Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

Not yet. But it will be. Probably.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_dLm9JcogQ

Feedback welcome. Note: Yes, there's too much screen shake and too much knockdown.

Looks nice. Music is good, but a bit more dynamic would be nice. And tone down the screen shake. The existing texture look pretty decent too. Maybe as a martial artist, some kicks or something?

So, is that in engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Because,
If it's not love
Then it's the parp, the parp, the parp, the parp, the parp, the parp, the parp
That will bring us togethee-eer

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bait and Swatch posted:

Pssh, army gave me a gun at 20

Wal-Mart gave me one at 18.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ravane posted:

Hey, does buying the 30k SA Limited Edition Account grant me a red star by my name too?

Nope. You aren't an original backer. Sorry.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TigerBomb posted:

It was I... SMARTICUS!

No! I am Smarticus! (everyone sings along to Bohemian Rhapsody and applauds at the wedding with the veteran as preacher)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Warcabbit posted:

Feedback welcome. Note: Yes, there's too much screen shake and too much knockdown.

Probably my initial reaction is that the core experience of combat is rather simplistic. It seems like melee combat is essentially "run up and punch dude" with the occasional Ray Lewis dance that seems to produce fire everywhere. Are there any plans to make combat dynamic and skill based, something that is sufficiently fun and engaging that the gameplay could stand alone without the MMO trappings? Or is that just a really preliminary build and dynamic combat is something you have planned?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

G0RF posted:

Feel the rush!

I'll caution you-- prepare to get killed a lot at the lower levels. It takes quite a while to really get a feel for the sometimes huge battle maps and to unlock the weapon attachments that help up your firepower. Learn to communicate with Squadmates (you don't have to via voice if you don't want to)-- because you'll earn XP faster and it makes the game far more exciting when you can coordinate efforts with others.

It was very much worth the $100 I spent -- still playing it years later. At $20, it's an embarrassment of riches.

That looks awesome. What version do I exactly purchase so that I have all the current maps and such? It is a little confusing for my dumb brain.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Samizdata posted:

It gets worse. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1118420/board/nest/28776252?ref_=nm_bd_1
A] Real,
B] idiot,
C] SC shill,
D] all of the above?

That was posted in 2005, so I doubt it is SC related.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Samizdata posted:

How do you know I'm not Lowtax's parachute account. You think he wouldn't want to post from the perspective of a young skinny gay Indian boy?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Samizdata posted:

Gold accounts should be severely limited. I don't want to read this thread and find hundreds of gold accounts due to goons shitposting 18 hours a day - at the very least, they should be limited to goons with over 100,000 (properly moderated and approved) posts under their belt.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ravane posted:

How do you know I'm not Lowtax's parachute account. You think he wouldn't want to post from the perspective of a young skinny gay Indian boy?

We're all Lowtax's parachutes dude

I'm his straight white male account

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ravane posted:

Because Lowtax is no mere mortal needing a parachute account. He has powers far beyond those of any mere mortal Goon.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I am Derek Smarticus.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Gold accounts should be severely limited. I don't want to read this thread and find hundreds of gold accounts due to goons shitposting 18 hours a day - at the very least, they should be limited to goons with over 100,000 (properly moderated and approved) posts under their belt.

Stop trying to run my dreams!

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

actually i have

though he sure doesn't rack up star citizen amounts of cash

20 days have passed and his campaign is at $3.1m - $200k under the goal

They've added so much time to the funding period I think we're actually closer to 30 days.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can we have some funny drama for new years sake Derek

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone wondering what Squadron 42 will be like? Here's my guess:

Hours of unskippable iterations of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexLUpQJPw8

Punctuated by iterations of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMW0g0n1isI

I suspect that what we have as far as 2.0 is concern is largely what we'll get with respect to the feel of flight, so folks bitching that flying feels like a clunky FPS should brace themselves.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Anyone wondering what Squadron 42 will be like? Here's my guess:

Hours of unskippable iterations of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexLUpQJPw8

Punctuated by iterations of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMW0g0n1isI

I suspect that what we have as far as 2.0 is concern is largely what we'll get with respect to the feel of flight, so folks bitching that flying feels like a clunky FPS should brace themselves.

they have also stated the flight model in SQ42 might/will not represent the flight model in SC(PU), reason being SQ42 is Single Player so there is no need for balancing.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
It's 2016, did the game come out? Last I checked it had a 2015 release date.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sillybones posted:

That looks awesome. What version do I exactly purchase so that I have all the current maps and such? It is a little confusing for my dumb brain.
Battlefield 4 Premium.

Here's more Epic Moments (picked at random) and Hilarious Moments. (watch the guy 1:30 in-- he blows up a tank, is teabagging the tank with a squadmate, then hears something...) I picked that video at random too but it only took a minute before I was cracking up.

It's a testament to the richness of the gameplay experience that the highlight videos themselves are plentiful and fun to watch. Star Citizen videos are funny only in the trainwreck way.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Happy New Year, Spergs.

EminusSleepus posted:

they have also stated the flight model in SQ42 might/will not represent the flight model in SC(PU), reason being SQ42 is Single Player so there is no need for balancing.

For gently caress's sake. So what happens when SC comes out? Do they gently caress up the mission balance, or do people get to come up with some contrived explanation for why in SQ42 a ship does one thing and in SC it does something completely different?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Warcabbit posted:

Fair enough.

Okay, this is what I see:

Very nice city layout, I got a Steel Canyon vibe and liked it very much. Interiors look serviceable, I suspect that'll have an art pass to address the floors and bare walls.

From the hotbar in the the center, there's a bit of old CoX legacy powers in there. That's fine. I didn't see much from it, but I suspect that'll change.

I saw the hit indicators in the top left. I could not tell from the particle effects what was a critical hit and what was a normal hit. I suspect that'll be addressed with a sound and particle art pass.

I'm not quite sure if you've had this thought, but as Beer pointed out the current punch power set you have leaves little to any dynamic gameplay (ie I'm a Ray Lewis toon and I run up and box people till they fall). I was wondering if you had considered Nu X-COM's cinematic camera for some finishing blows? Having the option to turn them on or off, of course.

Remember back in CoX I was a big proponent of bringing back wacky levels of KB to both the PvE and PvP parts of the game. For melee sets, as this demonstration shows, you may want to consider the advance/retreat side of melee momentum in a fight. A guy slowly pushing me back means I need to look for the opening in his pattern, where as if I'm pummeling a dude I'm expecting him to be dragging dirt by his heels.

Time of Day seems to be working alright, skybox is a bit bloomy, but that can be fixed. Don't see any lighted windows, or neon signs yet, again that'd be a future art pass. Locational lighting seems awesome though.

Are the various sectional bars in the health meant for 10s of HPs or are they more tell tales of possible tactics shifts?

Mini-map seems functional, god. Not sure what the yellow pips are. Do you have a plan for how enemy detection range is determined or is it a straight diameter?

That's about all I got for feedback right now in this context.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
Happy new years Citizens.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Happy New Year's from Austin, Texas, sperg central.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Ptu test trip report

Spawned a tali and glitched into the belly gunner seat. Was unable to exit gunner seat so just quit to desktop. A+++ 10/10 would spend 1000+ again

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

It gets worse. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1118420/board/nest/28776252?ref_=nm_bd_1
A] Real,
B] idiot,
C] SC shill,
D] all of the above?

Nah, it's more a case of Jared saying: "Awww mom, thanks. Love you too."

Edit: Forgot -> Happy New Year.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Also this interests me for some reason

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

neonbregna posted:

Also this interests me for some reason

Sandi is stuck in a t pose due to her acting career crashing.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
make sure "Push It" is playing in your heart when viewing that picture

edit: omg it all makes sense now "Pusher" Gardiner

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
2016 is the year we will get to see Sandi's performance in SQ42. Will she be a Manic Pixie Dream Girl or just another battle-hardened army stereotype like Mark Hamill, but female this time? Either way, the hype is real.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

2016 is the year we will get to see Sandi's performance in SQ42. Will she be a Manic Pixie Dream Girl or just another battle-hardened army stereotype like Mark Hamill, but female this time? Either way, the hype is real.

I'm thinking super empowered female archetype. Like... the kind that does something cool and then reminds you she did it in heels because reasons.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I was gonna fix this for you by putting "with boobs" behind Mark Hamill, but then I was "oh..."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Octopedo doesn't want to buy a new account, so he's PM'ing me instead.

Hey Lowtax,

Want to make 10$ real easy?

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 1, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm thinking super empowered female archetype. Like... the kind that does something cool and then reminds you she did it in heels because reasons.

Nope, a superheroine would break immersion. This is a SIMULATION, not a MOVIE.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Octopedo doesn't want to buy a new account, so he's PM'ing me instead.

Hey Lowtax,

Want to make 10$ real easy?

We are all just waiting on wave 5 of the forum accounts. I heard we get cheap plastic cards.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

Tokamak posted:

Sandi is stuck in a t pose due to her acting career crashing.

Hahaha oh boy 5/5

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Samizdata posted:

Nope, a superheroine would break immersion. This is a SIMULATION, not a MOVIE.

Nah not super powered, super empowered. Like she can do everything a guy can do, but better and in heels. And reminds you every thirty minutes. Like the female lead of a poorly written sci-fi movie.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Happy new year from the Midwest. I moved here from the UK in 2008, perpetrating a sham marriage in a doomed attempt to get close to lowtax. Finally, with the announcement of the Concierge level SA account, I have a shot at gatecrashing a bad videogame YouTube recording session where I will talk about the thousands of viewings of Lauren's story about a chicken in Costco until Shmorky vomits.

Either that or I will go to Yosemite again, that poo poo is beautiful.

2016 is truly the year of dreams. May all yours come true <3

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Omi-Polari posted:

The Year of the Parp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades