Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Moving on to a different show with a currently-locked thread, Gravity Falls' series finale has been set for February 15.

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/682703499579097089

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

max4me posted:

I dunno i liked that generator rex cross over they did

It was pretty good, probably because it was done exclusively by the Generator Rex team with no influence from the Ultimate Alien team, and also the creators of Generator Rex are also the creators of the original Ben 10, so it was even more to their strengths.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I love how there is Seduction of the Innocent reference in JL, also the voice actor who voices Glorious Godfrey is perfect

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton
If someone starts up that SU thread again you should ban fan art/fan comics from it. It added nothing to the discussions & reactions. I had every reason to like that thread and that was a massive turnoff.

To add an on-topic comment, I'm interested in how Nick plans to reboot Hey Arnold! That show had a very unfulfilled ending that no kids today would know about. Are they just gonna make the new version all about Arnold going to the jungle to find his parents or are they gonna have to reintroduce the characters/world a bit?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

More importantly, can they replicate that uniquely ugly turn-of-the-century Klasky style?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I feel like any reboot of Hey Arnold should be based off of this style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmzOmWdsw6E

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone remember a thread around here about old and forgotten cartoons? I can't find it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

IanJ posted:

If someone starts up that SU thread again you should ban fan art/fan comics from it. It added nothing to the discussions & reactions. I had every reason to like that thread and that was a massive turnoff.

To add an on-topic comment, I'm interested in how Nick plans to reboot Hey Arnold! That show had a very unfulfilled ending that no kids today would know about. Are they just gonna make the new version all about Arnold going to the jungle to find his parents or are they gonna have to reintroduce the characters/world a bit?

The plan from what I read is to basically create the Jungle Movie that got dropped when the creator jumped ship to CN to do that Party Wagon show that lasted exactly one pilot episode. It looks like the plan may be to use the movie as a nostalgia move/test interest in a renewed series.

I'm willing to bet a chunk of the movie is going to focus on re-introducing characters, but really the show wasn't exactly complex, you just need the basic framework for the movie to work.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 2, 2016

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I think im gonna make the SU thread.

I hear what people said and yeah, no Fan art.
Ill even link the Fan art thread in PYF if they need to post it.

If It gets out of hand Ill close it at the bat of an eye. Any Idea what the title should say?

V- Maybe -V

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 2, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
How about something like "The creepiest thread about a 12 year old boy."?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
According to the trailer for the next Stevenbomb Steven turns 14 in two episodes so that title might need a slight adjustment.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Didn't realise he'd hit teenage. I always assumed he started the series at 10 years old.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Either wait the two days before hiatus end eve or "returning January 4th"
Idle hands are the devils playthings. Thread will have the best chance of defeating it's acquired stigma if it starts with normal people discussing something that just happened imo

Best of luck if you go through with it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hihohe posted:

If It gets out of hand Ill close it at the bat of an eye. Any Idea what the title should say?

V- Maybe -V

Personally I'd suggest not having a hard no fanart rule, instead suggest that people link to it off-site instead, that way people can share neat stuff they find, but people who don't want to look at it don't have to

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think adult men and women can live without fan art.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think adult men and women can live without fan art.

You are just the biggest killjoy

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

You are just the biggest killjoy

Nobody actually enjoys fan art since, like IanJ said, it adds nothing to discussion. It actually inhibits it by turning it into an art tumblr, which is a terrible medium for conversation.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nobody actually enjoys fan art since, like IanJ said, it adds nothing to discussion. It actually inhibits it by turning it into an art tumblr, which is a terrible medium for conversation.

That is an objectively false statement, and trying to claim otherwise would make you out as a lier, so knock it off

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

max4me posted:

I dunno i liked that generator rex cross over they did

It wasn't bad. I just didn't like Generator Rex. For a dude who could turn his hands into giant robot fists, and other junk. He was pretty boring protagonist. Most of the characters never really reached outside that basic framework.

He kind of suffered that same staleness that teenage Ben did.

Also, I feel the need to go back and watch more Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Good children's cartoon

drrockso20 posted:

That is an objectively false statement, and trying to claim otherwise would make you out as a lier, so knock it off

Who the hell has fun passing around fan art like a pedophile ring?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hihohe posted:

V- Maybe -V

Please remember, any anime discussion belongs in the anime subforum and NOT in TV/IV, we moved our toonami and korra threads for a reason

thank you

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Good children's cartoon

Who the hell has fun passing around fan art like a pedophile ring?

You and Ian were right that there's no need to dump fanart into the thread when it's very easy to find for anyone who wants it, but can you maybe curtail this sort of deliberate poo poo-stirring comparison in the interest of A Nice Thread?

Oh and please everyone remember not to reply to deliberate GBS-posting, just report it if it's really bad and then ignore it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The new SU thread could definitely use a no fanart rule. Part of the reason why I stopped going in there was because the thread started to resemble a Tumblr dashboard, where every hour or so there would be five new pages of someone posting mediocre fanart followed by a bunch of low-effort reaction posts, over and over again. That thread was near impossible to keep up with unless you were one of the handful of hardcore fans who kept posting that kind of poo poo every day.

PicklePants posted:

It wasn't bad. I just didn't like Generator Rex. For a dude who could turn his hands into giant robot fists, and other junk. He was pretty boring protagonist. Most of the characters never really reached outside that basic framework.

He kind of suffered that same staleness that teenage Ben did.

I really hated Generator Rex when it was one, because it felt like the prime example of how to take a bunch of cool ideas and ruin it with the hackiest, low-effort writing possible.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Pakled posted:

Moving on to a different show with a currently-locked thread, Gravity Falls' series finale has been set for February 15.
drat. I was really hoping that Gravity Falls would be over before the new season of Venture Bros started!

And yeah, a "no fanart" rule doesn't seem too draconian. There is a reason why fanworks of any nature have their own topic or sub-forum in most specialized boards. At most people can share the link to a tumble or deviantart account they really like.

HorseRenoir posted:

I really hated Generator Rex when it was one, because it felt like the prime example of how to take a bunch of cool ideas and ruin it with the hackiest, low-effort writing possible.
I liked Breach. Nice design and powers.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Toxxupation posted:

Please remember, any anime discussion belongs in the anime subforum and NOT in TV/IV, we moved our toonami and korra threads for a reason

thank you

did korra thrread really get moved there?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Acne Rain posted:

did korra thrread really get moved there?

yes

locked, americanime thread opened in its place

X-O made a specific point that the VEGETA mod wanted the thread

reinforcing the point that steven universe, being anime, fits most fully in that subforum,

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
fwiw, the Undertale thread in Games has lots of fanwork posts and seems to do okay. It's a pretty decent analogue in terms of "a thing with a massive, often-obnoxious fandom behind it," and I prefer reading it to trying to sift through crap on Tumblr/Reddit.

as someone who used to post a bunch of it, I think fanart is cool and good, but since it does seem to lead to absolutely insane derails for no reason, I'd be willing to sacrifice it in exchange for a readable GDT for next week's episodes :)

Toxxupation posted:

reinforcing the point that steven universe, being anime, fits most fully in that subforum,

I don't really care what forum it ends up as long as someone actually moderates it and it doesn't just get overrun with shitposters

so, uh, not GBS or RGD, I guess

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Don't worry, BOTL tries his hardest to bring down the Undertale thread too. But it's too... determined :smug:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I would not compare something to the Undertale thread as a positive.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Stephen Universe fans really are Bronies mkII: Gem Harder.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Macaluso posted:

Don't worry, BOTL tries his hardest to bring down the Undertale thread too. But it's too... determined :smug:

It is indeed like pissing in the ocean.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
well, maybe someone should pm the vegeta mods about that.

x-o kind of did not want to mod the insanity of the last thread and pretty much did not act on reports and poo poo and let the inmates take over the asylum. Hell, is there still an americanime thread? Should there be? Maybe having multiple shows under the topic would keep it from becoming an insular group of obsessive weirdos who start crying about OUTSIDERS all the time and post too much to let anyone have an intelligent word in.

Then again, my only experience beyond the tokusatsu thread (live action so they cannot pull some of the weird poo poo other anime does) was the madoka thread, which had primoman. and also eventually just started talking about how hot 14 year olds are so I unbookmarked and never looked back.

it's doomed isn't it :(

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

abraham linksys posted:

fwiw, the Undertale thread in Games has lots of fanwork posts and seems to do okay. It's a pretty decent analogue in terms of "a thing with a massive, often-obnoxious fandom behind it," and I prefer reading it to trying to sift through crap on Tumblr/Reddit.

at this point multiple reasonable people have the experience of finding the thread impossible to read or bother with if it's treated like a fanart dump. It is thoughtless to continue to demand that.

plus 90% of things made on the internet are crap no matter the series so if you just post crap you found without filtering for quality of course you'll make it look like everyone watching is a lame weirdo who just has crushes on the character and continue the stigma the thread has and get it locked again.

Just... go use the pyf fanart thread. If there isn't one, make one. Giant posts dumping stuff from the web without discussion is what pyf is for.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Acne Rain posted:

Just... go use the pyf fanart thread. If there isn't one, make one. Giant posts dumping stuff from the web without discussion is what pyf is for.

Ban fanart from the main thread and make a PYF SU fanart thread sounds like a good idea to me.

abraham linksys posted:

I don't really care what forum it ends up as long as someone actually moderates it and it doesn't just get overrun with shitposters

so, uh, not GBS or RGD, I guess

also this

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
come to think, there was a specific "pyf homestuck fanart" thread for a long, long rear end time

probably saved that thread's life.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Would screenshots fall under the catagory of fanart?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
no, screenshots are fine by my completely arbitrary decree

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
The point is we want a thread for discussing the show, not for doing the various other activities that fans do on other websites. You may think of it as a thread where "no fun is allowed", if that helps clarify.

kefkafloyd posted:

Ban fanart from the main thread and make a PYF SU fanart thread sounds like a good idea to me.

...or you could just post any images you think are truly notable in the general fanart thread, and let Reddit be in charge of reposting every single thing that pops up on Tumblr or Deviantart.

Flying-PCP fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 2, 2016

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the gently caress is going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

frank.club posted:

What the gently caress is going on