Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

triple sulk posted:

even if you install skype, get skype still exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpugp6DIb3I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
We Speak Outlook

idiots

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Elder Postsman posted:

"Automatic restart scheduled for 11:10", only options are restart now and close? what the gently caress is this bullshit

Elder Postsman posted:

aaahaha what the hell, it won't even let me select a different time in the windows update settings

oh my god this is just THE WORST
that's why microsoft is cool again

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

triple sulk posted:

even if you install skype, get skype still exists

sorry you're just not skype enough

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
which skype

skype for business, skype, skype for children, or skype for idiot bitch fuckers

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

three of those were once called lync

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lets not forget the business version of skype is still a thing https://www.skype.com/en/business/collaborate/

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

lets not forget the business version of skype is still a thing https://www.skype.com/en/business/collaborate/

isnt "skype for business" just lync with a different icon?

at least thats what it is on my work computer

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Beeftweeter posted:

which skype

skype for non-technical women and children

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Arcsech posted:

isnt "skype for business" just lync with a different icon?

at least thats what it is on my work computer

there's a consumer version of skype, a business version of skype, and then skype for business which used to be called lync.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Beeftweeter posted:

which skype

Facetime

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
strangely enough, I find Skype on windows to be the worst one, even managing to be worse than skype for android

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

there's a consumer version of skype, a business version of skype, and then skype for business which used to be called lync.

how very microsoft

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/29/skype_messages_workaround/

quote:

If you're using Skype on a Windows desktop and your messages are appearing out of order, there's a solution: downgrade to an earlier version.

You're not alone in seeing some newer chat messages appear above older ones, which makes following conversations a little tricky: people have been complaining about it over the Christmas break.

The trouble seems to have started after version 7.17.0.105 of Skype for Windows was released this month.

"Sorry to hear that some of you are still seeing their chat messages sorted incorrectly in the currently latest Skype version 7.17 for Windows desktop," Skype community manager Claudius Henrichs said just a few hours ago in the support forums.

"Our engineers have been working to create an updated Skype version to address this. This update is currently undergoing verification and quality tests before we can share it with you. Thanks for your patience."

While Microsofties rustle up that bug fix, people affected by the glitch are urged to downgrade to version 7.17.0.104. Alternatively, you can try using Skype in your browser.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

timestamp each message with utc, display in ascending order. how do you gently caress that up.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

timestamp each message with utc, display in ascending order. how do you gently caress that up.

Ask lowtax

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Windows itself doesn't do native UTC - it assumes firmware time is local.

In the space-year 2016. When it's old enough to run for the federal Senate.

... Well it's my biggest grievance with it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

ask Twitter, they're experts in finding innovative ways of loving up the ordering of a linear sequence of messages

pram
Jun 10, 2001

theultimo posted:

Ask lowtax

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

ask Twitter, they're experts in finding innovative ways of loving up the ordering of a linear sequence of messages

that's on purpose though

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
for that extra brand engagement and ad money

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

did anyone say get hype for skype yet

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
Skype on my iPhone got replaced by "skype for iPhone" but the update didn't work (?) and it just hung in an unfinished state with a default placeholder icon so lol

but also its skype... on my iPhone. I know it's iPhone skype because it's skype and its on my iPhone. why does MS need to push an update which changes it from "skype" to "skype for iPhone" and for that matter, why should I give a drat which device I use skype on, shouldn't it just be skype?

also the App Store has something called "Skype wifi" as distinct from "skype for iPhone", wtf is that supposed to even mean

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

skype wifi is some app that lets you locate wifi hotspots as though paid for wifi is still a thing outside of hotels and planes

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

what relation does Skype WiFi have to Microsoft WiFi?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

what relation does Skype WiFi have to Microsoft WiFi?

Same drat thing

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

whats the one that will share all your keys unless you rename the ssid to something obnoxious?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

whats the one that will share all your keys unless you rename the ssid to something obnoxious?
wifi sense

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

Do you know someone who runs apps that were clearly meant to be full screen (Photoshop, illustrator, Solidworks, etc)

neither Photoshop nor Illustrator was meant to be full-screen

they were proper multi-window Mac apps for a long time, until they let the "cross platform uber alles" people have their way with the UI

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

u r a dumb, ive been using macinteeshes a longass time (since before os x) and clicking on a background window has always brought only that window forward

no it didn't, the Mac always used to raise the whole app, from the advent of Multifinder

it only changed with OS X which raises only the activated window on click, not the whole application

it does raise the whole application when clicked in the dock though

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

eschaton posted:

neither Photoshop nor Illustrator was meant to be full-screen

they don't even have proper API full screen code, they still use what Adobe feels full screen on a Mac is like, using shoddy code that hasn't been updated in years. it's an absolute knob to use.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

in the past few days my PC has become extremely slow. i only use it for gaming and haven't installed anything else. to load a Star Wars: Battlefront game takes forever. like 5 minutes and i usually give up and quit the game and try again. same when a game ends, i have to wait ages for the stats to pop up.

and during the game, the frame rate appears fine according to shadowplay, but it's actually extremely choppy. like unplayable choppy. it runs at 30-60 fps or whatever for most of the time but every few seconds completely stalls to 0.

what i often do is just work on my mac, then tap the mouse button to wake up my computer, indenting to play a game. but in recent days tap the mouse and the computer makes this has drive clicking noise like crazy. like it's doing something really intensive but all i did was click the mouse and there's nothing on the PC but games and that's it.

so basically this OS is a piece of poo poo. even keeping it quarantined, it seems to gently caress up.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PleasureKevin posted:

in the past few days my PC has become extremely slow. i only use it for gaming and haven't installed anything else. to load a Star Wars: Battlefront game takes forever. like 5 minutes and i usually give up and quit the game and try again. same when a game ends, i have to wait ages for the stats to pop up.

and during the game, the frame rate appears fine according to shadowplay, but it's actually extremely choppy. like unplayable choppy. it runs at 30-60 fps or whatever for most of the time but every few seconds completely stalls to 0.

what i often do is just work on my mac, then tap the mouse button to wake up my computer, indenting to play a game. but in recent days tap the mouse and the computer makes this has drive clicking noise like crazy. like it's doing something really intensive but all i did was click the mouse and there's nothing on the PC but games and that's it.

so basically this OS is a piece of poo poo. even keeping it quarantined, it seems to gently caress up.
get an ssd

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

PleasureKevin posted:

your HDD is a POS, hth

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

got one on black friday and holy moley witcher 3 has instant load times

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Scott Forstall posted:

got one on black friday and holy moley witcher 3 has instant load times

how did you just recently get a ssd :confused: i thought you had some fairly late-model macbook?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i never noticed without checking with task man because i have an ssd, but win 10 definitely has some weird disk activity spikes for no apparent reason (probably downloading updates)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Phoenixan posted:

i never noticed without checking with task man because i have an ssd, but win 10 definitely has some weird disk activity spikes for no apparent reason (probably downloading updates)

thats microsoft collecting every single thing about you they can legally get away with

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Beeftweeter posted:

how did you just recently get a ssd :confused: i thought you had some fairly late-model macbook?

in my PC/box that launches Steam. the waifu uses the MacBook. I don't bring my work Mac home thankfully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i've thought about it. and while it's only 80 bucks it's 80 bucks spent on a computer i use for like a few hours a week mostly while mumbling "geez this game sucks balls"

• Locked thread