Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Annath posted:

Which is the better bang for your buck Explorer ship, the Asp Explorer or the Diamondback Explorer?

Emphasis on bang for your buck, given the price difference.

Asp for sheer long distance space madness. DBE if you're on a budget and want to hop skip 1k out or so and back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lankiveil posted:

Is there a trick for fuel scooping? From what I've read, I just need to fly close-ish to a star in supercruise, but I always end up getting too close and having to emergency stop, without getting so much as the fuel scoop HUD popping up. I've checked and the scoop is powered. What am I missing?

You cannot draw from certain stars. The fuel scoop should start automatically at a pretty big distance from the star, usually around the time your ship starts to get hotter.

Get a better engine if you dont want to start cooking inside your ship

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lankiveil posted:

Is there a trick for fuel scooping? From what I've read, I just need to fly close-ish to a star in supercruise, but I always end up getting too close and having to emergency stop, without getting so much as the fuel scoop HUD popping up. I've checked and the scoop is powered. What am I missing?

Your HUD shows the Emergency Drop boundary by projecting a circle around the star in question. Angle to head inside this and you'll drop out, stay outside the circle and you'll be fine. From there it's a balance of fuel rate and heat. Just buzz the star at the correct distance and you'll scoop tons of fuel. Whether you do a complete orbit, fueling the whole time, or sips, dodging into the star and back out, depends on your fuel needs and your ship's heat management capabilities. Your fuel scoop will top out before you get too close to the star to drop out, so don't worry about that.

Additionally, you can only scoop stars of certain types. The mnemonic I use to remember is KGB FOAM. Any star of those types you can scoop.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

alr posted:

Hardpoint placement status: complete balls. Two large weapons above and below the cockpit mean you have a very limited angle and a minimum distance where both will actually converge onto the target. The two medium hardpoints are set underneath and wayyy back, so at anything past 400 or so meters you need to pitch up to where the target is below your line of sight to actually get any projectile to land. I solved it by putting shotguns there and getting up in their face but some more versatility would be nice.
3 Fixed Beam Lasers on the bottom and a big-rear end Frag Cannon (or Cannon) up top works pretty well.
The FAS harpoints are well set-up for running fixed weapons, and the ship is agile enough that you can stay on target easily even against Eagles, although as you said the two large hardpoints are far enough that if you have two fixed weapons there in the same fire group there's enough of a gap to make it a challenge to keep both weapons on the same target when you are really close and it's not Python-sized.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 1, 2016

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

radintorov posted:

3 Fixed Beam Lasers on the bottom and a big-rear end Frag Cannon (or Cannon) up top works pretty well.
The FAS harpoints are well set-up for running fixed weapons, and the ship is agile enough that you can stay on target easily even against Eagles.

I've been holding out against engaging Vultures in my shiny new FAS cause I don't know if I can keep them in my sights* :v: I guess I'll actually have to give this a try.

*Also, strong shields, weak payout.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Arrath posted:

I've been holding out against engaging Vultures in my shiny new FAS cause I don't know if I can keep them in my sights* :v: I guess I'll actually have to give this a try.

*Also, strong shields, weak payout.
Main reason I've been fighting Vultures at all is because of the CZ Gakiutl: in my experience they usually pack at least one Railgun, so with the shields on the FAS not being the best, you cannot afford to ignore them. But the FAS is agile enough that you can stay on a Vulture without any FAOff maneuvering.

Edit: also the AI is such a good shot that it can nail one module over and over again, so it can disable you really quickly if you don't get out of its field of fire.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

radintorov posted:

The FAS harpoints are well set-up for running fixed weapons, and the ship is agile enough that you can stay on target easily even against Eagles, although as you said the two large hardpoints are far enough that if you have two fixed weapons there in the same fire group there's enough of a gap to make it a challenge to keep both weapons on the same target when you are really close and it's not Python-sized.
I like Shine's build: 1x large beam up top, 3x frag cannons down below (I use a gimballed beam and fixed frags, but you do you). It can take a bit to strip shields off of the really big targets, but once you do, the frags will make short work of just about anything. The beam can be fired basically forever with 4 pips, and heat is a complete non-issue.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 1, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat I guess flying an asp for so long makes it so switching to literally anything else feels like an improvement in handling.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Helter Skelter posted:

I like Shine's build: 1x large beam up top, 3x frag cannons down below (I use a gimballed beam and fixed frags, but you do you). It can take a bit to strip shields off of the really big targets, but once you do, the frags will make short work of just about anything. The beam can be fired basically forever with 4 pips, and heat is a complete non-issue.

And then if that fails, you just hit your boost and throw your 700 tons of space gently caress you right into their canopy.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Closer to 830 tons, but the point-shaped dent in the victim's hull is made regardless.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Helter Skelter posted:

Something like this makes me want to ditch the Clipper

I love ramming but sometimes I just want to shred a target with a big laser and space shotguns

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Something like this makes me want to ditch the Clipper

I love ramming but sometimes I just want to shred a target with a big laser and space shotguns

Join the Fer De Lance club. Four railguns and a huge plasma accelerator.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Lankiveil posted:

When you get close to a star (or any celestial object), there will appear a green circle at some distance from the surface. This is the do-not-cross line. If you get closer than that, your FSD will fail and you'll be dropped (usually violently) into normal space. The trick with fuel scooping is to stay as close to that line for as long as possible without getting below it or overheating.
Also note that not every star is scoopable. There is an acronym than uses star types you can use to make sure you can scoop from a star (KGB FOAM). T-Tauri type stars are notoriously tricky for looking like main sequence stars without offering any hydrogen for fueling.
Tl;dr: make sure the star is scoopable, and always approach from an angle.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Speed doesn't matter either, so I like to get to ~80% of scooping capacity zone and just throttle all the way down. I won't overheat, and I don't have to street around in a circle constantly

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Speed doesn't matter either, so I like to get to ~80% of scooping capacity zone and just throttle all the way down. I won't overheat, and I don't have to street around in a circle constantly

Yeah, that's the way normal people do it. Just blast into the sun until scooping starts, throttle down and you'll automatically end up at that point.

No reason for weird orbital rides or whatever. I guess you could do that if you record or stream, so the video looks more impressive, but I can tell you after a couple thousand jumps out in the darkness this will get old fast.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Libluini posted:

Yeah, that's the way normal people do it. Just blast into the sun until scooping starts, throttle down and you'll automatically end up at that point.

No reason for weird orbital rides or whatever. I guess you could do that if you record or stream, so the video looks more impressive, but I can tell you after a couple thousand jumps out in the darkness this will get old fast.

It took me an embarrassing number of scoops to consider the fact I should throttle down that low :saddowns:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

For scooping, you don't even have to throttle up much to get in scooping range. I usually start scooping after a few seconds of setting the throttle to maybe a couple notches - I usually don't even get into the Blue Zone.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yesterday I got a slaver mission from robigo that had me super cruise for 95,000ls. I was pretty mad but then today it gave me one for 400,000ls so I'm just gonna laugh.

where the gently caress is the micro jump system and why haven't they implemented it yet

e-haha motherfucking popo came in right as I was about to dock and scanned me! This is bullshit

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 1, 2016

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Cao Ni Ma posted:

e-haha motherfucking popo came in right as I was about to dock and scanned me! This is bullshit
Even better: you're in sight of the station and the bugger warps out right in front of you just as you hit boost and slam into him taking out your ship.

I can't wait till the Anaconda lives up to it's in-game description and adds a docking bay that we can tow a little Sidewinder around for galaxy exploration.

Nice :D

BogDew fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 1, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Pro tip 17 Draconis is in civil war right now so don't go there for smuggling missions as they just want donations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Pro tip 17 Draconis is in civil war right now so don't go there for smuggling missions as they just want donations.

Yeah, I went there some time ago and it was depressing. They are starving, dying of sickness, losing a war, and badly need money. Its the most depressing system right now.

I still need to raise my rep with the federation. I have the money to get a trade python right now but I'm no wherre near being able to get a FAS for hunting :smith:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Did they change the discount in li rong-yui territory? Just went to Kolaga to try and get some more armour for my FAS and they wanted full price for it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

WebDog posted:

Even better: you're in sight of the station and the bugger warps out right in front of you just as you hit boost and slam into him taking out your ship.

This just happened in my latest run. I pirate instantly interdicted me as I came into the system causing me to spin out. No issues, I'll just boost out like always, nope here comes the popo coming out of a jump dead ahead. Hits me, takes all of my shield and 40% of my hull. Instead of you know trying to stop the pirate trying to kill me he proceeds to try to scan me. I have no idea how he wasn't able to complete it other than I dropped chaff and went from 0 to boost as fast as I could.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Just got E:D via the Steam sale, looks like I waited a couple days too long for a free ship, but oh well. Looks like there is a lot to learn, watched all the videos from the OP, and the last dozen or so pages of this thread, and all the first posts in the PGS thread. No idea what I'll end up doing in this game, but going to give it a whirl when it finishes downloading.

One thing I don't really see addressed anywhere, is starting factions - I see that there are three main groups/alliances, but nothing about choosing one when starting out. Is this something I even need to worry about?

Exploration is really interesting to me (I did a lot of that in a stealthy ship in Eve), but from what I've read you need to get something like 15k ly out to do that, how hard/time consuming is that and what sort of a ship do I need to aim for to do it?

Cheers!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's not that far in the grand scheme, but bare in mind exploration takes commitment (some people have been out in the black for months). You can cover 1k LY in an hour if you don't stop to smell the roses. That statistic sounds like bullshit to me anyway though, the galaxy is less than 1% explored at the moment so there's no way a solid bubble that big has been mapped yet.

The vast majority of explored systems are in fairly tight (on a galactic scale) corridors between major "landmarks". Just go off the beaten track a bit and you'll find plenty of virgin territory.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 1, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

The Locator posted:

One thing I don't really see addressed anywhere, is starting factions - I see that there are three main groups/alliances, but nothing about choosing one when starting out. Is this something I even need to worry about?
The major factions? The only real benefit is unlocking new ships to purchase, and getting different permits to visit systems. For example ranking up in the Federation will give you the permit to visit Sol. It's a rank 4 permit. Early-game, you shouldn't worry about the Federation unless you REALLY want to visit Sol.

The Empire on the other hand give you ships. Rank 3 unlocks the Imperial Courier which is said to be an amazing ship, and the Imperial Eagle which is rank 1 for the Empire is a great starting ship. You do not need to worry about the higher tiers now. Getting to rank 1 is not a grind, and could take a couple of hours if you are unlucky with the board. But don't do charity scumming at your low level. Your time is better spent elsewhere.

The alliance on the other hand have no benefits whatsoever for deciding to rank up with them.

The main thing to do right now is just enjoy yourself. Don't worry about ranking up at all, and just play the game. Keep in mind that succeeding a mission with a logo on the right after the description will help your reputation with a faction. You start in and mostly will visit Federation systems. Empire is a little off the beaten track.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

The Locator posted:

Exploration is really interesting to me (I did a lot of that in a stealthy ship in Eve), but from what I've read you need to get something like 15k ly out to do that, how hard/time consuming is that and what sort of a ship do I need to aim for to do it?

Cheers!

So there are different layers of factions. The big three are very abstract, and mainly exist as a mechanism to gate access to faction-specific ships. As posts above have said, don't worry about grinding up rep with those, until you have enough cash to purchase the big, expensive faction ships. On top of that, the factions aren't mutually exclusive - you can top up your rank with all of them simultaneously, so it's not like you need to pick and choose,

As for exploring, you can scan any system you have not personally visited, and still collect some data. Getting several thousand ly out is only necessary if you want to start discovering unvisited systems (and there's a modest, flat bonus for selling the scan data of previously undiscovered bodies). The Asp Explorer or Diamondback Explorer are both excellent ships to explore in. On a lower budget, the Adder is also very capable.

A dedicated explorer will want to optimise for low weight and high jump range, sometimes foregoing shields, and you'll definitely want the full scanning suite - Detailed Surface Scanner, Advanced Discovery Scanner, D-rated modules (which are the lightest variety), and an A-rated Frame Shift Drive. The galaxy is approximately 50,000 ly wide, with Sag A*, the supermassive black hole at the center, 25,000 ly away.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

You actually cannot rank up with the alliance right now, they have no ranks.

Hell, there's not even an "Alliance Navy" really, just a loose collection of smaller navies that occasionally show up to shoot at the same thing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Lankiveil posted:

You can't scoop all types of stars. Generally speaking, bright orange- and peach-colored stars are scoopable, but that isn't 100%. You can see a star's class on the galaxy or system map. It needs to be one of the following letters: K, G, B, F, O, A, M (so just remember KGB FOAM). If you are in desperate need of a scoopable star, then filter by those types in the galaxy map. They are the first 7 options on the list, handily enough. If you don't have enough fuel to reach one, then change the routing type from Fastest to Economical. You'd be surprised how many little jumps you can make even when running on fumes.

E: hahahaha incredibly beaten.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Does the bug still exist where if you wait long enough before picking up your Community Goal reward you'll climb in the reward ranks as other people pick up theirs?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Is there any way to tell where I might be able to buy stuff to upgrade my ship? I found one port that has a shipyard and a few ships for sale, but I don't see anything in the outfitting section which is I assume where I would be able to buy upgrades to various systems?

Also, is there an easy way to identify the 'wanted' ships to shoot for bounty other than targeting them and waiting for that information to pop up?

Managed to score some hits on a single wanted dude and got a 65k bounty, yay, but the other one I tried to get to I got nothing so I guess he was out of range when I fired just before he exploded. Then I ran into a bunch or black rocks that I couldn't see so I decided to try and find a different spot to fly around in while I figure stuff out.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ok, I've read over the intro post and I want to go ahead and jump into this game.

I see that there is a season pass where I get everything up to now, and everything that will come out in the future. Is that what you guys have done? I can't imagine just buying expansions for however long they'll be doing them.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, I've read over the intro post and I want to go ahead and jump into this game.

I see that there is a season pass where I get everything up to now, and everything that will come out in the future. Is that what you guys have done? I can't imagine just buying expansions for however long they'll be doing them.

The "Season Pass" of Horizons will give you everything up to now, and up to the next major expansion.
You can play just with the base game, you just can't land on planets now which is the only thing currently released with Horizons.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

The Locator posted:

Is there any way to tell where I might be able to buy stuff to upgrade my ship? I found one port that has a shipyard and a few ships for sale, but I don't see anything in the outfitting section which is I assume where I would be able to buy upgrades to various systems?

Also, is there an easy way to identify the 'wanted' ships to shoot for bounty other than targeting them and waiting for that information to pop up?

Managed to score some hits on a single wanted dude and got a 65k bounty, yay, but the other one I tried to get to I got nothing so I guess he was out of range when I fired just before he exploded. Then I ran into a bunch or black rocks that I couldn't see so I decided to try and find a different spot to fly around in while I figure stuff out.

There's no way in game to see exactly what is sold at each system in outfitting, http://eddb.io/ is a fantastic resource for this kind of thing if you're looking for something specific.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The Locator posted:

Since this game doesn't have Space Rangers 2's wonderful space Google, your only in-game method is to look for station with high-tech economies. There are some unofficial websites that try to document this stuff, but since it changes frequently they are not always accurate.

quote:

Nope, but it only takes like 4 seconds so it's not really a big deal. By the time you've flown close enough to engage them you should have already identified them.

quote:

Managed to score some hits on a single wanted dude and got a 65k bounty

Make sure the "wanted" pops up before you open fire. Shooting someone who is wanted before your ship has identified them as wanted is a crime.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Shine posted:

Since this game doesn't have Space Rangers 2's wonderful space Google, your only in-game method is to look for station with high-tech economies. There are some unofficial websites that try to document this stuff, but since it changes frequently they are not always accurate.

Nope, but it only takes like 4 seconds so it's not really a big deal. By the time you've flown close enough to engage them you should have already identified them.

Make sure the "wanted" pops up before you open fire. Shooting someone who is wanted before your ship has identified them as wanted is a crime.

I figured out that I have to click the 'buy and equip' button in order to get a list of stuff that fits on that spot. So that mystery is solved, thanks everyone on that.

On the bounty's, there is an item called a Kill Warrant Scanner that goes in a utility slot. Does that make the wanted people show up on the overview?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The Locator posted:

I figured out that I have to click the 'buy and equip' button in order to get a list of stuff that fits on that spot. So that mystery is solved, thanks everyone on that.

On the bounty's, there is an item called a Kill Warrant Scanner that goes in a utility slot. Does that make the wanted people show up on the overview?

No, it's an item you use to scan people to claim bounties they may have with other systems/factions (remote bounties). For example, if you are in an Imperial system with a faction called Stupid Assholes, then if a target shows up Wanted there, it means they have a local bounty for Empire and/or Stupid Assholes. However, that person may also have a Federation bounty, but normally you won't be able to claim that bounty in an Imperial system. The only way to collect that remote bounty is to first scan the target with a Kill Warrant Scanner; you can view the remote bounty in the Contacts tab of your left panel. When you kill them, you will get a claim on that Federation bounty in additional to the local bounty, and you can cash it in next time you visit a Federation station.

To use the KWS, assign it to a fire group. If you usually use both buttons for your weapons, such as lasers on button 1 and cannons on button 2, then just make a second fire group with the lasers on button 1 and the KWS on button 2; you can scan them while you laser down the shields, then switch back to your laser/cannon fire group.

So basically, KWS lets you collect a bit more money from bounty hunting, albeit it's kinda deferred money since you'll have to go to another system to claim it. I recently had a few million in Empire bounties sitting in my claims because I did a lot of bounty hunting with a KWS in a Federation system. I claimed them next time I passed through Imperial space.

It's important to note that it's still illegal to shoot people who don't have local bounties, so you can't legally shoot somebody who's Clean just because a KWS scan shows they have a bounty in another system. In practice, only scan people after they show as Wanted and you'll be fine.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

The Locator posted:

Not really. The general rule is a high population system with a high-tech economy. Zhen dock in Xihe is pretty good, and the nearest decent outfitters to Goon space. Any outfitters in a Li Yong-Rui controlled system (check on Powerplay map) will generally have a 15% discount on stuff as well, which is worth it for high-end gear.

If you don't want to mess around https://eddb.io/station is good - use the "Station sells Modules" search, I think it works again now.

The Locator posted:

is there an easy way to identify the 'wanted' ships to shoot for bounty other than targeting them and waiting for that information to pop up?

You have to scan, but you can make an educated guess as to which ships are no-good scum by looking at the ship type (trade ships are almost never wanted, combat ships are) and can sometimes guess based on NPC name if it is obvioulsy 'badass' sounding . And if anyone scans you when you have empty cargo hold, there will be a message like 'dammit, no cargo...useless', so you know they are a pirate.

The Locator posted:

...ran into a bunch or black rocks that I couldn't see

Yeah, don't fight in a ring when it's in the shadow of planet!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Having just lost my ship, I think I've discovered the most valuable thing in the game -

paintjob degradation

seriously a bashed up weathered paintjob is cool as hell, but they take ages to get and if you ever lose your ship, bam! fresh replacement with a pristine coat of paint :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So I'm looking to upgrade my computer in a few weeks, is there any reason I shouldn't hook this up to my 40 inch led tv in my room?

• Locked thread