Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

bows1 posted:

Does anyone else cry at every movie, when you are on an airplane?

Yeah I feel like I've heard a lot of podcasts and stuff about it. Here is a segment from This American Life on it: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/426/tough-room-2011?act=4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I feel like I've heard a lot of podcasts and stuff about it. Here is a segment from This American Life on it: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/426/tough-room-2011?act=4

Interesting, I'll check them out thanks!

Latest one was Life Itself, about Roger Ebert, although I feel like I would cry at that one anywhere.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

bows1 posted:

Nope, but I was pretty much hammered on a flight to Europe and the in-flight movie was Night at the Museum. I thought it was hilarious.

I saw it again sober and I don't think I laughed once.

I'm curious to what other films are more enjoyable while drunk.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Egbert Souse posted:

All

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Egbert Souse posted:

I saw it again sober and I don't think I laughed once.

Not to say Night at the Museum is good, but personally I almost never laugh if I'm watching a comedy alone, even if it's really funny.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Everything in life is better when you´re just a slightly bit drunk.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

Everything in life is better when you´re just a slightly bit drunk.

Slightly less than two drinks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

Slightly less than two drinks.

Are you referring to this?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VTSCppeFzX4

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Why yes I am.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

bows1 posted:

Yup. Last time I was tearing up for an insurance commercial :wtc:

I also cry at movies when I'm hungover. Maybe it's a blood sugar thing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So apparently not only was The Thing the first in a loose trilogy (John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy, it was followed by Prince of Darkness and Mouth of Madness) but the Breakfast Club was also the first in a loose trilogy of movies by the director. Or so I heard. I might hav details wrong, but the idea interests me.

What other "loose trilogies" are there, three movies that do not share plot arches or characters but themes and directors?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Acne Rain posted:

So apparently not only was The Thing the first in a loose trilogy (John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy, it was followed by Prince of Darkness and Mouth of Madness) but the Breakfast Club was also the first in a loose trilogy of movies by the director. Or so I heard. I might hav details wrong, but the idea interests me.

What other "loose trilogies" are there, three movies that do not share plot arches or characters but themes and directors?

Sion Sono's "Trilogy of Hate" (Love Exposure, Cold Fish, Guilty of Romance)
David Lynch's LA/Hollywood trilogy (Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, INLAND EMPIRE)
Robert Rossellini's War trilogy (Rome Open City, Paisan, Germany Year Zero)
Roman Polanski's Apartment trilogy (The Tenant, Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Not a trilogy, but War, Inc. is a loose sequel to Gross Pointe Blank.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
-- The Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, Oldboy, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance)

-- The Man With No Name Trilogy

-- Romero's Dead movies

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

-- The Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, Oldboy, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance)

-- The Man With No Name Trilogy

-- Romero's Dead movies

I would say those are more than loose trilogies. The man with no name trilogy may not be a textual narrative trilogy, but is basically an explicit trilogy in every other way.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Acne Rain posted:

The Cornetto trilogy comes to mind; they all carry a loose theme of letting go of one's childhood and having to grow up.

You can make an argument that Little Odessa / The Yards / We Own the Night by James Gray work as a trilogy.

Blockhead
Jun 6, 2003

turtle power

Acne Rain posted:

Iñarritu's Death Trilogy. Amores Perros, 21 Grams and Babel.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Snak posted:

I would say those are more than loose trilogies. The man with no name trilogy may not be a textual narrative trilogy, but is basically an explicit trilogy in every other way.

I assume you mean The Dollars trilogy. They reuse the same actors for different people so it is not exactly a normal trilogy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

I assume you mean The Dollars trilogy. They reuse the same actors for different people so it is not exactly a normal trilogy.

Yeah, I get that, maybe it's just that they are so culturally accepted as a trilogy. I was thinking a "loose trilogy" was looser than that, somehow. Obviously we aren't working with a strict definition here, so whatever. I just though "if it's currently talked about, packaged as, and marketed as a trilogy, it's not a loose trilogy".

"The Dollars Trilogy" is also commonly called "The Man With No Name Trilogy", and I used that name because it's the one used by the person I quoted. I kind of prefer it, since only two of the movies have the word "Dollars" in their titles.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Snak posted:

Yeah, I get that, maybe it's just that they are so culturally accepted as a trilogy. I was thinking a "loose trilogy" was looser than that, somehow. Obviously we aren't working with a strict definition here, so whatever. I just though "if it's currently talked about, packaged as, and marketed as a trilogy, it's not a loose trilogy".

"The Dollars Trilogy" is also commonly called "The Man With No Name Trilogy", and I used that name because it's the one used by the person I quoted. I kind of prefer it, since only two of the movies have the word "Dollars" in their titles.

That is fair enough! I have seen them a few times but not discussed them online so I didn't know the common parlance.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

That is fair enough! I have seen them a few times but not discussed them online so I didn't know the common parlance.

No it's okay, I was just clarifying. :)

(I could never yell at melancholy, possibly narcoleptic, Will Graham)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
There Will Be Blood, The Master, and Inherent Vice make up a great informal trilogy about paranoia and power or whatever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Acne Rain posted:

It's argued that Terry Gilliam has one- Time Bandits is about childhood, Brazil about adulthood, and Munchausen about old age.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's argued that Terry Gilliam has one- Time Bandits is about childhood, Brazil about adulthood, and Munchausen about old age.

That's pretty good.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I saw two roadshow-style screening this week -- Hateful Eight and 2001 -- both with overtures and intermissions. How do the general screenings and home releases usually work for roadshow movies? Like do they just cut out the overture and intermission and show the rest of the movie? In both movies the overtures and intermissions had a good role in the movies and it seems lame if they just dropped them for the DVD.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I can't really answer that question, but my parents VHS copy of Camelot ( the musical w/ Richard Harris) had the intermission intact. Since that's a film version of a musical play, it makes sense that they would do that though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
2001, Barry Lyndon, and Lawrence of Arabia all have their overtures and intermissions intact on home media, and the times I've seen 2001 and Lawrence in theater had them, but I'm not sure what'll happen to Hateful Eight in general release.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snak posted:

Why yes I am.

The best thing about it that bit is that it's basically true.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Magic Hate Ball posted:

2001, Barry Lyndon, and Lawrence of Arabia all have their overtures and intermissions intact on home media, and the times I've seen 2001 and Lawrence in theater had them, but I'm not sure what'll happen to Hateful Eight in general release.

The Hateful Eight Roadshow cut is a unique edit of the movie that will likely never have an official home release. The wide release version is an entirely different cut, beyond the wife release version not having the overture and intermission.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Oh of course it will have a home release

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FishBulb posted:

Oh of course it will have a home release

I dunno, Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair still hasn't happened.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I don't think it actually exists or if it does it's like Clown Cried hidden

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sleeveless posted:

I dunno, Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair still hasn't happened.

That was never a theatrical release, was it?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

computer parts posted:

That was never a theatrical release, was it?

I googled it and apparently it screened at Cannes once and supposedly occasionally at the theater that Taraninto owns from time to time since then but maybe like 5 times ever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There Will Be Blood, The Master, and Inherent Vice make up a great informal trilogy about paranoia and power or whatever.

Swap any one of those out with Parallax View and you have a better trilogy of paranoia and power.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bows1 posted:

i cry at every movie, period.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Does anyone remember the last wide theatrical release to feature an intermission? I swear I remember watching something in a theater in the mid 90s that had one, but can't for the life of me recall what it was.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Enos Cabell posted:

Does anyone remember the last wide theatrical release to feature an intermission? I swear I remember watching something in a theater in the mid 90s that had one, but can't for the life of me recall what it was.

Hamlet (1996) and Gettysburg (1993) both featured intermissions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

computer parts posted:

Hamlet (1996) and Gettysburg (1993) both featured intermissions.

Thank you! It was Gettysburg I was straining to remember. My friends at Hateful Eight roadshow thought I was insane.