Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bruceski posted:

I tend to get JRPGs for the characters and story, with an added bonus if they have interesting combat systems. Everything I've seen of Xenoblade Chronicles X, though, is people running through a very pretty world, occasionally beating on something repetitively for a minute, and then moving on like it's an MMO "get five bear asses" quest. Is that what I should expect from the game or has everyone been showing off the boring parts?

As someone who has dumped dozens of hours into the game, this is very accurate. There isn't much of a story, the game is structured primarily around repetitive chore-like quests, and the combat gets pretty rote pretty fast.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Sounds like you just explained to yourself why you've decided you hate a game youve never played. Dont expect anyone here to change your mind. Streaming and LPs have ruined gaming.
My new years resolution is to continue not watching people play video games on the internet, and instead enjoying video games myself.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Edit: This isn't the Retro Gaming thread!

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 1, 2016

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bruceski posted:

I tend to get JRPGs for the characters and story, with an added bonus if they have interesting combat systems. Everything I've seen of Xenoblade Chronicles X, though, is people running through a very pretty world, occasionally beating on something repetitively for a minute, and then moving on like it's an MMO "get five bear asses" quest. Is that what I should expect from the game or has everyone been showing off the boring parts?

I'd just write it off as not for me, but FFXII was a lot of fun with all the stuff I like, and if you got sidetracked it could easily look like an endless empty grindfest too.

That's not what you should expect from the game, it's all about exploring and using a rich complex combat system. But if you want good characters and stories this is not the game for you.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Tender Bender posted:

That's not what you should expect from the game, it's all about exploring and using a rich complex combat system. But if you want good characters and stories this is not the game for you.

I mean the main story is pretty light, but I think the side stuff has a lot of fun little stories that really flesh out the people living there and have interesting characters. For example, I think all the optional merchant side-quests are really good, and are some of my favorite parts of the game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm going to be moving soon and leaving my Wii U behind. I'll probably get a replacement at some point once I'm settled in--I don't mind my purchase history staying with the old Wii U, but can I at least use my old NNID on the new Wii U? Even if it's got a clean slate on purchases?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Argue posted:

I'm going to be moving soon and leaving my Wii U behind. I'll probably get a replacement at some point once I'm settled in--I don't mind my purchase history staying with the old Wii U, but can I at least use my old NNID on the new Wii U? Even if it's got a clean slate on purchases?

You'll have to either bring the old Wii U with you to system transfer, or call Nintendo with the old system's serial number to have them manually transfer..but yes, you can continue using your old NNID.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I could have sworn that part of 100%ing Super Mario 3D World was having each character finish each level. Am I wrong? I figure that I might be because there doesn't seem to be a visual way to let the player know which characters had finished which levels. I would appreciate some clarification on that.

You might have to clear all levels, including all the bonus levels. At the very least, you need to unlock Rosalina.

Playing each level five times only nets you a couple of stamps and you have to really not have anything to do if that's what you're gunning for.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

jivjov posted:

You'll have to either bring the old Wii U with you to system transfer, or call Nintendo with the old system's serial number to have them manually transfer..but yes, you can continue using your old NNID.

Right, but the system transfer is for if I want to preserve my purchase history. I want to know if I can just use my old NNID on the new one, while the old one remains at home with my old purchase history. I don't care if I lose my purchase history on the new one but I'd like to keep using the NNID I already have. In effect there would be two Wii Us, one with my NNID here with all my purchases, and the new one with my NNID, and no purchases.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
As far as I know, your NNID can only be on one Wii U and one 3DS at a time.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

thanks for a car decal idea

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sam Faust posted:

I mean the main story is pretty light, but I think the side stuff has a lot of fun little stories that really flesh out the people living there and have interesting characters. For example, I think all the optional merchant side-quests are really good, and are some of my favorite parts of the game.

The side quest stuff is much better than the main quests, but if someone is specifically looking for plot and character I would have a really hard time recommending this game unless they only own a Wii U.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The way I would put it is: the original Xenoblade is a journey, while Xenoblade X is a sandbox. Personally I find the smallest journey more engaging than the biggest sandbox, and if you feel the same way you might do better with the first game.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I am so glad Nintendo made Splatoon. It just makes me so happy that it exists.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

RyokoTK posted:

You might have to clear all levels, including all the bonus levels. At the very least, you need to unlock Rosalina.

Playing each level five times only nets you a couple of stamps and you have to really not have anything to do if that's what you're gunning for.

You don't have to beat them five times if you have friends...

... But if you have friends then you probably won't care about obsessive 100%ing. What a paradox.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Supercar Gautier posted:

The way I would put it is: the original Xenoblade is a journey, while Xenoblade X is a sandbox. Personally I find the smallest journey more engaging than the biggest sandbox, and if you feel the same way you might do better with the first game.

That's the impression I got from the pieces I saw, thanks for putting what I was asking better than I did. Thanks y'all.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

RyokoTK posted:

But you don't get a star on your profile if you don't beat all the levels with all characters!

You can speed up the process if you have multiple controllers. Just play through a level, stop before the flagpole, then join in with as many needed characters as you can. Then juggle the controllers and get them all on the flagpole within the same few seconds.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Or, y'know, don't.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

enojy posted:

But you don't get a star on your profile if you don't beat all the levels with all characters!

You can speed up the process if you have multiple controllers. Just play through a level, stop before the flagpole, then join in with as many needed characters as you can. Then juggle the controllers and get them all on the flagpole within the same few seconds.

That's what we did for the World Star-Star haha. No loving way am I going through all of that 5 times, one of which as Toad.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Toad is the best though :confused:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Who the christ just leaves their games and game systems behind in a move? What the hell is the motivation there?

Keep your Wii U.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Current thread title is dated since the Luigi guy went away, I need suggestions for a new one.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Argue posted:

What the gently caress?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Current thread title is dated since the Luigi guy went away, I need suggestions for a new one.

Wii U General Discussion - 2016: Star Fox, Zelda and Anime

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Wii U General Discussion - Hashtag Anime.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Wii U Discussion: More Dead Than The Vita Because The NX Will Brick It [Confirmed]

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Wii U General Discussion - KOWASHITAI

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wii U General Discussion - Last on sales charts, first in our hearts.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wii U General Discussion - I came here for the squids, I stayed for the anime
Wii U General Discussion - More video game toys than actual video games.
Wii U General Discussion - Zelda is never coming out, get over it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Tender Bender posted:

Wii U General Discussion - Last on sales charts.

Unless it's Japan.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Wii U General Discussion Thread: Zelda Delayed to 2017

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Wii U General Discussion - We are Makers of Smile's

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Wii U General - Because You May Die Before the NX Comes Out

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ruggington posted:

Wii U General Discussion - We are Makers of Smile's
Remind me where this is from.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Remind me where this is from.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Done, thanks.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's 2016... the year we find out what the NX is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's 2016... the year we find out what the NX is.
It's the Nintendo X.

• Locked thread