Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ferrule posted:

I figured it was him through context clues but can he also change color as well? I thought it was a mistake at first as well.

Admittedly, my Plastic Man knowledge is limited to old 80's books and the cartoon, where despite the shape he was always still red and flesh-tone. Is this a newer thing or did I miss something?

He can't change color, but he can use any color in his body (like yellow) and since Sinestro is conveniently yellow, black, and pink, well, it's an easy transformation (though you may notice that his Sinestro has red skin so it's not perfect)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Ferrule posted:

I figured it was him through context clues but can he also change color as well? I thought it was a mistake at first as well.

Admittedly, my Plastic Man knowledge is limited to old 80's books and the cartoon, where despite the shape he was always still red and flesh-tone. Is this a newer thing or did I miss something?

Sinestro's palette can be copied with Plasticman's once you include the black and gold on Plastic Man's uniform.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm the snidely whiplash face on Plastic Sinestro's chest

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I was just about to ask if he'd suddenly become able to change his colors before noticing the skin was the wrong color. I really need to read Plastic Man, it looks like :allears: Cyborg looking at Sinestro to check the mustache is a great touch.

Gavok posted:

Here you go.

League of Extraordinary Achewood is still one of the top 5 things I've ever done. I'm so proud of that one.

And thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

I'm the snidely whiplash face on Plastic Sinestro's chest

It's honestly a better symbol. He should ask Plas if he can licence it for the Corps.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Keeshhound posted:

Isn't Plastic Man functionally immortal? I can't honestly think of a better use for that than harassing evil superman.

Yes. He got atomized once. Like, literally broken down into individual molecules and scattered throughout the cosmos. One of the Justice League b-team members put him back together, and after that he quit being a super hero for awhile.

It's worth mentioning that during this Batman very seriously said he considered Plastic Man to be one of, if not the, most powerful members of the Justice League because of this. I'll be damned if I remember what the series was, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think Plas is completely indestructible, completely immune to mental influence, and has his wacky rubber powers. While the BatMetrics may be biased, that's a pretty good toolkit.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Who What Now posted:

Yes. He got atomized once. Like, literally broken down into individual molecules and scattered throughout the cosmos. One of the Justice League b-team members put him back together, and after that he quit being a super hero for awhile.

It's worth mentioning that during this Batman very seriously said he considered Plastic Man to be one of, if not the, most powerful members of the Justice League because of this. I'll be damned if I remember what the series was, though.

Joe Kelly's JLA, which is honestly in the running for best JLA run. He wasn't scattered through the cosmos, though. Just the ocean for a ridiculous amount of time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mr. Maltose posted:

Joe Kelly's JLA, which is honestly in the running for best JLA run. He wasn't scattered through the cosmos, though. Just the ocean for a ridiculous amount of time.

Eh, functionally the same thing. I was just a wee lad at the time, and I remember feeling vindicated that even Batman thought my favorite JLA member was pretty powerful. But yeah, he's also possibly agelessly immortal.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Doesn't getting frozen gently caress with his rubbery-ness, or am I mixing him up with Mr. Fantastic?

He's gonna end up getting frozen with Supes' super-breath and then shattered, isn't he? :sigh: I expect nothing happy out of Injustice.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Well it wouldn't kill him, but freezing him would keep him out of commission for a while...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Who What Now posted:

Not this one I'm sure, but I don't care.

:catstare: he could kill us all... :catstare:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Doc Hawkins posted:

loving Frank Miller...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Doesn't getting frozen gently caress with his rubbery-ness, or am I mixing him up with Mr. Fantastic?

He's gonna end up getting frozen with Supes' super-breath and then shattered, isn't he? :sigh: I expect nothing happy out of Injustice.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Who What Now posted:

Batman also considered The Ten Eyed man to be his most dangerous/deadly foe, and the dude literally just had an eyeball on each finger. Maybe he's not the best DBZ scouter around.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Doc Hawkins posted:

That's kind of how it was in the Kelly JLA thing. From what I remember, the League went back in time 3,000 years and had some kind of adventure in Atlantis. They all were killed and then resurrected. All but Plastic Man for some reason. Then they returned to the present and Batman realized that Plas didn't come back because he didn't die in the first place. He can't die. He was just scraps of himself, spread across the ocean floor, completely conscious for 3,000 years. They tracked him down, put him together at HQ and Firestorm was all, "lol I bet he's going to be bouncing around and stuff."

Batman's all :stare: and tells him to shut the gently caress up because they're dealing with a being that's pretty drat powerful and probably out of his mind from being alone with only his thoughts for several thousand years.

Plas left the team for a while and tried to live a normal life with his estranged son, but Batman brought him back because Martian Manhunter went rogue and was no longer weak to fire. Plas was Batman's ace in the hole on that because he can't be mind-controlled and his morphing powers are superior to J'onn's.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Wait what? J'onns was supposed to be on a molecular level, yeah? Like that was a plot point when he fought Superman, and thus could grow spikes that would actually penetrate him.

Yeah yeah, people's power levels and skill sets vary wildly from run to run.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Johnny Aztec posted:

Wait what? J'onns was supposed to be on a molecular level, yeah? Like that was a plot point when he fought Superman, and thus could grow spikes that would actually penetrate him.

Yeah yeah, people's power levels and skill sets vary wildly from run to run.

To summarize the arc: Batman puts together a new JLA team, and for some reason that no one can understand, he invites Plastic Man to join. Plastic Man does his goofy cartoon character schtick and generally serves as comic relief. Then the Martian Manhunter goes crazy, turns into a 40 story tall shapeshifting fire demon and tries to destroy the world by mind controlling world leaders into launching nukes. While the rest of the League is chasing ICBMs, Plastic Man turns into a 40 story tall goofy cartoon character and punches J'onn through a building. Batman explains that he brought Plastic Man into the League just so he would have someone who could go toe to toe with the Martian Manhunter, since he's immune to telepathy and he's a more imaginative shapeshifter. Then North Korea gets nuked and we get that one page where flash rescues an entire city's worth of people by running at 180 quintillion times the speed of light or something like that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I always liked that scene in Morrison's JLA where Circe turns Plas into a pig and it stops him for all of half a page, if that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Was that Millar that made him Big Barda's dress? Patton Oswalt had him do the same to Poison Ivy when she tried to poison a party at the Justice League moon base.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I'm one of the weirdos who can't stand Joe Kelly, especially his Deadpool (Duggan/Posehn forever), but I recognize how good his Plastic Man is. Those Injustice scenes are top notch, though, and totally convinced me to pay full price for a comic fr the first time in months (Comixology has tricked me into treating comic like Steam sales).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Die Laughing posted:

Was that Millar that made him Big Barda's dress? Patton Oswalt had him do the same to Poison Ivy when she tried to poison a party at the Justice League moon base.

Mark Waid, apparently: http://everything2.com/title/JLA+%252333

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

That set of panels was the very first I ever saw of Plastic Man :allears:

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

That bit is great and it's Plastic Man to a T.

E: in universe proper of coyrse: Kyle Baker run rules/Jack Cole stuff holds up amazingly well
E2: grant Morrison and Mark waid have both had him change color, which is weird considering their slavish devotion to continuity

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 1, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Batman's method of stopping Plastic Man from Tower of Babel was to freeze him and then shatter him with a hammer.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Shapeshifting when you're not limited by biology is a pretty top-tier superpower.

I guess Plas doesn't have any way of getting out of the sun if Supes throws him into it though. It wouldn't kill him, he'd just be stuck.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Gavok posted:

Plas left the team for a while and tried to live a normal life with his estranged son, but Batman brought him back because Martian Manhunter went rogue and was no longer weak to fire. Plas was Batman's ace in the hole on that because he can't be mind-controlled and his morphing powers are superior to J'onn's.
Forgive me for dragging the Plas is Awesome Derail a little further but I don't remember immunity to mind control being one of his powers?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

As far as I know, his brain is just distributed throughout his body, so it'd be hard to get a read on his mind.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

As far as I know, his brain is just distributed throughout his body, so it'd be hard to get a read on his mind.

I think they go for this "his mind is as rubbery as he is" approach.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Injustice is great, period. Plastic Man being written in-character is just the latest thing it got right.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think they go for this "his mind is as rubbery as he is" approach.

From what i vaguely remember, it's this to a literal degree- his brain is rubber, so it can't be read or controlled by a psychic for the same reason robots can't- it's not biological.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Serious Frolicking posted:

Injustice is great, period. Plastic Man being written in-character is just the latest thing it got right.

I'm a lazy broke bastard, but everything I've seen of the series on this board has told me that somehow the quickie tie-in comic to a violent video game is the best written thing to come out of DC in years.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Avulsion posted:

To summarize the arc: Batman puts together a new JLA team, and for some reason that no one can understand, he invites Plastic Man to join. Plastic Man does his goofy cartoon character schtick and generally serves as comic relief. Then the Martian Manhunter goes crazy, turns into a 40 story tall shapeshifting fire demon and tries to destroy the world by mind controlling world leaders into launching nukes. While the rest of the League is chasing ICBMs, Plastic Man turns into a 40 story tall goofy cartoon character and punches J'onn through a building. Batman explains that he brought Plastic Man into the League just so he would have someone who could go toe to toe with the Martian Manhunter, since he's immune to telepathy and he's a more imaginative shapeshifter. Then North Korea gets nuked and we get that one page where flash rescues an entire city's worth of people by running at 180 quintillion times the speed of light or something like that.

I have only ever seen the North Korea panels with Flash anyone have the JLA kaiju battle pages?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Kyle Baker's Plastic Man is vulnerable to acetone. It's not his kryptonite, since kryptonite doesn't melt Superman...I guess it's his Dip, like from Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Sometimes he just rips them in half.

Anyway

Darth Vader Annual

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

drat it, Sentry, you had ONE JOB!

Actually, you also had to keep the Void in check on a daily basis, but... okay, you had TWO JOBS!

Choco1980 posted:

I'm a lazy broke bastard, but everything I've seen of the series on this board has told me that somehow the quickie tie-in comic to a violent video game is the best written thing to come out of DC in years.

It's actually helped a lot by existing alongside New 52 because as dark and messed up as it can be at times, the underlying point is, "This is NOT how it should be!" Kind of like Plastic Man's rant. New 52 never had that self-awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SilverSupernova posted:

Sometimes he just rips them in half.

Anyway

Darth Vader Annual

Are we posting this in the good comic book art thread as well, because wow, man