Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

adamarama posted:

Just finished Kotor 2 again, on a star wars binge since the movie. Is the story picked up in swtor? I pretty much just want to play Kotor 3, I don't really care about the mmo side. Do I need to play the original swtor story or just the new expansion?

The class stories are all pretty cool, but if you want to play it as KOTOR3 I'd recommend either the Jedi Knight or Sith Warrior class. Play Acts 1-3 then move onto Shadow of Revan, then KOTFE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Did they nyx the class quest exp boost?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SweetBro posted:

Yep, double XP ended today.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Medullah posted:

Gaaay

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Medullah posted:

Clarification: double XP for everything is over, increased XP from story missions that's been in since the patch is still on

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

SweetBro posted:

The December double XP event ended today, if that's what you mean. That was 2x to everything, not just class quests.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Ah okay. Good. If I had to start playing through the vanilla side quests for exp I would loving kill myself.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Thanks for the tips guys. The xp boost on story missions is just for subscribers? I might get a 2 month subscription to run through everything.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

SweetBro posted:

Ah okay. Good. If I had to start playing through the vanilla side quests for exp I would loving kill myself.

Class Quests + Planetary Storyline will do it. Or throw in some heroics, pvp, flashpoints, etc. No need to collect bantha foreskins.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

adamarama posted:

Thanks for the tips guys. The xp boost on story missions is just for subscribers? I might get a 2 month subscription to run through everything.

The xp boost is for everyone, but subscribers earn 25% more than non subs

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

bonds0097 posted:

Class Quests + Planetary Storyline will do it. Or throw in some heroics, pvp, flashpoints, etc. No need to collect bantha foreskins.

Hey now, everyone's got a thing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey I had a little discussion about this in guild chat- I'm leveling a Mercenary with Arsenal and I'm not liking how your main filler ability is a channel that roots you in place, I like to be more mobile. Is Innovative Ordnance more mobile, and how complex is it generally considered? Also since a Gunslinger is next in line, do they have any specs that are relatively mobile?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I had a little discussion about this in guild chat- I'm leveling a Mercenary with Arsenal and I'm not liking how your main filler ability is a channel that roots you in place, I like to be more mobile. Is Innovative Ordnance more mobile, and how complex is it generally considered? Also since a Gunslinger is next in line, do they have any specs that are relatively mobile?

You're not getting away from channeling with either spec. IO has Unload and Power Shot, both proc Mag Shot for free which is your rail shot replacement. That will proc instant Serrated Shot which is one of your dots. Incindiary Missile and Thermal Detonator are both instant.

Sniper has a channel in every spec, Engineering probably the least as you only have to channel snipe and series of shots. However, you really need to be in cover to take advantage of the defensive bonuses so no matter what you do you're a turret.

If you're looking for a mobile DPS class with zero channeling you might want to consider Vanguard or Powertech Tactics/AP. They are extremely mobile heavy hitters and all their moves are instant (unless you need to AOE something down)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is Treek still op or have all the companion changes made her a waste?

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Robo Reagan posted:

Is Treek still op or have all the companion changes made her a waste?

Treek is no longer OP.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

There is an optional skill you can get at higher levels that lets you move during your big channeled attack.

The other advice I always give about that class/spec is don't ever be afraid to stop what you're doing and reposition. You can spam your free attack while you're running around, which does decent damage, and the cooldown on the big channel constantly gets reset by your main attack (tracer missile, or grav round for commandos) and is pretty short to begin with. It's not like the channeled attacks other classes have, where you're boned if it gets interrupted. You can basically ignore the cooldown, and you don't have to sweat it if you only get in half a cast here and there. And that's just until you unlock that perk where you can move during it.

Arsenal/Gunnery makes you feel like a turret at low levels, but that's temporary. At that point you're doing easy content and figuring out your basic rotation, and later on you'll be freed up and dancin' all over the battlefield.

I also like to go heavy on alacrity when I'm gearing. I don't know if that's optimal, but shorter cast times make the class more fun to play.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Sounds cool I'll stick with that then.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Emy posted:

Treek is no longer OP.

Neat, guess I'll waste my points on pretty clothes then

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Posted this before, but I really recommend changing your maximum zoom in the ini file. It makes node guarding much easier in PvP. :D

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to reload the Powertech Shoulder Cannon or do I have to use all the missiles?

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Cooldown won't start until you've used all the missiles or they time out. No way to reload except to use it fresh again.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Catsworth posted:

Cooldown won't start until you've used all the missiles or they time out. No way to reload except to use it fresh again.

You can also right click on the Shoulder Cannon buff icon to clear it (this will get rid of any missiles you have left) and immediately start the CD.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Sith Warrior: Gotta say, I'm pretty pissed off that I'm not allowed to execute Quinn for betraying me. Not much of an Emperor's Wrath, if I let treason stand unpunished.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any reason to set your companion to tank instead of healer? The only reasons I can think of are if you want to backstab or I guess if you're really dedicated to healing and like everything to take forever to die.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

Is there any reason to set your companion to tank instead of healer? The only reasons I can think of are if you want to backstab or I guess if you're really dedicated to healing and like everything to take forever to die.

Companions still deal decent damage and get a self-heal in tank stance. Unless you overpull it'll actually be faster than having them heal you.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'll stick to healer then since my method of questing involves aggroing an entire area then setting it on fire.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I wonder when we're gonna hear from Bioware now that the holidays are winding down. I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to play mediator after they vanished on the community, leaving half the months events broken with no planned fix/communication.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

SweetBro posted:

Sith Warrior: Gotta say, I'm pretty pissed off that I'm not allowed to execute Quinn for betraying me. Not much of an Emperor's Wrath, if I let treason stand unpunished.

As you might be able to guess, you were supposed to be able to execute him. That option was removed in beta after a ton of idiots complained.

Robo Reagan posted:

There are some heroics that I have only been able to get through with the comp on tank.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Should I be grinding up a certain group for my Alliance or does it not matter? Sorry for all the dumb questions, I took the free boost to 60 thing. :v:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

shadok posted:

As you might be able to guess, you were supposed to be able to execute him. That option was removed in beta after a ton of idiots complained.

There are some heroics that I have only been able to get through with the comp on tank.

Companion specs used to be fixed too, so you couldn't swap a companion to any of three. Which you can understand why that would be frustrating when you just killed your healer

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Why the gently caress does pubbie que finder think it's acceptable to have a group with no healers?

Also, is best way to credit farm just to send out companions to do resource gathering missions and sell that poo poo?

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 2, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SweetBro posted:

Why the gently caress does pubbie que finder think it's acceptable to have a group with no healers?

Because the instances are so easy that you can do them with 4 dps nowadays, if everyone has their poo poo together about hitting the kolto stations in boss fights. You manage to get a tank OR a healer, and they become easymode.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

RFC2324 posted:

Because the instances are so easy that you can do them with 4 dps nowadays, if everyone has their poo poo together about hitting the kolto stations in boss fights. You manage to get a tank OR a healer, and they become easymode.

But my pubbies are tardies and die keep on wiping before boss fights

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SweetBro posted:

But my pubbies are tardies and die keep on wiping before boss fights

Most people do decline when they see 4x dps because, yes, pubbies are not so good.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do Assassin or Juggernaut tanks have any neat tools that Power Shield doesn't? Grappling Hook and Power Jump or whatever they're actually called are pretty handy and MO is pretty sweet too.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

Do Assassin or Juggernaut tanks have any neat tools that Power Shield doesn't? Grappling Hook and Power Jump or whatever they're actually called are pretty handy and MO is pretty sweet too.

Assassins have a force pull, force speed and a teleport to target and Juggs have force jump, jump to friendly target and saber reflect. Juggs are simpler but we have some people that swear by Assassin tanks and how fun/interesting they are.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Robo Reagan posted:

I think their main appeal is that they get to use lightsabers.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Was there a small rollback last night? I know I spent the boot token I got from Terror before I went to bed, but when I logged in it was unspent and back in ym inventory.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Taking a look at the OP, it looks like there are "best" roles for each class that don't quite line up with what the game says. Is there really no reason to be anything but the primary spec? Can I play a scrappy scoundrel, or are they pretty much just healers? I would like to know if picking the DPS line for anything that doesn't shout "I'm DPS" or something that happens to have a heal or two is out of line.

I haven't played a holy trinity class system game in a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Taking a look at the OP, it looks like there are "best" roles for each class that don't quite line up with what the game says. Is there really no reason to be anything but the primary spec? Can I play a scrappy scoundrel, or are they pretty much just healers? I would like to know if picking the DPS line for anything that doesn't shout "I'm DPS" or something that happens to have a heal or two is out of line.

I haven't played a holy trinity class system game in a long time

Up to Nightmare content every class can perform really well as any of their 3 specs. And even then, only some groups will prefer one over another and will usually wave it if the player is competent. So, if all you want to do is PVE/PVP and maybe do some HM raiding with goons, play whatever the hell you want and don't worry about theorycrafting.

• Locked thread