Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
My memory is a bit hazy, but didn't win 98 have a key that was just putting in whatever numbers added up to the correct sum for each of the four boxes? I can't remember what the sums are though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh, and—

mcbexx posted:

The game that pushed 386 cpus into our homes...

https://youtu.be/GbzioZBTUIU?t=41s

Every frame of animation, every note of music.

loving bitch rear end Dralthis, present a bigger target why don't you

(Also lol @ them giving you a moe waifu as your wingman right from the word go)

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Buttcoin purse posted:

Did anyone download mail from their BBS in QWK or Blue Wave format or anything? I never got into it much except when I wanted to archive interesting things.

QWK was awesome. It was really the only way you could keep up with lots of Fidonet echos, since most BBSes had strict time limits. I used a program called Jabber on an old Tandy 1000 with one 360k disk drive back in the day, but I eventually switched to Silver Xpress once I got a better computer.

I think I still have my tagline collection on a burned CD somewhere.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Scrubs. Post the NCSA Mosaic animation

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Also lol if you didn't have win32 and trumpet winsock.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Tons more: https://anlucas.neocities.org/88x31Buttons.html

edit: LinkExchange.

Chief McHeath has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Jan 1, 2016

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

So much nostalgia with these.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Holy poo poo!!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

bit later than most stuff itt but remember these extremely good and not at all terrible things

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Remember PointCast? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PointCast_(dotcom)

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Does anyone remember WildTangent?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Remember it? poo poo, I just uninstalled it from my father in law's new laptop.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

http://www.nomoreaolcds.com/

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

sinking belle posted:

bit later than most stuff itt but remember these extremely good and not at all terrible things

Ah the 45 degree black diagonal line pattern craze of every sig maker circa 2004-5

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

stealie72 posted:

My memory is a bit hazy, but didn't win 98 have a key that was just putting in whatever numbers added up to the correct sum for each of the four boxes? I can't remember what the sums are though.

quote:

If you want to make up your own key of the form nnn-nnnnnnn, it seems that the first three digits can be any number you like while the last seven digits must add up to a multiple of seven.

This worked for a bunch of MS software back then.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

im_sorry posted:

QWK was awesome. It was really the only way you could keep up with lots of Fidonet echos, since most BBSes had strict time limits.

Oh yeah! Well actually there was another, harder way, which is what I did: start your own BBS. I always do things the hard way. I didn't have a dedicated phone line so it was one of those lovely nighttime-only BBSes and I'd be in big trouble with my parents if I forgot to turn down the ringer on the phone before I went to bed.

Remember us lovely SysOps who had a few CD-ROMs like these but only one CD-ROM drive, so if you wanted a file from another CD you had to hope that one was "online" (in the drive) tomorrow or maybe ask the SysOp nicely to make it so? I knew a guy who bought a CD changer for his BBS which seemed crazy!

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Windows 1.0

Windows 3.1

Windows 95

moricons.dll

Windows 98

XP

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

drunk asian neighbor posted:

hooooooly poo poo my later childhood

Anyone remember Amazon and Yukon Trail? Yukon was meh IIRC but Amazon was fun as hell. Taking pictures and poo poo.

The Dr. Brain games were fun as poo poo and I wish I could track those down as well.

I loved all those MECC games, id murder for a steam edition of yukon trail and oregon trail 2

also the island of dr quandary

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

note mjolnir in mid flight. god of thunder was a zelda knock off but a good one

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

im_sorry posted:

QWK was awesome. It was really the only way you could keep up with lots of Fidonet echos, since most BBSes had strict time limits. I used a program called Jabber on an old Tandy 1000 with one 360k disk drive back in the day, but I eventually switched to Silver Xpress once I got a better computer.

I think I still have my tagline collection on a burned CD somewhere.

I know exactly where my tagline collection is: on a 3.5" floppy that I put on the top of a pile of crap from my high school years just before sealing it up and jamming it on the top shelf of my bedroom closet before heading off to college.

Oh poo poo, it's on my current laptop too, jesus christ. *reads* "Are you running under Windows, or just using an XT?" What an intolerable fucker I was

("was")

(I used Jabber with a local WWIV BBS. I remember being horrified to discover that there was a Christian discussion group on it; I was like, what? People still believe in that stuff?)

Anyone use a BBS with RIP Graphics? Vector assets transmitted over 9600 baud and rendered lovingly in EGA. RIP in peace

E: "None of you people exist. My sysop types all of this in."

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Jan 2, 2016

Brodly
Apr 17, 2003

Shaolin Soccer

Hello my future girlfriend this is what I look like
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ge7mozA-ptI

Apparently this guy did an AMA on Reddit a few years ago about being an Internet meme so I guess he's cool

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

I loved all those MECC games, id murder for a steam edition of yukon trail and oregon trail 2

also the island of dr quandary
Oregon Trail 2 is the best iteration. More advanced than its predecessors, with many often wrong options for dealing with problems. 3 is a bit of a dumbing down. 4 or 5 has some quirk in which it only works with a certain version of Quicktime, a version older than the one before it installs. You actually have to downgrade Quicktime to make it work. Pretty sure that's 4 that does that. 5 I believe is a slightly improved version of 2 with FMV cartoons along the way that adds a story, haven't played it yet. You could get 2 and 3 in wooden collectors boxes. 2 I recieved for Christmas when I was a kid, 3 I bougjt last year.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Buttcoin purse posted:

Oh yeah! Well actually there was another, harder way, which is what I did: start your own BBS. I always do things the hard way. I didn't have a dedicated phone line so it was one of those lovely nighttime-only BBSes and I'd be in big trouble with my parents if I forgot to turn down the ringer on the phone before I went to bed.

I always wanted to start a BBS, but never actually did. One time, a couple friends and I almost set one up - we had a basic install of WWIV up and running at one point - but I don't think we ever actually put it online. I also tried out a BBS system called MacroBBS, which was written in the {COMMO} macro language (and ran through {COMMO}).

Buttcoin purse posted:

Remember us lovely SysOps who had a few CD-ROMs like these but only one CD-ROM drive, so if you wanted a file from another CD you had to hope that one was "online" (in the drive) tomorrow or maybe ask the SysOp nicely to make it so? I knew a guy who bought a CD changer for his BBS which seemed crazy!

I don't remember any of those in my area, but we did have one BBS where the guy just installed RBBS-In-A-Box with the default configuration on an old computer and didn't seem to touch it ever again. It was up for years like that.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Data Graham posted:

(Also lol @ them giving you a moe waifu as your wingman right from the word go)

I was annoyed that I couldn't fly with Spirit for the duration of the game. I was a huge pre-teen nerd and my balls were just beginning to drop.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

revmoo posted:

Scrubs. Post the NCSA Mosaic animation

Anyone got a copy of the giant N striding the earth (the one after the throbbing blue N but before the one with the meteors)? I'm coming up blank.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

revmoo posted:

Also lol if you didn't have win32 and trumpet winsock.

We all could put up with this poo poo just fine. But woe unto anyone who was doing support for an ISP in those days, trying to get bewildered bluehairs connected with their Packard Bells.

"I clicked on Trumpet Win... Winstock, but I don't know what to do next! When I was on American Airlines it was all so easy..."

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

this was like a good third of my childhood

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I wanted this so much. When finally pirated it years later, I was quite confused about the structure of the whole thing, and definitely would be even more as a kid. Still, quite good piece of software, it's very limited and yet flexible with few workarounds, the biggest limitation being stored variables - I think only three could be stored, but you could kinda cheat with score and lives counters. You could even get some kind of scrolling with creative use of moving sprites.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Grand Prix Legends and Red Baron 3D ate up a good bit of my spare time back in the day.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

Wall Balls posted:

this was like a good third of my childhood

Is that Fantavision? The version I remember looked like this:

And yeah. I lost entire spring breaks to Fantavision and the endless series of stick-figure kung-fu movies I made with it. That and -- for some reason -- Print Shop. Here's a GIF that brings back memories:

I ran both of those on the Apple II compatible Laser 128, which I just now learned was made by VTech. Wonders never cease.

The Laser's 128 is for 128K of RAM (of course)* but one thing the Wikipedia entry about it doesn't mention is that you could flip a front-of-the-case switch from 128 to 64 if you wanted to restrict your software to 64K of memory. I'd love to know why you'd ever do that; I'm guessing some set of Apple II software wouldn't run properly on anything greater than 64K, but if there was I never met it.

And speaking of precious, wasted youth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEB9M_1XOP0

I don't know where he was going, but he changed his money into __________ was the "I think I'm drunk" of the Carmen Sandiego crime-solving world.

And speaking of Broderbund -- who seriously owned at least Apple's continent of the software world -- there was Jordan Mechner's run up to Prince of Persia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKqk9kosCs4.

That loving bird, man. Akuma and his loving bird. And that loving gate.

And that loving Princess with her loving post-traumatic violence or whatever, blowing out the upper right hand corner of the hot/crazy matrix. Walk to her and she kills you, but bull charge her like a full-on rape-crazed psycho and she's sucking face. It's like a perfect synecdoche for my first marriage.

And speaking of apocalypses personal and planetary, there was Wasteland: the greatest game of any type, of any era, and for any platform. Maybe the IBM version was better than the Apple, but that's hair splitting. Behold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-C2SFLuqJo

URAQT2, Ellen. And look out for Harry, the Bunny Master.

*EDIT: I just realized something that changed how I see both myself and my place in the world: I used some computer with 128K of RAM from 1984 until drat near the end of the millennium. Not as a throwback kind of thing, but as the daily driver machine on which I did all of my actual work.

Brainworm has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Jan 2, 2016

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

laserghost posted:

I wanted this so much. When finally pirated it years later, I was quite confused about the structure of the whole thing, and definitely would be even more as a kid. Still, quite good piece of software, it's very limited and yet flexible with few workarounds, the biggest limitation being stored variables - I think only three could be stored, but you could kinda cheat with score and lives counters. You could even get some kind of scrolling with creative use of moving sprites.

One year I made a huge list of video games I wanted for Christmas. It was at the height of the early 80's video game boom, and I put many Atari 2600 games and perhaps an Apple II game or two on it.

Instead my parents got me some Apple II software program for making my own action games, the name of which escapes me. I felt like I'd been slapped in the face on Christmas morning. Thanks mom and dad!

Edit: Found it, looks like it was this:

Anton Chigurh has a new favorite as of 06:53 on Jan 2, 2016

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The Million Dollar Homepage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Million_Dollar_Homepage

This is the sort of idea that should have never worked, but did.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com
cheapbytes.com

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Windows 1.0
Windows 3.1
Windows 95
moricons.dll
Windows 98
XP

I want to do this for buttons. They started out flat in Windows 1.0 and mostly flat in DOS, then they got pretty 3D in Windows 3.x, a bit flatter in 95, more chunky again in XP if you used the Fisher Price interface, and in Windows 8 they're totally flat again. Well, depending on which half of Windows 8 you're using, that is.

Data Graham posted:

Anyone use a BBS with RIP Graphics? Vector assets transmitted over 9600 baud and rendered lovingly in EGA. RIP in peace

I tried it once but the terminal emulator/client program might have been able to display graphics but I seem to recall it wasn't as powerful as Telemate - it wouldn't let me do other stuff while a download was in progress, for instance. I guess once Windows 95 came out (I seem to recall 3.x not being so good for running comms apps under) that wouldn't have been such a big deal!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Palace_(computer_program)

there was this and also ms comic chat installed on my library's computer, it owned bones

i was hoping someone would post the first computer i had. it was a computer where the keyboard was integrated directly into the case. it had a 3.5 inch reader and no floppy, so it wasn't too ancient. i remember to be one of the first of its kind to do away with floppies. it could play king's quest 3 and other games like that. it had a color monitor. no mouse, ran DOS. anyone know what it was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My first trackball. Long before I ever used a mouse.

Casimir Radon has a new favorite as of 10:46 on Jan 2, 2016