Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Regular Gnawty is a basic enemy. The first boss is Very Gnawty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Now that DK's been captured as a war criminal, I feel this is appropriate.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This isn't just the best game in the series, it's one of the best SNES games period. I remember playing it as a kid but due to [insert RabbiRaccoon's life story here] I never finished it but I loved every minute. About 7 years ago I started again and it was every bit as fantastic as I'd remembered it and I still play through it about once a year. It's gorgeous, has great music, and it's fun as hell. It's a great game to just mess around in. With precise moving you can ignore some important things in certain levels. Hell, there's part of a level later on where you're supposed to use Squwaks but you can use Squitter instead. Which is as challenging as it sounds if you know the level I'm talking about.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 30, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

How can you say he's committed crimes against humanity if there are no humans?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mraagvpeine posted:

How can you say he's committed crimes against humanity if there are no humans?

Why do you think there are no humans?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
This is just flat out one of my favorite games.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
DKC2 is just really fantastic. Man just listening to that music brought up memories. I think Welcome to Crocodile Isle is my favorite world map theme in the series. The water levels were actually my favorite levels when I was a kid (well, most of them anyway.) I just found them fun to go through. This was touched on in the video, but I do like how every mechanic you can make use of is actually useful in this game. Instead of being a one-off ability you would never use outside of very specific situations. (Donkey's ground slap in the original game, Kiddy's ability to break cracked floors.)

As for Rattly's air hops, I think that's a consequence of having him to be able to jump at any time. He hops along the ground as he moves, so if you had to wait for him to be on the ground to jump, that would probably just make him frustrating to control. I'm not sure if that was an issue Winky had, though.

I also love the sound the Kremlings make when they die in this game. It's so over the top.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 30, 2015

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah yes, DKC2. One of my most beloved games from my childhood and one I still enjoy to this day. Although, there are few things I still don't like, and one of them is Rattly. He is slippery as all hell, and makes a few levels later on frustrating as gently caress because of his slippery physics.

Oh, and since it was asked in the video, there is a water level in this game where the water does not rise or sink as you progress, but that's in World 3.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Despite its flaws I think that DK64 is one of the best games in the series if you don't meticulously gather all of the golden bananas, for which there is no reward.

Fight me, nerds.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

death .cab for qt posted:

Despite its flaws I think that DK64 is one of the best games in the series if you don't meticulously gather all of the golden bananas, for which there is no reward.

Fight me, nerds.

Not true! They give you shiny percentage numbers! That said I'll join you as a weirdo that likes dk64

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Scorch n' Torch looks really well-designed. I also thought the penguins throwing around fish in Twilight Terror were cute and funny. I was wondering what the point of Diddy was in this game when you have Cranky and Dixie, but then you used the super move. Pretty bitchin' to use that in the right place.

Love love love DKC2. The gimmick levels aren't brutally hard, except for the windy part of Animal Antics, which isn't DKC3-level bullshit, but it is quite hard. But you're wrong about the DK Coins on two levels. First, they're called Hero Coins in this game. You collect them to prove to Cranky how much of a hero for you are. More importantly, they don't actually add to your percentage total, with the exception of five of them. You can get 102% on this game with a minimum of five Hero Coins. They're strictly for bragging rights and the best ending in the game.

I think DK64 is OK the first time you play it because the worlds are so big and there's a lot to do. There is a clear drop in quality after you 101% it, though. And that doesn't excuse how parts of levels are arbitrarily closed off except for one Kong. Nor does it excuse Beaver Bother, as well as being the most ridiculous extreme of the 3D platformer collectathon. My favorite LP is DazzlingAddar's DK64 one. He goes into it saying it's one of his favorite games ever, then his opinion deteriorates gradually (no thanks to the co-commentators) until he admits that it's poorly designed.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I replayed it after Addar's LP and still think it's really good. It suffers slightly from being a collectathon that requires multiple characters, but it does not punish you for not 100%ing the game. It's like Returns in that you don't need all the puzzle pieces, but you don't immediately know which bananas you don't need.

Going through on a less than 100% run is fun as hell and enjoyable all the way through if a banana is frustrating.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

death .cab for qt posted:

Fight me, nerds.

i don't want to fight you, only pity you

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You also only need to find 75% of the bananas for each character in each level to get the 102%. Actually getting 100 bananas doesn't get you anything except a fanfare.

I still did it, mind you, because 15 year old me was a loving idiot.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Admittedly, Addar's LP format of stubbornly using every Kong in order and getting everything didn't help matters.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also i would like to point out that rattly is not in fact a rattlesnake and krow is not in fact a crow, likely more victims of hateful kong propaganda

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
DKC2 has a really strong start, but I seem to remember some of the later levels being hassles. Looking forward to seeing if I'm wrong. But yeah, it's hard to really get just how much they invented between dkc and dkc2

I guess they were trying to do that much invention again for dkc3... just a lot of the new stuff didn't add any meaningful fun to the game. Though there's a lot about it I really want to like. That's a game away, though.

And come on, technically you're right that it doesn't have minecart levels but it basically has those, you're just riding a slightly different hurtling rail-bound vehicle.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Whybird posted:

The best way to insert Cranky into the new games would be to use him as the character model for the equivalent of the NSMB Super Skills videos.

This is from pages back but DKC Returns really should have used Cranky as the Super Guide character instead of White DK or whatever. They could have reused Cranky as the player character for the post-game mode and everything. Oh well.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Y-Hat posted:

I think DK64 is OK the first time you play it because the worlds are so big and there's a lot to do. There is a clear drop in quality after you 101% it, though. And that doesn't excuse how parts of levels are arbitrarily closed off except for one Kong. Nor does it excuse Beaver Bother, as well as being the most ridiculous extreme of the 3D platformer collectathon. My favorite LP is DazzlingAddar's DK64 one. He goes into it saying it's one of his favorite games ever, then his opinion deteriorates gradually (no thanks to the co-commentators) until he admits that it's poorly designed.

Beaver Bother was that one where you played as a Klaptrap trying to herd them into the hole, right? I remember finding that particular mini-game frustrating as poo poo on my first playthrough, but I figured out a system for it that I used on subsequent playthroughs afterwards and it always worked for me.

Also, yes, playthroughs plural, at least ten and all of them to full completion. I still love the game even if I acknowledge just how goddamn much of a collect-a-thon it is.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DKC3 starts off with some pretty cool gimmick levels, but by the end of the game, they're just there to make things as difficult as possible. Same thing applies to the boss fights. I'm not entirely sure why the overworld is interactive, as it doesn't add as much to the game as you'd think. I'm not opposed to the more cartoony enemies like some people are, but I do prefer DKC2's darker, more menacing style over it. And the music is made by Eveline Fischer, not David Wise.

All that makes it seem like I'm making DKC3 out to be a bad game. It's not, but it's definitely a step back.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 31, 2015

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Y-Hat posted:

DKC3 starts off with some pretty cool gimmick levels, but by the end of the game, they're just there to make things as difficult as possible. Same thing applies to the boss fights. I'm not entirely sure why the overworld is interactive, as it doesn't add as much to the game as you'd think. I'm not opposed to the more cartoony enemies like some people are, but I do prefer DKC2's darker, more menacing style over it. And the music is made by Eveline Fischer, not David Wise.

All that makes it seem like I'm making DKC3 out to be a bad game. It's not, but it's definitely a step back.

If DK3 was the second game released it would be much more fondly remembered. It's solid overall, but looks terrible coming off DK2.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
DKC2 is easily one of my favourite games. It was one of the first games I learned to speedrun, a game I bought on my roommate's Wii so that I could play it, and its soundtrack is on my phone at all times. The pre-rendered 3d models haven't aged well, but I still really like the aesthetic they created.

This game is an absolute joy for me to play, wonky hitboxes and all.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

Not true! They give you shiny percentage numbers! That said I'll join you as a weirdo that likes dk64

Don't they actually increase the timer in the final area?

I only actually got round to beating DK64 earlier this year even though I got to the final boss like 8 years ago then stopped playing because it was hard. I don't think I'll be going back to 10x% it, somehow (also I've forgotten all the button combinations for the moves).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Polsy posted:

Don't they actually increase the timer in the final area?

I only actually got round to beating DK64 earlier this year even though I got to the final boss like 8 years ago then stopped playing because it was hard. I don't think I'll be going back to 10x% it, somehow (also I've forgotten all the button combinations for the moves).

Nah, that was the blueprints off of kasplats(Which also gave you a golden banana hence the confusion)

Once you have enough golden bananas to unlock the last stage they literally are just another collectible doohicky.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, that was the blueprints off of kasplats(Which also gave you a golden banana hence the confusion)

Once you have enough golden bananas to unlock the last stage they literally are just another collectible doohicky.

You need all the golden bananas to get the bonus 101% ending. The regular bananas are the useless collectibles (after getting 75 per kong).

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

whitehelm posted:

You need all the golden bananas to get the bonus 101% ending. The regular bananas are the useless collectibles (after getting 75 per kong).

that ending is probably even less rewarding than the ffx-2 one

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Congrats on beating every level with Dixie, Artix.

Just plastering her face all over the map.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Shei-kun posted:

Congrats on beating every level with Dixie, Artix.

Just plastering her face all over the map.

He knows how this game is meant to be played.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tidal terror and the octopus chase were just fantastic. If returns did something well, it was coming up with cool stuff to platform over and around.

I spent the vast majority of that worlds videos wondering if argate would ever roll into a red crab.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It seems like a big step back that after 4 games where it's required to swim, all of a sudden the Kongs gained concrete galoshes.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

He knows how this game is meant to be played.

Monkey Electric Guitar Solo > hip hop chimp. Scientific fact.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
So out of interest: How many people have not spotted the pun in DKC2's title in the 20+ years it has been out?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Mr. Vile posted:

So out of interest: How many people have not spotted the pun in DKC2's title in the 20+ years it has been out?

I didn't realize it until several years ago (and had to have it pointed out to me.) For a long time, I thought it was Diddy Kong's Quest.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Vile posted:

I didn't get it until last month. :smith:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Vile posted:

Maybe 10 minutes before ChaosArgate.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Probably wouldn't have gotten it until now if someone in the previous DKC2 LP thread a few years ago hadn't pointed it out. :saddowns:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I only noticed it because people pointed it out (in this thread, I think). Otherwise, I would've never realized it. Plus, I also thought it was Diddy Kong's Quest, which definitely didn't help.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Blaze Dragon posted:

I only noticed it because people pointed it out (in this thread, I think). Otherwise, I would've never realized it. Plus, I also thought it was Diddy Kong's Quest, which definitely didn't help.

Any time I heard the game spoken about aloud, it was " Diddy Kong's Quest" so yeah, basically until this LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

FeyerbrandX posted:

Monkey Electric Guitar Solo > hip hop chimp. Scientific fact.

Word. If I ever lost Dixie before the end of a level, I'd kill myself and start over.

• Locked thread