Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You Europeans must be living in some post-apocalyptic, cast iron war-time economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Hopper posted:

Much appreciated, but yeah shipping is too expensive.
I have checked with local donation stores like Oxfam. No luck.
But turns out you get them on eBay for relatively cheap. I just lost an auction for a 4.7 liter (about 5 quart I guess) because I couldn't snipe as I was sitting in Swedish lessons. It would have been an old le creuset from the 70ies or older that went for 45 euros, my bid was 42 which I entered when it was at 16 initially. Seems they are actually cheap when people want to get rid of them. Who knew. Ebay is mostly poo poo these days.

45 euro is in no way cheap.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Crazyeyes posted:

45 euro is in no way cheap.

??

That's about 48 real Amurrican US dollars right now. That's pretty damned cheap for Le Creuset.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Phanatic posted:

??

That's about 48 real Amurrican US dollars right now. That's pretty damned cheap for Le Creuset.

I'm an idiot who doesn't know exchange rates. For some reason I thought 45 euro was like 80 usd.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

I'm an idiot who doesn't know exchange rates. For some reason I thought 45 euro was like 80 usd.

The good old days.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

One of my housemates just doesn't get the appeal of cast iron. "I can just use a nonstick skillet, its lighter and cheaper and it fits in the dishwasher. Seasoning is unsanitary and it comes off if you soak it."

Yesterday, he managed to melt, scrape off and burn the coating on a nonstick skillet. He made things stick to nonstick.

I do my own cooking (and dishes).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Missing Name posted:

Seasoning is unsanitary...

Any microbe that survives a 300°F+ iron hellscape deserves its chance to infect my innards.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

MrYenko posted:

Any microbe that survives a 300°F+ iron hellscape deserves its chance to infect my innards.

Who dares wins

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Missing Name posted:

One of my housemates just doesn't get the appeal of cast iron. "I can just use a nonstick skillet, its lighter and cheaper and it fits in the dishwasher. Seasoning is unsanitary and it comes off if you soak it."

Yesterday, he managed to melt, scrape off and burn the coating on a nonstick skillet. He made things stick to nonstick.

I do my own cooking (and dishes).

A cast iron skillet can also be used for cognitive reconditioning via thorough application to the back of your roommate's head.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well yeah, if you can't cook the tools seem unnecessary

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Revol posted:

I reseasoned my skillet today, but I don't think it came out. I first used vegetable oil, and it was spotty and sticky. I cleaned that off, and then retried using shortening. (350 degree oven for one hour, then let cool off inside oven.) It's not nearly as sticky, but it is still spotty.

I am expecting a smooth, solid gloss. Is this to be expected? Is this because I only did it once, and it'll even out after a repeat or two? Or am I just loving something up?

You probably used too much and didn't get an even layer on there. More layers won't help with the spottiness, it will only get worse as more uneven patches pile up around the pan. Your pic is how some of my pans used to look, I finally got tired of it and took the time to re-do them going by this post: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

The TLDR is strip the existing seasoning, rub the pan down with flaxseed oil, then wipe it all off (Even though you wiped it down there will be a thin enough layer left to form a good season) and bake for a while at over 500. It takes a long time between the heating and cooling cycle, but you want to do many layers to get a really good season on there, so just plan on doing it over a weekend or something.

It's a decent time investment, but once you do it right and have a good number of even layers it will last foreeever, through washes/soap/etc. Anything short of long acid simmers and you'll be totally fine.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 4, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
A really thorough seasoning is something you only have to do once, ever. After that, just maintain it and don't abuse it too much, and it'll be on there for the life of the pan. After I wash mine out (which I do while it's still hot), I use a paper towel to apply the tiniest coat of oil, then blast it on high on the stove until it starts smoking. Turn off the heat, then you're done.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
What are Griswolds worth again? Realistically, staring at 2 smaller ones for 30-35 dollars.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Crazyeyes posted:

A cast iron skillet can also be used for cognitive reconditioning via thorough application to the back of your roommate's head.

So turn the pan into a L.A.R.T.?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

galahan posted:

What are Griswolds worth again? Realistically, staring at 2 smaller ones for 30-35 dollars.
I dunno market price but depending on condition, where you are, etc, I'd say that 35 is a pretty nice price for the two. What size are we talking, 6"? 8"?

Also I ran across this show today, and now I really, really want one of these guys' cast irons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ChPbdD3zDk

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

coyo7e posted:

I dunno market price but depending on condition, where you are, etc, I'd say that 35 is a pretty nice price for the two. What size are we talking, 6"? 8"?
Yeah those sizes, but it was each 65 for both and I hardly use anything small. I'd heard as high as 130, I thought, in this thread for a lidded big'un.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

Also I ran across this show today, and now I really, really want one of these guys' cast irons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ChPbdD3zDk

It appears they only sell 9 inch skillets with the long handle, and their 12" skillet is more of a casserole

http://boroughfurnace.com/shop/

For $300 I think I'd rather get a Finex

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 6, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Alright. Lucky me.

:siren: 6.5 liter (6.8 quart) cast iron dutch oven oven, enameled (inside creme, outside red) 33x24 cm for 59.95 € :siren:
Tchibo Germany: http://www.tchibo.de/gusseisen-braeter-p400078876.html
Also available at Tchibo in Austria, Hungary, Poland, Switzerland, Turkey, Czech Republic and Slowakia. Prices may vary.

A few days after complaining about the prices of cast iron dutch ovens, local coffee chain and kitchen utensils/living accessoires store Tchibo has a cast iron dutch oven on offer in their monthly product portfolio.
It is their house branded TCM stuff, but that is usully OK quality. It was of course immediately sold out over the internet, they have nwo restocked.

I went to their shop this morning to look before I buy. And I bought. The thing is cast Iron, even enamel layers, got a bunch of these "drip pins" in the lid, that are supposed to make the condensed water drop back down onto the roast.
Looks like it is well worth €60. May not be your 30 year guarantee Le Creuset, but if it chips and you bin it after 5 years, at least it was only €60 not 200+.
Well suited for beginners like me.

Trip report will follow as soon as I decide what to cook this weekend.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

So, what ridiculously heavy gifts did everyone else get for Christmas?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I got this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00063RXO2/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_12?colid=2MAXQYCHAJPM5&coliid=I89LECLNCAJKW

And this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00063RWWA/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_14?colid=2MAXQYCHAJPM5&coliid=I2NJMJOCNMER0M&vs=1

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00063RWYI/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1451626885&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=lodge+dutch+oven&th=0

I'm going to make a roast chicken

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I got my grandmother's 10qt enamel dutch oven. No idea what to do with it that I can't do with my 4qt.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

QuarkMartial posted:

I got my grandmother's 10qt enamel dutch oven. No idea what to do with it that I can't do with my 4qt.

The same things but for bigger parties.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is there any magic trick to getting the outside of a cast iron not all gross and sticky after it begins to get that tacky, tarry buildup on the outside? The inside of mine are all beautiful (I'm especially happy with the 6" "egg pan" which is only used for eggs of course), but the 6" one came from a roommate who left it behind, and it's all gunky on the outside and gross to handle.

Nettle Soup posted:

So, what ridiculously heavy gifts did everyone else get for Christmas?
My mom showed me the enameled la Creuset she'd been given from someone and then informed me that it's mine "if it's too heavy for her to get out of the oven," (which is pretty much gauranteed, since she cooks huge roasts and poo poo all the time and she's pushing 70). I ended up with pretty much all of her cast iron over the years as she's been finding herself unable to lift the 12" then the 10" etc easily enough when cooking.

My brother did get the only piece I actually coveted - an old 12" wood-handled flat skillet of a brand I don't know offahnd, it had a native american head as the logo on the bottom, iirc? My grandma supposedly stole that skillet from a mean neighbor lady during the depression when she was a little girl, and my brother never uses it and doesn't know how to take care of it. I learned to make tortillas on that skillet. :(

edit: apparently that skillet was a Wapak brand, an Ohio company shuttered in 1926, for anyone who is curious.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 1, 2016

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

FetusSlapper posted:

The same things but for bigger parties.

Sadly, I was mistaken. It's a 4qt Kirby and Allen that manages to be bigger than my 4qt Lodge. Ah well, it's bright red and was Granny's so that's all that matters :v:

I plan to use it to cook a batch of collard greens today.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

blarzgh posted:

You Europeans must be living in some post-apocalyptic, cast iron war-time economy.

I'm guessing iron isn't as easy to come by there, and there aren't as many cookware companies doing them, but I don't actually know. Kind of like how when my fashion-conscious UK friends visit, they can easily spend over $1000 per visit on clothing because apparently cotton clothing is effectively non-existent there. It's also why my dad used to buy up stacks of Levi's jeans and sell them for extra spending cash when he had to go on business trips to Japan/Korea.

Anyhow, after over 10 years of using cast iron in my kitchen jobs, I finally got big guy and a small guy for Christmas, and have been using them constantly over the past week+. I've even been baking for once in my life due to how non-stick they are.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 1, 2016

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

coyo7e posted:

My brother did get the only piece I actually coveted - an old 12" wood-handled flat skillet of a brand I don't know offahnd, it had a native american head as the logo on the bottom, iirc? My grandma supposedly stole that skillet from a mean neighbor lady during the depression when she was a little girl, and my brother never uses it and doesn't know how to take care of it. I learned to make tortillas on that skillet. :(

Sad, but at least there's not much he can do to seriously damage it! One day you can claim it back!

I got a Lodge griddle for Christmas, so far I've used it pretty much every day, as a baking tray. :v:

Oh man, you can get actual cast iron baking trays... I'm very tempted.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Uh oh! I got a 5qt lodge dutch oven as a Christmas gift, and surprise! the seasoning is poo poo and the pan is already rusting.

I've stripped a pan before using the clean cycle on an oven, however I moved somewhere that doesn't have a clean cycle - my oven only gets up to 500. How can I strip off the 'seasoning' it has now so I can reapply, without using a clean setting on an oven?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Massasoit posted:

Uh oh! I got a 5qt lodge dutch oven as a Christmas gift, and surprise! the seasoning is poo poo and the pan is already rusting.

I've stripped a pan before using the clean cycle on an oven, however I moved somewhere that doesn't have a clean cycle - my oven only gets up to 500. How can I strip off the 'seasoning' it has now so I can reapply, without using a clean setting on an oven?

Soak it in lye or oven cleaner overnight, then give it a rinse in a well ventilated area. From there, reseason as normal.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I have never cleaned my cast irons before and I've become afraid of doing so.

Please help me overcome my fear and clean my irons. :(

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I have never cleaned my cast irons before and I've become afraid of doing so.

Please help me overcome my fear and clean my irons. :(

Does your definition of cleaning involve soaking it in water for 12 hours? No? good.

clean your pans you baby.

a quick wash with soap and a scrub brush is fine, just make sure it's fully dry; i usually stick mine on the heat to drive off all traces of moisture, then a gentle wipedown with oil.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nettle Soup posted:

Sad, but at least there's not much he can do to seriously damage it! One day you can claim it back!

I got a Lodge griddle for Christmas, so far I've used it pretty much every day, as a baking tray. :v:

Oh man, you can get actual cast iron baking trays... I'm very tempted.
He's a big dumb drunk oaf and it's not unlikely he'll leave it in the oven and turn on the cleaning cycle, or on his grill overnight and then turn the grill on the next day and burn the handle to dust.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
Does anyone else have a thick, cast iron wok? I bought a big (maybe 6 quart) cast wok years ago, and I love it. My gas rangetop does not really have the oomph to use a traditional stamped sheet metal wok and get that wok sear. I can get the cast iron one smoking hot and have it retain enough heat to truly stir-fry instead of steam our meals. After you have your skillet and dutch oven a wok is a fantastic next piece to buy.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Evidently Lodge has a new line of rust-resistant, dishwasher-safe cast iron only at Macy's:

Mr. Wookums posted:

Lodge has released a new line of cast iron products that are currently only available at Macy's for a year. I guess they cast in an oxygen deprived environment (or maybe pure nitrogen?) which they mention will prevent the thing from rusting and advertises that you can dishwash it. I picked up the 2 burner griddle and it has very large ribbing on the side that takes the burner. Maybe that'll help with the dispersion or is that like their older casts? I can put up pictures at home, it is light for a griddle.

I'd like to pick one up and see if it really is dishwasher safe. I don't see that much benefit for a normal skillet, but it might be nice to get a grill pan. They're a huge pain to clean normally, but if you can just toss it in the dishwasher...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Crosspostin

Mr. Wookums posted:

So the new lodge griddle. It's slanted which explains the ribbing. Only realized that after looking at the pics.

These are meant to reach out the millennials like myself, from their marketing.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
So where's the best place to get food grade linseed oil for seasoning your pan? Amazon doesn't have much in the way of selection (This is the only one I found that isn't wood stain). Is there anywhere online I can get a container larger than 250ml? Otherwise I'm just going to stick with Canola to wipe my pan down after cooking.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 30, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Search for flaxseed oil instead, it comes from the same plant, is more appropriate for seasoning and it's easy to find at Whole Foods in refrigerated supplements

It's hard to find online because it needs to be refrigerated

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 30, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

efb

flax is good too, but you'll probably find them in the foo-foo italian section where the balsamic is at as well (referencing Giant eagle). Other than the initial seasoning, the type of oil doesn't really matter and imo the initial is only important to give you marginally more leeway to not gently caress it up in the first week.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, having used vegetable oil and flaxseed, I haven't noticed much difference and I think the real magic is just seasoning constantly over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Alright thanks, I'll look for it next time I feel like spending too much on groceries and go to Whole Foods