Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm wondering if the next expansion will add more branching job options. Would be a nice way to breathe more life into some of the classes. Gladiator could lead to Rune Knight, Conjurer to Geomancer, Pugilist to Dancer, etc. Of course, that's the issue of what to do with Arcanist and the HW job classes - wouldn't want them to feel like they get left out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
They already said they've been looking for a way to remove classes entirely, and have only jobs.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Yeah, I think Yoship has explicitly said that making ACN branching was a bad idea because of stuff like stat allocation and the fact that it effectively gives you double the 'power' other classes do.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Gearhead posted:

We have a biiiig world we have yet to explore... and the Triad is a ticking bomb about to go off. I could easily see it getting so bad that the Empire joins forces with us to STOP the Triad. It benefits utterly no one if Sephirot, Zurvan and Sophia run uncontested... and I'm not sure even we can stop them with all the other elements in play.

I'd like to see that, an uneasy team-up with the empire could be interesting.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
team up with the empire and the beast tribes for a triple triad

hurr hurr hurr

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Yoshi-p has actually said the opposite of that and that he wants to do something similar in concept to WoW talents for possible 4.0+

I've posted this quote so many times in this thread it's embarrassing.

quote:

Final Fantasy XIV’s core concept is to have the freedom to play each role through the Armoury System, so we may explore new directions through a skill tree, in which the player’s job will be determined by what actions have been obtained. Needless to say these won’t be immediate changes, but we will continue to work on creating jobs that are in line with Final Fantasy in a system that is very much like Final Fantasy.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Belzac posted:

Yoshi-p has actually said the opposite of that and that he wants to do something similar in concept to WoW talents for possible 4.0+

That doesn't contradict anything I've said; I was only talking about the class/job system as currently implemented where you have a lovely version with more cross-class and a good version with less cross-class, not about customization in general. I've never played WoW but as long as you can respec relatively easily I think it'd be a good idea.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

They need to double the size of the Armory Chest before they think about adding more jobs at all.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Leofish posted:

Hey, so I wonder if we're going to get some Louis Vuitton branded items in the cash shop in the new year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...n-a6792461.html

Long story short, Lightning from FFXIII is apparently going to be a campaign model for Louis Vuitton in the spring.

LV Brown Dye?

So Toriyama managed to land a modelling gig for his digital waifu? Nice.

Ederick
Jan 2, 2013
I've been debating on buying this game from the Humble Bundle for a while. Tried playing the 14-day trial when Heavensward came out and it seemed almost too laid back. Played a Thaumaturge up to about level 15 and a Lancer to about 5 before getting bored because it seemed too simple in the "I can just spam one skill and not even have to worry about dying" sense, along with the story being kinda bland. Does it get better after some time? Any particularly fun or engaging classes to start the game with? For some background, the only other MMOs I've ever really "got" were Phantasy Star Online as a Force and Guild Wars 2 as a Ranger.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

vOv posted:

That doesn't contradict anything I've said; I was only talking about the class/job system as currently implemented where you have a lovely version with more cross-class and a good version with less cross-class, not about customization in general. I've never played WoW but as long as you can respec relatively easily I think it'd be a good idea.

That's probably for the best, because this game, while as fun as it can be, really shows its WoW formula copy/paste from time to time leading me to a quick burnout after spending a decade in Azeroth. There's a whole mess this game could be doing better in a lot of different ways, but goddamn they gotta make sure they pray at their WoWshrine when it comes to development. I feel like I'm walking backwards through the poo poo Blizzard messed up and then spent a few years unfucking only to watch XIV do the same thing, but embrace it.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Belrouze posted:

That's probably for the best, because this game, while as fun as it can be, really shows its WoW formula copy/paste from time to time leading me to a quick burnout after spending a decade in Azeroth. There's a whole mess this game could be doing better in a lot of different ways, but goddamn they gotta make sure they pray at their WoWshrine when it comes to development. I feel like I'm walking backwards through the poo poo Blizzard messed up and then spent a few years unfucking only to watch XIV do the same thing, but embrace it.

To be fair, it's an improvement over the shrine to Everquest it was in 1.0.

Hunter Noventa posted:

They need to double the size of the Armory Chest before they think about adding more jobs at all.

There's a lot on the back end they have to do to fix that. There is a TON of wasted space and bad coding tied up in the armory system and they simply have not had time to unfuck it. Each character object and how the system handles their inventories, class progression states and statistics is MONSTROUSLY bloated. If the numbers I've heard thrown around are accurate, there is no 'base' character that modifications are put on. Each class in effect has its own set of stats independent of the others.. meaning that one character is treated as being over a dozen with a single, shared inventory.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 1, 2016

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Belzac posted:

Yoshi can say that if he wants but there's no way they're actually going to go that far anytime soon.

It's also completely unrelated to whether or not they want to get rid of classes.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
How is it unrealated to classes? The class would be the base and depending on what you pick you become a job. That's classes and jobs bro. It'll just give more classes the option to play different jobs.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Ederick posted:

I've been debating on buying this game from the Humble Bundle for a while. Tried playing the 14-day trial when Heavensward came out and it seemed almost too laid back. Played a Thaumaturge up to about level 15 and a Lancer to about 5 before getting bored because it seemed too simple in the "I can just spam one skill and not even have to worry about dying" sense, along with the story being kinda bland. Does it get better after some time? Any particularly fun or engaging classes to start the game with? For some background, the only other MMOs I've ever really "got" were Phantasy Star Online as a Force and Guild Wars 2 as a Ranger.

BLM (pre lv50 anyway) is probably the most simple class in the game. If you want something more engaging, try monk, ninja or summoner as those make you to press a lot of buttons and watch cooldowns. Sorry wise, it picks up around lv 35-40ish and gets pretty good from there.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ederick posted:

I dunno about the games you've played, but low levels in this game are intentionally designed as Baby's First MMO. Class mechanics (and various other concepts) get introduced very gradually and many of them don't have a full "toolkit" until 40+, but when they get there they're pretty engaging to play. The 2.5 second global cooldown is slow at first, but as you get off-GCD abilities you start having to press keys more often while dodging bad stuff and so on. The Humble Bundle comes with a month of game time, you should try it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Belzac posted:

You can kind of tell that class traits are the leftovers of a scrapped talent system. In any case, they're going to have to implement some kind of meaningful customization system, because I don't think very many people are content with every monk being exactly the same.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
JUST GIVE

ONE CHAKRA STACK

REFRESHING GL3

YOU HAD ONE JOB

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

You can kind of tell that class traits are the leftovers of a scrapped talent system. In any case, they're going to have to implement some kind of meaningful customization system, because I don't think very many people are content with every monk being exactly the same.

Is that really an issue? The point of customization, as I see it, is to allow you to try out a few different playstyles without having to make an alt. FFXIV already has that via the armory system.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

cheetah7071 posted:

Is that really an issue? The point of customization, as I see it, is to allow you to try out a few different playstyles without having to make an alt. FFXIV already has that via the armory system.

Not really, the point is to give you options on how to change your playstyle while retaining core elements. In WoW, for instance, a Paladin can take a talent that is passive to reduce their existing defensive cooldowns or a different, active talent that gives them a new defensive CD to use. Cross-class abilities are as close as we get to this but most jobs have a pretty small list that they can take and a lot of classes have mandatory ones (hi, provoke). The armory system isn't customization so much because every monk is the same as the next.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Belzac posted:

How is it unrealated to classes? The class would be the base and depending on what you pick you become a job. That's classes and jobs bro. It'll just give more classes the option to play different jobs.

What you just described is 1.0 cross classing, essentially.

What Yoshida (very briefly) described sounds more like you have your character and a big bucket of skills, and based on the skills you slap onto your bars the game determines what job you are.

Incidentally, both of those systems sound terrible for an MMO.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
If you want to read into it that way. It sounds more to me like old WoW talents where you have different sets of abilities per class and you have a limited number you can pick. Whatever you picked the most of becomes your job. So you could have a PLD that is 100% all defense and a PLD that is 51% defense and 49% offense. Both are PLD but have different customization options.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

some nice drama happening on Excal right now:

http://imgur.com/a/a7P3P

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Kettlepip posted:

it is TTOYL 2016 and people don't know how to take screenshots

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

For serious, PRT SCR is short for print screen

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Pews posted:

it is TTOYL 2016 and people don't know how to take screenshots

Probably on console.

Wonder what idiot let that happen? Someone had to give him rights in the first place.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The funny thing about talents is that someone always finds the best configuration and that's what 90% of the population goes with, but I don't think most people care about that. People prefer the illusion of choice over no choice at all.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

vOv posted:

Yeah, I think Yoship has explicitly said that making ACN branching was a bad idea because of stuff like stat allocation and the fact that it effectively gives you double the 'power' other classes do.

I feel like the simplest way to do this would be to cap every Class at level 30, and make all the Jobs work like the HW Jobs. That way Summoner and Scholar can have their own traits and XP bars, and you can fiddle with one branch without impacting the other because neither of them is actually an Arcanist anymore, they're a 30+ Job that happens to have a lot of the same abilities and traits of Arcanist as backfilled pre-30 stuff.

Then branching classes into multiple jobs becomes a lot more viable.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

The funny thing about talents is that someone always finds the best configuration and that's what 90% of the population goes with, but I don't think most people care about that. People prefer the illusion of choice over no choice at all.

I prefer no choice, at least in that situation, where you choices are "google what the correct build is, or make mistakes". SWTOR coolly realized that when it moved away from skill trees to the discipline system, where you just linearly unlock new abilities as you level.

I enjoy that FF14 gives you few options to make bad choices and just kind of forces you to be built correctly. If they add in skill trees, I'll, I'll, I'll, well I'll keep playing as much as I currently do of course, I'll just bitch about it

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Capping base classes at 30 means a complete rework or scrapping of the entire cross class ability system

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I wouldn't really mind a shortening of the levels. A big problem (that keeps coming up because of duty roulette) is how abilities that should be pretty core to doing your job are obtained so late. Yeah it totally makes sense for your tank stance to be a level 40 skill!

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

LegionAreI posted:

Probably on console.

Wonder what idiot let that happen? Someone had to give him rights in the first place.

Fair enough, there is a dedicated button on PS4 controller for screenshots tho. dunno about ps3

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pews posted:

dunno about ps3

L1+Select dumps a screenshot into the Photos section of the XMB.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Kettlepip posted:

What FC was this?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What FC was this?
One of the screenshots shows "You are discharged from 'Final Limit Break.'"

I guess they were just watching all that happen? Kinda sad.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I really like FFXIV being an alternative to WoW. Talent specs suck because it feels like you get half of a class and then with talents, you get another 1/3 but never the completeness that FFXIX classes have. Cross class skills are a good example of what happens when give people a choice (mandatory skills).

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I feel like the way WoW does talents right now is pretty alright and FFXIV could have a similar system through job stones or something, if they wanted to actually give players "builds" to choose from.
If you haven't paid any attention to WoW in years (and I don't blame you), they got rid of talent trees entirely. Now you have a class and a specialization, and every X levels you choose from one of three talents, and generally there's either a clear "best" talent for what you're doing or they're all not really major contributors to anything.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kettlepip posted:

Well, so long as it isn't a goon FC.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, so long as it isn't a goon FC.

That same person tried getting into at least one of the goon FCs today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Kettlepip posted:

I was in a Diadem with that Konata guy.

He was real bad at the game.

• Locked thread