Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
That entire channel is good. I recommend the one about the 255 coin limit. An absolute masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

someday someone will use this for something ironic. today is not that day.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is this related to the Tick Tock Clock thing?

e: tick tock clock thing = some $1000 bug bounty for instantly teleporting around tick tock clock from like 6 months ago
e2: same dude, different TTC thing

Phone fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 31, 2015

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

pannenkoek hell of rules

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dr. Stab posted:

Yes. Everyone is now playing on iQue on the space station.
Surely someone will figure out a way to just modify an old microwave or something for the same effect

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Suspicious Dish posted:

The Mario 64 metagame continues. I want to figure out how to bring this guy to a marathon.

https://youtu.be/vaJOVyfPaBE

i like this man's videos because they're ulillillia level deep dives on a game that's actually good instead, also you get to hear phrases such as "Pedro Spot"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

That entire channel is good. I recommend the one about the 255 coin limit. An absolute masterpiece.

Now that I exist in a world where I can copy/paste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dokE1J5wlhE

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

"THIS is what we call a Pedro Spot, and it's pretty powerful."

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
That's my spot.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Oh my god this is somehow several times more :spergin: than even Ulilillia, I didn't think that was possible.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
How do people even find their way to this thread if they can't stand people who know things about games they run

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
It's entertaining, but in a way that's like gaping at a mangled circus freak.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ran Mad Dog posted:

It's entertaining, but in a way that's like gaping at a mangled circus freak.

You sound like a fun person to be around.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
At least I'm not going to pretend that watching those videos isn't like watching a slow motion train wreck. I feel kind of bad for giving the guy views and promoting the behavior that one can only hope he grows out of.

There's "knowing a game", and then there's that. At a certain point the shark has been jumped and the guy is definitely past that point.

Ran Mad Dog fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 1, 2016

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

AGDQ thread is up but the GDQ site is down so it's weird at the moment.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ran Mad Dog posted:

At least I'm not going to pretend that watching those videos isn't like watching a slow motion train wreck. I feel kind of bad for giving the guy views and promoting the behavior that one can only hope he grows out of.

There's "knowing a game", and then there's that. At a certain point the shark has been jumped and the guy is definitely past that point.

If I congratulate you on how better you are than everything and everyone will you stop posting about it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ran Mad Dog posted:

i mean, you've shitposted for fun for 10 years, why can't this guy destroy mario 64 for 10 years? his stuff is actually fun to look at

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

i mean, you've shitposted for fun for 10 years, why can't this guy destroy mario 64 for 10 years? his stuff is actually fun to look at

Point taken.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

flatluigi posted:

How do people even find their way to this thread if they can't stand people who know things about games they run

jesus stop.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Ran Mad Dog posted:

the videos, and the man, own

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this thread has been funny lately

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hey, this is actually cool and entertaining. This is exactly the kind of explanation I like to read/hear/recieve when I watch TAS videos. The 30 minute coin limit one is a bit too much for me tho :v:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
If you can't watch the full thing, at least watch the last third of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dokE1J5wlhE&t=1065s

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
That vid is insane and informational and I like it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the most insane speedrunning thing is the smw credits warp.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Groovelord Neato posted:

the most insane speedrunning thing is the smw credits warp.

I would have said the Pokemon GameBoy glitch that turns the game into a working Twitch chat viewer.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Dizz posted:

I would have said the Pokemon GameBoy glitch that turns the game into a working Twitch chat viewer.

Arguably that's not really a speedrunning thing. I'd say the Red/Blue Catch 'em All run is pretty amazing, though.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Watching videos like that makes me wish more people did TAS commentary. I love watching TASes but its usually just a ton :psyduck: for me. The best part of these marathons for me is the commentary anyways.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

eSporks posted:

Watching videos like that makes me wish more people did TAS commentary. I love watching TASes but its usually just a ton :psyduck: for me. The best part of these marathons for me is the commentary anyways.

I was always a fan of this speedrunf for pure :psyduck: factor.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

This is the one I always recommend to people, along with this.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

eSporks posted:

Watching videos like that makes me wish more people did TAS commentary.

They don't show up that often, but the have a special category for that at TASVideos if you've never seen it:

http://tasvideos.org/Commentaries.html

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Eonwe posted:

this thread has been funny lately

lately? the comedy in this thread never ceases

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Pneub posted:

They don't show up that often, but the have a special category for that at TASVideos if you've never seen it:

http://tasvideos.org/Commentaries.html
I never have. Thanks a bunch.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
We killed Freedom Planet. We discovered a new skip that saves about 20 seconds that's at roughly 2:08 in the video, but the catch is that it skips the end boss of the level, you don't actually finish the level, you just walk off the edge of the level and it ends or loads the next one if its a full game run.

The problem with that?

It removes the level's time from full game runs completely. Dragon Valley is the first level in this game, Relic Maze is the second. Dragon Valley is loving GONE. So now there's an entire level that just doesn't count for in game time which is wicked stupid and none of us want to use RTA so we don't really know what the gently caress and are still kinda working out what to do with this.

still counts for best clear times on Time Attack so it should be legal for use in IL runs but still wow Lilac is dead and we killed her

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
out of curiosity, why don't you like using RTA?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeXReX posted:

lately? the comedy in this thread never ceases

tru

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Suspicious Dish posted:

out of curiosity, why don't you like using RTA?

I have bad load times due to my computer being kind of a turd. If the game went RTA I'd just be totally hosed out of competing.

That aside, a bunch of tricks are geared towards minimizing the IGT, some of these tricks are either totally unnecessary or actually worse in an RTA environment despite being rather cool. Further still, it's also got a Sonic esque point bonus problem where the total Crystals you've collected tick down at the end of the level, we collect these crystals to fill up meter and go faster but it adds RTA to the end of a level waiting for that poo poo to tick.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I have bad load times due to my computer being kind of a turd. If the game went RTA I'd just be totally hosed out of competing.

That aside, a bunch of tricks are geared towards minimizing the IGT, some of these tricks are either totally unnecessary or actually worse in an RTA environment despite being rather cool. Further still, it's also got a Sonic esque point bonus problem where the total Crystals you've collected tick down at the end of the level, we collect these crystals to fill up meter and go faster but it adds RTA to the end of a level waiting for that poo poo to tick.

devs made a speedgame and didn't consider RTA logic? What shortsightedness.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

devs made a speedgame and didn't consider RTA logic? What shortsightedness.

Well no because ordinarily the IGT is pretty robust and good but this trick really makes it poo poo itself and now oh god it's all hosed

guess i'll go back to silent hill games until Freedom Planet 2 comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

It's a newer game right? Could try seeing if someone can develop an auto splitter without load times

• Locked thread