Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
So I had no idea the grouping system in this game was so mindnumbingly stupid. Given that there is in-game coop, I simply do not understand the reasoning behind the tonnage restrictions in pug matches. It seems very arbitrary and discourages playing with friends in a team game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bait and Swatch posted:

So I had no idea the grouping system in this game was so mindnumbingly stupid. Given that there is in-game coop, I simply do not understand the reasoning behind the tonnage restrictions in pug matches. It seems very arbitrary and discourages playing with friends in a team game.

No tonnage restrictions = everyone drops in a 100 ton assault.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

DancingShade posted:

I understand some restrictions but they're way too tight as is.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

DancingShade posted:

Yeah, I get that. Being equal to the other side would be what makes sense though, and that is not what is currently in place. Tonnage restrictions make sense, but the current system of large teams having a tonnage limit that is not even close to equal with random pugs does not make sense when there is an in game voip.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

How are the teams matched up, I assumed it was equal tonnage +/- maybe 20 tons to cut down on wait time.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Axetrain posted:

How are the teams matched up, I assumed it was equal tonnage +/- maybe 20 tons to cut down on wait time.

I don't think there's a drat thing that goes into it outside of getting two teams worth of groups together. We've ended up in far too many games where we're running very light against teams with 4 assaults and other heavies to boot.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't think there's a drat thing that goes into it outside of getting two teams worth of groups together. We've ended up in far too many games where we're running very light against teams with 4 assaults and other heavies to boot.

Ding ding ding. Bums on seats is how the matchmaker works.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Oh Snapple! posted:

there simply isn't enough players in the group queue to make the matchmaker behave like the pubby queue where tonnage matching and tiers is a thing

they should at least increase a 12 man group to 700 tons, up from 600.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The looser limit on drop weight for smaller groups is because pugs cry if their choices are limited and cry because teamwork is OP. So take nothing but Arctic cheetahs and timberwolves.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

TheParadigm posted:

I have to really echo poptarts here. Spiders are just amazing to zip around in. I run mine with an active probe and a sensor range module. I'll have to try the medpulses out, I only had room for small lasers on mine.

But 12 jump jets and a 1200m detect range wins matches just by virtue of map control. You just pop into the air and you can see everything forever.

Notes on spiders:
The 5V can fit up to a 285 and 12 jump jets but only has 2 CT lasers
the 5k is probably the most frustrating for me. 6 jumpjets max isn't quite mobile enough for spidermanning about, but it was passable with an AC2 in the arm harassing things at range. I'll have to try it with an LPL.
The 5d is great. Ecm owns. up to 8 jets is enough to get anywhere you need to, but its locked to a 255 max. 3 laser hardpoints is nice, 2 of em are in one arm and I found it outstanding for hit and running due to actually having good traverse at speed.

Some combination of mediums, pulses, srm4a/srm4/srm6 to suit your fancy and wallet all around. I had good luck running them as light-eaters with the same BAP setup as my spider. I mulled around between xl280, xl255 and xl300 depending on the day. 280's just felt fast enough but 300's were zippy.
Haven't tried going faster because i'm too cheap to buy new engines. How do griffins fare zombieing it up?

The way you feel about the Spider is the way I feel about the Shadow Cat. I really think this whole "specializing in one 'mech" thing is a great way to play this game. It's also great for when you're new and don't have a poo poo ton of money to throw around everywhere and spend 30m or whatever on any 'mech in the game.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Bait and Swatch posted:

Yeah, I get that. Being equal to the other side would be what makes sense though, and that is not what is currently in place. Tonnage restrictions make sense, but the current system of large teams having a tonnage limit that is not even close to equal with random pugs does not make sense when there is an in game voip.

Counterpoint: Goons have fought and won against some really heavy drops running 3 ghost dads and packs of urbanmechs. Just because the pubbies are talking to eachother doesn't mean they are listening.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bait and Swatch posted:

About 6 months ago (?) Russ floated the idea of restricting group sizes to 4 in order to ease matchmaker load. There was a lot of pushback on that, so he backed off. However, if you'll notice, 4 members is pretty much the optimal tonnage for the current allocation system, and the more people you add, the worse it gets. Russ got his way, in a roundabout fashion. The current system is designed to punish teams for being larger than 4.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Oh hey smurfy isn't dead anymore

neat

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Alpine is being replaced by another map

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/218691-january-road-map/

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Hi everyone,

I'm very happy to discover that the shoot Robit game is no longer dead. I haven't played since the end of 2013, so I'm a touch out of date. I've applied to (re?) join Goonrathi per the OP. Could someone PM me the mumble info or approve my application for the forums please?

I apparently have a collection of bad hunchbacks and an Atlas DDC. I also have about 1300 funbux and 750K cbills. I'm guessing I should buy some mechbays while they're on sale? Anything else out there that's particularly fun or cheap at the moment? And are there any decent builds for the HBK 4P/4SP/4H?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

tarbrush posted:

Hi everyone,

I'm very happy to discover that the shoot Robit game is no longer dead. I haven't played since the end of 2013, so I'm a touch out of date. I've applied to (re?) join Goonrathi per the OP. Could someone PM me the mumble info or approve my application for the forums please?

I apparently have a collection of bad hunchbacks and an Atlas DDC. I also have about 1300 funbux and 750K cbills. I'm guessing I should buy some mechbays while they're on sale? Anything else out there that's particularly fun or cheap at the moment? And are there any decent builds for the HBK 4P/4SP/4H?

The hunchback quirks should inform you of what builds work on them. Don't use XLs. Buy tons of mechbays. Don't buy champion mechs, but maybe buy Hero mechs if you really like what they offer.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

the hero mechs were nice to buy when they were half off

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Omg gently caress the tutorial

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

tarbrush posted:

It's easy money. I hear Gary Oldman had been previously booked for VO work, so now it sounds more like pre-motorcycle-helmets Gary Busey.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

i

tarbrush posted:

it takes like five minutes

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I've forgiven it for giving me enough money to refit my Atlas in the OP build.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Oh thank loving god.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I'm new but Alpine seems like the most awful loving map

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Can anyone give me a build for the x-5

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'm new but Alpine seems like the most awful loving map

It's a decent capture point map, but for all other game modes it is completely lacking in interesting gameplay. If your team snipes, you take candy mountain and dominate. If you're fit for brawling, you have nothing to do all match long except soak damage. Tourmaline is a much, much better snipe friendly map.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

And already pubbies cry out in anger about this cool and good change:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/218706-petition-to-save-alpine/

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

quote:

· Breakable trees and roots in Viridian Bog – Due to the extra effort of our level artist we have made an initial round of improvements to Viridian Bog. These should be considered a first phase as we continue to improve the levels collision and play-ability.

:dance:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If I'm not using an XL in a Griffin (and non-clan XLs do not seem fun what with the dying if I lose one torso), what size engine should I use?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Alpine is bad because one team gets an enormous amphitheatre with cover in, and then the other team has to march into the amphitheatre up a ramp in near single file while every other mech on the team shoots at them. It is an objectively bad map.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ZenVulgarity posted:

Can anyone give me a build for the x-5

Something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=64&l=e430287e159a54c59a165f50a99a1bc382e9eab7

You can go up and down on SRM and engine sizes for more heat sinks/speed, but that's the general idea you're gonna want to run for the X5.

As tempting as it is, it's not worth dropping the MLs to gain free tonnage - the X5 can't stay in the pocket like an SPL Firestarter or ACH can, and has to do sort of "strafing runs" so it's nice to be able to reach out and touch the other team at range.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Drone_Fragger posted:

Alpine is bad because one team gets an enormous amphitheatre with cover in, and then the other team has to march into the amphitheatre up a ramp in near single file while every other mech on the team shoots at them. It is an objectively bad map.

This,

People bitch about Terra Therma but I think Alpine peaks has always been the worst map.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
People always bitch when its a map that shits on energy boats, but yeah alpine is seriously the worst map if you haven't packed anything with more than 500m range.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Drakes posted:

People always bitch when its a map that shits on energy boats, but yeah alpine is seriously the worst map if you haven't packed anything with more than 500m range.

Terra THerma's issue isn't the heat it's that 'lets go fight at the butthole' is boring gameplay.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Alpine was a huge part of why the game deteriorated into a long range meta when it debuted. If you've got a random map selection each drop and one map requires long range and the others aren't hurt by long range then GUESS WHAT loving HAPPENS? Good riddance alpine, when you are finally removed I will attend your funeral to dance and piss on your grave.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah, I kind of get irrationally angry when people think the problem with Terra Therma is the heat.

Hint: It's not.

The stupid middle area has some of the poorest gameplay design I've seen in recent memory of action games. If the middle area could be redesigned to not be "four narrow chokepoints into an arena with no cover", that'd be swell. Or block off the entrances for the first 5 minutes of the map (regardless of gametype), or something. It's painful to play and it's become a running joke for the late-night pub queue people to accumulate their vote multiplier and then drop it on Terra Therma at 0:01 to troll everybody.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 1, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

SoftNum posted:

Terra THerma's issue isn't the heat it's that 'lets go fight at the butthole' is boring gameplay.

If the map had no butthole, it'd be an OK map. Plenty of interesting places for clashes to occur...but no, it's all at the butthole.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

novaSphere posted:

Yeah, I kind of get irrationally angry when people think the problem with Terra Therma is the heat.

Hint: It's not.

The stupid middle area has some of the poorest gameplay design I've seen in recent memory of action games. If the middle area could be redesigned to not be "four narrow chokepoints into an arena with no cover", that'd be swell. Or block off the entrances for the first 5 minutes of the map (regardless of gametype), or something. It's painful to play and it's become a running joke for the late-night pub queue people to accumulate their vote multiplier and then drop it on Terra Therma at 0:01 to troll everybody.

Occasionally I am able to talk my team (yell at my team) to get them to go around pit of poo poo and stab the enemy in the rear end. Its a fun map when that happens. Otherwise its just 1 at a time up the hill to your doom.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I just want more maps with massive environmental heat. There are plenty of cold maps, but not that many hot ones. Most people are just awful at managing heat and laser boats abound. If you are even halfway competent at not alphaing every time your guns recycle you can do really well against shut down idiots.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Let's fight on a station built around a star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Call it "Star Mech Base"

• Locked thread