Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

benisntfunny posted:

I like that he has seating room for when he has clients over.

I thought the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
So I spent 45 minutes lowering my jerker today, I swear I was getting carpal tunnel from the height it was set to. Feels soooo good. Worth it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

AEMINAL posted:

So I spent 45 minutes lowering my jerker today, I swear I was getting carpal tunnel from the height it was set to. Feels soooo good. Worth it.

I want a Jerker that's like two feet wider than it is now otherwise it would be perfect in every way with because of this reason among many others.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

AEMINAL posted:

...Dirty.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

On Terra Firma posted:

I want a Jerker that's like two feet wider than it is now otherwise it would be perfect in every way with because of this reason among many others.

Yeah, a bit wider and pneumatic legs and controls for sit/stand would make it the perfect desk.

edit: should I just use cable ties to manage this or get some beneath desk solution?

Not pictured: the upper shelf, I just installed it and untaped the router!

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 30, 2015

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Buy some of these velcro straps those cables are killin me!

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Monoprice has ridiculously cheap hook and loop rolls in multiple colors. Way better than the ties.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Galant with an ASUS 29" 21:9 and a Dell 27" 16:9

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Pertplus posted:

Those monitor stand things look awesome. Is that desk super solid? That only thing that turned me off about that when I saw it at Ikea was how shaky it seemed but it could have just been a beat up floor model.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Pertplus posted:

The Lamp Lord

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

Those monitor stand things look awesome. Is that desk super solid? That only thing that turned me off about that when I saw it at Ikea was how shaky it seemed but it could have just been a beat up floor model.

It definitely doesn't wobble at all and the top wood part is pretty solid, but idk if I'd call it "super" solid. On the left side where I mounted the heavier monitor, the desk is bending very slightly. Obviously not much because I decided to leave it mounted anyway and you can't even see it in the picture. Definitely wouldn't have noticed except that I checked for it after mounting the monitor. I've had it for 5 years and a couple years ago the finished board on the side that covers up the particleboard underneath fell off and I had to superglue it back on. The finish on the top is also coming off in some places.
That being said, I think I may get another 5 years out of it and I think it's a good desk for the price. Although they don't even sell it anymore so none of this matters if the new version (bekant?) is significantly different.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

AEMINAL posted:

The Lamp Lord

Yeah I read physical books a lot at my desk and that room isn't very well-lit otherwise.

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life

:o:

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
My throne.. (wife actualy lets me have this in the living room!) Got Dali Opticon 8's (speakers) for christmas from wife (no, she is not for sale, and she cannot be cloned), waiting for a NAD C275 to add in bridge mode with the NAD C375 Integrated amp here...

Room size: 25m2/270square feet.. Glass table being replaced next week, acoustic bass traps incoming. Listening position about 3m from speakers.

Edit: Added some room info. Picture is poo poo. Will post a new one when I get new table and acoustics stuff up.

Uxzuigal fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 9, 2016

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Uxzuigal posted:

My throne.. (wife actualy lets me have this in the living room!) Got Dali Opticon 8's (speakers) for christmas from wife (no, she is not for sale, and she cannot be cloned), waiting for a NAD C275 to add in bridge mode with the NAD C375 Integrated amp here...

this is a depressing gimmick

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
How do you mean, at the date? :)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Your cords and chair are incorrect

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Pertplus posted:

It definitely doesn't wobble at all and the top wood part is pretty solid, but idk if I'd call it "super" solid. On the left side where I mounted the heavier monitor, the desk is bending very slightly. Obviously not much because I decided to leave it mounted anyway and you can't even see it in the picture. Definitely wouldn't have noticed except that I checked for it after mounting the monitor. I've had it for 5 years and a couple years ago the finished board on the side that covers up the particleboard underneath fell off and I had to superglue it back on. The finish on the top is also coming off in some places.
That being said, I think I may get another 5 years out of it and I think it's a good desk for the price. Although they don't even sell it anymore so none of this matters if the new version (bekant?) is significantly different.

I thought they still sold it but yeah you're right. Maybe it was the Bekant I felt at the store that didn't feel sturdy. I've been looking for a replacement for my Jerker and the thing I like about it the most is the depth. It sits up against the wall but I still have room to put my feet up under my desk while allowing me to sit right up at the keyboard and mouse. I can't even find a desk with those kinds of dimensions and I've toyed with the idea about having something custom made. I just know that would be expensive if I didn't go with wooden legs. Ugh.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

On Terra Firma posted:

I thought they still sold it but yeah you're right. Maybe it was the Bekant I felt at the store that didn't feel sturdy. I've been looking for a replacement for my Jerker and the thing I like about it the most is the depth. It sits up against the wall but I still have room to put my feet up under my desk while allowing me to sit right up at the keyboard and mouse. I can't even find a desk with those kinds of dimensions and I've toyed with the idea about having something custom made. I just know that would be expensive if I didn't go with wooden legs. Ugh.

I've got a galant. Shakiness confirmed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

My normal workstation, for programming and gaming

For when I'm doing hardware development and embedded programming, or working in my Sys Admin lab

For when I'm building cars in the garage.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

My normal workstation, for programming and gaming

For when I'm doing hardware development and embedded programming, or working in my Sys Admin lab

For when I'm building cars in the garage.

That is pretty sweet. What kind of oscilloscope is in that second pic?

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...
Take it apart and improve it!

Odette posted:

That is pretty sweet. What kind of oscilloscope is in that second pic?

Looks like a Tektronix 465 unless i miss my guess.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nubcakes posted:

Looks like a Tektronix 465 unless i miss my guess.

Yup! Dual Channel 20 Mhz

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

What're you using that for, hunting submarines?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

El Scotch posted:

What're you using that for, hunting submarines?

Troubleshooting circuits and devices.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Coredump posted:

I've got a galant. Shakiness confirmed.

I've only had my Bekant for a year but it still feels solid. I don't know about the Galant, but the legs and undercarriage are pretty thick steel. The only part that I'd see wearing out is the fiberboard top, just from use and maybe the mount points. But they sell those separately so I figured you could replace it down the line as it got grungy

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The Galant's weakness was that the frame that held the table top only connected to the tee legs with a single large bolt through the middle of the leg. This let the table top rock back and fort on top of the tee leg. I would think the a-frame legs would be more sturdy since its two points of attachment per side. Even knowing what I know about the galant I would get another one. It was a nice desk for the money.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Coredump posted:

The Galant's weakness was that the frame that held the table top only connected to the tee legs with a single large bolt through the middle of the leg. This let the table top rock back and fort on top of the tee leg. I would think the a-frame legs would be more sturdy since its two points of attachment per side. Even knowing what I know about the galant I would get another one. It was a nice desk for the money.

Man maybe I lucked out or something, my Galant is 8-9 years old, has moved a bunch of times and still feels like it's built like a tank.

Too bad I switched to a standing desk so it's not getting much use. :(

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Coredump posted:

That's crazy. I have the predecessor to the Galant, the Effektiv, in gigantic size and it's still rock solid 15 years later. The T legs slide into a box steel frame underneath the desk, then get bolted in place by 6 bolts.

They sometimes lose a little quality to make things cheaper to produce and ship. It's kinda a bummer.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Uxzuigal posted:

Why are you sitting 3-4 feet from a 3-way floor standing speaker? They are going to be utterly wasted being that close to your seat

should have gotten http://www.dali-speakers.com/loudspeakers/opticon/opticon-2/

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

titaniumone posted:

Why are you sitting 3-4 feet from a 3-way floor standing speaker? They are going to be utterly wasted being that close to your seat

cause his wife let him

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
BUT DONT TRY TO CLONE HER (CUZ U CANT)

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

She's not for sale either.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

i hate this post, sorry

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Uxzuigal posted:

Doesn't belong in a living room.

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.
I have a desk that is basically a clean piece of wood with legs. The legs, however, are flush with the edge of the wood making anything that attaches to the sides of the desk useless as it is way too thick.

Any recommendations for cheap replacement legs I can drill into the wood, or somewhere I can shop for some?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Grimshak posted:

Any recommendations for cheap replacement legs I can drill into the wood, or somewhere I can shop for some?

Ikea. You can find steel hairpin legs on Etsy, if you want something a little more classy.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

titaniumone posted:

Not sitting that close for critical listening and movies/series - Got a sofa just behind. :) The Opticon 2's are awesome too though and I wouldn't mind having some for surround speakers - for now though.. this will do :>

- - -

beefnoodle:
Depends, we live, breathe movies,music and series and got the room for it. :)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Uxzuigal posted:

Not sitting that close for critical listening and movies/series - Got a sofa just behind. :) The Opticon 2's are awesome too though and I wouldn't mind having some for surround speakers - for now though.. this will do :>

- - -

beefnoodle:
Depends, we live, breathe movies,music and series and got the room for it. :)

At least elevate those speakers another foot so the woofer isn't below the glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

titaniumone posted:

Unless you're a big audiophile, who cares? As long as it sounds good to you. Sweet set up.

Especially if there's a couch behind that set up and the user uses the big TV on top.

If I lived in a secluded neighborhood where neighbors couldn't hear a pair of floor standing speakers, I would own a pair too. My parents have one at home and they sound so much better then the pair of monitor speakers I have.

edit: just noticed the subwoofer. drat living in the city sucks.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 5, 2016