Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Wonder Turbine posted:

Targeting is hard, you guys...

This is sick and disgusting.

I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

This is sick and disgusting.

I love it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
on my sch and smn i have the 4 dots on 1-4 in order from longest lasting to least that way i can just faceroll them without thinking every time the first one goes out

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Kitfox88 posted:

on my sch and smn i have the 4 dots on 1-4 in order from longest lasting to least that way i can just faceroll them without thinking every time the first one goes out

I have fire on 1, blizzard on 2, thunder on 4, and then use alt/ctrl/shift for the II/III/IV versions. I should probably move stuff around so it's easier to instacast F3/T3/B3 while moving.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Belzac posted:

I've killed all of savage on monk. You lose stacks almost every time in tornado unless you group is just bad enough to have slimes left up by the time he comes back and some how just good enough to still kill the boss. A2S and A4S you can reliably never lose stacks but A2S lol and A4S you're probably just gonna be tunneling the boss and forget that PB came back. In theory I think you want to use it after DK, TS, DEMO and then use True Strike x4 and then a snap.

The one I heard was True Strike x2, Tornado Kick, Snap Punch x3.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
All these setups...

:yikes:

jesus christ, wow lol

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Yoshi-P's lore bomb is powerful this year...

Ere legends began there was only one sea with neither light nor dark.

Ere history began there would become fourteen seas as light and dark came separate.

This star fears the moon, and set many children upon the sea.

The moon hates this star, and sent many children back upon the sea.

"The guidance of the Crystal be with you."

—from the final passage of the journal of Louisoix Leveilleur. A translated excerpt of The Gerun Oracles.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just went buy a Fantasia and I like that the image shown is a human male turning into a catgirl. They're like "don't gently caress with us - we know why you're here".

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

vOv posted:

I have fire on 1, blizzard on 2, thunder on 4, and then use alt/ctrl/shift for the II/III/IV versions. I should probably move stuff around so it's easier to instacast F3/T3/B3 while moving.

this is an interesting setup, I had been considering doing base for Fire, Alt for Blizzard, and Shift for Thunder.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Stallion Cabana posted:

this is an interesting setup, I had been considering doing base for Fire, Alt for Blizzard, and Shift for Thunder.

Honestly I only use it because it's what I'm used to at this point and I have a compulsion to keep my hotbars 'organized' by having similar spells on similar keys. Hitting W+Ctrl+1 is basically impossible. Though I did pick up a G600 a while back, maybe I could bind stuff to that.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Switch caps lock with control and key presses like that becomes much easier.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Kibner posted:

Switch caps lock with control and key presses like that becomes much easier.

Did that a long time ago cause I'm a software dev. It's still kinda janky cause usually I put my ring finger on the W and my pinky finger on caps lock/ctrl, so that doesn't leave anything to press 1.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Thundarr posted:

Looks like the next content patch is bringing us the best update yet.

http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/

Hell yes, Gamera turtle.

I have wanted this since they announced flying mounts. Awesome.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I will never give up my zmerc keyboard for this exact reason. Amazingly the mapping software still works in Windows 10. But it's really easy to shift/ctrl and hit 1 through = with the game buttons on that thing and still move

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

vOv posted:

Did that a long time ago cause I'm a software dev. It's still kinda janky cause usually I put my ring finger on the W and my pinky finger on caps lock/ctrl, so that doesn't leave anything to press 1.

Change movement to esdf so you can use your middle finger to move forward.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Hey, so I wonder if we're going to get some Louis Vuitton branded items in the cash shop in the new year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...n-a6792461.html

Long story short, Lightning from FFXIII is apparently going to be a campaign model for Louis Vuitton in the spring.

LV Brown Dye?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
There's a new recruit in the FC I'm in on exodus who levelled to almost 50 on fates alone and haven't done their main quests since level 20 or so :stare:

loving Order. This place is 95% full of idiots

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

"I want to level all classes before anything else"

Holy gently caress.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Ignimbrite posted:

There's a new recruit in the FC I'm in on exodus who levelled to almost 50 on fates alone and haven't done their main quests since level 20 or so :stare:

loving Order. This place is 95% full of idiots

Could possibly be botting everything.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Thanks to everyone in TPT and elsewhere that dragged my drunk, fresh-50 self through all those HM primals and the first eight coils.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

MohShuvuu posted:

Could possibly be botting everything.

If he is, he's doing a good job of appearing like he's never played an MMO before; he didn't understand how spiritbonding worked :psyduck:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

quote:

We will kick off 2016 moving towards the finale of our Heavensward storyline with Patch 3.2

So, does this mean there'll be another full-blown expansion pack in 2016? I haven't really been paying attention much to how they plan to do the updates. :shrug:

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Ignimbrite posted:

If he is, he's doing a good job of appearing like he's never played an MMO before; he didn't understand how spiritbonding worked :psyduck:

I've been playing for a couple weeks and I'm still not sure I've got a full grasp on it. It's just that you wear gear for long enough, the meter hits 100%, and you can break it down into materia, right?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

FrostyPox posted:

So, does this mean there'll be another full-blown expansion pack in 2016? I haven't really been paying attention much to how they plan to do the updates. :shrug:

I think it's more likely that we're going to get the Heavensward plot resolved, and start moving into setting things up for 4.0, which is much what 2.X did. Really, the ENTIRE Crystal Braves plot was setting up things for The Fall and our exile to Ishgard.

EDIT:

My speculation is that even if we beat any individual member of the Triad in a fight, we won't be able to actually DESTROY them and they will simply restore themselves the same way Odin does. And this is going to snowball until we have all three members of the Triad active at once and things are Going To Get Bad. You could hang an entire expansion on the Triad deciding that it's time for some of that old time religion and heading back to their homeland to rally the troops.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 1, 2016

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

redstormpopcorn posted:

I've been playing for a couple weeks and I'm still not sure I've got a full grasp on it. It's just that you wear gear for long enough, the meter hits 100%, and you can break it down into materia, right?

That's exactly it. There's other stuff, like knowing the optimal level range of mobs to kill based on the ilvl of the gear, but that's the basic gist of it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Gearhead posted:

I think it's more likely that we're going to get the Heavensward plot resolved, and start moving into setting things up for 4.0, which is much what 2.X did. Really, the ENTIRE Crystal Braves plot was setting up things for The Fall and our exile to Ishgard.

Oh, hmm. Very good point!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

FrostyPox posted:

I think it means '3.2 will start setting up for the end of the Heavensward storyline'. There's no way they could tie up the entire thing in 3.2, there's just so many balls in the air at the moment.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

FrostyPox posted:

Oh, hmm. Very good point!

One of the things that has worried me since 2.X is that we now know that the transition from Astral to Umbral ages coincides with actual cosmic level shenanigans. There's no real basis for the city-state leaders to have proclaimed that after a mere 10 years we had made it into the 8th Astral Era.

This is the 7th Umbral. Things are still going down. Things are going to get worse.

If the latest bit of prophecy from the desk of Yoshi-P is any indication, this is the LAST Umbral. And the Ascian playbook seems to include their greatest hits from every previous time they've hosed the world for their mysterious and enigmatic agenda. We're still rifling through the sock drawer of the Allagan Era and the War of the Magi, there's still PLENTY of room for horrors from the past to erupt on stage. (To say nothing of the hungry things outside just WAITING for a chance to sneak in.)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Hell, weren't the allagans from like the 3rd astral or w/e? isn't there poo poo even older than them potentially that still has the chance to wreck house?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Kitfox88 posted:

Hell, weren't the allagans from like the 3rd astral or w/e? isn't there poo poo even older than them potentially that still has the chance to wreck house?

Yes, and I made a slight error.

FFXIV 1.0 was in the 6th Astral, leading into the 7th Umbral when Bahamut broke loose.

The alliance claims we've entered the 7th Astral, this is likely bullshit.

We've had a lot of stuff from the Allagan pop up, and the Shadows of Mhach are all about the War of the Magi.

There are still three whole ages before the Allag that could show up and whatever happened in the age between Allag and the War of thr Magi.

We have a biiiig world we have yet to explore... and the Triad is a ticking bomb about to go off. I could easily see it getting so bad that the Empire joins forces with us to STOP the Triad. It benefits utterly no one if Sephirot, Zurvan and Sophia run uncontested... and I'm not sure even we can stop them with all the other elements in play.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Not to mention we still have contemporary threats - Garleans, Niddhogg, primals, Omega, and schemers within the Eorzean Alliance - that could show up to cause poo poo too.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
And other worlds sort of canonically exist and can interact with eorzia, as shown by the FFXI and FFXIII fates, plus random mobs like the Dragon Quest golems

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Gearhead posted:

One of the things that has worried me since 2.X is that we now know that the transition from Astral to Umbral ages coincides with actual cosmic level shenanigans. There's no real basis for the city-state leaders to have proclaimed that after a mere 10 years we had made it into the 8th Astral Era.

Didn't Koji Fox or someone else from the lore team say something on this subject about how it was basically propaganda that the leaders said we'd moved into an Astral Era (on the slimmest of excuses).

edit: Found it. http://gamerescape.com/2014/10/22/fan-fest-2014-interview-with-michael-christopher-koji-fox/

quote:

F: So, officially, it’s the Seventh Astral Era… but there’s still… a lot of stuff going on. Who are the Grand Company Leaders that they can just be like, “Okay, it’s over, we’re done!”

MCKF: This is a very political thing. Basically, five years ago, you had half of your world destroyed because Louisoix stepped in and tried to stop things and only half stopped things. A lot of people did pass away during the calamity and their livelihood as been destroyed and they have to rebuild and go into the shroud to move felled trees and rebuild their farms and it got a lot of people down. If you look at some of the NPC dialogue, one thing we did in 2.0 was, we thought you know if my life had been destroyed I’d be all depressed, I’m just trying to rebuild things and get back on my feet. SO we’ve tried to put that kind of text into these regular NPCs. You have all these people in these nations that are very down. They had this big war with the Garleans, they won all these great battles, it was the first time in thousands of years the Grand Companies were formed and then “hey we made… DIDN’T make it” so basically the GC leaders were waiting for something good to happen and they grasped onto that and said “ok! umbral era is over mission accomplished we’re done!” to hopefully bring peoples spirits up. It’s a morale thing, you can’t have your people depressed all the time, they won’t be productive thinking “why should I farm? Another Bahamut is gonna just destroy my fields”

F: So we have that quest line, Chronicles of a New Era.. so we ARE in a new era then?

MCKF: Yep. When they announce it, that’s it. But it’s weird because if a new player picks up the game and starts today they’re still in the Umbral Era, it’s in that time bubble
Not quite sure what to make of this. Makes it sound like we really are in an Astral Era even though so much poo poo is still going on and it makes no sense.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 1, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ActionZero posted:

Not quite sure what to make of this. Makes it sound like we really are in an Astral Era even though so much poo poo is still going on and it makes no sense.

Sounds like a bonified jRPG plot to me!

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The umbral eras are all very short compared to their corresponding astral ones. The Fifth Astral lasted a thousand years or so corresponding to the existence of Mhach, Nym and Amdapor, but the Sixth Umbral era was a single catastrophic flood leading into the 1500-odd years of the Sixth Astral Era.

The concern is that the pre-era prophecy that's predicted all these eras only had 7 sets of eras (one for each element, then a non-elemental one for the 7th). There's no more long-term roadmap for anyone to refer to, so suddenly the Archons are flying blind.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I am suddenly really, really amused by the concept of 'halfway' saving the world.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

:stare:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I ended up getting A Realm Reborn in a recent humble bundle and am wondering something. Does anyone have any tips to make this download speed up any? It is going just so slow ad hasn't hit over .30mb per second in the launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Gearhead posted:

I am suddenly really, really amused by the concept of 'halfway' saving the world.

• Locked thread