Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Got my grey steel band the other day.

Put it on the watch, and then took it off 2 days later. Holy poo poo that's the worst watch strap I've ever worn.

Weighs a tonne, has sharp edges, and constantly catches my hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

xlevus posted:

Got my grey steel band the other day.

Put it on the watch, and then took it off 2 days later. Holy poo poo that's the worst watch strap I've ever worn.

Weighs a tonne, has sharp edges, and constantly catches my hair.

Good to hear. I'm still waiting for mine, but knowing about the delays I bought a 3rd party one in advance and fitted it on day one. Guess my Pebble one can go straight on eBay..

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Late adopter ahoy. I've had an eye on the Pebble since its original kickstarter, but thought it looked a little too bulky and toyish, and the color on the recent Times look too washed-out for my taste. Where was the classy, affordable, minimalist smartwatch experience?
Fast forward to last weekend, where an open box Pebble Steel was on sale for $80, and I'm way too attached to this thing already. The Steel fits perfectly on my wrist, and while Misfit isn't 100% accurate, it's good enough as basic pedometer and sleep tracking. I'm kind of ashamed at how fitness and proper sleep matter more to me when my watch is happy about them.

Apps:
Misfit
Timer+
Pixel Miner (will delete once everything's unlocked, I understand it leeches battery)

Watchfaces:
Trek V2
91 Dub V3
Modern

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Try Plexfit as opposed to Misfit.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bidusoft.plexfit&hl=en

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Pixel Miner (will delete once everything's unlocked, I understand it leeches battery)
I'm pretty sure this only runs when you actually have the app running: Pebble can only run one background app at a time (due to CPU/memory restrictions), which would probably be Misfit/some other fitness tracker in your case. I tend to run Pixel Miner when my watch is charging, since the constant screen updates do tend to drain battery, as you say. You can check the currently selected process in your settings menu, under "Activity".

If you're looking for good watch faces, check out anything by by Dalpek. This guy releases watchfaces ridiculously regularly, and they're always pretty funky.

Personally, I'm running Pip Boy 100 at the minute - but that's because I'm on a Fallout 4 kick :)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions! I replaced Misfit with PlexFit, and once I got the settings sussed out (calibration, 3-step threshold, filter on), it tracks pretty accurately. Phone's a Nexus, so Google Fit integration is handy, too.

One hiccup: the phone app keeps asking to update the watch app from 2.3.1 to the latest, 3.0.3. The app doesn't update, no matter what I do. Is this a matter of my Steel being behind the Time? Otherwise, why aren't the Pebble or Plex apps able to update the watch? (EDIT: fixed! Had to go into app permissions and allow Plex access to storage, then the update worked fine.)

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 10, 2015

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I don't think that's the issue, since I use a regular pebble and mine is on 3.3.

Have you tried removing if from your pebble gallery fully (aka reinstall)? I'm not quite sure how to fix it, since I haven't had the problem yet. You can also try to contact badusoft see if theyve had the issue before.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been using the Pebble Time since they sent out the first Kickstarter rewards, and I like it so much I just got the Pebble Time Round also. I like it a lot more than the square Time, and most of the round watch faces look a lot better than their square counterparts. Also it seems to be just generally zippier than the Time. The buttons feel clickier and the overall build is more premium.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I picked up the pebble classic on a whim today with a collection of gift cards for bestbuy. The watch body could have been just a bit smaller, as it feels a little long for my bird wrists.

It's nice though. Are there any killer apps you goons recommend? It seems like there's no shortage of pedometer/fitness apps, which don't really do much for me because all I do is walk around university.

Are there any apps which let me reply to a text message? Even if it's just a precanned "yeah/sure/sounds good" text?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

As the one-month owner of a Pebble Steel, I can say without reservation that the upgrade to the latest Timeline interface is completely worth it on older Pebbles, and you should get it if you haven't already. There are a few precanned responses you can already use to respond to texts, but I can't comment on better apps for doing so.
I've been rocking the TrekV3 watch face the most, I like seeing time/date/weather/battery all at once and in that cool Trek style. Being able to read and dismiss messages and emails from the wrist comes in handy, too.
Anyone with a Pebble Time Steel wanna tell me how great it is and increase my urge to splurge on an upgrade? Or is the basic Steel as good as it gets until next year's massive Black Friday discounts?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Space Fish posted:

As the one-month owner of a Pebble Steel, I can say without reservation that the upgrade to the latest Timeline interface is completely worth it on older Pebbles, and you should get it if you haven't already. There are a few precanned responses you can already use to respond to texts, but I can't comment on better apps for doing so.
I've been rocking the TrekV3 watch face the most, I like seeing time/date/weather/battery all at once and in that cool Trek style. Being able to read and dismiss messages and emails from the wrist comes in handy, too.
Anyone with a Pebble Time Steel wanna tell me how great it is and increase my urge to splurge on an upgrade? Or is the basic Steel as good as it gets until next year's massive Black Friday discounts?

Thanks! I updated the software. Looks nice. Is the precanned responses thing an AT&T feature only? I can't find how to do it, but it may be because I have Verizon? :whitewater:

e: oh, im on iOS as well.

buglord fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 29, 2015

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Space Fish posted:

Honestly? As much as I like it, it's not a huge upgrade over the Pebble Steel now you have the timeline OS. I had a black PS and upgraded to the silver PTS - personally I think it looks nicer (physically) and the curved back is a bit more comfortable, but it's also slightly larger which makes the huge bezel even more apparent. The colour screen is nice for notifications and the few apps I use, but I tend to stick to mostly black and white watchfaces as they have the best contrast for glancing at - colours are very washed out with the backlight off, almost to the point of being useless.

The battery life is a slight improvement but it's hard to get the figures they quote.. I've been at my parents for Christmas so it's 6 days since I charged it and I'm down to 10% now - I think it'll keep going on 10% for a while, but not up to the 9 days they claim (and this is with very light usage - basically only using it as a watch with notifications and the Pebble Health app in the background).

Overall I think it just comes down to how much you like the form factor, and the colour screen being nicer for notifications/apps when the backlight's on. While I enjoy mine and would recommend the PTS to someone who's new to smartwatches, it's a harder sell to pay the full price to upgrade from a Pebble Steel.

Avocados posted:

Thanks! I updated the software. Looks nice. Is the precanned responses thing an AT&T feature only? I can't find how to do it, but it may be because I have Verizon? :whitewater:

e: oh, im on iOS as well.

Yeah, text replies are [Any Android] or [iOS+AT&T] only at the moment. It sounds like they're trying to get more carriers on board, but honestly it's a clunky implementation (it calls the carrier's web APIs directly, so the outgoing text doesn't appear in the Messages app) and personally not that worthwhile.

Froist fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 29, 2015

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Were there any updates at all about the metal bands for the ptr? I sent in a support ticket over a week ago and their cs probably got hammered over the holiday

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Completely anecdotal, but I get practically a whole extra day of battery life with the Timeline update on my OG Pebble Steel. I was getting about 6 days, now I get about 7 or 8. Same watchface and settings. No idea why, but I'll take it!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ever since I switched to a Nexus 5X my Pebble Steel hasn't been able to stay paired with my phone for more than a minute or so.

I'm not ready to rule out my phone being the cause, but is there any way to figure out what's going on? I've done the forget and pair routine a bunch of times, no change.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

FISHMANPET posted:

Ever since I switched to a Nexus 5X my Pebble Steel hasn't been able to stay paired with my phone for more than a minute or so.

I'm not ready to rule out my phone being the cause, but is there any way to figure out what's going on? I've done the forget and pair routine a bunch of times, no change.

Odd, my 5x has never dropped. Time Steel watch.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Late adopter here. I just unwrapped mine this evening and I've been playing around with it.

I've never had a smartwatch before, but I was intrigued by the possibilities and saw the Pebble Time as a good entry to see if I like it.

So far, I do! The WorkMate app to let me see my tasks and calendars and work mail is handy as all get out, and I can't wait to figure out how to read full messages and text back short responses. Also what everything else does. :iiam:

My biggest disappointment? I can't get Skipstone to mesh with Videolan.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FISHMANPET posted:

Are you using the Pebble app or the Pebble Time app?

The old one disconnects like crazy. Get the Pebble Time app and update your watch to the Timeline firmware and it should work.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The original app one disconnected like crazy, I upgraded to Pebble Time and upgraded the firmware, same problem.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I kinda wish my pebble did more. Not sure what I would want though. How do you guys incorporate your pebbles into your *~daily routines~*

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I look at it when it vibrates to see what my phone is bitching about. I wear it when I am awake and also asleep and it keeps cool stats that sync with Google the Fit. When someone says "you need to be notified when it's 5 minutes from now", I touch the watch until it knows to shake 5 minutes from now. When I am listening to music, the watch will let me listen to a different music.

It also tells me the time non-verbally when I look at it, unless when I look at it is during the above.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I listen to a lot of podcasts at work and use it to pause them so I don't have to fiddle with my phone every time I talk to somebody.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

grilldos posted:

I look at it when it vibrates to see what my phone is bitching about. I wear it when I am awake and also asleep and it keeps cool stats that sync with Google the Fit. When someone says "you need to be notified when it's 5 minutes from now", I touch the watch until it knows to shake 5 minutes from now. When I am listening to music, the watch will let me listen to a different music.

It also tells me the time non-verbally when I look at it, unless when I look at it is during the above.

This is the best answer. Mine also tells me whether I need to wear shorts or thermals when I step out of the front door.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I received a Time Steel as a gift and I love it so far. I like having custom watch faces, being able to check texts/time/weather on my wrist, and using the vibrating alarm instead of an audible one. The voice reply and canned response menu is a nice touch too. I haven't really delved into apps, yet, but some look really promising.

I asked for it instead of an Android Wear because I can't see myself wearing a watch that needs charging every night.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

grilldos posted:

When someone says "you need to be notified when it's 5 minutes from now", I touch the watch until it knows to shake 5 minutes from now. When I am listening to music, the watch will let me listen to a different music.

All of this, plus I use it with:

swim.com (kinda hit-and-miss, but overall seems to be more correct than not)
Voice2Timeline and Checklist for dictated reminders
Dislock to have the phone automatically be unlocked when I'm near and locked when I'm not
Get Up Stand Up so I'm reminded to do that at work

I've also just thrown Running Coach onto it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Are some of those (like dislock) jail broken apps only?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

rear end Catchcum posted:

Are some of those (like dislock) jail broken apps only?

My (Android) phone is not rooted, if that's what you're asking.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

gschmidl posted:

All of this, plus I use it with:
Checklist for dictated reminders

Checklist is straight dope, as I have discovered.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
This little icon on the taskbar is bothering me.

Whats this satellite icon looking icon to the left of the time? Googling has got me nowhere. It looks like GPS, but doesn't GPS just have an arrow icon?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Avocados posted:

This little icon on the taskbar is bothering me.

Whats this satellite icon looking icon to the left of the time? Googling has got me nowhere. It looks like GPS, but doesn't GPS just have an arrow icon?

That's the Bluetooth icon, not a satellite.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
OG steel on new firmware, why does the plexfit watchapp constantly steal focus (replace my watchface), and how do I make it not before I remove it all together.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Kazy posted:

That's the Bluetooth icon, not a satellite.

It's also the quiet time indicator, when that's active it has a stop sign as long as Bluetooth is active.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Okay. Thanks. It was a bit confusing because I'm used to seeing the standard Bluetooth icon on my phone and the old version of pebble.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Wow - I did not know I needed to get the new Pebble Time app to update the firmware. Finally got it running on my original Pebble; looks nice. Thanks guys!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Could the watch face I'm using be responsible for disconnects? I'm currently using one I found called Minimalist weather, which doesn't seem to be able to actually keep up to date since I moved to my new phone. This morning I "connected" to the watch in the app and sat it down next to my phone and went to make breakfast. I happened to be standing over the watch 9 minutes later, and the weather was still "Loading..." and then it disconnected. I just now switched to the Weather Channel watch face and it got weather data in about a second. So could there be some timeout in the watch face that causes the disconnect?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
After owning this for about 10 days, I think I can get behind the Pebble classic. Battery life is pretty amazing, and it handled a crowded amusement park for a few days just fine. It's a pretty legit and natural extension to my iPhone.

On one hand I sort of wish I upgraded to the Steel, but I do like that I can be fairly rough with this watch. It wouldn't kill my wallet spending another $70 if I somehow broke or lost the watch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My buddy gave me his old original Pebble since he got an Apple Watch (lol) and I absolutely love this thing, I'm using Plexfit to sync all my workout and step stuff to Google Fit, I love the quick replies to texts, like man I'm actually amazed at how useful this thing is being so far. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on getting a Time, I have a Best Buy gift card so it'd only cost me like $100 CAD

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I actually have both a used pebble and pebble steel sitting around doing nothing - if you pay for shipping, I'll drop them in the mail.

PM me if interested, will likely take me a day or two to follow up.

E: both are black

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FormatAmerica posted:

I actually have both a used pebble and pebble steel sitting around doing nothing - if you pay for shipping, I'll drop them in the mail.

PM'd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

FormatAmerica posted:

PM'ed sir.

• Locked thread