Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Welcome to the Goon Ship, Underlurker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Welcome to the Goon Ship, Underlurker.

Is that droid some kind of space bidet?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I hit 65 halfway through Makeb and I have no loving idea how to advance anymore. I figured out that I can now buy expensive items with my normal crystals from the dealers and strip them of their mods, and I also figured out that glowing crystals sometimes come from heroic missions. How do I get a main-hand hilt that's above 190? They don't seem to be for sale. Dulfy's guide seems to be for players who were comfortable with the endgame before the 4.0 patch but this is the first MMO I've hit the level cap on. I'm mostly interested in PVE story stuff, at least on this character (if I were to play PVP or use the group I'd probably want to heal) but I like the idea of getting progressively more and more invincible, and presumably by the time I get to KotFE the enemies won't die in a hit anymore. Is there a baby's first MMO-endgame guide that's updated for 4.0?

edit: specifically I'm looking right now for some kinda hilt that does above 200 damage, as I miss my old lightsaber with the fancy handle and the shiny crystal, but I got a blue 200 lightsaber and only have a 190 ranked hilt from the level 60 crystal vendor.

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 31, 2015

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Digital Osmosis posted:

I hit 65 halfway through Makeb and I have no loving idea how to advance anymore. I figured out that I can now buy expensive items with my normal crystals from the dealers and strip them of their mods, and I also figured out that glowing crystals sometimes come from heroic missions. How do I get a main-hand hilt that's above 190? They don't seem to be for sale. Dulfy's guide seems to be for players who were comfortable with the endgame before the 4.0 patch but this is the first MMO I've hit the level cap on. I'm mostly interested in PVE story stuff, at least on this character (if I were to play PVP or use the group I'd probably want to heal) but I like the idea of getting progressively more and more invincible, and presumably by the time I get to KotFE the enemies won't die in a hit anymore. Is there a baby's first MMO-endgame guide that's updated for 4.0?

edit: specifically I'm looking right now for some kinda hilt that does above 200 damage, as I miss my old lightsaber with the fancy handle and the shiny crystal, but I got a blue 200 lightsaber and only have a 190 ranked hilt from the level 60 crystal vendor.

You can buy hilts and barrels and other bits to mod your saber from the GTN. You could also spend PVP comms to get a 204 mainhand that'll do you good for the rest of your PVE time - provided you don't want to HM raid. Doing Ops will get you better gear up to 224, the current highest rating.

You could also have someone craft you a non-modable saber in 216 or 220 version. Some are for sale on the GTN.

E: Also, you can buy 208, 216 and 220 hilts from the fleet's supply area with green/blue/purple comms.

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 31, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Well I wasn't gonna romance Iresso but Qyzen got us a nice Wookie pelt...

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Hulk Smash! posted:

You can buy hilts and barrels and other bits to mod your saber from the GTN. You could also spend PVP comms to get a 204 mainhand that'll do you good for the rest of your PVE time - provided you don't want to HM raid. Doing Ops will get you better gear up to 224, the current highest rating.

You could also have someone craft you a non-modable saber in 216 or 220 version. Some are for sale on the GTN.

E: Also, you can buy 208, 216 and 220 hilts from the fleet's supply area with green/blue/purple comms.

GTN doesn't have anything above I think 190, maybe 200. Do the same vendors who sell other endgame gear sell hilts? Did I just miss them somehow? I bought, I think, two pieces of 208 armor and a 208 lightsaber, but it was an offhand and it won't let me use the hilt for my primary weapon. I have a ton of green comms and two blue, but I'm pretty sure I understand how to get blue comms at least!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Digital Osmosis posted:

GTN doesn't have anything above I think 190, maybe 200. Do the same vendors who sell other endgame gear sell hilts? Did I just miss them somehow? I bought, I think, two pieces of 208 armor and a 208 lightsaber, but it was an offhand and it won't let me use the hilt for my primary weapon. I have a ton of green comms and two blue, but I'm pretty sure I understand how to get blue comms at least!

You have to raid for anything higher than 208, and 208 main hands rarely drop in tacticals and hard mode flashpoints.

The true question is - why do you want anything higher? Do you plan on raiding? Because if not, 190 is more than sufficient for everything else in the game.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Well the worst enemy in the game is accidentally triggered trash mobs and they die in less time if I do more damage. Plus bioware is all about the power fantasy, and even though I don't raid if there are numbers and they can be higher, they need to be higher. So I'm probably never going to see a 208 hilt if I stick to solo content, then?

Also I really liked the trooper story? Probably my second favorite non-force using class after IA. I might be a bit biased because of Jennifer Hale, but I dug it - three relatively strong mini-arcs. The assault on the super-weapon at the end of Act 2 and the assault on the fortress at the end of Act 3 were both fun and felt like I had a significant amount of input. Plus M1-4X is the single best companion. I thought the smuggler and bounty hunter stories both ran out of steam after the first act. The smuggler doesn't make any sense if you don't play as a ra-ra patriot... I suppose it works a bit if you play as consolidating power to be a ruthless crime-lord, but then none of the post-50 content works. BH is literally just "go hunt some bounties on five more planets" but I guess that's what it says on the tin.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

StashAugustine posted:

The sprinkler droids are a nice touch.

It's pretty much the gooniest thing I've seen in a while.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Digital Osmosis posted:

Well the worst enemy in the game is accidentally triggered trash mobs and they die in less time if I do more damage. Plus bioware is all about the power fantasy, and even though I don't raid if there are numbers and they can be higher, they need to be higher. So I'm probably never going to see a 208 hilt if I stick to solo content, then?

Also I really liked the trooper story? Probably my second favorite non-force using class after IA. I might be a bit biased because of Jennifer Hale, but I dug it - three relatively strong mini-arcs. The assault on the super-weapon at the end of Act 2 and the assault on the fortress at the end of Act 3 were both fun and felt like I had a significant amount of input. Plus M1-4X is the single best companion. I thought the smuggler and bounty hunter stories both ran out of steam after the first act. The smuggler doesn't make any sense if you don't play as a ra-ra patriot... I suppose it works a bit if you play as consolidating power to be a ruthless crime-lord, but then none of the post-50 content works. BH is literally just "go hunt some bounties on five more planets" but I guess that's what it says on the tin.

But remember, unless you're raiding, your stats will be synced down to whatever planet you're on. So a 190 hilt and a 220 hilt will be identical when you're doing dailies, for example.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Digital Osmosis posted:

Something like 3 PVP matches will get you enough comms for a 204 modable mainhand that's just fine for PVE.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Hulk Smash! posted:

Something like 3 PVP matches will get you enough comms for a 204 modable mainhand that's just fine for PVE.

And done. Thanks for the tips, guys!

Also the flagship is the best.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Digital Osmosis posted:

Do the same vendors who sell other endgame gear sell hilts? Did I just miss them somehow?

Commendation (crystal) vendors only sell high level offhands. High level mainhand weapons have always been Operation drops, or crafted by player crafters using rare materials that are also Operation drops.

The simplest path to a 220 mainhand is to buy it on the GTN. On Jedi Covenant a 220 hilt or barrel right now will cost you 3 million credits. A 216 hilt or barrel will run you 1.5-2 million credits. To find them quickly on the GTN, search for "43 hilt" or "43 barrel" for a 220, "42 hilt" or "42 barrel" for a 216.

The next simplest path is to get your hands on 2 Dark Matter Catalysts, which drop in Operations. Either run a couple of ops until you get a pair, or buy them on the GTN for 1.2-1.5 million apiece. Once you have two of them, many player crafters will take them in a straight trade for a 220 hilt or barrel.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Orgophlax posted:

Yikes, does the trooper story get better? Just got off Ord Mantell, and not only was the "twist" painfully obvious, but not giving your character an option to flip out on the green chick that shoots the one informant out of the blue is horrendous.

The best parts of the Trooper story are Jennifer Hale, the second companion you get, and there's a lot of options that let you punch people scattered throughout.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
That's two random disconnects in the last half hour. Anyone else experiencing issues?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

shadok posted:

The next simplest path is to get your hands on 2 Dark Matter Catalysts, which drop in Operations. Either run a couple of ops until you get a pair, or buy them on the GTN for 1.2-1.5 million apiece. Once you have two of them, many player crafters will take them in a straight trade for a 220 hilt or barrel.

Note, for anyone who needs a 220 hilt or barrel on JC I can do this for you. Don't go to a pubbie crafter.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Alter Ego posted:

That's two random disconnects in the last half hour. Anyone else experiencing issues?

I had this problem continuously until i setup a static IP address and forwarded certain ports on my router.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Concurred posted:

The best parts of the Trooper story are Jennifer Hale, the second companion you get, and there's a lot of options that let you punch people scattered throughout.

Punching the guy on Alderaan was waaaay too satisfying.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I always vote node guard and/or Tanks because good ones are few and far between. As a Healer myself I love me some Protection numbers something fierce.

pretend this was a timely response

what do those protection numbers do for you, baby

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Medullah posted:

Arsit, just a FYI that since tomorrow night is NYE I shan't be available for raiding. Thought we were moving to tonight but since hardly anyone is on...guess not. :D

This week was extraordinarily hectic and I didn't even realize that of course the holiday falling where it does is going to stop us from running tonight. For anyone else in the regular group reading this, I apologize for the very late notice, and we're not going to even try to get a group together tonight. We'll resume our regularly scheduled ops on Sunday. This week's highlight is Dread Fortress and we should be able to make a good amount of progress into that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Weird, my achievements aren't counting the Sith Warrior's story mission on Corellia.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also I'm almost done with the consular story, all I've got left is Bounty Hunter and Smuggler. Which one do people like more?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Play as the male trooper and you can almost literally play as Captain America if you go LS. (Male trooper VA also has voiced Cap)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

StashAugustine posted:

Also I'm almost done with the consular story, all I've got left is Bounty Hunter and Smuggler. Which one do people like more?

Of those two, smuggler.

Bryaugh
Mar 7, 2004

Been playing this again and was wondering something. Do certain companions still have bonuses to tradeskills or is it all just based on influence now?

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Its just based on influence now.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

Yikes, does the trooper story get better? Just got off Ord Mantell, and not only was the "twist" painfully obvious, but not giving your character an option to flip out on the green chick that shoots the one informant out of the blue is horrendous.
Haha :lol: no. If anything it peaks at the start and goes on a downhill slide from there. It's horrible, and not just in one of those "well it's a subjective thing, all stories are good if blah blah" ways, it's just flat out worse than any of the others with horrible characters, a rambling plot, and the last two chapters just degenerate into a wet fart of an anticlimax at the end. Basically every other Republic class does exactly what the Troop does and a whole bunch of other stuff too, with far more plot importance and relevance due to it. The only thing the story had going for it was one of the most fun companions in the game, but now every republic character in KotFE can acquire that one, so whatever.

Hell, even the animations are horrible. You'd think carrying around a big fuckoff gatling gun would be cool but you just do a bunch of different colored energy shots while bounty hunters meanwhile are flinging missiles everywhere and rocketing around and using flamethrowers... :geno: Both trooper variants are kinda fun to play I guess, but they're definitely the class to use a L60 token on. You really won't miss much.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Punching the guy on Alderaan was waaaay too satisfying.
Bounty Hunters get to punch multiple idiot nobles on Alderaan, so Troopers don't even win there! :v:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

I'd vote Smuggler.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

Smuggler and BH both have pretty entertaining stories through the prologue and chapter 1, but then they fall off. Between the two, smuggler is maybe slightly better.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The problem is doing what you aren't supposed to on Republic side is just kind of dull. The reactions of empire NPCs to a light-side Sith are a lot more entertaining than the reactions of 'pub NPCs to a dark-side Jedi.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Speaking of alignment is it still basically always choose the same attunement or you will lose access to gear? Or does it not matter anymore?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

None of the alignment-specific gear matters anymore

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Speaking of alignment is it still basically always choose the same attunement or you will lose access to gear? Or does it not matter anymore?

It's never mattered except a few crappy relics. And now there are far better relics that are not tied to alignment.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I think the sith/jedi lightsaber forge decorations are still alignment dependent along with some stronghold titles, but yeah, nothing amazing.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah when I went DS jedi knight I expected some hay to be made about it, instead you just get kind of scolded occasionally (sometimes by dudes who scold you regardless) and denied a meaningless title

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RentACop posted:

Yeah when I went DS jedi knight I expected some hay to be made about it, instead you just get kind of scolded occasionally (sometimes by dudes who scold you regardless) and denied a meaningless title

If they weren't ineffectual they wouldn't be Jedis/the Republic though

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

I think the sith/jedi lightsaber forge decorations are still alignment dependent along with some stronghold titles, but yeah, nothing amazing.

Oh yeah, there is that. Plus you get a legacy ability for going full dark/full light but that can just be bought with cartel coins.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So if you alts and want to PvP, I really recommend putting your PvP gear mods into legacy shells. Even though other toons don't benefit from the set bonus, it's nice having a set of full expertise armor they can use. If you have any of the devoted allies bind to legacy earpieces and implants they bolster nicely as well.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Just finished Kotor 2 again, on a star wars binge since the movie. Is the story picked up in swtor? I pretty much just want to play Kotor 3, I don't really care about the mmo side. Do I need to play the original swtor story or just the new expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

adamarama posted:

Just finished Kotor 2 again, on a star wars binge since the movie. Is the story picked up in swtor? I pretty much just want to play Kotor 3, I don't really care about the mmo side. Do I need to play the original swtor story or just the new expansion?

It's not a direct continuation but there are some few callbacks. Closest to KOTOR 3 would probably be playing either the Jedi Knight or Sith Warrior stories. Yes, start from level 1 as there's a lot of story content that's relevant to what you want there.

• Locked thread