Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Is it ok, if I count everything on January 2nd or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

If you're okay with us docking your pay, sure.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Command Ant posted:

If you're okay with us docking your pay, sure.

:smith: ok

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Count my thread also tia

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Koufuku Grafitti: It was a delight to see the sisterhood / friendship between Ryo and Kirin develop. The story is cute, the characters are cute, the next-episode preview animations are hella cute, everything is cute. Ryo herself is a really fascinating character, especially in how people around her affect her enjoyment of food - she can cook herself a fantastic meal but she can't really taste it if she can't enjoy it. She's literally the personification of the concept of love being the secret ingredient. It's a heartwarming story of how a lonely girl rediscovers the spark that gives her life joy through her budding relationship with her cousin. This would honestly have been a contender for my Top 5, but lost out to Working!!! and Rokka for sentimental reasons.

:yeah: This is a good description of that show :) I would love to see more of Koufuku Grafitti, and Rolling Girls too!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In Training posted:

Oh poo poo...there was a PaRappa the Rappa anime in 2001...
you know it baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PweFuUlR3-E

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Knorth posted:

:yeah: This is a good description of that show :) I would love to see more of Koufuku Grafitti, and Rolling Girls too!

Fuckin' love that show, bro.

The episode where Kirin makes lunch for Ryo was so sweet.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh6BtPs-KNk

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I'd prefer you wait until the weekend is over at least, but I won't hold you to it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Coming in under the gun. I literally could not decide.

• 1. Shirobako
    As stated by a vast majority of us, this show was the best. I loved a lot of anime this year, far more than I can stick on this list; but Shirobako takes the crown. The show was super easy to relate to and the characters felt very real in their mannerisms and interactions. A bit of a meta plot line really helped convey the stress of entering the workforce by focusing on something the viewer is familiar with. poo poo was great and that's all there is to it.

• 2. ONEPUNCH MAN
    I feel like there's nothing I can add here. Show is great, animation is great, Murata is great, ONE is great. Everything here is great. Wrapped up the season super nicely and proved to us all that Mumen rider is the hero we truly deserve.

• 3. Gatchaman Crowds: Insight
    Gatchaman is awesome. More Hajime was just what we all needed to keep our spirits high. Her and Katz continue to have the best relationship between all cast members and the conflict with Gel was masterfully crafted as a "Hajime" issue (in the sense she is off the wall enough to come up with a solution); with a little help from Katz. While this season definitely lacked the same punch as the first one for me, I like the characters enough to ignore some of the more labored problems with Gel and Tsubaki. In the end it was Hajime taking back seat to let Tsubaki really shine and grow up as a character. Rather than rushing her transition from country girl to Gatchaman, they really made sure to flesh out how hard it was for her to change her whole perspective on the world.

• 4. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Osu
    All aboard the feels train. I love a good tug on the heart strings and am an avid classic music fan. Here we have a show that delivered on both fronts and boy did it come at you hard. Tears were shed, laughs were had, and the show legitimately got me to start playing my piano again. It's not often I get touched by something so deepy, but here we are and I'm probably a huge nerd for it. Music is truly communication beyond words and can convey so many things language is simply incapable of. While the interactions and relationships between the characters was mostly cut and dry, there were a couple dangling strings that left you wondering what life would be like after the season ended. Another super special thing I felt was that the music being played almost felt like another character. There was emotional development between Kosei and the piece of music he was practicing for one reason or another. As he rekindled his love for music and for performing, you could feel his relationship with the music really broaden and turn into absolute passion. They helped this along by mirroring the development along side his love for Kaori to really help drive the nail home.
I very seriously had to think about this last entry for a couple of hours at work. Just brooding over the choice between Euphonium and Shokugeki no Soma... But a choice had to be made and that choice is:
  • 5. Hibike! Euphonium
    gently caress this was a hard choice. Honestly this was only edged out because of my love for KyoAni and classical music (particularly being a bass brass player myself). The characters are adorable and have that very special KyoAni touch in merciless attention to detail. Many scenes in the show were conveyed purely by reading character emotions rather than listening to words. The connections between the cast began to deepen to the point that you could physically FEEL them getting closer while watching events unfold on the screen.

Being at work, I am unable to devote enough concentration to making this more of an effort post, but I could also get carried away with those really fast. As always, honorable mentions go to:
  • Shokugeki no Soma
  • Death Parade
  • Working!!!
  • Yuru Yuri
  • Prison School
  • DanMachi

Cutting the list was hard as hell. I thought on it for quite some time before just deciding to post it and get it over with. 2015 was a good year for anime. Here's to hoping we get another great year in 2016.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

• 0. Love Live School Idol Project + Movie
    It's a well-kept secret, so I'll say it now. I really like Love Live. I know, I know. Love Live wasn't even this year. But the movie was. So I'm giving it the top (non-existent) ranking. I don't have time to effort post about it now. I'll do it later. This post is long enough already.

Also this. Love Live always wins for it is the best.

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 31, 2015

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Thanks to those of you who gave in-depth replies. I enjoyed reading them and I appreciate the scouting reports. Gives me some additions to the watch list. :)

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Shirobako

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Own the mod and count the results now

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Its me, I'm the normie tier guy

1. One Punch Man- its the normie tier king and fun as poo poo
2. Fate Stay Night- Probably helps that forgot about the parts I didn't like, but they conclusion was satisfying and had very good fights
3. Jojo - It was good, but this arc didn't really work for me great.
4. Overlord- A bit up and down, but some fun villains and a decent take on the stuck in a game genre

I swear I watched another show or two, but if they made this little impact, they must not have been very good

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
I've just been informed that Gundam IBO doesn't yet count for AOTY voting because it's continuing into next year, so I switched that vote for whoever's counting. That is all.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

Own the mod and count the results now

no

but i will count your bad animes too

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

here's 2chan's top 50

01. 933 Shirobako

02. 643 Hibike! Euphonium

03. 542 Prison School

04. 347 One punch man

05. 285 Non Non Biyori Repeat

06. 280 Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

07. 250 Overlord

08. 229 Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata

09. 228 Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Exodus

10. 191 Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry

11. 189 JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Stardust Crusaders 2nd Season

12. 185 Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

13. 154 Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine

14. 158 Himouto! Umaru-chan

15. 147 Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai

16. 143 Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo Taikutsu na Sekai

16. 143 Yuru Yuri San☆Hai!

18. 136 Houkago no Pleiades

19. 124 Owarimonogatari

19. 124 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.Zoku

21. 123 Parasyte -the maxim-

22. 121 Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

23. 119 Seiken Tsukai no World Break

24. 110 Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka??

25. 108 Joukamachi no Dandelion

26. 106 Rolling☆Girls

27. 100 PriPara

28. 99 Charlotte

28. 95 Osomatsu-san

30. 94 Shokugeki no Souma

31. 93 Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works]

32. 90 Gakkougurashi!

33. 89 Go! Princess Precure

34. 87 Hacka Doll The Animation

35. 86 SHOW BY ROCK!!

36. 82 Lupin III (2015)

37. 81 Rokka no Yuusha

38. 78 Yuri Kuma Arashi

39. 75 Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou

40. 74 Aldnoah Zero

41. 73 Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider

42. 71 The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls

42. 72 Etotama

44. 65 Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX

45. 63 GATE

46. 61 Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen

47. 60 Ore Monogatari!!

48. 57 Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid

49. 56 Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu

50. 55 WORKING!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wow Working has no love

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you gotta be on more female-focused sites for that

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that's a pretty good top 7, at least

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
They have my love story way too low.

Anyway, my list:

One punch man
My love story
Your lie in April
Shirobako

Nothing else left enough of an impression to have a fifth. Reasonings later when not phone typing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ore Monogatari got less than half as many votes as Cross Ange. :unsmigghh:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Davincie posted:

47. 60 Ore Monogatari!!

50. 55 WORKING!!!

worthless

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I don't have the heart to order them:

Shirobako
One Punch
My Love Story
Your Lie in April
Parasyte

Ok I take that back Shirobako is definitely #1.

E: in any other year Yona would have made it in here.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I should really check out the fafner sequels eventually, I didn't hate the 1st series.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I stopped watching Overlord after like 4-5 episodes, but not out of any conscious decision. I guess I'll have to go back and finish it, given how well received it seems to have been on both lists.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ore Monogatari at 47 are you loving serious

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ore Monogatari at 47 are you loving serious
I mean they have Cross Ange at 16, it is literally an entire website of Dilberts.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Seeing some of the things that beat My Love Story on that list :argh: :argh: :argh:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a show for teenage girls isn't going to do well on a site that is an holdout for old school otaku ppl

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Most surprising about that list is that there were kinda legitimately 50 good animes this year.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tae posted:

I should really check out the fafner sequels eventually, I didn't hate the 1st series.

Is that a sequel? Or a remake? Last thing I saw of it was the OVA that came out like 5-7 years ago or something like that. I didn't even know they had a Fafner anime out this year until I saw the countdown lists, and I'm in kind of the same boat as you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Is that a sequel? Or a remake? Last thing I saw of it was the OVA that came out like 5-7 years ago or something like that. I didn't even know they had a Fafner anime out this year until I saw the countdown lists, and I'm in kind of the same boat as you.
sequel. there's been a couple of sequel anime in the past couple of years.

the OVA was the last thing made until recently. It was a really random revival.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the most surprising part of the whole thing is that the new fafner stuff's been really good.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Davincie posted:

a show for teenage girls isn't going to do well on a site that is an holdout for old school otaku ppl

I'm 28 and my love story is aoty but ya I guess

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

My love story was a really awesome for 7 episodes then just continued forever

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm 28 and my love story is aoty but ya I guess
a show for girls at all isn't going to do well on a site that is a holdout for old school otaku ppl

See also, lack of Yona and Haikyuu.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Since it's getting close to counting time and I haven't finished Shirobako, I'm just going to list my 5 favorites anyway.

1. Your Lie in April - Probably the most memorable show I've seen this year. Having an emotional plot centered around music is a really easy way to get me to pay attention to your show. It hit every note for me (no pun intended).

2. Hibike! Euphonium - Honestly I loved this show for similar reasons to Lie, and in another year it would've taken #1. Hell, if I watched this before Lie I might even be switching them around. It's not as emotional but the relationship between Kumiko and Reina was so genuine and well done. That coupled with Kyoani's fantastic production created a real winner.

3. One Punch Man - I never read either manga (and I plan to..) so I didn't really have a lot of expectations. That said all the hype from other people was really deserved. Great animation + extremely likable characters. Such a simple plot, but executed so well that it really surprised me.

4. Ore Monogatari - Extremely sweet, feel good show. I thought I would get bored halfway through and there were a few times that I thought about giving up, but every time I did something genuinely cute and exciting happened and I was pulled right back in. I usually prefer my romances to have more drama but this was a nice break from the usual and the main pair were so good together. Plus Suna is such a bro.

Last one's rough, there are a lot of shows I want to pick...

5. Oregairu S2 - This show was interesting for me. I watched season 1 back when it aired and while I enjoyed it, it was kinda one of those shows I just forgot about right afterwards. So when the second season got announced, I was really surprised it got as much hype as it did. People had high expectations and I didn't know what was up, I mean S1 was cool but it didn't really wow me that much. But I ended up being really blown away by this show. Not sure if it's because of the source material getting better or the new studio for it really putting in the effort to make a great show, but talk about a jump in quality between seasons. Now IIRC the final episodes even went past the source material? So season 3 is like... so far away and that makes me sad. Oh also I should apologize to Davincie because I was saying CR was fine for this show, but when I went to my files to prove something it turned out I had Commie subs, even though I thought it was CR this whole time :v:

Honorable Mentions:
Death Parade
Parasyte
Owarimonogatari

RIP Shirobako I promise I will finish you soon.

Funny how the further down my list, the more I wrote for the show lmao

Admoon fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 1, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rodyle posted:

Yes, that's why it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rodyle posted:

Huh? My Love Story just kept getting better. Most of my favorite episodes are in the back half.

• Locked thread