Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

It's the 'cool' appeal of being part of an edgy alt-movement and going against the grain, but broken completely free of a genuine political philosophy. The part where people sit down and discuss ideas in a reasonable way, even among allies, is rendered totally vestigial to writing thinkpieces where you declare you costed star wars 4 million dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

rudatron posted:

Define 'top of the hierarchy' though. The world's isn't run from tumblr, and in terms of clout on the internet (whatever that is worth), reddit and the chans out-rank them both.

As always it comes back around to Umberto Eco's definition of ur-fascism (I'm aware you've probably already read this, just providing it for anyone who hasn't), wherein in this case it's partially #7 but mostly #8 (both on page 7) where the enemy is both too strong and too weak. The inherent contradiction is not a flaw in their belief system, it's the strength of it. When they 'win' something, it's because the weak skeletons are being batted off like the peons they are, when they 'lose' something, it's because those goddamn skeletons have used their powerful cabal to cheat them out of a victory.

The Dork Entitlement

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

rudatron posted:

Define 'top of the hierarchy' though. The world's isn't run from tumblr, and in terms of clout on the internet (whatever that is worth), reddit and the chans out-rank them both.

To me, what's kind of fascinating about their self chosen label isn't the 'enlightenment' and the contradiction there, but the qualifier 'dark'. It's there clearly to signify edginess, but it also kind of implies maliciousness. "The enlightenment was bad, but we're worse!". Seems more like the kind of things biker gangs say about themselves, rather than then legitimate political movements. Except that they're inflating their egos with long winded screeds, instead of riding around looking menacing or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZjX65NYVGM
The Dark Enlightenment buy into a tired, overused marketing image unironically and appropriate it for themselves. And much like the "gamer" and other nerd-focused advertisements they get their whole image from (:siren: the entire idea of "gamers" was created by publishers' marketing departments :siren:), their "edge" comes with no intellectual substance behind it so it fails to even appear threatening.

The real irony of the whole "Dark Enlightenment" ethos is that it's incredibly corporate, born of computer peripheral ad copy and tie-in books written by uninspired journeymen to prop up tabletop wargames.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 31, 2015

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Dumb question. Do any major sects of these guys slobber all over Comte and particularly Scientific Politics? It combines their love of racial hierarchies and social elites with capitalism at it's worst. I might have seen it with them before, but I can't recall.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Comte is too high shelf and obscure for these mouth breathers, whose idea of discourse is jerking over stormfront racial "facts" copypasta

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Peven Stan posted:

Comte is too high shelf and obscure for these mouth breathers, whose idea of discourse is jerking over stormfront racial "facts" copypasta

Eh, they're fans of Carlyle, who is somewhat obscure and has an obnoxiously difficult prose style. DE people overrate semi-obscure old books in general.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 1, 2016

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
They really hate the idea of anyone trying to find any deeper meaning in writing, except when it comes to their guys in which case "Cthulhu always swims left" is actually a seven-layer metaphor cake that sounds stupid on purpose to keep the normies out.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Eh, they're fans of Carlyle, who is somewhat obscure

Wasn't he highly regarded by Goebbels? Sometimes all you need is a six degrees of Kevin Bacon to figure out why these chumplords like something.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

We had to read a piece by Carlyle back in 100 level poli sci... am I going to jail? :ohdear:

Should I turn in my prof?

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 1, 2016

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

rudatron posted:

To me, what's kind of fascinating about their self chosen label isn't the 'enlightenment' and the contradiction there, but the qualifier 'dark'. It's there clearly to signify edginess, but it also kind of implies maliciousness. "The enlightenment was bad, but we're worse!". Seems more like the kind of things biker gangs say about themselves, rather than then legitimate political movements. Except that they're inflating their egos with long winded screeds, instead of riding around looking menacing or whatever.

It just sounds like they expect to be viewed as Very Naughty for daring to look at things from something other than a social moralist perspective. Like identifying with the anti-hero.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to need you to clarify 'social moralist', because it sounds like you're referring to a specific terminology that does not follow from the strict definition of the individual words - all morality (and moralism) must be social, by its nature.

Tesseraction posted:

Wasn't he highly regarded by Goebbels? Sometimes all you need is a six degrees of Kevin Bacon to figure out why these chumplords like something.
Also Nietzsche, who somehow keeps getting defended as 'misunderstood' in spite of being most famous for creating an entire library to rationalize 'gently caress you got mine'.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I think the most interesting thing about Rorschach as being both a clear maniac and a voice of reason within the text of the work, is that different people see different things in him.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

rudatron posted:

Also Nietzsche, who somehow keeps getting defended as 'misunderstood' in spite of being most famous for creating an entire library to rationalize 'gently caress you got mine'.

Nietzsche is misunderstood in the sense that he wasn't really a proto-Nazi (his sister and her husband were, but he strongly disagreed with them). I agree that his view of morality was still really bad, though, and a lot of his fans (both inside and outside of academia) seem to willfully ignore the obvious meaning of what he wrote.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"Your arch-conservatism arises from being a small-minded, backwater yokel, whereas mine simply follows logically from my uniquely clear-eyed analysis of ethics."

They (well, Yarvin, at least) like who they like because they grew up in environments where privileged liberality was the default. Therefore, when rebelling and trying to define their own super-unique edgy identity, they lean conservative, but they don't bother escaping their classist prejudice against conservatism, they just daub together a protective hive of their own words, "proving" their position is so true and cool you can't even handle it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Doc Hawkins posted:

"Your arch-conservatism arises from being a small-minded, backwater yokel, whereas mine simply follows logically from my uniquely clear-eyed analysis of ethics."

They (well, Yarvin, at least) like who they like because they grew up in environments where privileged liberality was the default. Therefore, when rebelling and trying to define their own super-unique edgy identity, they lean conservative, but they don't bother escaping their classist prejudice against conservatism, they just daub together a protective hive of their own words, "proving" their position is so true and cool you can't even handle it.

Pretty much, their reconstructed view of politics is pretty cargo cult. Moldbug is mostly just a frustrated liberal who hates everyone he has to associate with.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Of all the dragons, you pick the one that's not actually a dragon card.

I'm going to assume Moldbug got permission Jamie Jones, WoTC et. al. and isn't using art without permission.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm reasonably confident he didn't make that card.

Here's one that definitely wasn't made by him, is much more informative, actually playable, and even balanced against an entire set:

quote:

Inspired by ribbonfarm.com, the Be Slightly Evil mailing list, and numerous discussions that have sprung from both, I started tinkering with designing MtG-inspired cards that would ideally introduce people to a person or idea through a judiciously chosen quote and a mechanic that illustrated the concept.

So, Moldbug is destructive, but has a kind of austere purity, he emboldens bad people, and brings confused not-so-bad people to their side. Also he talks about ~The Cathedral~ and is definitely a blogger, not a dragon. Even the abbreviated "NR" may be more informative than "NeoCameralist".

All of this is to say that even in the incredibly nerdy space of using magic the gathering cards to "introduce people to a person or idea", those dragon cards are Real Bad, meant more to self-aggrandize and befuddle than communicate and inform.

e: :engleft:

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 1, 2016

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Of all the dragons, you pick the one that's not actually a dragon card.

I'm going to assume Moldbug got permission Jamie Jones, WoTC et. al. and isn't using art without permission.

The only appropriate card to use is Invoke Prejudice.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Moldbug is mostly just a frustrated liberal who hates everyone he has to associate with.

Anyone who doesn't therefore sympathize with him just a little has no heart at all.

tabris
Feb 17, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm reasonably confident he didn't make that card.

Here's one that definitely wasn't made by him, is much more informative, actually playable, and even balanced against an entire set:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I tap my Nick Land, producing three racist mana.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I tap my Nick Land, producing three racist mana.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

The only appropriate card to use is Invoke Prejudice.

For the unenlightened, be sure to check the CardID in the URL :allears:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Nice.

I was part of a group of nerds in high school and I was the only one who wasn't really into Magic and I suspect that this was a good move on my part.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
One of the newer characters in the Magic lore is a transwoman and they commissioned a short story about how much of a badass warlord she is that correctly uses her pronouns and just treats being trans and transitioning as a perfectly natural thing that doesnt define the person and all that with the trans part mainly being a short paragraph or two. There were a few idiots who flipped their poo poo over it, but in general the reaction was like "That's cool, whatever" or "Props to Wizards for handling this well".

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Oh, my loving god.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

eatenmyeyes posted:

Oh, my loving god.

:perfect:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Don't be too eager. Apparently the artist was a legit neo-nazi?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

One of the newer characters in the Magic lore is a transwoman and they commissioned a short story about how much of a badass warlord she is that correctly uses her pronouns and just treats being trans and transitioning as a perfectly natural thing that doesnt define the person and all that with the trans part mainly being a short paragraph or two. There were a few idiots who flipped their poo poo over it, but in general the reaction was like "That's cool, whatever" or "Props to Wizards for handling this well".
Strangely, the neoreactionary set seem to be okay with trans people. At least compared to the rest of the right, center, and a fair chunk of the left.

So long as they fit into their MRA appointed gender roles, I guess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Strangely, the neoreactionary set seem to be okay with trans people. At least compared to the rest of the right, center, and a fair chunk of the left.

So long as they fit into their MRA appointed gender roles, I guess.

Justine Tunney.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Darth Walrus posted:

Justine Tunney.

Much as with any reactionary movement, from the Nazis to the GOP, minorities can become honorary members so long as they are sufficiently stupid and crazy.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

A new 'why cultural marxism is destroying the world' video came out so there's a new influx of folks seeing my video in the related videos and descending upon it to call me mean words.

You can see the downward spiral in action:

I'd love to discover I'm wrong about everything and sargon et al are bastions of intellect but all their viewers seem capable of saying is variations of 'gently caress you, asshat'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it really a strawman if you're showing footage of the actual human people saying it?

Surely that that point it's straw golemry at least.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tunney seems to be a white middle-class person who agrees with their ideology, as opposed to a towering black transwoman who would be scary and "weird looking," so I'm not surprised they were able to embrace her. But I also wouldn't be shocked if rhetorical doubling-down throws her out into the wilderness before long, either.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Is it really a strawman if you're showing footage of the actual human people saying it?

Surely that that point it's straw golemry at least.

No then it's taking things out of context and using it to smear people.

Unseen
Dec 23, 2006
I'll drive the tanker
Eh, I view it as a rebellion against the rabid leftism that dominates social media.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I need to 'rebel' against opinions that are different from mine. I can't just have a conversation with people.

That would be madness.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Unseen posted:

Eh, I view it as a rebellion against the rabid leftism that dominates social media.

Please tell us more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nessus posted:

Tunney seems to be a white middle-class person who agrees with their ideology, as opposed to a towering black transwoman who would be scary and "weird looking,"

Nah, they'd still embrace such a person provided they hated themselves enough, like Milo.

• Locked thread