Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Just because the state has less people doesn't mean we didn't build a loving ton of roads and bridges that definitely need maintenance regardless of if anyone ever uses them.
Speaking of bridges, can people in the know engage in some bridgechat?

My limited understanding from casual hearsay from a friend of a friend is that WA state bridges are, by and large, superfucked in terms of maintenance/structural integrity. Said person was in a position to know, having worked on some WSDOT projects involving bridges in some capacity for a contractor (I want to say as a bridge engineer, but I don't actually know for certain if that's true, and again: whatever, this is still all just at least twice filtered hearsay), but comes from out of state. He remarked to my friend that he thought it was (informally) insane what WSDOT got away with with bridges, and the overall impression I was left with is that many are ticking time bombs.

Some obvious caveats: it's a big state, and I don't really firmly remember all the details (if you can call them that), but I'm sure he didn't go all over the state to every single bridge; almost certainly his opinions were formed from whatever he worked on/looked at, and from interacting with the WSDOT people and others involved, so I'm factoring that in too.

I don't know if this is actually true or not, but I'd like more information from anyone who might know something. Perhaps better said: where on the spectrum between OK and imminent-risk/why-hasn't-this-collapsed-yet do WA's bridges sit, generally speaking?

I don't suffer from bridge fears personally, so that's not why I ask, but as an engineer (in a completely unrelated discipline) I'm interested in bridges and generally interested in transportation, urbanism, and infrastructure, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

effectual posted:

I wouldn't bother dragging yourself through the mud for some 11-th dimensional chess to skew their primary a few votes

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that, I was just curious what the results were going to be.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

minidracula posted:

Speaking of bridges, can people in the know engage in some bridgechat?

WSDOT has some good information on their website and this is the2014 summary report.

According to the website there are ~3000 bridges. 137 are in poor condition and 866 are structurally obsolete. 474 also need seismic retrofitting (there's probably some overlap between this and the ratings categories).

size1one fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 30, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

minidracula posted:

the overall impression I was left with is that many are ticking time bombs.

Some obvious caveats: it's a big state, and I don't really firmly remember all the details (if you can call them that), but I'm sure he didn't go all over the state to every single bridge; almost certainly his opinions were formed from whatever he worked on/looked at
Anecdote: Some of the middle-of-nowhere ones on the 5 south of Olympia looks like they are mostly rust.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Considering that we had a bridge collapse into a river just last year (two years ago?) and it made national news because that doesn't happen really anywhere else, I think our state probably has a Big loving Problem with bridge maintenance.

The good news is that all of them are going to fall apart when Rainier goes so it doesn't matter!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
gently caress bridges --St.Johns

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Considering that we had a bridge collapse into a river just last year (two years ago?) and it made national news because that doesn't happen really anywhere else, I think our state probably has a Big loving Problem with bridge maintenance.

The good news is that all of them are going to fall apart when Rainier goes so it doesn't matter!

Tbf that was accelerated thanks to being hit by a semi at speed.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
That one is a mile from me. Yeah, a truck hit it but a modern structure would have survived the blow. Anecdotally there's some other bad bridges in the area, including one that had severe stresses when I5 traffic was routed over it for all that time.

That list of decrepit / structurally obsolete bridges is haunting.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

I was thinking about the difference in population between Western and Eastern Oregon, and wondered what it would look like in a tile map. I put this together, and as you can see, it is pretty stark.

(this is a first draft, so its a little rough, but I think it is interesting)

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

glowing-fish posted:

I was thinking about the difference in population between Western and Eastern Oregon, and wondered what it would look like in a tile map. I put this together, and as you can see, it is pretty stark.

(this is a first draft, so its a little rough, but I think it is interesting)

This is dope, good work dude :)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Organizing population maps in a way that makes the slightest amount of sense relative to actual borders always seems like an impossible task to me, but you did a good job. Thanks for sharing!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love to see one of those for Washington. It also has pretty stark east/west differences.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love to see one of those for Washington. It also has pretty stark east/west differences.

I want to do a Washington one. I think it might be a little harder than the Oregon one.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Anybody else feel the earthquake last night?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

It's 2016.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Woah, hosed up if true

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Time is the fire in which we burn.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The days are so long, but the years go by so quickly.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I'm surprised that the Burns situation isn't being addressed in this thread. Maybe we should declare Burns part of Nevada and outside of the scope of this thread?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure this is the Western Washington/Oregon(and sometimes Alaska) thread. Eastern Oregon is almost another country.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

glowing-fish posted:

I'm surprised that the Burns situation isn't being addressed in this thread. Maybe we should declare Burns part of Nevada and outside of the scope of this thread?
Just call it Idaho so we can get rid of them, too.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

glowing-fish posted:

Burns is a problem that will solve it self.

Waco 2, Teargas Boogaloo

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
I'm seriously starting to wonder where people get all these stories and legends about Tacoma being some hive of scum and villainy. I mean yeah we had pretty bad gang violence in the 90's on Hilltop, but they act as if some evil witch cult is brewing dark energy to cause violence and/or riots out of thin air. What do you rational guys think of these Tacomaphobes? :stare:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Cleaned up version of the population map:

One thing that struck me about this map isn't the fact that the Portland area was so much bigger than the rest of the state (which I already knew), but that even the "rural" areas of the Willamette Valley are more populated than giant chunks of Eastern Oregon.

Polk County, which at 80,000 people is hardly considered to be a metropolis, is still as populous as the more than quarter of the state's area that makes up Lake, Harney, Malhour, Baker and Wallowa counties.

Which is somewhat related to what is going on in Burns right now: ranchers in Harney don't consist of some gigantic silent majority of the state's population, the population of that area is literally something like a third of the population of Troutdale.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

staticman posted:

I'm seriously starting to wonder where people get all these stories and legends about Tacoma being some hive of scum and villainy. I mean yeah we had pretty bad gang violence in the 90's on Hilltop, but they act as if some evil witch cult is brewing dark energy to cause violence and/or riots out of thin air. What do you rational guys think of these Tacomaphobes? :stare:

It's just silly now because Tacoma owns and you can get plenty of good food, good drink, nightlife, etc. without having to deal with the overpopulated Boeing/Microsoft sprawl of Seattle and King County. It's still one of those places that hasn't quite hit it big because despite all that other stuff there are still not many real loving jobs outside of the bullshit service economy.

I really wish Tacoma hadn't run all the Chinese out of town in the early 1900s though, because I would love to get some dim sum or hot pot without venturing to god drat Kent at the closest.

My long term prediction is that the economy will stall out and our country will hit a huge depression and Tacoma will become a crime-ridden shithole again, but that's just me being a doomsayer.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

staticman posted:

Part of it is true.

All that meth and asarco has given many of us black magic powers. :shopkeeper:

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 4, 2016

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
The ongoing situation in Malheur country right now is complete poo poo. The BLM/F&W are some of the most completely corrupt gov. departments I've had the displeasure of working for/with. As much as people love to dismiss anything east of Troutdale as rednecks being rednecks, the BLM and ODFW are railroading that family, and need to be held accountable for cutting off easements and public right of ways to, well.. the public especially since they were granted continued access rights to their land.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SeaborneClink posted:

The ongoing situation in Malheur country right now is complete poo poo. The BLM/F&W are some of the most completely corrupt gov. departments I've had the displeasure of working for/with. As much as people love to dismiss anything east of Troutdale as rednecks being rednecks, the BLM and ODFW are railroading that family, and need to be held accountable for cutting off easements and public right of ways to, well.. the public especially since they were granted continued access rights to their land.
It wasn't the BLM or the ODFW who decided that they needed to go back to prison to serve their federal minimum, fyi.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

staticman posted:

I'm seriously starting to wonder where people get all these stories and legends about Tacoma being some hive of scum and villainy. I mean yeah we had pretty bad gang violence in the 90's on Hilltop, but they act as if some evil witch cult is brewing dark energy black people to cause violence and/or riots out of thin air. What do you rational guys think of these Tacomaphobes racists? :stare:

ftfy

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SeaborneClink posted:

Whatever your own personal experience with these agencies, this event is just the Bundy family trying to extend their 15 minutes of ill-gotten fame from their illegal activities down in ranching country and raise their credit amongst mouth-breathing Tea Party lolbertarian retards.

Isobar
Apr 6, 2009

glowing-fish posted:

I want to do a Washington one. I think it might be a little harder than the Oregon one.

The east/west differences won't be as stark. Eastern Washington has significant population centers (Spokane, Tri-Cities, Yakima). Eastern Oregon has Bend (smaller than TC and Yakima, and way smaller than Spokane), and... that's it, as far as population centers of any significance.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN4DAuYD5m0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb8Oq83Uzb0

They just want to log the Malheur National Forest, and to give the power back to the people from the tyrannical oppressors of, uh, forest rangers

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

SeaborneClink posted:

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the Hammonds being scofflaws and repeat offenders.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's incredibly petty of me, but it annoys me to see headlines saying "OREGON MILITIA" when it's a bunch of out-of-state nutjobs that even the locals don't want anything to do with.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Jim McDermott gonna retire.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's incredibly petty of me, but it annoys me to see headlines saying "OREGON MILITIA" when it's a bunch of out-of-state nutjobs that even the locals don't want anything to do with.
"Portland resident"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Anyway, slightly more substantive thoughts. Here's my understanding of the situation (which may admittedly be flawed and/or incomplete):

The Hammonds were convicted of arson, at least one instance of which was alleged to have been done in order to cover up evidence of poaching.

A federal judge sentenced one of them to three months in jail, and the other to a full year in jail. The judge's opinion was that the mandatory five-year minimum sentence was grossly disproportionate to their acts and would have constituted cruel and unusual punishment.

The US attorney then pushed to appeal the sentence, arguing that the judge's sentence was illegally lenient. The prosecution won on appeal, and the Hammonds were ordered to serve out the remainder of the mandated five-year prison terms.

Honestly, I don't like the last part either. I don't like mandatory sentences, and I really don't like the idea of the government getting to appeal a sentence and get defendants' sentences increased. I can understand some outrage here.

However, in terms of building sympathy and raising public awareness about what may well be a bad law, a bunch of gun nuts seizing a federal building out in the middle of nowhere is just completely ineffective. Not to mention that most of their rhetoric doesn't even touch on that issue and is instead focused on shouting about BIG GOV'T TAKIN' OUR LAND (gently caress you, it's my land too, that's how public land works). It's pretty telling that even the Hammonds don't seem to want to have much to do with these assholes.

EDIT: saw this in the other thread and was too embarrassed not to correct myself here:

Kazak_Hstan posted:

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/hammond-v-united-states/

The statement of the case sections of the petition and response contain what appear to be reasonable synopses of the case. At least, they converge on most of the salient facts (other than whether the Hammonds were illegally hunting).

Whatever sympathy anyone has for them over the severity of the sentence or seeming triviality of the offense should note they were explicitly warned to stop starting fires without coordinating with BLM in 1999, two years prior to the first fire for which they were charged.

Whether they started a fire to cover up illegal hunting or not, the 2006 fire in which they started fired beneath wildland firefighters camped on a butte seems worth the five years. That's a really good way to get people killed.

Yeah, gently caress 'em.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 6, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm actually pretty sure the out-of-stater gun nuts don't even really give a poo poo about the convicted arsonists so much as they just found something they can stir up fellow gun nuts with in order to take on BIG GOV'T.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Someone get Janet Reno on the horn and we will get this sorted out posthaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

gohuskies posted:

Jim McDermott gonna retire.

drat. I'm going to miss having a boring election that I don't have to think about.

Was he effective/influential in Congress?

• Locked thread