babies seem like the weirdest bonus feature when the prisoner conflict modes are still firmly rooted in 1930s prison lore despite cameos from more modern conflicts in the campaign.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zedprime posted:

Babies seem like the weirdest bonus feature when the prisoner conflict modes are still firmly rooted in 1930s prison lore despite cameos from more modern conflicts in the campaign.

It's very hard to implement meaningful conflicts (in terms of gameplay) in something like this without resorting to cliche and exaggeration.

In real life, prison's don't devolve into weekly riots because someone didn't get their clothes washed or whatever.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Also if they dig a tunnel out of their dorm toilet, then the entire dorm will be gone. So it's not just one escape, it's 18. Or twenty. Or worse.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Also if they dig a tunnel out of their dorm toilet, then the entire dorm will be gone. So it's not just one escape, it's 18. Or twenty. Or worse.

I'm almost ready to download one of those creepy nazi mode for reenacting The Great Escape in the escape mode.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

KillHour posted:

It's very hard to implement meaningful conflicts (in terms of gameplay) in something like this without resorting to cliche and exaggeration.

In real life, prison's don't devolve into weekly riots because someone didn't get their clothes washed or whatever.
I'm OK with it being more of a powder keg than it would be in real life. I more mean taking some of the foresight AI hacks about applying contraband to tunneling to a similar behavior for taking over some of the historically self selecting safe spots like the classroom and chapel for hostage situations without a powder keg riot.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Not just that but they'll cooperate to dig the tunnel as well, so it'll get done a lot faster. In a normal cell block you'll maybe get 2-3 prisoners teaming up to tunnel, tops. In a dorm you might get all 20 or however many you put in there.

Autistic Speculum
Apr 9, 2009
Is everyone experiencing a bug where the inmates are stuck on the readbook action, and they just stand around and do nothing? They try to satisfy the literacy need during free time, and they neglect everything else. I'm thinking it might be best to just get rid of the library so they can't read.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Thanks to a conversation on steam about the last update, I've become interested in modding Prison Architect. Nothing too fancy, I just want to replace the gang member sprites with babies. I'm wondering if this is possible, and if so, how difficult would it be to do? If it has to be a women's prison, so be it.

I just want a gang of babies to take over the yard so I can call it "the crib."

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Holy gently caress where have I been. Can I have just women prisoners or is it just "Moms only"?

Also Baby Death Row when.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

widespread posted:

Holy gently caress where have I been. Can I have just women prisoners or is it just "Moms only"?

Also Baby Death Row when.

I only noticed tonight when I started a new prison that you can choose the prisoner gender at the beginning. Moms seem to be just a small percentage of the population of women prisoners. In the video for the update, Chris set his intake to All (which was something like 84), and I saw 3 moms... but then again, he only had 3 Family Cells set aside, which are what moms with babies need. So there may have been more who were just wandering around.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

You only get as many moms as you have momcells.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Nalesh posted:

What's the incentive to bother with the extra infrastructure, then? Do you get paid more for them, or is it just for fun?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

What's the incentive to bother with the extra infrastructure, then? Do you get paid more for them, or is it just for fun?

You mean the incentive isn't to make a stable orphan farm?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Nalesh posted:

When I tried it after update 2, it kept sending me moms, even if there were no available family rooms. They would just sit in the delivery area until I messed around with room assignments to place them inside.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

FronzelNeekburm posted:

When I tried it after update 2, it kept sending me moms, even if there were no available family rooms. They would just sit in the delivery area until I messed around with room assignments to place them inside.

Yeah, you're guaranteed at least one mom if you try for 20 prisoners.

Speaking of, are dorms just absolutely OP right now? I mean, you can squeeze a fuckload of prisoners in about the same space as a few cells sorta.

Plus the idea of prison being like a vocational school with on-campus living and a free tuition makes things weirder.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

widespread posted:

Speaking of, are dorms just absolutely OP right now? I mean, you can squeeze a fuckload of prisoners in about the same space as a few cells sorta.

Plus the idea of prison being like a vocational school with on-campus living and a free tuition makes things weirder.
European prisons?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Croccers posted:

European prisons?

.. is that what they're called? Well poo poo. I didn't know EuroPrisons were so cool or whatever.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

widespread posted:

No, there's definite drawbacks to dorms. One is that the prisoners who require privacy won't get that need met. So you'd have to either deal with constantly cranky prisoners, or manually move affected ones to solo cells. The other is that more prisoners in one cell means faster tunnel digging. So you definitely have to be vigilant. With large dorm rooms, you can easily get 20 escapes in one night.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The prime dorm room size is 7 prisoners, tho, so it isn't that big. Shove the usual TV/chair/etc in there and you've got a decent quality room.

You can be exploitive cuz dorms don't have a minimum size and just make the tiny cell designs with dorms instead of cells, bunkbed or not.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gamerofthegame posted:

The prime dorm room size is 7 prisoners, tho, so it isn't that big. Shove the usual TV/chair/etc in there and you've got a decent quality room.

You can be exploitive cuz dorms don't have a minimum size and just make the tiny cell designs with dorms instead of cells, bunkbed or not.
Dorms have a minimum size of 2x3 and seem to require 6 tiles per bunk bed when scaling up. So if you want to be exploitative its still packing them in at double density, or more than double density if your layout hits a breakpoint for extra cells because of less walls needed, compared to a normal cell. Especially in a hotel prison since you get 4 tiles per bunkbed to stack with shared luxuries instead of trying to serve every individual cell.

Once you get the lawyer tech to remove the minimum size you can go full concentration camp, but that's not necessarily unique to dorms.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

nielsm posted:

No, there's definite drawbacks to dorms. One is that the prisoners who require privacy won't get that need met. So you'd have to either deal with constantly cranky prisoners, or manually move affected ones to solo cells. The other is that more prisoners in one cell means faster tunnel digging. So you definitely have to be vigilant. With large dorm rooms, you can easily get 20 escapes in one night.

What if I surrounded my dorms with a two-layer perimeter fence thing? Last I remember, with just one layer of perimeter fence, the tunnels go right through the initial Deliveries area.

Gamerofthegame posted:

While duly noted, I'm more likely to make a dorm size 6 with bunks. Or have seven regular beds all lined up.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Is that bug with the guards not taking tazing classes still in effect? Or was it finally fixed? I haven't played in a good while, before gang leaders for a good rough estimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Blackray Jack posted:

Is that bug with the guards not taking tazing classes still in effect? Or was it finally fixed? I haven't played in a good while, before gang leaders for a good rough estimate.

I don't think I've ever encountered that bug. Unless you mean 10%~ of your guards aren't completing the program, in which case that's intended. Not all guards will be qualified to carry one.

• Locked thread