Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Dystopia owns really hard but there are only about eight people left in the world who play it and they all live on GMT schedules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In the best of all possible worlds, Dystopia would be rereleased as a full game and there would be a player base again. That was one of the most fun mods I ever played, and it was already pretty dead when I played it back in '08-09.

While I'm in here, are there any F2P shooters with a good goon presence? I've been playing Dirty Bomb and Survarium, but I want some of that OP teamwork.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Planetside 2 might fit the bill, if you like the concept of that game.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
I'm looking for a type of medieval action adventure game and I'm a complete newbie. Want to be able to make my own guy or be able to customise them.
I've narrowed it down to Skyrim or Dragon Age. Which would be a better choice or a third option? I'm on PS3.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

MisterGBH posted:

I'm looking for a type of medieval action adventure game and I'm a complete newbie. Want to be able to make my own guy or be able to customise them.
I've narrowed it down to Skyrim or Dragon Age. Which would be a better choice or a third option? I'm on PS3.

Depends if you want more action or strategy. Skyrim's real-time first person, with an emphasis on kleptomania. Dragon Age is more top-down tactical strategy with a lot of dialogue based role playing.

For your third option, Dragon's Dogma is pretty much Skyrim except by Capcom; the combat's much deeper as far as action games go, but it can be a little hard to get into.

Not so much a fourth option, but something to keep in mind: the souls games (Demons' Souls, Dark Souls) have a somewhat overblown reputation for being hard. They're unforgiving, but if you're persistent and willing to put in the effort to learn the combat system you'll get through ok. I don't know if I'd recommend them for a first experience, but if you check them out and just fall in love, don't be discouraged by their reputation.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 30, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Planetside 2 might fit the bill, if you like the concept of that game.

I'll give it another shot, thanks. I played it for a while, but I was really disappointed with it compared to how much I loved the first. I'm also not sure how I feel about playing a game owned by a company that hired mercenaries to stage an armed takeover of an oilfield.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 30, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MisterGBH posted:

I'd say it depends on how much you value a strong narrative in your games. Skyrim is truly open world in the sense that everyone I know pretty much ignores the main questline from the get-go and sees what game systems they can break over their knee. DA:I has some open-world elements but they're much less developed in comparison to the main questline, which is dialogue and character-heavy. It comes down to whether you'd prefer to just explore and mess stuff up in the world or adhere to a stronger narrative structure, making important decisions along the way.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions goons. Didnt realise Skyrim was first person so that rules it right out for me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You can zoom out to third-person, it just looks much worse that way.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
If you haven't already I'd say look up youtube videos of anything you're considering buying.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

What about the creation parts? Its one of the reason I like Soul Calibur, WWE games and Sims. Basically I want to play as a approximation of me!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MisterGBH posted:

:darksouls:

MisterGBH posted:

Thanks for the suggestions goons. Didnt realise Skyrim was first person so that rules it right out for me.

dark souls dark souls dark souls

MisterGBH posted:

What about the creation parts? Its one of the reason I like Soul Calibur, WWE games and Sims. Basically I want to play as a approximation of me!

Skyrim's character creator is funky and all the characters kinda look like rear end, but that's how most videogame character creators are anyways. You can get a rough approximation of an uglier version of yourself if you want.

:ssh: Play Dark Souls instead

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
what are the best metroidvania games for pc since cave story? i'm playing ori and its really fun. not really interested in roguelike elements right now so no spelunky or w/e

story is good. axiom verge looks cool, is it good?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Axiom Verge is excellent, yes. It very much wears its Metroid influence on its sleeve in terms of aesthetics, but the gameplay elements are very unique. And there's an interesting story to suss out, but finding everything is a very find-the-right-box-to-shoot affair. (See (Super) Metroid). The music is loving good, too.

Goons often recommend Environmental Station Alpha, as well, though I haven't played that one all the way through yet.

Shadow Complex Remastered is free today and tomorrow, google for that 'cos I can't at work but Eidos has their own client thing.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Ciaphas posted:

Axiom Verge is excellent, yes. It very much wears its Metroid influence on its sleeve in terms of aesthetics, but the gameplay elements are very unique. And there's an interesting story to suss out, but finding everything is a very find-the-right-box-to-shoot affair. (See (Super) Metroid). The music is loving good, too.

Goons often recommend Environmental Station Alpha, as well, though I haven't played that one all the way through yet.

Shadow Complex Remastered is free today and tomorrow, google for that 'cos I can't at work but Eidos has their own client thing.

thanks will do =]

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

no_funeral posted:

what are the best metroidvania games for pc since cave story? i'm playing ori and its really fun. not really interested in roguelike elements right now so no spelunky or w/e

story is good. axiom verge looks cool, is it good?
Guacamelee is kinda lite on the Metroidvania elements but it's a very good time. Shantae is also nice and extremely charming.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Arcadey PC racing game. For reference: My favorite racing games were Need for Speed Underground and the first Most Wanted. Hated the recent Hot Pursuit because of the gadgets and simple tracks.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
If you want something that feels arcadey, but looks real-ish, ignore this post. If you're after good technique and subtle differences in control that wind up with big difference at the end, I'd recommend any of the trackmania series. One of them is even free (TM United Forever, maybe?) so it couldn't hurt to try. If you really want to go all :pcgaming: there's Distance, which is probably kind of like what the dreams/nightmares of people in Tron would look like.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I got Starbound for Christmas, but it turned out it's a bit more like Terraria than I had hoped for. I'm particularly let down by the role of your spaceship, at least at the beginning; there's not enough room in it for it to serve as a home base, but it's just useful enough to not pretend it doesn't exist. If it were either crashlanded at first (so you'd make your base around it, and by the time it was ready to go it'd be big enough to pack your stuff in) or, well, big enough to serve as a proper 'rest and craft' place without juggling equipment, I think I'd like Starbound better. It's also slightly more guided than Terraria - in that it has guidance - but still has the issue of 'you need x resource? Tunnel blindly through the earth until you find some' that's turned me off of stuff like Minecraft. (I swear, there've been times I've played Terraria that I was dubious that, say, iron actually existed in the given world.)

But this isn't the gripe about games thread. What games should I be looking at that might be more to my liking? I'm envisioning a game where I travel from planet to planet, looking at cool vistas, encountering weird critters, and gathering resources (some way other than 'toil endlessly beneath the surface'), then using those resources to make my ship a bit cooler and heading off for a new venue. Or maybe just chilling in orbit and watching the planet turn out my window as I listen to space music.

I use a Linux box, so suggestions also have to either run well under Wine or run well on Linux. (I've been burned more than once by games that say they run on Linux but don't say anything about running well. I'm looking at you, Shadow of 'whoops you bought the wrong graphics card Linux drivers are poo poo' Mordor.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I would be interested in answers to his question except without the Linux requirement.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

22 Eargesplitten posted:

While I'm in here, are there any F2P shooters with a good goon presence? I've been playing Dirty Bomb and Survarium, but I want some of that OP teamwork.

Warframe has an active thread I believe.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

So I've already asked for a recommendation (Skyrim) another ask. Any games similar too the Batman Arkham games? As in a mixture of stealth/combat? Again PS3

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

MisterGBH posted:

So I've already asked for a recommendation (Skyrim) another ask. Any games similar too the Batman Arkham games? As in a mixture of stealth/combat? Again PS3

Assassins Creed is less combat oriented, Shadows of Mordor is more combat oriented than Arkham. I seem to remember that the PS3 version of Shadows doesn't have the nemesis system, so check that because it's the most fun part of the game.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 31, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MisterGBH posted:

Get some pork buns in you with Sleeping Dogs. If you want good stealth and combat, you should also try Splinter Cell: Blacklist. The story's utter crap, but the gameplay is fantastic.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of Assassin's Creed, are there any other games where you can wander around ancient, real world (or close to it) locations? While the gameplay of AC is incredibly stale at this point, I've always enjoyed the cities. The feeling of walking through history is cool, even if Ubisoft takes license with it.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
My 3d accelerator card overheats every time a modern game is brought up. So I can't play Fallout 4, GTA V, Skyrim or any other somewhat demanding game.

I need recommendations for games to play over the long break. I'd prefer actiony and/or RTS or real time RPG. Story is good. I've got Shadowrun: Hong Kong to play, but need something with a bit more shooting in it.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

SquadronROE posted:

My 3d accelerator card overheats every time a modern game is brought up. So I can't play Fallout 4, GTA V, Skyrim or any other somewhat demanding game.

I need recommendations for games to play over the long break. I'd prefer actiony and/or RTS or real time RPG. Story is good. I've got Shadowrun: Hong Kong to play, but need something with a bit more shooting in it.

You might try Doorkickers. It's a 2D top-down tactical strategy game where you direct your team of SWAT dudes through buildings, taking out terrorists and saving hostages Rainbow Six-style. The interface is really intuitive and allows you to create some very elaborate plans that are super satisfying to pull off. Not much in the way of story but the gameplay is great and it shouldn't tax an old rig very much. It also has plenty of content, including single missions, campaigns featuring X-COM style permadeath, a random mission generator and user created maps.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Phetz posted:

You might try Doorkickers. It's a 2D top-down tactical strategy game where you direct your team of SWAT dudes through buildings, taking out terrorists and saving hostages Rainbow Six-style. The interface is really intuitive and allows you to create some very elaborate plans that are super satisfying to pull off. Not much in the way of story but the gameplay is great and it shouldn't tax an old rig very much. It also has plenty of content, including single missions, campaigns featuring X-COM style permadeath, a random mission generator and user created maps.

That's actually a good idea, I've meant to give Doorkickers a shot. How involved is the actual campaign? Is there much in the way of character development (in terms of stats, not personality).

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

SquadronROE posted:

That's actually a good idea, I've meant to give Doorkickers a shot. How involved is the actual campaign? Is there much in the way of character development (in terms of stats, not personality).

The campaigns are basically single missions that are stitched together in one continuous procession with some optional side missions. The big difference is that squad deaths are permanent, so if you lose a guy he's gone until you finish the campaign unless you restart that mission. There's also an Ironman mode that I think removes the option to restart.

What's cool is that the equipment you unlock and the squaddies you train up through the single missions are persistent on your profile, so if you find a campaign too hard due to equipment requirements or untrained squaddies, you can abandon it for a bit, do a bunch of single missions to unlock stuff and train, and come back.

I'd say there's a healthy bit of depth in character development. Your dudes level up as they complete missions and kill tangos, which enhances their innate skills of Marksmanship, Assault Shooting and (I think) Field Skills, which basically translate to long range shooting, short range shooting/target acquisition, and how quickly they can use their equipment, respectively. You don't have control over that, but what you do have control over is how you equip your dudes and what classes they are. Equipment consists of long gun, sidearm, tactical vest, consumable equipment, breaching equipment and a riot shield if that guy is the appropriate class. There are also several classes (which you pick for your dudes at the beginning of each mission) with different specialties, like the quick-shooting Pointman and the door-vaporizing Breacher. Each one has a very specific role to play in a team and comes with its own set of strengths and weaknesses.

Beyond classes, a lot of parameters get changed as you equip your guys differently--do you give your Pointman a powerful and accurate revolver that shoots slowly, or a low-power pistol that shoots quickly and has a large ammo capacity? Do you give that same dude breaching charges or more flashbangs (which can be extremely important)? You make a lot of these choices depending on the type of mission you're tackling and the layout of the map, which will be your only data to look at before you start a mission, besides the approximate number of hostiles/friendlies, which can change as you restart a mission.

Overall I'd say the character development works really well and each of the classes acts very differently from one another. I guess the weakest bit of it is the lack of personality--every dude has the same voice and the sprites only change with a soldier's class, so you don't really get to see all the cool stuff you've tricked your dudes out with in-game. Other than that though it's a really solid game that's pretty impressive considering it was made by a tiny indie team out in Romania.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Are there any games out there that are like a modern adaptation of Skyroads (space backdrop, SUPER chill synthy music, light platforming with space vehicles)?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I adore Fallen London and Sunless Sea. I love its atmosphere and its writing and its sense of humor. But what I think I love the most is that its a game about exploring a strange world and establishing your place in it, rather than beating a big bad.

I'm interested in other games like this. I love the Elder Scrolls series, and it comes close, but not quite. The stories are bad and outside of Morrowind the settings boring. Fallout: New Vegas actually probably comes closest, because not only is it an open world to explore with good characters but it has a reactive storyline, good writing, and feels like it has a sense of place, and you look start off as a nobody and gradually become more influential.

Being able to build a character in different ways and have choice would be critical to what I'm looking for, and that's not quite in the Elder Scrolls.

I'm thinking MMORPGS may be good for this but I've found the gameplay of every one I've tried tedious and boring and don't like the dialog systems of "box of text, click okay, no real options."

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

prometheusbound2 posted:

I'm thinking MMORPGS may be good for this but I've found the gameplay of every one I've tried tedious and boring and don't like the dialog systems of "box of text, click okay, no real options."

SWTOR is pretty good for a story based MMO, and if you want to explore then you might enjoy Miasmata.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

SWTOR is pretty good for a story based MMO, and if you want to explore then you might enjoy Miasmata.

The Secret World is also a pretty heavily story based MMO and almost feels like a better single player RPG than an MMO, and it now has no monthly fee so it operates more like one.

And as a bonus Secret World takes place in a very lovecraftian setting not unlike Fallen London.

There's lots of flexibility in builds in Secret World for sure, lots of customization. The combat isn't my favorite but its also not completely terrible and the story is actually really good.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I'm guessing that the lack of responses to my prior request means there isn't a game that exactly suits my preferences, so... let's see if I can settle. Here's my feature list. Can you suggest games that hit at least some of the bullet points? It must be a game where you can fly a spaceship between planets and explore them, and here are the things I want it to have as well...
  • Either a large scope or a lot of detail in the scope it does have, preferably both.
  • Being able to free-roam inside my ship and on planets.
  • Seamless transitions from space to planetside.
  • Being able to land on planets.
  • Some sort of resource-gathering and ship-improving mechanic. I don't care about building elaborate structures on-planet.
  • Stuff to do in space, whether it be resource-gathering or combat.
  • Stuff to do on the planet, with the proviso that it not be 'grab a pickaxe and slowly and tediously carve out a mine'.
Any suggestions? (Oh, and I know Spore hits some of those bullet points, but I've already played it to death.)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm guessing that the lack of responses to my prior request means there isn't a game that exactly suits my preferences, so... let's see if I can settle. Here's my feature list. Can you suggest games that hit at least some of the bullet points? It must be a game where you can fly a spaceship between planets and explore them, and here are the things I want it to have as well...
  • Either a large scope or a lot of detail in the scope it does have, preferably both.
  • Some sort of resource-gathering and ship-improving mechanic. I don't care about building elaborate structures on-planet.
  • Stuff to do on the planet, with the proviso that it not be 'grab a pickaxe and slowly and tediously carve out a mine'.
Any suggestions? (Oh, and I know Spore hits some of those bullet points, but I've already played it to death.)

Elite Dangerous is getting that stuff through the Horizons expansion. You can always go further back to Elite 2. You might enjoy Evochron Mercenary, and the X series too if you don't mind a lack of landing on planets. If you're especially patient, just wait for No Man's Sky and/or Star Citizen.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Elite Dangerous is getting that stuff through the Horizons expansion.

Ehhh. I own E:D, but the pricing on the expansion is crazy. I mean, yeah, they say it's a season pass or something, but apparently most of the stuff I'd be interested in is not going to be included in it.

quote:

You can always go further back to Elite 2.

Is there a good way to play that on modern machines? Google's suggested a couple different remake projects, but I don't know if any of them are any good.

quote:

You might enjoy Evochron Mercenary

I think I bought that at some point... or maybe I just tried the demo? I remember the planet physics being wonky, and the planets themselves being basically balls with a station stuck to them (i.e., no reason to explore). I guess I could check again.

quote:

and the X series too if you don't mind a lack of landing on planets.

Egh. I bought that, but it alternated between long periods of autopiloting between systems and getting my balls blown off by anything more threatening than a mosquito.

quote:

If you're especially patient, just wait for No Man's Sky and/or Star Citizen.

I may just have to do that. Thanks anyway!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

FredMSloniker posted:

Maybe look into Empyrion: Galactic Survival and/or Space Engineers?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Was there ever a good Car Wars type game that can run on modern computers? Like Interstate '76 or the turn based Autoduel of the 80s?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

prometheusbound2 posted:

I adore Fallen London and Sunless Sea. I love its atmosphere and its writing and its sense of humor. But what I think I love the most is that its a game about exploring a strange world and establishing your place in it, rather than beating a big bad.

I'm interested in other games like this. I love the Elder Scrolls series, and it comes close, but not quite. The stories are bad and outside of Morrowind the settings boring. Fallout: New Vegas actually probably comes closest, because not only is it an open world to explore with good characters but it has a reactive storyline, good writing, and feels like it has a sense of place, and you look start off as a nobody and gradually become more influential.

Being able to build a character in different ways and have choice would be critical to what I'm looking for, and that's not quite in the Elder Scrolls.

Try 80 Days which has a similar CYOA style of Fallen London. Tonally it's like the direct opposite being a strange Victorian steampunk universe but it's boundlessly optimistic and cheery.

FredMSloniker posted:

Maybe Rodina. There's a demo but I don't know how feature complete it is at this point.

SquadronROE posted:

Was there ever a good Car Wars type game that can run on modern computers? Like Interstate '76 or the turn based Autoduel of the 80s?

Nothing quite so tactical but Renegade Ops is isometric vehicle combat which reminds me of the classic Strike series of games.

Also what do you think of Carmageddon?

al-azad fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SquadronROE posted:

About 50% of Mad Max