Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bobkatt013 posted:

I doubt very much they get merchandise money from the comic characters, just their movie counterparts. If they got all merchandise rights that would be crazy and a horrible contract.
The original Xmovie was kind of a gambit, and Marvel wasn't quite doing gangbusters at the time. I can see them offloading a bunch of risk through a bad contract like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

It can't be all of it, or there would be no X-Men merchandise ever.

Eh there's barely been anything since X3 came out, which was before the MCU started making a bazillion dollars a year. First Class and Days of Future Past were both very successful superhero movies with pretty much no merchandise to speak of.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's still X-Men t-shirts and other things like that, though mostly from 3rd parties.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Travis343 posted:

Eh there's barely been anything since X3 came out, which was before the MCU started making a bazillion dollars a year. First Class and Days of Future Past were both very successful superhero movies with pretty much no merchandise to speak of.

Yeah since marvel has to sign off on it. We know there is pettiness on both side, but you made it sound like its for all X-men related merch and that's not true.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah since marvel has to sign off on it. We know there is pettiness on both side, but you made it sound like its for all X-men related merch and that's not true.

While it still exists, now compared to MCU merch it's a drop in the bucket because Fox still gets paid despite not being film related.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that while Fox doesn't get everything from non-movie X-Men merch, they do get 40%.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FilthyImp posted:

The original Xmovie was kind of a gambit, and Marvel wasn't quite doing gangbusters at the time. I can see them offloading a bunch of risk through a bad contract like that.

Marvel was exploding at the time and they decided to take a very short sighted approach to fixing it. I guess it worked out in the end, but I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't have made more sense financially to seek a buyout then instead of climbing out of the pit only to let Disney buy them out anyway.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Marvel was exploding at the time and they decided to take a very short sighted approach to fixing it. I guess it worked out in the end, but I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't have made more sense financially to seek a buyout then instead of climbing out of the pit only to let Disney buy them out anyway.

I think that would have been entirely dependent on who bought them. Warner ' s ownership of DC hasn't really lead to a bunch of great comics.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well neither give much of a poo poo about the comic side so it is a wash on that front.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

They sold the rights in 94 and at that time they were doing lots of stupid poo poo

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Rhyno posted:

Correct, Fox can not just create a toy line without Marvel.

Seems like someone at Fox should have realised this was a poor deal for them also if it has just led to there being no merch and no money for either party.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There was merchandise early on. It's only later Marvel got petty.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

After all, it was X-Men movie merch that had everyone saying, "Wait, THIS is what Deadpool looks like?!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

There was merchandise early on. It's only later Marvel got petty.

It's really more of a Disney move, I feel.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ever since they realized that the Marvel brand itself had become valuable, they've been extra-stingy with associating it with any IPs they don't control "enough" of the rights/revenue for. If you're buying superhero shirts and action figures, then by god they want to be sure you're using that money for and ~*creating brand attachment with~* characters that aren't cash cows for someone else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It kicked up a bit recently, when they started pulling licenses. Before that while you still couldn't find X-Men or Fantastic Four stuff on Marvel's merchandise shop, you had other companies making licensed shirts, statues etc.

It seemed like only 2 or 3 companies got theirs pulled though. Sideshow just announced a Dark Phoenix, while one of the others had even that same character canceled. And they still released Emma Frost, a 90s Jean Grey and some other stuff over the last few months. There's the ArtFX X-Men line too.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Besides Cable and X-man, what other characters have a reverse monocle? I'm sure I've seen a few, but I can't think of any right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Technically those are the same guy.

Rachel Grey as the Phoenix, sometimes.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Longshot! He started it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Longshot! He started it.

So Shatterstar too!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Stryfe, but that's just Cable again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lurdiak posted:

Stryfe, but that's just Cable again.

Ultimate Cable! That's not Cable.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Fallen Rib
Just pull up any Liefeld created Marvel character (not named Deadpool but who knows, maybe his eye was glowing under the mask)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At least one guy in Bloodstrike or Brigade or BloodBlood has the stupid glowing eye as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well neither give much of a poo poo about the comic side so it is a wash on that front.

Wasn't New 52 rushed into production because corporate wasn't happy with the comic sales?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't New 52 rushed into production because corporate wasn't happy with the comic sales?

Essentially. Some books were thrown together literally overnight and given to creative teams that made no sense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That is the rumor but we can't say for sure. The Reboot was DC as gently caress tho so it probably would have been the same either way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

At least one guy in Bloodstrike or Brigade or BloodBlood has the stupid glowing eye as well.

I would totally read and book called BloodBlood.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Essentially. Some books were thrown together literally overnight and given to creative teams that made no sense.

Like giving Liefeld 3 separate ongoings over 2 years?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Like giving Liefeld 3 separate ongoings over 2 years?

You hit that nail on the head.

ANd then you have things like Snyder's Swamp Thing that had 3 three issues in the can and had to be pulled back and a bunch of things changed to make it N52.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah, I would not be even a little bit surprised to discover that Leifeld got his ongoings because some dude in a suit said "Hey, I've noticed that when this guy was on a book it sold, like, a bajillion copies, we should get him on board" and no one had the heart or balls to tell him "Yeah, but it's not 1996 anymore."

See also: why M. Night Shamayalan keeps getting huge budgets to work with despite the fact that the vast majority of his movies are not very good.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Skwirl posted:

I would totally read and book called BloodBlood.

You wanted blood?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Ah, Deathmate Red. The book that didn't single-handedly kill the '90s speculator market, but serves as a good headstone for it anyway.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Ah, Deathmate Red. The book that didn't single-handedly kill the '90s speculator market, but serves as a good headstone for it anyway.
Oh do tell... :jerky:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, it's like this as I understand it. It was a Valiant / Image crossover. Valiant could put out their half of it on time; Image could not. The Valiant and Image books at the time were at a high point of collector speculation; wealthy speculators would buy ten copies or whole cases. But Deathmate was more expensive due to its prestige format at the unheard-of-at-the-time price of $5 an issue, so the cost of investment was much higher. The Image books being late had the knock-on effect that some stores had paid large quantities of money for product that didn't arrive, and distributors at the time generally required a book to be more than six months late before providing any sort of refund on orders. So you had stores having invested large amounts of money they couldn't get back for half a year, if at all. This was not unique to Deathmate, but was a general issue with Image books selling wildly but running so late that comic shops were effectively running a debt to stock their books - but the books were too "hot" to just ignore. In any case, the problem is that the late books basically wrecked confidence in the crossover, to the point where the sales for the last issue were only about a third of those of the initial issues. Which left those who invested the early issues high and dry, because they had about two to three times of supply than the actual demand for the books....

And that's without embarrassing moments like Bob Layton of Valiant literally going over to Rob Liefeld's house to perform a sit-in to get him to finish his art pages. :effort: :argh:

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I have fond memories of throwing that book in the trash with a lot of other Image books last summer.

The holofoil will still be there millennia from now.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
deathmate is such a terrible title for an even shittier premise, the gently caress was anyone thinking with that poo poo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Acne Rain posted:

deathmate is such a terrible title for an even shittier premise, the gently caress was anyone thinking with that poo poo

Money.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Acne Rain posted:

It's because the story was two cosmic characters (Image's Void and Valiant's Solar) meeting between dimensions and mating, thus causing the merger and eventual death of their universes.

Plus, it was the '90s, so you had to combine words to make new words otherwise it wasn't cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dario the Wop posted:

It's because the story was two cosmic characters (Image's Void and Valiant's Solar) meeting between dimensions and mating, thus causing the merger and eventual death of their universes.

Plus, it was the '90s, so you had to combine words to make new words otherwise it wasn't cool.

I never tire of the fact that they are banging on that cover.