Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Robert Denby posted:

Red Letter Media reads from Wookiepedia about Darth Vader's suit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo
Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center

"The monitoring panel beeped frequently, and for no reason."

I knew he wasn't gonna make it much further past that without laughing :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Beefstew posted:

Yeah, but Culkin at least put out a video in the past year :v:

Congrats to Spoony for going a whole year with no content aside from tweets about how much he hates his followers!
That and how he would not watch Mad Max Fury Road for reasons

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

Rich and I let out the same cackle of delight at imagining the mighty sith lord Vader sucking a straw of 'repmed biopaste' for his food

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Does Spoony even stream much? There are only a few prerecorded streams on his site. I'd have them on as background noise if he posted them, he's still fairly funny unscripted (talking I mean, not his endless tweets about wrestling and comic book panels).

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

achillesforever6 posted:

That and how he would not watch Mad Max Fury Road for reasons

He might actually enjoy something and god forbid that happen.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Robert Denby posted:

Two words budgetary restraints

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 2, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Thanks to Red Letter Media, I've come to view Star Wars the way it should be: as an absurdist dark comedy. Watching Mike and Rich go giddy over how much an rear end in a top hat troll Paplatine is (in canon, no less) is the best :allears:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

OldTennisCourt posted:

He might actually enjoy something and god forbid that happen.

The thing about the NC Fury Road review is that it's literally 85% skits and maybe 15% review at best. It's probably one of his most ego stroking pieces of bullshit ever.

Edit: Er. Misread what I quoted to but my overall point about Doug stands though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

Thanks to Red Letter Media, I've come to view Star Wars the way it should be: as an absurdist dark comedy. Watching Mike and Rich go giddy over how much an rear end in a top hat troll Paplatine is (in canon, no less) is the best :allears:

To be just a little fair to the prequel trilogy, the movie plots were utter crap but the way Palpatine got to Emperor was actually pretty drat good. Whichever way the Separatist war had gone, he'd have been sitting at the top of the pile once the dust cleared. All he had to do was sit and wait it all out while millions died on a daily basis :munch:.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Would be a tiny bit better if Palpatine didn't make plans specifically to ruin said plans.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The moral of the Prequels is that if you decide to vote for George W. Bush a second time, you are literally Jar-Jar Binks.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Tae posted:

Would be a tiny bit better if Palpatine didn't make plans specifically to ruin said plans.

It would've been a lot better if he could think up a better disguise than a blue tint and a cloak, in order to carry out his superb game of three dimensional chess.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Baka-nin posted:

It would've been a lot better if he could think up a better disguise than a blue tint and a cloak, in order to carry out his superb game of three dimensional chess.

Now, see, this would have been a perfect place to utilize both "Monster Mash" Darth Sidious and regular human being Palpatine in tandem to throw people off. Particularly people who haven't seen the original trilogy. Have frog-voiced, monster-faced Sidious show up every time he's needed on the Sith and Separatist side(s) so it looks like he's a completely different character from genial old man Palpatine, then when the time finally comes in Episode III, have him drop the mask and reveal that oh poo poo he was Monster Mash the whole time and genial old man Palpatine was actually the put-on rather than the other way around like it felt in the films.

Like, that scene where Anakin pledges his loyalty to the Graveyard Smash would have been a lot more powerful if you saw Palpy's hosed up Return of the Jedi face for like a minute or so and then he Force Magics his face back to Ian McDiarmid when all the excitement's over just to let you know how hosed you really are when you're trying to play against this rear end in a top hat.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 2, 2016

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Augh just finished watching Kyle's top films of 2015 and I am super frustrated because I wanna see a bunch of 'em but I live in a cultural wasteland.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Robert Denby posted:

To be honest, I am genuinely surprised that Vader just didn't kill himself 6 months into having this suit.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be just a little fair to the prequel trilogy, the movie plots were utter crap but the way Palpatine got to Emperor was actually pretty drat good. Whichever way the Separatist war had gone, he'd have been sitting at the top of the pile once the dust cleared. All he had to do was sit and wait it all out while millions died on a daily basis :munch:.

Yeah, it was pretty drat good how Palpatine convinced a massive galaxy-spanning corporation to start a war for him and follow his orders just because he tells them to, even after following said orders had massive negative consequences; that was drat good writing.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Did Lindsay released her 2nd part of her Phantom of the Opera loose canon yet?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Tired Moritz posted:

Did Lindsay released her 2nd part of her Phantom of the Opera loose canon yet?

On Patreon, should be public soon.

The next poll is up too on her tublr. Fictional accounts of historical peeps. I think Queen Elizabeth I is beating Hitler right now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

OldMemes posted:

Does Spoony even stream much? There are only a few prerecorded streams on his site. I'd have them on as background noise if he posted them, he's still fairly funny unscripted (talking I mean, not his endless tweets about wrestling and comic book panels).

He's got a poo poo-ton on youtube, like once a week or so.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Rich and I let out the same cackle of delight at imagining the mighty sith lord Vader sucking a straw of 'repmed biopaste' for his food

"Emperor, can I have $50 for a new suit?"

"No, I can't afford it! I need to build a death star."

"Maybe we can just sell a planet or two then? Or, since we're evil, steal it?"

"Budgets! BUDGETS!"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

lornekates posted:

"Emperor, can I have $50 for a new suit?"

"No, I can't afford it! I need to build a death star."

"Maybe we can just sell a planet or two then? Or, since we're evil, steal it?"

"Budgets! BUDGETS!"

This just casts a new light on why he thought so little of the Death Star in New Hope.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The droid making the helmet shiny to distract the shortcuts is by far the the dumbest EU thing.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Tae posted:

The droid making the helmet shiny to distract the shortcuts is by far the the dumbest EU thing.

Oh, sweet summer child, you don't even know.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tae posted:

END ME SCOOB posted:

Oh, sweet summer child, you don't even know.

Yeah, off the top of my head I can instantly come up with poo poo like "the Suncrusher", "Luke becomes Palpatine's apprentice", "oh yeah, Palpatine cloned himself and transmigrated into a new body and is still loving poo poo up", "the Jedi Prince books", "Han Solo punched a giant space otter", "Darksaber", "did you know Palpatine had a bastard son with three eyes?", "The Force Unleashed games", "Princess Leia's galactic pop-star / super spy cousin who sort of hooked up with Dash Rendar maybe", "IG-88 downloaded himself into the Death Star II's main computer and was literally seconds away from taking control over the station before Wedge and Lando blew it up", or "Chewie dies because space Orcs drop a moon on him" -- and that's just the poo poo I can remember. There's even more that I've forgotten.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 2, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

That darksaber is pretty awesome-looking though. I'm okay with that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Benign telepathetic ants that assimilate several main characters (including Han and Leia's kids) into their hivemind.

This is a thing that happened in the EU.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

nine-gear crow posted:

"did you know Palpatine had a bastard son with three eyes?"

Doesn't he even have two sons with three eyes?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

e X posted:

Doesn't he even have two sons with three eyes?

One of them was a clone though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The short of it is; just read the X-Wing novels, because they're the only really good part of the EU. Especially the Wraith Squadron quadrilogy.

Augus posted:

That darksaber is pretty awesome-looking though. I'm okay with that.

The Darksaber wasn't even really dumb (compared to a lot of EU poo poo). It was the Death Stare pared back to be "merely" a cylindrical planet-killing superlaser without all the planet's worth of living quarters and decks (hence the name), which is something you would've thought the Empire would try at some point.

nine-gear crow posted:

"Han Solo punched a giant space otter"

Which one was this? God help me, I think I've read or owned most of the books containing the others.

DStecks posted:

Yeah, it was pretty drat good how Palpatine convinced a massive galaxy-spanning corporation to start a war for him and follow his orders just because he tells them to, even after following said orders had massive negative consequences; that was drat good writing.

I said the basic idea was good. The rest falls under "the movie plots were utter crap" :v:.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Didn't Han not just punch a space otter, but he totally either boned or wanted to bone a lady space otter?

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Didn't Han not just punch a space otter, but he totally either boned or wanted to bone a lady space otter?
I think that was the Corran Horn, the protagonist of the first four Rogue Squadron books, who Michael A Stackpole wrote to be the COOLEST DUDE EVER NO REALLY.

Then you look at a picture of said otter alien and never stop laughing forever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also just so we're clear I know people call Chewie a big dog and all, this is literally the aliens we're talking about

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Thank you, Google, for knowing what I want when I type "Han Solo Punches" and instantly finishing it with "Otter"

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Star Wars Vs. Redwall branding opportunity was a strange one

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The only EU book I read was a few pages from a Phantom Menance timeline where it explains Darth Maul was a student of Qui-Gon. That poo poo should've made it into the movie so Maul had something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just finished blitzing The Great War's 1915 videos. I think I need to watch something happy after hearing about six million people dying. Goddamn.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

DStecks posted:

The Star Wars Vs. Redwall branding opportunity was a strange one

Well, the bad guys in Redwall tended to suffer from Stormtrooper syndrome so it's actually fairly relevant.

Somehow the Empire would land in Mossflower and be subjugating the mice when a giant badger rips a tree out of the ground and smashes an AT-AT's legs out from under it and the Long Patrol shout cheeky British slang as they hurl stones and arrows at the Stormtroopers

EDIT: It ends with House Marm Abigail Wetstripe presenting a beautiful peppermint almond treacle that's being served out of a stormtrooper helmet. The Dibbuns pretend they are eating the stromtroopers brains and everyone laughs. Basil Stag Hare composes a three-verse cheeky song about the battle and the lightsaber of Martin the Warrior is enshrined in the secret underground chamber which can only be unlocked by solving four riddles and holding a mirror up to the sunlight on the third day of Spring after a rain.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 2, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Where's all the racism?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

WickedHate posted:

Where's all the racism?

Storm Troopers are all white cis males and are subsequently genocided by the woodland creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

Benign telepathetic ants that assimilate several main characters (including Han and Leia's kids) into their hivemind.

This is a thing that happened in the EU.

They're implied to have been in an orgy with said insect aliens.

• Locked thread