Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
barkley: shut up and jam: gaiden is the best rpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont know how to tell you this but most people don't play the same video game seven times

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I enjoy JRPGs less than I did as a child. I assume this is because games have changed, and not me

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
lufia 2 is a really great game about a dumb adventurer who decided that ditches his childhood friend to nail a royal wizard, and when the big bad shows up to abduct your newly born son, you immediately go on a murderous rampage, killing every monster on the planet to hunt him down

eventually you recruit a loving elf and a scientist and a whole bunch of poo poo happens, and not once along the way do you go "loving puzzles, again?!"

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Kokoro Wish posted:

Breath of Fire 3 was like, my favorite J-RPG on the PSX, yo. Grandia 1 was also pretty enjoyable.

i have beaten bof 3 like 4 times and each time i enjoy it about as much as the time before

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kokoro Wish posted:

Breath of Fire 3 was like, my favorite J-RPG on the PSX, yo. Grandia 1 was also pretty enjoyable.

I want to like Breath of Fire 3. I really do. But then I start it up and nobody uses periods and it's like an entire game of GBS posts

cheetah7071 posted:

I enjoy JRPGs less than I did as a child. I assume this is because games have changed, and not me

I mean, this isn't necessarily wrong. I played Grandia 1 for the first time this year, no rose-tinted glasses, and it was definitely my poo poo.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
is Stella Glow good? I haven't used my 3DS in a while and was thinking of buying something for it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Gamma Nerd posted:

is Stella Glow good? I haven't used my 3DS in a while and was thinking of buying something for it.

Yeah I wouldn't do that.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Nakar posted:

I'm not sure I can even distinguish which games were PSX and which were PS2 anymore but I'll try. I would also answer differently in terms of "most fun to play" vs. "most influential." Some that might fall kind of in the middle of the two points would be like Valkyrie Profile, Legend of Mana, Parasite Eve, and the early Tales games. There's also stuff like Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy Tactics, and the first two Star Oceans that I'm not sure where I'd categorize them on that continuum, and I'd probably put Suikoden 1&2 in with them somewhere, wherever that is. And influential but extremely flawed games like FF7-9 and Xenogears, and experimental games of mixed success like the SaGa Frontiers and Vagrant Story. If Symphony of the Night is considered an RPG that's a big one too, but I'm not sure whether I consider it one (I suppose Parasite Eve is also questionable).
Ya I see where you are coming from in that all of the games you list did something unique in a sense. To me the uniqueness of Suikoden 2 is that it tried to sculpt a decent story in an epic that spanned two games, and I think it was successful in that regard so I consider it a mostly great game for its time.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

from what i've read it's an above average although not exceptional sprg. im waiting for a sale

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

The White Dragon posted:

I want to like Breath of Fire 3. I really do. But then I start it up and nobody uses periods and it's like an entire game of GBS posts
The translations of the earlier Breath of Fire games were usually okay, if pretty simplistic and literal. But every now and then they'd swerve hard and end up in that untamed wilderness where Ar Tonelico 2's translation dwells. I can't remember which of the first three was the worst in that respect but I vaguely recall it might've been 2's.

Rascyc posted:

Ya I see where you are coming from in that all of the games you list did something unique in a sense. To me the uniqueness of Suikoden 2 is that it tried to sculpt a decent story in an epic that spanned two games, and I think it was successful in that regard so I consider it a mostly great game for its time.
I suppose if you look at it as a whole series there is a lot there in terms of striving for continuity and progression, even if 4/T and 5 stepped away from that and more toward fleshing out the world. Had Suikoden built up to the thing its original creator was hinting toward it might be different for me, since it'd be fairly unique to have a 4 or 5 game series that builds an epic confrontation up and then pays it off in the final game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Gamma Nerd posted:

buy the dragon quest games for the ds instead

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gamma Nerd posted:

I heard that it's decent fun but probably not worth the Atlus Tax. Wait about a year for it to fall into the "gets put on sale every other week" category.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Nakar posted:

I suppose if you look at it as a whole series there is a lot there in terms of striving for continuity and progression, even if 4/T and 5 stepped away from that and more toward fleshing out the world. Had Suikoden built up to the thing its original creator was hinting toward it might be different for me, since it'd be fairly unique to have a 4 or 5 game series that builds an epic confrontation up and then pays it off in the final game.
I honestly don't care about S3 and beyond cause it feels like they started to bend backwards to make it work. S1+S2 felt like a planned story and much of the cast has overlaps.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm so mad I missed anime talk!!

Best anime-like game is Mana Khemia.

Edit: Awww, I got reminded about how much I liked FFIX with that trailer.

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 1, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Rascyc posted:

I honestly don't care about S3 and beyond cause it feels like they started to bend backwards to make it work. S1+S2 felt like a planned story and much of the cast has overlaps.
I'm sure there were reasons for that, though I don't know what they were exactly (other than obviously maintaining the series past its original vision, whatever it was, due to people leaving). But you do make a fair point that there's a lot of attempts at connectivity there even in the later games. Suikoden 5's plot has basically nothing to do with 4's but they manage to reference it and try to make it seem relevant. It's something of a step up in writing quality to go beyond "Hey, remember the Island Nations exist?" and have the Prince's dad be from there and have there be some political ramifications from that.

Suikoden is kind of like FFT in that it's at its best when it's more grounded politically and kinda loses something when it tries to be more magical. To its credit the series often uses the protagonist's rune power as an actual driving force for the story rather than just a thing that makes them awesome, and as a source of conflict (Soul Eater and Punishment threatening the protagonist's life, Bright Shield and Black Sword being destined to oppose each other, etc.).

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm so mad I missed anime talk!!

Best anime-like game is Mana Khemia.
People said Atelier Shallie's combat was like Mana Khemia's but it's a pale imitation of it. Not that it's bad, but MK1 is one of the more entertaining turn-based systems I've ever seen with some very clever mechanics and it doesn't stack up to that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gamma Nerd posted:

i really liked stella glow but it depends on if you liked luminous arc for the og DS or not, because it's basically 'luminous arc but better'

like luminous arc was 7/10, stella glow is 8/10

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nakar posted:

People said Atelier Shallie's combat was like Mana Khemia's but it's a pale imitation of it. Not that it's bad, but MK1 is one of the more entertaining turn-based systems I've ever seen with some very clever mechanics and it doesn't stack up to that.
escha and logy has the best atelier combat

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Endorph posted:

Interesting, why do you say that? I don't necessarily disagree, though I think I prefer MK1 but I'm less keen on MK2 for some reason. I thought E&L was mostly alright but the positioning aspect wasn't as important as it seemed like it should be and toward the end it was all about setting up for a Double Draw that would humiliate every other party member's damage output. It was cool how they sort of anticipated that and gave Logy the best item to lead with and Escha the best item to close off with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The party member mechanics were cool and I generally like systems that let you use the entire (or at least most of, considering the DLC and the fact that you have one guy just kinda hanging around) party in some way or another.

Positioning was barely a thing, but I didn't really mind. And yeah, Double Draw was busted.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I liked that, in a game about alchemists, alchemy was stronger than hitting things with swords

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Using the whole party is a good thing, yes. That's what I liked about Mana Khemia, how swapping in and out frequently was not only encouraged but optimal. I also liked some of the mechanics like timecard manipulation. There are ways to create and destroy timecards in the Dusk games (at least in E&L and Shallie, I almost never used any items in Ayesha) but it's not the same as "this character can block an enemy timecard and damage the enemy that set it up, or cancel one of your beneficial timecards to heal or buff."

Actually I think that sort of gets at why I preferred MK1 to MK2: The characters were more skewed in what they did and the MK2 cast is a bit less unique in terms of their abilities. It's pretty awesome getting Anna to take a dozen turns and then guessing when the RNG's not going to favor her so you can start a chain.

cheetah7071 posted:

I liked that, in a game about alchemists, alchemy was stronger than hitting things with swords
I liked that you could finally make extensive use of items. Recharging things back in town was a really nice idea and good for encouraging experimenting with stuff even if you were still early in the game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I want to say that pricing Stella Glow at $50 was dumb, but I guess it makes sense for Atlus since it probably won't sell much and there won't be any future titles, so might as well make the most out of what sales you can get.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

hubris.height posted:

buy the dragon quest games for the ds instead

i hate dragon quest

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dragon quest 5 was really cool but I came imagine the other games have half as much charm and I know they all have the same boring rear end combat

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I enjoyed Dragon Quest 8 but that's partially because I hadn't played a Dragon Quest since 3. I imagine it's a tough series to binge on unless you just really love how it plays.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Dragon quest 5 was really cool but I came imagine the other games have half as much charm and I know they all have the same boring rear end combat

why would playing and enjoying a game in a series make you instantly assume that the rest are significantly worse?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Motto posted:

why would playing and enjoying a game in a series make you instantly assume that the rest are significantly worse?

I find that writing/story quality doesn't actually carry over mitch between entries in a series. Gameplay quality usually does.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Nakar posted:

I enjoyed Dragon Quest 8 but that's partially because I hadn't played a Dragon Quest since 3. I imagine it's a tough series to binge on unless you just really love how it plays.

I liked Dragon Quest 8, but mostly because Yangus at one point exclaims, "You what? Yer 'avin' a girraffe, intcha!?" and that just had me in stitches. Also my entire party were unarmed throughout, people could go super saiyan and the Jessica could get a spell that was basically this.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
i'll probably get EO2U instead of Stella Glow but I can't resist the allure of a Mitsuda soundtrack, especially not if the game is anime as gently caress

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
To answer the original "what PSX rpg's were great" question, the answer is FF7, FF9, FFT, Parasite Eve, Xenogears (notice a trend?), BOF3, Suiko2, Tactics Ogre, Wild Arms, Saga Frontier... Having trouble thinking of others, but I'm sure there are plenty I never played.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

bloodychill posted:

To answer the original "what PSX rpg's were great" question, the answer is FF7, FF9, FFT, Parasite Eve, Xenogears (notice a trend?), BOF3, Suiko2, Tactics Ogre, Wild Arms, Saga Frontier... Having trouble thinking of others, but I'm sure there are plenty I never played.

Can't make that list without Vagrant Story in it.

:c00lbert:

I slightly prefer BoF 4 over 3, the dragon stuff was a lot better in 3 but the dungeons could really drag on in that game and I can't help but appreciate what a hilariously dark game 4 was, it's just a non-stop rollercoaster of depression.

Also while I recognize that it probably doesn't belong on that list, I'll always have a soft spot for Legend of Dragoon. Lavitz was a true bro.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I always say Vagrant Story is my favourite RPG (or sometimes Xenogears) but unfortunately it's a lot more fun to remember it than to actually play it nowadays. :/

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sakurazuka posted:

I always say Vagrant Story is my favourite RPG (or sometimes Xenogears) but unfortunately it's a lot more fun to remember it than to actually play it nowadays. :/

I played and finished it about a year back and it's still a great game in my opinion, the only legit annoying thing about it is the fact that your container is saved on your memory card which makes transferring items for crafting a lot more tedious than it ought to be. That part aside I found that it has aged a lot better than most PS1 games, though it helped that I actually understood the affinity system this time around instead of ignoring the tutorial about it and plinking at bosses for 1 damage at a time.

Plus I love atmospheric games and that game oozes the stuff.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Any suggestions for RPGS/JRPGS that would scratch my itch for Earthbound like games? I'm on this trend because of Undertale, and LISA the Painful/Joyful. Played Mother 3 before, mostly looking for newer games if possible. I'd be down to try RPG maker games as well if they are any good.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nakar posted:

The translations of the earlier Breath of Fire games were usually okay, if pretty simplistic and literal. But every now and then they'd swerve hard and end up in that untamed wilderness where Ar Tonelico 2's translation dwells. I can't remember which of the first three was the worst in that respect but I vaguely recall it might've been 2's.

The translations of the first three games aren't that great but 2 was the worst offender yeah. While BoF 1's translation had abbreviations everywhere and was inaccurate, BoF 2 was overly accurate to the point that it sounded like complete gibberish, even if it was technically correct. I could only play through it with a relocalization patch which also added a sprint button to the game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gamma Nerd posted:

I like it quite a bit, but I also Gamefly'ed it. I think 50 bucks might be too much but it's a pretty solid game overall. It even has SRW style skill points which is neat because instead of rewarding points for an ending, it gives you bonus items which can help you along.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's definitely not worth 50 bucks, especially with how frequent Atlus drops their price. You can either wait a couple months for fire emblems, or try the devil survivor 2 (that's on sale of sorts) if you really need a sprg fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I just finished To The Moon, which is not really an RPG but it's an enjoyable enough RPG Maker product to get some love here. Worth it for any of you who have not played it. Great way to spend 4 or so hours.