Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It's not so much the weight of the paint, but the weight of the vinyl decals on the tail that can add up and cause a bit of hand wringing in engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

D C posted:

I got to run around on a brand new AA 777 on a commercial shoot for their new livery. The crew rest area was two beds and two giant comfortable captains chairs. Besides the low ceilings it would probably be the best seats in the plane.

Laying in the beds would be nice, but don't expect a smooth ride being practically inside the tail.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Laying in the beds would be nice, but don't expect a smooth ride being practically inside the tail.

The 777 has 2 crew rest areas, the one he's describing is the flight deck crew rest area in the nose, just aft and above the flight deck.

E: You can see the aft cabin crew rest area in this cutaway. It's a -300 but you get the picture. I mean it's pretty far aft, but so are all the cattle-car seats below.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 1, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

I wonder how much AA saved over the years by not painting most of their airplanes.

Not enough. Economics are one of the main reasons they cite for going to paint with the new livery. Properly polishing aluminum is manpower-intensive, and a protective clearcoat to cut down on polishing just diminishes the weight advantage that you had from not painting it in the first place. Also, a lot of their new airplanes are or will have significantly more composites in them, which means they'd have to be painted anyway.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
What's the rest of that headroom along the fuselage being used for?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Ferret King posted:

Chemtrail tanks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

Its a convenient place for cabling, AC ducting, that sort of thing. Anything that isn't a fluid generally gets run up above the cabin, but it's still more dead space than you would initially imagine. In non-FBW aircraft, the control cables are generally up there as well, running along the center-line.

The Locator posted:

Chemtrail tanks.

Also this.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Properly polishing aluminum is manpower-intensive

Understatement of the year. I had aluminum wheels on an old S10 I had in college. They looked so good when done but it took an insane amount of work. Any kind of interaction with water involved it needing to be done again. Never again.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

MrYenko posted:

Its a convenient place for cabling, AC ducting, that sort of thing. Anything that isn't a fluid generally gets run up above the cabin, but it's still more dead space than you would initially imagine. In non-FBW aircraft, the control cables are generally up there as well, running along the center-line.

Also keep in mind, many wire-runs specify a minimum distance from other runs to prevent noise bleed-over, and then tack on all the signal bleed-over from all the electronics in the overhead bins you want to keep away. It's dead space, but serves a purpose.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Not enough. Economics are one of the main reasons they cite for going to paint with the new livery. Properly polishing aluminum is manpower-intensive, and a protective clearcoat to cut down on polishing just diminishes the weight advantage that you had from not painting it in the first place. Also, a lot of their new airplanes are or will have significantly more composites in them, which means they'd have to be painted anyway.

Heh, manpower expensive didn't stop the Eight air force.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

fknlo posted:

Understatement of the year. I had aluminum wheels on an old S10 I had in college. They looked so good when done but it took an insane amount of work. Any kind of interaction with water involved it needing to be done again. Never again.

I got some Bleche White on an aluminum wheel once.

gently caress
THAT
poo poo

Next time I'll just save the hassle and burn the house down for insurance money to buy a new wheel.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

tactlessbastard posted:

Heh, manpower expensive didn't stop the Eight air force.

Pretty sure that was because they had a surplus of enlisted men and the salty English climate rotted any paint they tried to put on 'em rather quickly.

Kinda disappointed that B-52s have never been bare metal, come to think of it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Delivery McGee posted:

Kinda disappointed that B-52s have never been bare metal, come to think of it.

If only it didn't have the damned watermark:

And a purely unpainted B-52 looks very Mad Max:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Well, that first one's got some paint on it, and they were only like that for, what, a year or two of their projected 80-year lifespan (and they've already made it for 60 as a type, the last ones built are 52+ years old) so on average I'm still right. :v:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Apparently 4 Allegiant flights out of Orlando-Sanford Airport have had to be diverted in the past week for mechanical issues.

quote:

Questions about Allegiant's safety and maintenance practices are being raised after a fourth flight to leave Orlando Sanford International Airport in a week was diverted on Thursday because of mechanical issues.

An Allegiant flight left Orlando Sanford for Cedar Rapids, Iowa, just after 6:20 a.m., only to be diverted to Chattanooga, Tenn., after there was an issue with the plane's right engine.

Other diversions happened Dec. 24, Monday and Wednesday. All were the result of various mechanical issues including an "indicator light," an abnormal smell in one plane and a problem with a de-icing system.

"We are concerned," said Ken Black of Orlando. "I don't think I'm going to fly them again soon, if ever."

Black's 17-year-old daughter was on the Thursday flight when the pilot notified passengers of the engine issue.

The Federal Aviation Administration said Thursday it is investigating each incident.

Allegiant officials said the four recently diverted flights account for all mechanical-related diversions from Orlando Sanford in December.

Another seven diversions were reported at Orlando Sanford, six because of inclement weather and one medical emergency, Allegiant said.

Allegiant has been flying out of Orlando Sanford for a decade and offers nonstop flights to 65 domestic destinations. The airline also has a maintenance base there.

Robert Mann, president of R.W. Mann & Company, a New York-based independent industry analyst, said airlines average a long-term diversion rate of a half-percent on flights.

"These are random events," said Mann, a former airline executive. "But when they happen, they are obviously very meaningful to people on the flight."

For 2015, the Nevada-based budget airline has averaged 143 weekly flights out of Orlando Sanford, said Allegiant spokeswoman Kim Schaefer. In the past seven days, the height of the holiday travel season, Allegiant flew 212 flights out of Orlando Sanford.

Assuming Allegiant offered 641 flights in December, including three average weeks and the busier holiday week, the airline's diversion rate for December would be 1.7 percent.

Mechanical diversions would account for 0.62 percent of those flights.

Mann said long-term diversion rates, reflecting about a year of flights, offer a better insight into how an airline is operating or maintaining its fleet. If four mechanical-related diversions become a weekly occurrence, however, that's a red flag for potential larger issues.

"It's really hard to say," he said, adding it could be a "very bad spate of luck."

Allegiant has squared off with its own pilots for more than a year about the safety and maintenance schedule of its fleet. Pilots have repeatedly raised concerns about the safety of the craft they fly.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I wouldn't fly Allegiant if they paid me to.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Unironically ban most low cost airlines.

Krasniy Prospekt
Oct 25, 2006
Hi, I've been a long time reader of this thread. Just wanted to say that I recently decided I was going nowhere at my comfortable job and enrolled in a two year aviation maintenance program. I've always loved planes and working on things, so I thought this would be a great career to explore. I've heard a lot of good things from people who have been in it, and I know we've got some military guys in this thread, but just wondering if we have any civil people? What can I expect to be doing when I get out? I'm assuming work is probably more plentiful in commercial areas versus general aviation.

They offer a certificate and an associates. I'll be going for the associates just because I have previous college that will satisfy the requirements. Is there a difference at all when it comes to finding a job? Also, if there's a thread somewhere for this, I'd love to be pointed towards it. Thanks everyone!

ickna
May 19, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If only it didn't have the damned watermark:

And a purely unpainted B-52 looks very Mad Max:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Krasniy Prospekt posted:

Hi, I've been a long time reader of this thread. Just wanted to say that I recently decided I was going nowhere at my comfortable job and enrolled in a two year aviation maintenance program. I've always loved planes and working on things, so I thought this would be a great career to explore. I've heard a lot of good things from people who have been in it, and I know we've got some military guys in this thread, but just wondering if we have any civil people? What can I expect to be doing when I get out? I'm assuming work is probably more plentiful in commercial areas versus general aviation.

They offer a certificate and an associates. I'll be going for the associates just because I have previous college that will satisfy the requirements. Is there a difference at all when it comes to finding a job? Also, if there's a thread somewhere for this, I'd love to be pointed towards it. Thanks everyone!

Is the cert A&P? http://www.airframeandpowerplant.com/ has a ton of good info on the requirements and how to go about meeting them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Party Plane Jones posted:

Apparently 4 Allegiant flights out of Orlando-Sanford Airport have had to be diverted in the past week for mechanical issues.

lol, Sanford is my home airport. I live like 10 miles away.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Krasniy Prospekt posted:

I went to a part 147 school in a former life. As much as I enjoyed it, the (loving weird) lifestyle and (lack of) pay are just too much for the perks to overcome. I'm an air traffic controller now, and much happier.

No one in the field, at any point in time from initial hire to your last promotion before you retire, is going to give a single gently caress that you have a degree or that you don't. Your A&P license is the base-rock of your career, but even with it, getting your first job can be rough, because you still don't know dick. After you finally do secure a job, take every fam course and technical cert you can get your hands on, because often a job posting is going to require specific certs, and having them makes you instantly waaaay more employable than the next guy. Even things like an OSHA forklift driver safety course can be the difference between you and the next guy. Be hungry, take all of the OT, learn from the old guys, and don't make enemies; It's an EXTREMELY small world.

Much like being a pilot, if you aren't willing to move for the next job, if you aren't willing to travel constantly for work, and you aren't flexible enough to survive until your connections (you've been making every friend in the industry you possibly can, right?) can come through with another gig when you inevitably get laid off, it isn't the career for you.

(Disclaimer: I didn't work for a large airline, and essentially was working for the most fly-by-night operation imaginable.)

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
To add to all that, the only place that sees super good wages and long-term job stability is the government sector, whether for the DoD ($) or a government contractor ($$$). I'm currently in the group of highest paid maintainers at my location, and there are guys at L3 that make triple what I do.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
An L3 gig is a present from heaven. The AWACS sim instructors die holding that job.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Literally. Those guys do not retire from that job.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Literally. Those guys do not retire from that job.

Seems like a lot of the Lockheed Martin guys do the same thing.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Same for GA-ASI FSRs (not the guys who work for some of their O&M subs, the guys who no poo poo work for GA as FSRs). I know one guy who's been with them doing the same thing (systems wizardry) since the mid '90s, there's pictures of him hanging out in Taszár with the OG Pred gang. He's the dude we call when we don't know what the gently caress

Fredrick
Jan 20, 2008

BRU HU HA HA HA

Phanatic posted:

By any measure, killing 500 people in line at a security gate will be at *least* as devastating in its impact on public awareness as blowing up yet another plane. Do you even remember Iraqi Air Flight 163, Korean Air 858, UTA 772, Avianca 203, or like another dozen-odd planes blown up by bombs snuck on board by terrorists? Someone setting a suitcase full of Semtex and roofing nails off at a security checkpoint would have enormous ramifications, simply huge, and pointing out the fundamentally self-defeating nature of our approach to security isn't dumb, it's just not *funny*.

I actually don't; all of those incidents happened before I was born. While I've read about a few, I'm still learning as I go.
I don't know if it supports your argument that I can't remember those; the general public is very good at forgetting terrible things that don't directly impact their life pretty shortly after the media stops talking about it.
I make no claims of being an expert or even of being particularly well-informed.

I'd also point to the Boston Marathon for an example of recent attempt to attack an area crammed with people, and that was a (somewhat) coordinated attack using a couple pressure cooker bombs filled with various fragmentation aids left right smack in the middle of the crowd. Only three people died out of the ~250+ people caught in the blast. Yes, it wasn't a suitcase full of HE, but it was still a fairly serious attempt. I was in Boston for the bombing and manhunt, and like other people I've talked to about this, the reaction to these attacks caused me to be a lot more afraid than the attacks themselves.

I agree with you that a security gate bombing would be seriously bad news and that it would cause a big public outcry, but then couldn't you say the same about setting off a bomb at a shopping mall during the holiday crush, or a sporting event, or whatever? I think the reason passenger jets are popular targets is related to how easy it is to damage them enough to take them down, and the spectacle of an airliner going down sticks hard in the minds of the public and causes all kinds of long-lasting repercussions. Airline stocks go way down, people become afraid to travel, more security theater is implemented, cleanup and investigation is very expensive, you get the idea.

Sorry for :spergin: over a really dumb joke.

Fredrick fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 2, 2016

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

MrChips posted:

That's a little high; the number I've heard for a 737 is typically 250-300 pounds. The weight of paint varys (obviously) based on the colours and the number of layers needed to complete the scheme. Interestingly, a plain white scheme is about the heaviest option, as white paint typically needs a lot more pigment per volume to look right as opposed to coloured paint, as well as more coats of paint when applied.

Yeah, 250 is what we use for an average for non-painted 737-800s. Red tends to be a bit heavy, too. I hate paint rework on red rudders since they can be quite heavy.

The rudder is a concern for paint and needs to have rebalance work done for flutter issues. It can be calculated, though, through a few methods and there's a fair bit of room to add balance weights through the life of the airframe. I've had customer requests for initial balance info for some delivered in the '80s.

Krasniy Prospekt
Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the input. I have a few connections already, and I'm in St. Louis, which is oddly a decent city for aviation business, but I have no qualms about moving. Government or DOD work would be awesome. Thanks for the input.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

hullo lads, let's go behind the scenes at croydon aerodrome!

(click for bigger)

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 3, 2016

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Krasniy Prospekt posted:

Thanks for the input. I have a few connections already, and I'm in St. Louis, which is oddly a decent city for aviation business, but I have no qualms about moving. Government or DOD work would be awesome. Thanks for the input.

IMHE the big money aerodrome sectors seem to be the go to spots: northern Florida (Crestview [uuuugh]), Dallas/FW (LEARN ABOUT SENSORS/Orbital-ATK ), Seattle/Tacoma (LEARN ABOUT BOEING), and (not so much any more as they are outsourcing everything) Lakehurst NJ.

You want to be a living deity on your chosen airframe though. Get some experience on a frame that's not gonna be dumpstered in the next 10 years, and move to newer birds as you can. Try to get some experience on rotary-wing stuff if you can, because dear god is it interesting, and makes a great paragraph/bullet on your resume.

Also, no matter how lovely your work environment, never burn bridges. It's a really small world.

E: In regards to the "Living Deity" bit: maintenance is not paid by the job, they're paid for how quickly they can diagnose/troubleshoot and then fix the problem. Becoming a walking encyclopedia is 2/3 the answer, the other 1/3 is experience. Get on a bird and learn the ropes, and Semper Gumby from then on.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 2, 2016

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

This isn't getting enough love and I had to check the original to see what you changed. Good job. :golfclap:

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Most A&P work is poo poo work for poo poo wages when starting and if your not prior military or structures you can pretty much count out govt. work. When you work in St. Louis since boeing is shutting down the F-15 line the only bet is lovely regionals at like 13-15$ an hour.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sort of as an aside, isn't it looking like the F15 line is getting an 11th hour reprieve with the Israel purchase?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If that actually happens in time, sure. I'm not sure what Boeing's cutoff date for new orders is, though.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I thought the Saudis and maybe South Korea had made decent sized purchases of their respective flavors of F-15s recently?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Coffeehitler posted:

I thought the Saudis and maybe South Korea had made decent sized purchases of their respective flavors of F-15s recently?

Depends on what "recently" means. I think the Saudi order is the one that keeps the line open through 2019. But long before the assembly plant closes, subcontractors will cease production of parts and assemblies. So there's a definite date long before 2019 where the "line" starts to close and "reopening" starts to cost more money. I'm guessing something needs to be signed by some time in 2017.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Still several months away, but anyone thinking of going to farnborough or the RIAT airshows later this year in July?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i'm going to keep posting this old poo poo