Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fumarole = Cinnamon roll??? Also its a very interesting design for a card IMHO and I like it.

Nissa Oath seems solid enough. Card draw in a color that doesnt often draw, and the enchantment effect is probably good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Oath of Nissa, even if it was only a green Ponder, is still pretty good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BJPaskoff posted:

Who cares though? The only argument for it I can form is to point and laugh at people who run off-color fetches so they can "thin" their 99-card deck.

That's not why you run them though. It makes sense to e.g. run Polluted Delta and Wooded Foothills in your BR deck as additional ways to fetch Badlands and Blood Crypt and Smoldering Marsh.

Just look at the mana bases of current Standard Abzan decks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I figured out a rule that will not only prevent people from playing off-color fetchlands, but also drastically cut down on shuffling.

Ban fetchlands. Ban the Onslaught/Khans ones, ban the Zendikar ones, ban the Mirage ones. Ban Panaramas, Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving WIlds just to send a message. Problem solved.

I could agree to this but for colour limiting, not for shuffling, which is one of the best parts of the game for me. The best effects, like a KotR search, a Rampant Growth, a Stoneforge search, or an EoT Entomb always end with a shuffle.

E: I don't suppose Oath of Nissa is playable in Tron, is it? Is there any case where it would be useful over Ancient Stirrings? Other than being a loving monster and jamming Nicol Bolas in your deck.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 1, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

bhsman posted:

Oath of Nissa, even if it was only a green Ponder, is still pretty good.

It'd be kind annoying if it ends up a staple 4x in most green decks (which I don't think is unlikely) almost solely for being a good cantrip, since that's usually a common effect.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

It'd be kind annoying if it ends up a staple 4x in most green decks (which I don't think is unlikely) almost solely for being a good cantrip, since that's usually a common effect.

It draws a card in green which almost never draws cards. In any 3 color deck with a planeswalker it smooths out your mana a little bit. It's gonna be a staple, and if there are any "enchantment matters" cards it gets even better.

E: Sigil is legal in standard for a bit so theres that

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 1, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want to throw Nicol Bolas in Tron now, help

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

It draws a card in green which almost never draws cards. In any 3 color deck with a planeswalker it smooths out your mana a little bit. It's gonna be a staple, and if there are any "enchantment matters" cards it gets even better.

Yeah.

What I'm saying is, you wouldn't want serum vision or something similar printed at rare, would you?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Except it doesn't let you draw enchantments.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rinkles posted:

Yeah, and Pyroclasm and Timely Reinforcements are usually uncommon. We're in a whole new world!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fumarole = Cinnamon roll??? Also its a very interesting design for a card IMHO and I like it.

Nissa Oath seems solid enough. Card draw in a color that doesnt often draw, and the enchantment effect is probably good.

It might as well be considered no card draw at all since the actual ability of the Enchantment is so meaningless. It mostly just replaces itself, but it costs so little its not a big deal.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

It might as well be considered no card draw at all since the actual ability of the Enchantment is so meaningless. It mostly just replaces itself, but it costs so little its not a big deal.

Preordain didn't do anything else once you'd drawn the card either. Not that this is preordain. Just saying that a 1 mana draw-filtering cantrip doesn't really have to do anything else to be good.

It's not like you have anything else to do on turn 1 these days. :rip: Elvish Mystic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's good just for mana fixing purposes when fetchs aren't in the format anymore.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean Domri rade looked at less cards, triggered off less cards, and was 2 more mana and saw tons of play.

Yeah I think the enchantment effect is kind of nothing special but it DOES smooth out your mana if you're running planeswalkers. It's not huge but its also not nothing.

E:

mcmagic posted:

It's good just for mana fixing purposes when fetchs aren't in the format anymore.

Yeah basically this

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Nissa's Oath is ridiculously good and going to be a four of in green standard decks as well as appearing in modern. Buy now before the stocks go up!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I mean Domri rade looked at less cards, triggered off less cards, and was 2 more mana and saw tons of play.

What a nonsense comparison

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Yeah I think the enchantment effect is kind of nothing special but it DOES smooth out your mana if you're running planeswalkers. It's not huge but its also not nothing.

E:

Yeah basically this

I don't understand your comparison at all. Its just filtering, not draw. Filtering is a very good effect a 1 CMC, its going to see play.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rinkles posted:

What a nonsense comparison

J:TMS is just a more expensive brainstorm

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Uh yeah I think I was unclear. I just meant that potentially not drawing a card doesnt make it bad, but you also werent saying that so just ignore me :)

E: I wasnt trying to compare it to the whole planeswalker, just the effect which is still good.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm thinking of building Modern Merfolk since I already have most of the money cards except cavern of souls and mutavaults. Is that deck still viable?

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-merfolk-22888#paper

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

Oath of Nissa is pretty good actually. I could easily see it as just a 4 of in a lot of green decks. It's probably the best cantrip in standard...

It's a better cantrip than blue has gotten in like, five years.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's just another card like Seek the Wilds or Ancient Stirrings — probably playable, but usually nothing amazing.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's a better cantrip than blue has gotten in like, five years.

Next you'll be telling me that green gets better counterspells than blue.

Aw poo poo, son.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lancelot posted:

It's just another card like Seek the Wilds or Ancient Stirrings — probably playable, but usually nothing amazing.

It's better than either of those. Seek the Wilds costs twice as much and Ancient Stirrings only works in a very specific type of deck. It's not an exciting card by any means given that "worse than Ponder but still playable" isn't exactly giving anyone a chub.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

"That's my win!"
-- llanowar expression meaning "It was probably a lousy spell in the first place."

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm thinking of building Modern Merfolk since I already have most of the money cards except cavern of souls and mutavaults. Is that deck still viable?

You can track the meta on that site too: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#online

Looks like Merfolk puts up 5-0s occasionally

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Sure, its viable and nothing from the deck is likely to ever get banned. But it has the same problem a lot of decks has, it s a fair, interactive deck in a format that rewards non-interactive and unfair decks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Are you very lucky? If yes, it's good. If no, I wouldn't.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The fact Oath of Nissa can hit a planeswalker and costs only 1 Green means it's way more playable than Seek the Wilds. It's a great turn 1-2 play in standard and it's not a bad late game play since it only costs 1. I'd rather it be uncommon but it's super playable and much better than the Oath of Jace.

It's also some unique design space for enchantment effects that normal wouldn't be worth a card. Getting a good sorcery effect that having a minor effect remain on the battlefield is a neat idea and I hope they play with it a bit more.

Also I'd love for the Oath of Chandra to be either be 3 damage or 3 to the face for 1 Red but that's not going to happen....

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's also some unique design space for enchantment effects that normal wouldn't be worth a card. Getting a good sorcery effect that having a minor effect remain on the battlefield is a neat idea and I hope they play with it a bit more.

Theros had a bit of that with auras

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
With 40 hits Oath would whiff like 1/27 games, I think that's fine.

Kind of wish the effect added a mana for each Walker, but as is it's a pretty unique ability.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I was not expecting 'a good one mana cantrip' to be a category of card in this set

TheKingofSprings posted:

With 40 hits Oath would whiff like 1/27 games, I think that's fine.

Abzan's usually got around 50 hits maindeck, so even if you were solely cutting creatures and planeswalkers for Oaths you'd have 46 and better odds than that

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 1, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I really hope black gets something in the Oath space.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That enchantment is probably going to be a 4-of in a lot of standard decks. As long as your deck has a reasonable amount of creatures/planeswalkers it's good just as a 1 mana filter. Maybe it could also play well with blink effects if they're in SoI.

I like extending one mana cantrips to other colours, blue can't just have a monopoly on every effect that put cards into your hand and this could pave the way for unbanning preordain at some point. Bolting on an irrelevant ability to make it a rare is annoying though.

The UR manland has a cool design but seems significantly overcosted.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

I really hope black gets something in the Oath space.

Sorry the black one is on the reserved list. :colbert:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

You're a real hero

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I don't really see the point of control finishers at Mythic. The way they design them now they're all interchangeable.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Do it.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Glidergun posted:

1UR or maybe just UR 1/4 with "2: Switch ~'s base power and toughness until end of turn."

called it

(or, well, pretty close)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My main question is whether Oath of Nissa could be good in modern. The power level seems fairly close to Serum Visions in creature heavy decks and it does help to cast LotV.

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't really see the point of control finishers at Mythic. The way they design them now they're all interchangeable.
I think Linvala asks some interesting questions about how often she'll trigger in your deck and the current metagame. I think it plays out pretty differently to the other options.

• Locked thread