Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Prepare yourself, it's going to get worse tomorrow and the next day, then hang around for another few days. You came out well though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BlackMK4 posted:

Prepare yourself, it's going to get worse tomorrow and the next day, then hang around for another few days. You came out well though.

That's what I'm dreading. Especially having to still go to work.

All I can say is I love this forum for all the gear stuff. Some of my guys at work have went down this year, and every single one has required intense work after it, even at lower speeds. Because all they wear is their uniform poo poo, and half wear skidlids.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

iwentdoodie posted:

I don't know how it'll work with pain and suffering since I'm military.

But overall, I'm decent. Ankle is sore as gently caress, hip is sore as gently caress, road rash loving blows (literally all that got rash is my god drat muffin top that got exposed), and neck is starting to hurt.

Looking back, I think I may have actually blacked out for a second. I remember me moving over, seeing her signal, trying to evade, a loud crunch...And then I was rolling. Stopped sliding, ran a 20yard dash that Usain Bolt couldn't have matched, then realized I could barely walk.

It was fun. 0/10 would not do again.

Already looking at bikes, just in case. If I had hosed up, or it was my fault, I would probably be more anxious...but I was doing everything right, and just couldn't evade away.

Wife smacked me when I tried to get her to stop at the BMW dealer on our way home.

Glad to hear you're OK. Sorry to hear about the brain injury, but it may be the case that wanting to stop at a BMW dealership is merely temporary and with lots of therapy you'll make a full recovery.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
Went down yesterday, my first ever accident. Ironically it happened as I was coming home from checking out a prospective new bike. 30° slope + ice + touched the brakes approaching a stop. Friendly notice to Seattle goons, they don't salt the roads down in Auburn. It was so slick I fell down trying to get the bike back up. I felt a bit less embarrassed when a minivan did a 180° fishtail not five minutes after I got the bike to the side of the road.

I'm fine, one small scrape on a knee. Was not wearing riding pants like a fool. One mirror snapped off, front brake lever snapped in half, left blinker hanging by it's wire, bar pushed left in the retainer. Wasn't sure whether it was still rideable so decided to ride it home to test. I'm alive so idk. Funniest part is that hanging blinker kept working all the way, the little light that could. :3:

Bike is worth so little I don't want to submit an insurance claim or get it repaired myself, probably will sell it as parts bike or use it as a project. Anyone want a free banged up GS500?

All in all 4/10, was exciting enough but will not recommend.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

EkardNT posted:

Bike is worth so little I don't want to submit an insurance claim or get it repaired myself, probably will sell it as parts bike or use it as a project. Anyone want a free banged up GS500?

Free bike best bike. Count me in~ Seriously though, just fix the fucker and continue about your day. Ice is a nasty mistress.

iwentdoodie: Gear did its job quite well :D

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

iwentdoodie posted:

Wife smacked me when I tried to get her to stop at the BMW dealer on our way home.

Hahahaha! The military doesn't like to drug its soldiers/sailors/marines/airmen. You being military shouldn't do anything to hurt your case. IIRC, you get free lawyers as a perk. I forget, I never tried to use 'em. When I was in the Navy, they required hi-viz and poo poo. What the gently caress at these skid lids.

Holy gently caress, that helmet didn't give a poo poo!

EkardNT posted:

Went down yesterday, my first ever accident. Ironically it happened as I was coming home from checking out a prospective new bike. 30° slope + ice + touched the brakes approaching a stop. Friendly notice to Seattle goons, they don't salt the roads down in Auburn. It was so slick I fell down trying to get the bike back up. I felt a bit less embarrassed when a minivan did a 180° fishtail not five minutes after I got the bike to the side of the road.

I'm fine, one small scrape on a knee. Was not wearing riding pants like a fool. One mirror snapped off, front brake lever snapped in half, left blinker hanging by it's wire, bar pushed left in the retainer. Wasn't sure whether it was still rideable so decided to ride it home to test. I'm alive so idk. Funniest part is that hanging blinker kept working all the way, the little light that could. :3:

These are the best stories. I take these as a warning from the bike gods when they happen to me (I have been down more than once...yet I have a perfect auto record!) because there's usually some obvious way I could've avoided it and they're impacting enough to be a serious slap to the face. I don't know about you, though, I wasn't there. What year is your bike? Just curious, I don't need another bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

EkardNT posted:

Went down yesterday

ice

You gotta pick your battles with this. Seattle area is good for riding most of the year if you like to be damp but ice doesn't gently caress around.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

clutchpuck posted:

You gotta pick your battles with this. Seattle area is good for riding most of the year if you like to be damp but ice doesn't gently caress around.

At least he's got ice for an excuse. I lost my front end over wet lane markings when I had my "off".

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

YF19pilot posted:

At least he's got ice for an excuse. I lost my front end over wet lane markings when I had my "off".

We've got some spots, two that are foremost in my mind, on the highway that's near my house. They painted these enormous arrows (they're almost as wide as the lane, so 3-4' across) with paint so slippery it's shiny when it's not raining. I hit one once when I was first riding on the highway and now I actively avoid them. Slippery/wet paint is no joke.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do they use the reflective moondust paint over there? Like it looks like it has little tiny grains of glass or something and it reflects light directly back to the source to some extent. That poo poo is insanely slippery.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
All I want for Christmas is rubberised manhole covers, and death to those dumb metal studs they put on pedestrian crossings at traffic lights.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Do they use the reflective moondust paint over there? Like it looks like it has little tiny grains of glass or something and it reflects light directly back to the source to some extent. That poo poo is insanely slippery.

They do here in Montana, looks like a fine sand when they apply it to the wet paint, and they are quite liberal with the amount they throw down.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Slavvy posted:

I don't think they do, but the paint dries pretty smooth, they apply it thick, and the markings are placed like every 100m and after every intersection in case you forget which lane is for scooters and which is cars only.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Typically they use the tiny glass bead stuff, which makes a glorious retroreflective coating. I've never had slipping issues with that stuff.

The stuff they painted the arrows near me with, though, is very shiny, not reflective at all, and slippery as goose poo poo. I guess they were trying out some "road paints" in Portland, too, to mark bike lanes and whatnot, and that stuff ended up being crazy slippery. Cyclists were going through intersections and eating pavement because of them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What about that thing where the 'line' is actually hundreds of tiny little globs of paint? That poo poo is, paradoxically, much more slippery than just a plain line I've noticed. Ditto with the ribbed-for-her-pleasure lane divider lines.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
I work with contractors who install traffic paint. The retro reflective glass beads are super slippery. For the long lines they apply them mechanically, but the small things like arrows, stop bars, crosswalks, etc. are thrown down by hand. You can walk on the overspray of beads on asphalt or concrete and slide on them. Be careful around that poo poo, especially when new.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

EkardNT posted:

If you part it out, I need carbs and body panels (not the fairing). My username at gmail if you want to contact me directly.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Friend just wrecked her Harley 48 into a median on the thruway. She's apparently okay and waiting with Highway Patrol, thinks a rib may be broken and the key broke off in the ignition. Waiting to hear more but mostly I'm thanking every single loving tiki god that she's not worse off.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

:O What happened?

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Shimrod posted:

:O What happened?

Don't know yet. Just know she's being seen to. Would not be surprised if it was because it's Los Angeles in the rain, when the roads expel months and months of drought-famished oil slick and everyone drives like it's the end times.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Squirrel Burger posted:

everyone drives like it's the end times.

We have the same thing in Eugene, OR. It rains 24/7. Everyone acts like it's snowing if it weren't for the random braking and swerving. We drive like it's a hot day in California in the snow, however, because "I have 4WD."

Hope her bike's ok (because it sounds like she is).

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Got her home. Bike is pretty thrashed, everything on the left side is bent, scratched, or missing entirely. The Harley dealership is gonna be closed through January 2nd so we're getting the ball rolling on the insurance claim and taking photos.

As far as the circumstances: She was on the 110 and in the exit lane, slowing for the off-ramp. Some jackass merged into her and didn't stop even when she honked. He drove her into a rainslick and she lowsided into the median. The guy just loving drove off and three people passed her. Thankfully, her gremlin bell apparently worked because a highway patrol officer who loves bikes stopped and stayed with her until the tow came.

No clue how bad the damage is. This is why I always wear my action cam, and I'm getting a Sena 10c for her since her SMH10R is hosed.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Squirrel Burger posted:

Got her home. Bike is pretty thrashed, everything on the left side is bent, scratched, or missing entirely. The Harley dealership is gonna be closed through January 2nd so we're getting the ball rolling on the insurance claim and taking photos.

As far as the circumstances: She was on the 110 and in the exit lane, slowing for the off-ramp. Some jackass merged into her and didn't stop even when she honked. He drove her into a rainslick and she lowsided into the median. The guy just loving drove off and three people passed her. Thankfully, her gremlin bell apparently worked because a highway patrol officer who loves bikes stopped and stayed with her until the tow came.

No clue how bad the damage is. This is why I always wear my action cam, and I'm getting a Sena 10c for her since her SMH10R is hosed.

Take pictures of the gear, helmet and Sena. Some companies cover that under accessories (yes, including your boots!) Might as well give it a try. Besides, if you catch the fucker, his insurance WILL pay for it.

What a piece of poo poo, though, running off like that. What the gently caress is wrong w/ people? Makes me wonder if it was intentional.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Verge posted:

Makes me wonder if it was intentional.

SMIDSY

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Sure, but did you hear me hit you, sir?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Couldn't hear the impact either, over the sound of whoever was on the other end of their cell phone.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's always this. Experience has shown me that people who are deliberately trying to hit you tend to flail around ineffectually and don't know how to position their car for maximum harm, but the ones doing it by accident have pin-point accuracy and deadly timing.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Welp, looks like my friend's insurance (Progressive plan through Harley Davidson) doesn't cover her situation. Guess the bike is wrecked and she's just hosed. Damage assessment in January and we'll see where to go from there.

Her Reevu held up admirably, though. She just doesn't wanna think about riding for a while.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Squirrel Burger posted:

Welp, looks like my friend's insurance (Progressive plan through Harley Davidson) doesn't cover her situation. Guess the bike is wrecked and she's just hosed. Damage assessment in January and we'll see where to go from there.

Her Reevu held up admirably, though. She just doesn't wanna think about riding for a while.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I think it's an area where, much like a deer, you're better off getting hit from an insurance perspective. It's on place though where a camera might actually save you - if you can show the person just merged into you then you might be able to claim against them.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Squirrel Burger posted:

Sounds like some bullshit to me. Can't she file an uninsured motorist claim at least? That's what full coverage is for, and why state farm is the best.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SaNChEzZ posted:

Sounds like some bullshit to me. Can't she file an uninsured motorist claim at least? That's what full coverage is for, and why state farm is the best.

In California you have to be able to prove the other party is uninsured before you can file a UIM claim. So with no identity of the guy that caused the accident, nothing insurance can do.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

In California you have to be able to prove the other party is uninsured before you can file a UIM claim. So with no identity of the guy that caused the accident, nothing insurance can do.

Still seems weird, when I got hit (in California) the lady's coverage was state minimum, and to fund the rest of my claim they filed it as an uninsured motorist claim on my behalf, even though the lady was insured.

And since it was a hit and run its her story vs. Nobody's. I would probably contact an insurance attorney, personally.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

SaNChEzZ posted:

Still seems weird, when I got hit (in California) the lady's coverage was state minimum, and to fund the rest of my claim they filed it as an uninsured motorist claim on my behalf, even though the lady was insured.

And since it was a hit and run its her story vs. Nobody's. I would probably contact an insurance attorney, personally.

It was probably UNDERinsures motorist protection. And that could be proven since you had her insurance information. Uninsured motorist is a bitch to prove in California.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So are all hit and run victims just hosed? This is a serious question, I have no idea how that works. Or is there some sort of umbrella that covers hit and runs?

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

SaNChEzZ posted:

So are all hit and run victims just hosed? This is a serious question, I have no idea how that works. Or is there some sort of umbrella that covers hit and runs?

You're basically hosed. Always wear an action cam.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yeah. Unless your insurance covers uninsured drivers, right? I was pretty sure I made that a part of my insurance coverage. Because, you know, we live in California and there is a pretty sizable group of uninsured drivers here who choose to flee the scene of the accident. :allears:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
there is a difference between uninsured motorist property damage and uninsured motorist personal injury as well, or at least with geico in maine

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

SaNChEzZ posted:

Not every state has the same burden of proof, but for the most part in CA if you get hit and ran, yes you are going to be paying your deductible. In CA I don't care how old/new your vehicle is maker sure you have full coverage.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

Not every state has the same burden of proof, but for the most part in CA if you get hit and ran, yes you are going to be paying your deductible. In CA I don't care how old/new your vehicle is maker sure you have full coverage.

That's exactly what I mean, dude made it sound like even with deductible payment, insurance wasn't going to do anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

In CA you have to prove the party is uninsured so yeah, hit and runs aren't covered under UM. It'll be covered under collision if you have it, which is why Sal is saying keep the coverage on your cars.

• Locked thread