Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Entropic posted:

He's the only one who actually ever felt alien.

I always had a soft spot for Quark though, because it was good to have a main cast member who didn't buy into Federation ideology in the slightest.

Quark is cool but he's removed enough from the main plot stuff that I don't see him as a main cast member.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Quark is cool but he's removed enough from the main plot stuff that I don't see him as a main cast member.

He's in literally every episode, isn't he?

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

would

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Entropic posted:

He's in literally every episode, isn't he?

There's a handful he isn't in, but he's around a hell of a lot more than Jake.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

There's a handful he isn't in, but he's around a hell of a lot more than Jake.

Typical Jake episode:

Sisko: "Jake, stop hanging around that scumbag Nog".

Jake: "But Dad, we're multiculturalists, that means we have to accept the Ferengi no matter how sleazy and horrible they are".

Sisko: 'gently caress, you're right"

Nog: "Come on Jake, let's go roofie some Dabo girls"

Sisko: "god damnit".

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Watching DS9 for the first time. Up to season 3 and this is already the best.

Isn't it kind of sad the best thing in the franchise is the least known, and yet everyone knows Voyager? That show was so lovely I couldn't ever make it through a full episode, not that I tried much.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Just pick a Doctor- or Seven-focused episode at random and you'll probably hit something halfway decent.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Why does that zoom to his feet? I am confused.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
only way to see the amount of effort someone went to just to make neelix feet

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

The General posted:

Why does that zoom to his feet? I am confused.

Lol, just lol, if you're not masturbating to his hairy, happy, hoedown feet.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You know I bet you there are scenes where he has normal feet and is wearing shoes.

Like that sky elevator episode, must have him going up and down a ladder at least once.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

he's not wearing shoes because he's at the holodeck beach resort

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's a really stupid nerd metric, but I found I can just about sum up any nerd based on their opinion of DS9. It was strange because I was at a get together with some of my existing friends and another social group of sort of friend-of-friends. After getting to know a lot of the people there I could quickly separate the people into "cool people I like" and "kinda weird nerds". Some how star trek came up and people's opinion of DS9 perfectly matched my existing opinion of the person. Everyone I got along with and liked was down with DS9, everyone I thought was a bit off or annoying really didn't like DS9.

Opinions on JJ trek were all over the place and didn't seem to line up with anything, but the "DS9 affinity test" seemed to have perfect results for judging a person.

It seems the main things people didn't like about DS9 were all the actually good points:
"The plots were too political rather than about exploration"
"All the characters have weird dark sides, people in star trek are supposed to be above those traits"
"It showed the federation as sometimes being evil and corrupt, this is so against star trek canon"
"The sets are so dark and weird looking"
"Sisko was weird and crazy and religious, I don't want religion in my star trek! Remember when Picard gave that speech against religion? That was cool, I hate religion even in fiction."
"The main cast often have drama or conflicting goals rather than working together as a respectful united team, half of them aren't even in star fleet (a few people specifically hated Kira above all others for not respecting and obeying Sisko enough)"
"Sisko works with and turns a blind eye to criminals, he isn't a good starfleet officer"
"There's so many episodes about war and genocide and politics, star trek should be positive and optimistic"

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
The DS9 affinty test is also a good way to find the secret racists

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Mike the TV posted:

The DS9 affinty test is also a good way to find the secret racists

I just shout "Hiel Hitler!" and snap off a straight arm our salute while clicking my heels together and if they applaud or do it back they are racist.

Or I just watch for when they are burning crosses on their lawn.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol, no wonder CBS is suing those fan film guys. They're selling poo poo with pictures of their fake Star Trek ships on it. Not the brightest idea.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

muscles like this? posted:

Lol, no wonder CBS is suing those fan film guys. They're selling poo poo with pictures of their fake Star Trek ships on it. Not the brightest idea.

its really easy to find all sorts of unofficial merch being sold in low volumes by fans, i wonder how close to the sun one can fly before catching the eye of The Lawyers

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Uhh, aren't like 75% of DS9's plots facilitated by Quark's criminal enterprises? If a terrorist or a bioweapon or an assassin makes it on board it's almost always Quark's fault. Also there are a bunch of episodes where Odo utilizes Quark as an informant or criminal consultant, unreliable though he may be. He's sidelined in much of the main plot, however, resigned to chatting up the more involved characters in those episodes.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Filthy Hans posted:

Uhh, aren't like 75% of DS9's plots facilitated by Quark's criminal enterprises? If a terrorist or a bioweapon or an assassin makes it on board it's almost always Quark's fault. Also there are a bunch of episodes where Odo utilizes Quark as an informant or criminal consultant, unreliable though he may be. He's sidelined in much of the main plot, however, resigned to chatting up the more involved characters in those episodes.

This makes him all the better.

He's basically Humphrey Bogart from Casablanca in space.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Baronjutter posted:

It seems the main things people didn't like about DS9 were all the actually good points:

Yeah, I think the real question here is whether or not your taste, or your taste in space shows, or even just your taste in Star Trek grows and develops and if you get tired of candy after a while. Star Trek reached Peak Optimism in TNG and coasted for seven seasons with only a handful of Starfleet people being unpleasant or interesting. Then there was a fork in the road. If you liked watching a bunch of sweetheart goodguys triumph over yet another space jellyfish using inspiration and teamwork, you were down with Voyager. If you had enough of that and wanted to see some people deal drugs, lie and yell at each other, you liked DS9.

Now it's all hosed up. The JJTrek movies aren't a critique of Uncle Gene's Vision, they're totally oblivious to it. If you tried to explain that poo poo to the characters, they'd be totally baffled and you wouldn't get to finish because something would blow up and everyone would start kung-fu fighting. Like, your big introduction to Starfleet was Pike going "Hey, you should join up, we're a peacekeeping armada" right before McCoy came running into the frame and said "HEY EVERYONE I'M MCCOY DAMMIT JIM I'M A DOCTOR NOT A BONES"

Aaaaaand we have the looming specter of the new TV series, which is going to be built on the philosophical ground of monetizing the brand and drawing ad buys to CBS Digital

Jesus christ, did those ANAXANAR dipshits really start selling merch? I would have bet a lot of money on the script being the dumbest part of the production.

Tujague fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 2, 2016

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Yes they did. Buy your Axanar Coffee today!

http://www.axanarcoffee.com/

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Oh my loving god ha ha ha

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Evek posted:

Yes they did. Buy your Axanar Coffee today!

http://www.axanarcoffee.com/

"One to...bean up!"

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
that coffee its...

...without honor

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

When I first scrolled down, I saw this:

not bad imo

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
yah i appreciated it, guy rebounded my failed half court space wall tennis thing and turned it into a slam dunk

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Tujague posted:

Yeah, I think the real question here is whether or not your taste, or your taste in space shows, or even just your taste in Star Trek grows and develops and if you get tired of candy after a while. Star Trek reached Peak Optimism in TNG and coasted for seven seasons with only a handful of Starfleet people being unpleasant or interesting. Then there was a fork in the road. If you thought watching a bunch of sweetheart goodguys triumph over yet another space jellyfish using inspiration and teamwork, you were down with Voyager. If you had enough of that and wanted to see some people deal drugs, lie and yell at each other, you liked DS9.

It's the reason after seeing DS9, I could not stomach Voyager. To me, DS9 was so great, Voyager just made me frustrated and bored.

Also, no Garak, so that was a deal breaker.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I couldn't even go back to TNG after DS9. I thought I'd always love TNG but it seems so beige and polyester and without character compared.
Also my friend watched all of TNG together with a new girl friend who wasn't that big into trek but she loved it. Then they moved into ds9 and she was "having a hard time getting into it" and complained it was "too dark". They broke up soon after.

Failed the DS9 test.

Also Garak owns. Meeting him in person and just chatting about DS9 and Garak was a highlight of my teen nerd days. I got a photo signed with "never tell the same lie twice" from him. He was also telling us that him and some of the writers really wanted to push the whole "garak is pan-sexual as gently caress" angle but there was too much push back from above. If anyone found Garak and Bashir's interactions a bit flirty it's because that was fully his intention.

From another local nerd convention they had Dukat. This was late 90's or early2000's so some of my friends were still under-aged but were working for the convention. Before the show officially started one of my friends was at the little bar they have and Dukat slides up next to her on a bar stool and saw she had a drink too. He laid on some introductory flirty charm but quickly tried to assess her age. When he found out she was only18 he got pretty fussy that she was technically breaking a rule, and he went into a rant about how no it's not ok what she's doing it's technically illegal and laws are very important and she needed to leave. She left not wanting to get on Dukat's bad side.

She could never quite tell if he was just "in character" and loving with her or not, but said the whole scene played out as if it was lifted straight from DS9.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 2, 2016

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

PassTheRemote posted:

It's the reason after seeing DS9, I could not stomach Voyager. To me, DS9 was so great, Voyager just made me frustrated and bored.

Also, no Garak, so that was a deal breaker.

Although once you watch Battlestar Galactica you realise it beats DS9 at it's own game.

Also: that Cylon woman who keeps banging that Dr Bashir-wannabe guy, great rack character.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

DarkMalfunction posted:

Although once you watch Battlestar Galactica you realise it beats DS9 at it's own game.

Oh for sure man. Enjoy the gently caress out of those endless Jamie Bamber mainplot episodes. Watch Chief Tyrol's lovely marriage drama up front and constantly rather than have Chief Miles who would at least take a loving break from it every once and a while.

Battlestar Galactica would be lucky to make the same top 10 list as Babylon 5,. It cannot even sniff DS9's upper pylons.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I just watched this goofy 80's horror movie Night of the Comet and it's got Robert Beltran in it. Whole time I was just thinking "Dammit, Chakotay could have been an interesting character."

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Baronjutter posted:

She could never quite tell if he was just "in character" and loving with her or not, but said the whole scene played out as if it was lifted straight from DS9.

If he was just acting as Dukat IRL then the man is a treasure imo.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Chomp8645 posted:

If he was just acting as Dukat IRL then the man is a treasure imo.

If he was Dukat IRL he would have ended up loving her, then sending her to a labor camp.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Animal-Mother posted:

I just watched this goofy 80's horror movie Night of the Comet and it's got Robert Beltran in it. Whole time I was just thinking "Dammit, Chakotay could have been an interesting character."

He was the villain in the exceptional HBO original movie El Diablo, too. His talent was wasted on Voyager.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

shadow puppet of a posted:

Oh for sure man. Enjoy the gently caress out of those endless Jamie Bamber mainplot episodes. Watch Chief Tyrol's lovely marriage drama up front and constantly rather than have Chief Miles who would at least take a loving break from it every once and a while.

Battlestar Galactica would be lucky to make the same top 10 list as Babylon 5,. It cannot even sniff DS9's upper pylons.

Yeah I really wanted to like BSG, but it was just too much. They turned the gritty space drama and deeply flawed characters with secret dark sides up to 11 with no breaks. I enjoyed breaking bad, but all the non-stop tension and drama seemed to make sense and you had characters like Saul to breathe a little joy into the show here and here. But BSG was to drama what JJ-trek is to action. There's just too much without any breaks and you become numb to it, or worse it starts to become annoying.

In DS9 the drama and character flaws were believable. Even well developed sane space people had some issues, but overall they were pretty good people and friends. BSG felt like the writers were twisting the limits of the plot and characters to shove as much drama into every scene as possible. I never really liked anyone on BSG other than Saul because he was just space Jim Lahey, so I didn't give a poo poo about their drama or their happiness or goals. Plus so much of the drama stemmed from really stupid or contrived plots.

Both DS9 and BSG ended up leaning on supernatural or religious plots. A lot of people found the last episodes of DS9 leaned too heavily on the whole Pah-Wraith poo poo, but then they doubled down on the religious angle in BSG.
BSG is like everything both good and bad about DS9 dialed up to the point of unpleasantness.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The Pah-Wraiths aren't even that big of a derail to the plot. They exist, like the Prophets, outside of the Dominion vs Alpha Quadrant conflict and they serve to book-end the beginning and the end of the show. It's not terribly Star Trek-like to have a magical red-eyed devil man be the final confrontation, but it's pretty worth it to have Sisko ascend to supreme godhood.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Baronjutter posted:

Plus so much of the drama stemmed from really stupid or contrived plots.
This exactly as well, it was so bad in BSG that I didn't even want to bring it up to have to think about it. So much of the entire show revolved around 'broken telephone' and 'oh you just missed them' contrivances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, the whole worm-hole-aliens plot was just one of many plots of DS9 and like you said served as a book-end. In BSG the whole religious prophesy stuff ends up totally taking over the show with no room for anything else.
In season 1 of BSG I thought they were going to do something interesting with the religious angle. Show how in stressful situations people can turn to rather extreme forms of superstitions to explain what the gently caress is going on, assign blame, or avoid future pain. I thought all the ancient prophesy stuff would end up being ambiguous, with some people seeing proof and others coincidence or stretched interpretations. I was really hoping they'd play things ambiguous the whole series, with the religion/prophesy angle always being something in the background while the central plot being focused on humanity's more real-world needs and challenges.

Nope, god is real, both sides are fighting over his favour and playing along in a really hosed up repeating prophesy and everything is meaningless and pre-determined.

• Locked thread