Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Why didn't one of the TIE Fighters that was blowing up the space bar lob a few torpedoes into the Millenium Falcon while they were at it? I mean, they were supposedly looking for it and it was sitting right there in the forest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

starkebn posted:

Why didn't one of the TIE Fighters that was blowing up the space bar lob a few torpedoes into the Millenium Falcon while they were at it? I mean, they were supposedly looking for it and it was sitting right there in the forest?

They probably took one look at it and figured it had already been blown up.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've seen some posts that say KotOR is still cannon or wasn't explicitly invalidated or something. What's that about?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've seen some posts that say KotOR is still cannon or wasn't explicitly invalidated or something. What's that about?

The Old Republic Era like 4000 years before the PT. And Some of the planets they reference in that reference book are important planets in TOR era. I remember the Dev team of TOR saying that the movie team had to OK the trailer that they released for their most recent expansion.

It's not "canon", but it doesn't really have an effect on poo poo 4000 years later. So believe what you want.

Who the gently caress cares about poo poo being Canon or not. Just tell good stories.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

starkebn posted:

The Millenium Falcon isn't a one of a kind ship (visually). It's a heavily modified version of a certain type of ship, making it hard to distinguish from another other corellian transport of the same type when just merely doing flybys. You'll probably need to read it's transponder signature, or whatever they use to identify ships in the Star Wars universe, to really know what ship you're dealing with.

The fact that they were dealing with the Millenium Falcon probably came to light during the pursuit when the Tie Fighters locked into their target or something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Batham posted:

The Millenium Falcon isn't a one of a kind ship (visually). It's a heavily modified version of a certain type of ship, making it hard to distinguish from another other corellian transport of the same type when just merely doing flybys. You'll probably need to read it's transponder signature, or whatever they use to identify ships in the Star Wars universe, to really know what ship you're dealing with.

The fact that they were dealing with the Millenium Falcon probably came to light during the pursuit when the Tie Fighters locked into their target or something.

It wasn't until they turned on the Ship that they were able to track the signal. It's why Han was able to find them so fast.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

davecrazy posted:

He went Columbine on the Jedi training academy, killed his father, ordered the mass murder of innocent Jakku villagers and that's just the stuff we saw on film. Guy is a literal space nazi yet somehow he's redeemable cause Star Wars.

Sand people aren't real people.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

starkebn posted:

I don't think that would of served much purpose to the movie

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Dexo posted:

The Old Republic Era like 4000 years before the PT. And Some of the planets they reference in that reference book are important planets in TOR era. I remember the Dev team of TOR saying that the movie team had to OK the trailer that they released for their most recent expansion.

It's not "canon", but it doesn't really have an effect on poo poo 4000 years later. So believe what you want.

Who the gently caress cares about poo poo being Canon or not. Just tell good stories.

It matters in a way because I usually read about KotOR being cannon/non-cannon wrt to Revan.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
KOTOR isn't canon, they've simply canonized some planets from it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It's not canon, unless they decide to make it canon if Revan or whoever shows up even then they will change what they see fit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gorelab posted:

Look everyone just has an agreement to just ignore all this Jedi/Sith poo poo and roll with it. I must say though it's still my headcannon that part of the whole reason Jedi tend to go so nutso so quickly is that the whole Jedi thing tends to teach them to suppress their emotions and leaves them with the emotional maturity of a 5 year old.

greatn posted:

It seemed to work for a thousand years pretty good until Anakin. Most of the Jedi counsel seemed pretty emotionally mature. Even one of Yoda's guys who turned against the Jedi was a more nuanced antagonist who wasn't just evil but rather had specific political goals.

You're both right. It worked for 1000 years, but mostly because the Jedi stole the children away at a very young age and indoctrinated them then. Anakin's 9, which is apparently far too old for those tricks to work, so his fear and anger are not dealt with.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

computer parts posted:

You're both right. It worked for 1000 years, but mostly because the Jedi stole the children away at a very young age and indoctrinated them then. Anakin's 9, which is apparently far too old for those tricks to work, so his fear and anger are not dealt with.

On the other hand Rey is able to use the force without any training whatsoever, simply because she knows about it. So why didn't anyone crop up in those 1000 years who showed some force mastery self teach or otherwise be force adepts outside of the order? The galaxy's a big place.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

On the other hand Rey is able to use the force without any training whatsoever, simply because she knows about it. So why didn't anyone crop up in those 1000 years who showed some force mastery self teach or otherwise be force adepts outside of the order? The galaxy's a big place.

I'm gonna assume that's where a loooooot of both Sith and "Sith" came from.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Demiurge4 posted:

"Super-power" wise, the only real Force ability which would be apparent would be the persuasion she did. And even then it took multiple attempts, and only came after she herself was exposed to mind-manipulation. Otherwise most people might not even think it was a thing unless it was explained to them as something they really could do.

Edit: As a general FYI, Pablo Hidalgo has confirmed the WGA script for TFA floating around is real, and that the island planet at the end is indeed called Ahch-to.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/682745067392471040
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-ending/

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 1, 2016

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hmm yes, let's take our break out international star and NOT have her be in the sequel. Brilliant!

Not missing from the film, but more so from Poe/Finn's story-arcs.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

davecrazy posted:

He went Columbine on the Jedi training academy, killed his father, ordered the mass murder of innocent Jakku villagers and that's just the stuff we saw on film. Guy is a literal space nazi yet somehow he's redeemable cause Star Wars.

This is the exact logic that Luke explicitly refutes in VI. Part of the point is that there is no "ledger." You're as good or bad in the moment as you are in that moment. There are only right and wrong decisions. Anything outside that (the past, the future) is a fantasy.

To break it down to the point of almost-useless-simplicity:

OT: good vs evil
PT: good becomes evil
ST: evil becomes good (probably)

crowoutofcontext posted:

Not missing from the film, but more so from Poe/Finn's story-arcs.

Yeah this seems pretty obvious. Rey is training with Luke, Poe/Finn are on their own separate mission, Ben is searching for Rey. They'll all meet up in act III.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Prolonged Priapism posted:

=

To break it down to the point of almost-useless-simplicity:

OT: good vs evil
PT: good becomes evil
ST: evil becomes good (probably)

Are you being purposely oblivious to Vader's redemption in RotJ? There's no way in hell this becomes a Kylo Ren redemption story when they used the first movie to make you hate him and see how nuts he is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dexo posted:

It's not canon, unless they decide to make it canon if Revan or whoever shows up even then they will change what they see fit.

Revan was going to show up in the clone wars. They even had a model for him. But they in the end decided not to have show up due to it raising too many questions about how the force works.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

Hmm. The first order does this with stormtroopers, interesting parallel.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Revan was going to show up in the clone wars. They even had a model for him. But they in the end decided not to have show up due to it raising too many questions about how the force works.

Kylo Ren's outfit seems like a deliberate callback to Revan's getup. I doubt we'll see any mention of Revan directly, but it wouldn't surprise me if they draw on a few KOTOR era ideas since Luke and Rey are presumably going to be poking around ancient Jedi ruins.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Bottom Liner posted:

Are you being purposely oblivious to Vader's redemption in RotJ? There's no way in hell this becomes a Kylo Ren redemption story when they used the first movie to make you hate him and see how nuts he is.

No? Read my post before the one you quoted, it goes in to more detail. The part of my post you quoted but left out is about Vader, from Luke's perspective: It doesn't matter how many evil things Vader (or Ben) did. He could redeem himself at any time by choosing to do the right thing in the present moment. The same is true of us, too.

Vader's (and Ben's, more explicitly) self hatred and guilt over the things they've done is what keeps them (and us) on the "dark path" - doing the wrong thing in the moment because their identities are wrapped up in the past. Vader's last minute redemption is when he forgets the past and just does the right thing. Ben's redemption (I think) will take place over episodes VIII and IX. The turning point will probably be him sparing Rey in their rematch in VIII.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Why do people think everyone in Star Wars knows Ben Solo is Kylo Ren but apparently ignore the fact that in the original trilogy only four people know that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker?

Yeah, but they didn't have the internet back when Anakin was young.

starkebn posted:

It was covered in tarps and hadn't been flown in a very long time so there was poo poo all around it. To a TIE pilot it probably looked like a tent.

I thought the Quad Jumper they were running to looked familiar.

Early Millennium Falcon concept:

Quad Jumper:

Add 7 more engines and maybe...

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Early Millennium Falcon concept:

um

(sorry, lovely source, but you get the point)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zeris posted:

um

(sorry, lovely source, but you get the point)

I was going to say, that early Falcon concept ended up being the Tantive IV.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

It was covered in tarps and hadn't been flown in a very long time so there was poo poo all around it. To a TIE pilot it probably looked like a tent.

But I'm talking about later at Maz's place, even Kylo Ren flew down past it.

hemale in pain posted:

I don't think that would of served much purpose to the movie

Only argument I will accept, but it's just dumb. The bad guys are always extremely dumb and have no military smarts.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
e: Talking about a completely different thing!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The landscape shot really, reeeeeally emphasized that they were ditching the Falcon far, far away from the bar.

Clownwitch McSpylady specifically called in the droid's location as the bar, so they probably weren't too worried about blowing up the abandoned Space RV sitting in the woods a mile away.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

If you think a mile, or 10 miles is a long way to a TIE or a space ship coming in from orbit...

Whatever, it was probably under some foliage and the electronics were turned off because Han knows to be careful

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

starkebn posted:

If you think a mile, or 10 miles is a long way to a TIE or a space ship coming in from orbit...

Whatever, it was probably under some foliage and the electronics were turned off because Han knows to be careful

It's not far at all, but why would they divert from the mission (obtain or destroy the droid in Maz Kanata's bar) to blow up ships a mile away?

And yeah also they did park it under foliage. The same scene shows it under tree cover and Han tells Chewbacca to sweep the ship for any kind of tracker on it.

The dismissive "whatever" you're talking about is an actual scene from the movie, haha. Only seen it once and trying your hardest to find plot holes?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Canemacar posted:

Kylo Ren's outfit seems like a deliberate callback to Revan's getup. I doubt we'll see any mention of Revan directly, but it wouldn't surprise me if they draw on a few KOTOR era ideas since Luke and Rey are presumably going to be poking around ancient Jedi ruins.

I think they refer to Kylo Ren's lightsaber being based on an ancient design used by 'The Scourge of Malachor' in the Visual Dictionary, for one thing.

I would be 100% OK if they rereleased KOTOR with new graphics but gave everybody Lightclaymores.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Not sure if next film speculation is ok in here, but Episode 8 will be filming in Iceland apparently.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There's very little from KOTOR that would be seen as good today. There's a Mass Effect style sliding morality scale, and the combat is your D&D 3rd edition style of pseudo turn based RPG.

About the only redeeming thing is that it's not explicitly set on places from elsewhere in the series, but even then they go to Kashyyk and Tatooine.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think they refer to Kylo Ren's lightsaber being based on an ancient design used by 'The Scourge of Malachor' in the Visual Dictionary, for one thing.

I would be 100% OK if they rereleased KOTOR with new graphics but gave everybody Lightclaymores.

Ha ha. So he's literally cosplaying as Reven.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Acaila posted:

Not sure if next film speculation is ok in here, but Episode 8 will be filming in Iceland apparently.

Some of episode 7 filmed in Iceland according to the credits

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Canemacar posted:

Ha ha. So he's literally cosplaying as Reven.

I'm kind of wondering i they're actually supposed to be 'the Knights of Re(va)n' based off fragmentary millennia-old myths & legends, just that Ben naturally latched onto Grandpa Vader as his Dark Side Spirit Animal.

But it's probably wishful thinking, just like I'm kind of hoping if Rey's a Skywalker her mum will turn out to be Mara Jade. I'm the EU-loving trash, it's me. :smith:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The new Chewbacca comic reveals that Chewie did get a medal, but it was after the ceremony. It's funny because it kinda reminds me of Hitler shaking hands with Jesse Owens before they left the stadium, and the medal ceremony being inspired by Triumph of The Will.

Chewie then gives the medal away to a little girl he was adventuring with because wearing medals is against his culture or something.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The dismissive "whatever" you're talking about is an actual scene from the movie, haha. Only seen it once and trying your hardest to find plot holes?

Back off the kool-aid buddy. The scary bad men just seemed to act so stupidly during the film I want to find justifications to find them scary other than they're literally Nazis.

starkebn fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 2, 2016

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

computer parts posted:

There's very little from KOTOR that would be seen as good today. There's a Mass Effect style sliding morality scale, and the combat is your D&D 3rd edition style of pseudo turn based RPG.

About the only redeeming thing is that it's not explicitly set on places from elsewhere in the series, but even then they go to Kashyyk and Tatooine.

They made a couple more games after the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bad Moon posted:

They made a couple more games after the first one.

The second one has the same combat issues, even if the morality mechanics are marginally improved.

Never really played the MMO but it again sounded like a "story, not mechanics" game.

• Locked thread