Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

FAUXTON posted:

On the other hand, do C4 charges blow doors out too? I could see placing bombs outside the door, welding and waiting, then kablooey.

I don't believe they do, but if I recall correctly, welded doors have two different "health meters." There's the strength of the weld, and the strength of the door. Once the weld expires, the door breaks. However, if you prevent the weld from breaking, I believe the door itself will eventually collapse. So even if you did manage your doors carefully, they would presumably break eventually anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A combat engineer class would also be nice. Able to construct spikes or quick cover, or to repair doors. Needs a special tools that have to be bought.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vahakyla posted:

A combat engineer class would also be nice. Able to construct spikes or quick cover, or to repair doors. Needs a special tools that have to be bought.

I'm kinda hoping that's what SWAT is. Set up barricades and stuff for crowd control

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

gently caress welding because there's always some nasally dude talking over voice coms about how welding is super important on Hard difficulty and I just ignore that fucker every time.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Vahakyla posted:

More stuff for the Zeds to teleport-jump over. Sounds great.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

UnknownMercenary posted:

gently caress welding because there's always some nasally dude talking over voice coms about how welding is super important on Hard difficulty and I just ignore that fucker every time.

anyone who welds on hard or below makes me wish player killing was an option.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I make it a habit to either unweld doors that were welded during trader time or blow them up, depending on my class. They will always gently caress you over.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Considering zeds can just teleport around when they're out of your view, I don't really even understand what welding accomplishes besides self-sabotage by way of blocking off your own escape routes. It's better to just run a circuit around the map because the only difficulty on which you don't sprint faster than zeds is HOE.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

happy new year.

when update.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Not to diss the tripwire guys or anything, but wasn't the game supposed to be finished by 2016 or did they make a post at some point saying that definitely wasn't gonna happen

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

voltcatfish posted:

Not to diss the tripwire guys or anything, but wasn't the game supposed to be finished by 2016 or did they make a post at some point saying that definitely wasn't gonna happen

Well they also said they would release a regular update a month like class or collection of maps and that's well not come close to happening.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Killing Floor 2 is effectively done; what you are getting now are comprehensive patches and free content updates. Steam calls this Early Access, but it's actually a fully-functional game that you likely bought for $30 if you are posting in this thread. It has been out long enough that there are dozens of custom maps, and 5% of them are even approaching good.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Killing Floor 2 is effectively done; what you are getting now are comprehensive patches and free content updates. Steam calls this Early Access, but it's actually a fully-functional game that you likely bought for $30 if you are posting in this thread. It has been out long enough that there are dozens of custom maps, and 5% of them are even approaching good.

Ah the old Star Citizen approach to early access.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

frozenpeas posted:

But this is a game and fun? :confused:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It also exists and you can play it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

frozenpeas posted:

Can I buy a jpeg of the Hyper Mega Shotgun for four hundred dollars please.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

frozenpeas posted:

Yeah, it's just like that! except it's nothing like that

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

It has been out long enough that there are dozens of custom maps, and 5% of them are even approaching good.

Speaking of, the MountainPass remake is not too bad for a beta map release. I mean, it's like the old one so you'll have the long lines of sight (and super-long kiting matches perhaps but I've not played hard enough to have to bother with that) but I do enjoy shooting zeds as they stand at the top of the massive cliff edge and watch them ragdoll down.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Rayjenkins posted:

Can't be any less of a waste of money than the real Nazi memorabilia you own.

as if I'm gonna be loving in a virtual hat for kf2. this ain't second life but goddammit I still want to play dressup without draining my money. parade cap for anton just isn't enough

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, it's just like that! except it's nothing like that

You're right. This is a great game already. I was talking about the poster stretching the definition of 'finished game.'

If they had released it in this state without promising all the other stuff then yeah, you could pass it off as a full game - but they didn't, so it isn't. (Also it's not KF without a LAR).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At least KF2 wasn't kickstarted. We will always have that much.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

CJacobs posted:

At least KF2 wasn't kickstarted. We will always have that much.

kickstarter for sharpshooter

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Any servers that run mountain pass remake?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

Any servers that run mountain pass remake?

Same but for the (good) biotics lab remake, the one all the destructible lights.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Speaking of maps, why the heck do servers run timbo perk training? That perk training map with the anime on the walls (super perk training?) with a bunch of easter eggs is not only more interesting to look at, but it also works! Zeds don't get pushed out of the kill box constantly, it has infinite weapon spawns for each perk. But no servers run it for some reason.

gently caress timbo.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I don't believe they do, but if I recall correctly, welded doors have two different "health meters." There's the strength of the weld, and the strength of the door. Once the weld expires, the door breaks. However, if you prevent the weld from breaking, I believe the door itself will eventually collapse. So even if you did manage your doors carefully, they would presumably break eventually anyway.

You are correct. It pretty makes doors worthless. Can you still trip up zeds and bosses by closing the door in their face?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Broose posted:

Speaking of maps, why the heck do servers run timbo perk training? That perk training map with the anime on the walls (super perk training?) with a bunch of easter eggs is not only more interesting to look at, but it also works! Zeds don't get pushed out of the kill box constantly, it has infinite weapon spawns for each perk. But no servers run it for some reason.

gently caress timbo.

http://kf2.gamebanana.com/maps/187635

This one?

You can just download it and run it locally if you want, though less zed will spawn that way.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!
Why would you use perk training maps anyway?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Demo leveling is a joyless experience unless you start at, I dunno, 10.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Frankly if you want to level stuff, you don't need Timbo, you just need to play on custom map servers with those lovely untextured hallway maps where the monsters just drop on you in a line (i.e. almost all of them). At least then it's still a game and scratching an itch to blow things up.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Frankly if you want to level stuff, you don't need Timbo, you just need to play on custom map servers with those lovely untextured hallway maps where the monsters just drop on you in a line (i.e. almost all of them). At least then it's still a game and scratching an itch to blow things up.

Or, you could use a script or something similar to achieve your desired level, and then play for real.

averox posted:

You are correct. It pretty makes doors worthless. Can you still trip up zeds and bosses by closing the door in their face?

Hans takes only a moment to slam a door open. I think most other Zeds take a bit longer, but I've also seen raged Scrakes blast a door open and insta-kill the guy on the other side.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Jandipoo posted:

Some people are impatient. If you actually know the class, I don't see a problem with it. I don't give a poo poo how someone else levels in a co op game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jandipoo posted:

Some perks (like demo) require a lot more gameplay than the others to level up, for reasons like having limited ammo or getting few opportunities to rack up bonus XP, or so on. To some that's a lot more time spent grinding XP to get skills that make the class more usable than it'd be worth, and so perk training maps exist to nullify that grind.

But then there's also people that think that having all level 25's will make them play better, when that's really not the case.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Link for an assessment of the differences between Bone Breaker and Rack 'em Up. I'm inclined to conclude that Rack 'em Up is only especially useful for HoE, since you save on headshots for Husks and Sirens.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I dunno, I get 1000 demo xp every match when I plunk the boss with an RPG for a while, seems to be working out okay for leveling :v:

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Jandipoo posted:

There are gameplay changes on higher difficulties, like husks spraying fire everywhere. If you wanted to play effectively on higher difficulties, you need to be a high level which takes a long time and that's assuming you don't split your time with other classes. You'd also have to devote your time to KF2 and not play something else.

Basically, the grind is super long and the average person probably doesn't have the time to do it the "correct" way.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

RickDaedalus posted:

There are gameplay changes on higher difficulties, like husks spraying fire everywhere. If you wanted to play effectively on higher difficulties, you need to be a high level which takes a long time and that's assuming you don't split your time with other classes. You'd also have to devote your time to KF2 and not play something else.

Basically, the grind is super long and the average person probably doesn't have the time to do it the "correct" way.

You can jump into Hard right away and Suicidal at 5 or 10. Leveling is really pretty quick.

I was at 20 firebug after a few hours of gameplay. It's not a long process.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Firebug is not really a good indication of how slow grinding is because you get poo poo tons of XP tagging everything with your fire weapons.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

RickDaedalus posted:

The game is still fun at those lower levels without the zed behavior changes tbh. I don't see the point of rushing past them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

UnknownMercenary posted:

Firebug is not really a good indication of how slow grinding is because you get poo poo tons of XP tagging everything with your fire weapons.