Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I'm barely started shinada's chapter and jesus christ he's a dirtbag. I love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lucinice posted:

So should I bother to do the comedy side quest as Haruka? I've been trying to brute force the drat thing but that hasn't helped.

use this:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/yimbocarimbo/RGG/Games/RGG5/Minigames/MinigamesTsukkomiArtisan.htm

made it cake for me

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Asked this before, but re-asking with a twist: so there's a level cap at 20 until I finish some event down the road. When I finish that event and bump the level cap to 25, will the game give me all the extra XP I've piled up to that point? Or will it say, "Shucks, sorry you finished all the racing and substories, but I'm chucking that XP. Go grind in street brawls to get the extra 5 levels, thanks."

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

The Macaroni posted:

Asked this before, but re-asking with a twist: so there's a level cap at 20 until I finish some event down the road. When I finish that event and bump the level cap to 25, will the game give me all the extra XP I've piled up to that point? Or will it say, "Shucks, sorry you finished all the racing and substories, but I'm chucking that XP. Go grind in street brawls to get the extra 5 levels, thanks."

It's a Yakuza game. Go grind in street brawls, regardless of the fact that breaking the level cap doesn't give you that piled up XP. For what it's worth the Amon fight gives about two and a half levels worth of XP, apparently.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I love seeing how far they'll go with the Amon side story every game

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Captain Walker posted:

It's a Yakuza game. Go grind in street brawls, regardless of the fact that breaking the level cap doesn't give you that piled up XP. For what it's worth the Amon fight gives about two and a half levels worth of XP, apparently.
My gaming time is limited these days so I try not to grind when I can help it. :(

Edit: Not a big deal to save the side stories for later, my daughter is eager to see the part with Haruka so I may as well speed through the story missions.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Street brawls give about 500xp per enemy at the end (even more with a certain armor) so they are pretty quick to grind with, and levels start taking over 30k xp. Saving side stories is definitely optimal, but you'll be lucky to get a single level out of them at the end. None of the characters except Akiyama really need the extra levels/skills though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

lets hang out posted:

Haruka is freakishly tall
There's definitely something off about her design. I think it's that her face shouldn't be on someone adult-sized.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 1, 2016

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Haruka's face looks like 3 years too young for her

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

She's as tall as most of the full blown adults in the game except for the other playable characters who are all giants of course. It's crazy looking haha

Just got to Akiyama, wish he didn't still have heat moves that go on way too long. That man is fully dead Akiyama, you can stop kicking him now. Please.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Captain Novolin posted:

I don't think the creators ever really wanted her to grow up (nor many fans I bet), but I guess it was unavoidable with how they made the narrative of the series.

Oh well, it's back to 10 year old Haruka in Kiwami anyway. Back to the only major female character in the series being in the completely helpless protectee of the player character, just the way Japanese games are meant to be!

Guuh...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 1, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She'll probably be conspicuously missing in Y6 to avoid making her an actual adult.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Yakuza 6 is about Haruka, Kaoru and my bro Hana stopping Beat Takeshi's evil plans.

Also I still refuse to believe Kazama Kiryu didn't teach his daughter how to break a grown man's arm if she absolutely has to. She's just holding back.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Not Operator posted:

Yakuza 6 is about Haruka, Kaoru and my bro Hana stopping Beat Takeshi's evil plans.

Also I still refuse to believe Kazama Kiryu didn't teach his daughter how to break a grown man's arm if she absolutely has to. She's just holding back.
No, I don't think he would ever teach Haruka how to fight. He wants her as far away from that world as possible, mentally as well as physically.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Yeah I know, but lie to me.

at the very least about Hana coming back.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Where the gently caress was Hana? She was great in Dead Souls so people obviously loved her and she had a voice cameo but it's not like they needed face capturing software for her actress. hell we have had sidequests from previously voiced charecters like Yuno and Dr Eri for the past couple games

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Where the gently caress was Hana? She was great in Dead Souls so people obviously loved her and she had a voice cameo but it's not like they needed face capturing software for her actress. hell we have had sidequests from previously voiced charecters like Yuno and Dr Eri for the past couple games

Contractual difficulties I assume. Plus, wasn't 2012 around the time the sex scandal of Aya Hirano came to light? Well, I say scandal but it was really more that she dared to have casual sex with a few people and being an idol and all, that caused a huge shitstorm because Japan's idol culture is really weird. As Haruka's playable segments show.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Contractual difficulties I assume. Plus, wasn't 2012 around the time the sex scandal of Aya Hirano came to light? Well, I say scandal but it was really more that she dared to have casual sex with a few people and being an idol and all, that caused a huge shitstorm because Japan's idol culture is really weird. As Haruka's playable segments show.
It's not weird, it's very straightforward; they have to maintain the image that any one of their fans could become that special fan that they give sex exclusively to. Having sex with literally anybody ever spoils that illusion forever.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Japanese idol industry seems like horrible trash and Haruka should become a high powered lawyer or something instead in 6, IMO.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I'm sure if a western female pop singer was caught having casual sex with a bunch of guys there'd be no scandal at all.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I'm sure if a western female pop singer was caught having casual sex with a bunch of guys there'd be no scandal at all.

She probably wouldn't have to record a statement in which she tearfully shaves her head bald and begs for the forgiveness of her fans, I'd imagine.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Sakurazuka posted:

Not to the degree Eastern idols get. There was a famous scandal involving one of the members of AKB48, where one of the members was seen coming out of a house of a guy. She shaved her hair off and begged for forgiveness on YouTube under the official AKB48 The video has over 6 million views.

A bit telling, don't you think?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, that one incident was especially lovely and bad, and had an appropriately horrified response from pretty much everyone, I'm just saying that having a horrible attitude towards women in media and their relationships (and elsewhere) is not a uniquely Japanese thing.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 1, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I wish more western pop stars would be promiscuous with strangers and by strangers i desperately imply me.

Doesn't even have to be a pop star.

Help.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Captain Novolin posted:

Haruka's eyes are also too big.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Also she always looks sleep deprived. Im glad someone in the game FINALLY told her about those baggy eyes.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
it's a weird consequence of Haruka being a lot more detailed than most other NPCs, so half the cutscenes are just this freakishly tall girl with incredibly huge and shiny eyes talking to an unblinking blob.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's not weird, it's very straightforward; they have to maintain the image that any one of their fans could become that special fan that they give sex exclusively to. Having sex with literally anybody ever spoils that illusion forever.

That is the very definition of weird. There's a difference between being a fan of someone and being completely obsessive to the point that the mere thought of the person you idolize actually has their own life outside of the media drives you into outrage.

Sakurazuka posted:

The media industry is poo poo pretty much everywhere, but Japan is especially bad about it. Western celebrities are still allowed to get married and maintain contact with their family, Japanese idols aren't.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Idol music isn't even particularly good! What's the appeal!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

precision posted:

Idol music isn't even particularly good! What's the appeal!

3d waifus. They are "perfect" as long as they can maintain the facade, unlike real women who are living organisms with thoughts and opinions and such. The whole industry is weird, and mostly just exists so yakuza have a steady supply of young girls to gently caress.

On an unrelated topic, are Tatsuya's dishes supposed to be horrifying abominations against god and man? They sure seem that way, but it is all played completely straight so I'm not sure if it is intentional or not.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
To switch topics, how the gently caress are you supposed to do True Suicidal Shooting? I think last game they only had pistols. Now it's get stunlocked for half your life if you get hit once. Also the one you attack will always block so the others can shoot you.

It's ridiculous how Akiyama's training ended up a hundred times as difficult as everyone else's two games in a row.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
A couple Warning Signs makes it a lot easier. It also helps if you push the story until Tatsuya shows up for Akiyama.

I did all of his training before Akiyama's gourmet stuff and I really regret it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Sindai posted:

To switch topics, how the gently caress are you supposed to do True Suicidal Shooting? I think last game they only had pistols. Now it's get stunlocked for half your life if you get hit once. Also the one you attack will always block so the others can shoot you.

It's ridiculous how Akiyama's training ended up a hundred times as difficult as everyone else's two games in a row.

bust up the students first, they have less health and then there's one less machine gun to deal with

dodge and move around a lot, and do short combos, once they go into the shooting animation they lock position so it's easy to avoid as long as you're moving

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
You know, as much as I had a hard time with the manzai sketches, the section where Akiyama takes an idol through her day trying to carry out this dumb loving persona is the absolute nadir of this game so far. Christ.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I really liked all the interview questions for Haruka, that was great.

Oh also Daddy Papa

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sindai posted:

if enemies are offscreen they wont attack you from my experience, I passed that training by kicking one dude away from the group then just stomping him while he was down, the other guys didnt shoot at all so long as I couldnt see them

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So in Yakuza 6 do you actually get to eat at Wild Jackson or does the series continue to taunt you with delicious fried chicken that you can't have?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I'm about halfway through Haruka's chapter and I didn't expect to like it, but I would totally play a sequel sidegame that was solely Yakuza Pop Idol Adventure. It says something about how good these designers are that they managed to make a better rhythm game with more variety than most rhythm games. I guess I shouldn't be surprised after the previous chapter was Better Than Cabela Hunting Simulator.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 2, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm about halfway through Haruka's chapter and I didn't expect to like it, but I would totally play a sequel sidegame that was solely Yakuza Pop Idol Adventure. It says something about how good these designers are that they managed to make a better rhythm game with more variety than most rhythm games. I guess I shouldn't be surprised after the previous chapter was Better Than Cabela Hunting Simulator.
I did a lot of music in high school and college and somehow her part accessed that mindset of mine unlike nothing else. I got the "practice a hundred times, perform once" mindset from it and it just drove me to practice every time I got. Maybe if other rhythm games had given the idea of the difference between practice and performance, I would have gotten into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Wow, Manzai was a lot funner than I thought it would be.

Though I can see why some people struggle with it. You kind of have to understand Japanese to know when he'll finish his sentence to get in to the right rhythm of when to reply. Not to the mention the translations of some of the replies are kind of lacking. Probably be much easier if they didn't randomize the buttons and had one button be tsukkomi and the other two be aizuchi.

• Locked thread