Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

pram posted:

omfg that perms toggle thing :whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
did we do it? was this the year? what's left for linux to achieve in 2016? mods???

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
2016 the year of a macbook on my desk

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i have great news to share, theres finally a unix fit for a desktop. yes thats right, all the power of unix with fantastic usability and taste. the name you ask? apple operating system x 10.11.2 'el capitan'

pram
Jun 10, 2001
and heres the best part: its free!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

next year, on the desktop

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

19 minutes until the next year of linux on the desktop begins

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it's time to update the thread

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
it 's still 2015 on the west coast. there is still time!

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Phoenixan posted:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pram posted:

and heres the best part: its free!*

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

OS X is the best linux and it's been on the desktop for a while

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Phoenixan posted:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
2017 year of macbook on the linux

Suspicious Dish posted:

The Year of the Linux Desktop has finally arrived.

the permissions toggle on the right is actually good and i wish it came by default with every linux distro, where is this from?
alternatively and even better please make linux handle permissions in a way that is low effort for dumb desktop users

i just ran into this with lubuntu on homesrevers that need to be usable for computer illiterate normal people. why does ubuntu a self described desktop OS for end users not let you write to any added hard drives after you plug them in and format them by default?
i will have to write "open terminal, type sudo chmod -R og+rwx /mnt/, enter password" on a post it note stuck to the loving servers

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

blowfish posted:

the permissions toggle on the right is actually good and i wish it came by default with every linux distro, where is this from?
alternatively and even better please make linux handle permissions in a way that is low effort for dumb desktop users

i just ran into this with lubuntu on homesrevers that need to be usable for computer illiterate normal people. why does ubuntu a self described desktop OS for end users not let you write to any added hard drives after you plug them in and format them by default?
i will have to write "open terminal, type sudo chmod -R og+rwx /mnt/, enter password" on a post it note stuck to the loving servers

just look at the group that is associated with the /mnt directory, grant it write permissions if it doesn't already have it, and then add whatever user you want to be able to write to drives to that group. when you create new users add them to that group. alternately, you can lock it down further by creating a group just for that purpose, and change the group to that

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

just look at the group that is associated with the /mnt directory, grant it write permissions if it doesn't already have it, and then add whatever user you want to be able to write to drives to that group. when you create new users add them to that group. alternately, you can lock it down further by creating a group just for that purpose, and change the group to that

I already chowned /mnt/ but I have to do it again every time I add a drive for some reason

e: and in ubuntu a desktop os for computer illiterate end users in tyool 2015 everything should be writable to the user who plugs it in or formats it by default. at the very least there should be an option in the right click menu to make directories writable that asks for your password to sudo things in the background

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 1, 2016

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blowfish posted:

because you are relying on the desktop's automount, but installed "lubuntu" and lxde is self-described as "lightweight" aka totally loving featureless

kde and gnome will handle this correctly because they have "bloat" (working features)

p.s. you can manually configure this the old-timey way if you insist on using a neutered 1990s desktop: autofs.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blowfish posted:

I already chowned /mnt/ but I have to do it again every time I add a drive for some reason

/mnt is a directory in the root filesystem. it has permissions entries in the root filesystem. after you mount something at /mnt, you get the permissions for '.' in the mounted filesystem, and /mnt is no longer a directory in the root filesystem.

that is how mount points work

it is how mount points have always worked

blowfish posted:

e: and in ubuntu a desktop os for computer illiterate end users in tyool 2015 everything should be writable to the user who plugs it in or formats it by default.

if you install a full-featured desktop this is exactly what happens.

your problem is 100% self-inflicted

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Thanks mods for doing the needful, the deadline has been extended one more year to achieve dominance

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

come on, it says right in the url!!!!!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
hey guys i went out of my way to install a lightweight desktop designed for chinese shitboxes

linux is so loving bad, there are no desktop features!!!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

blowfish posted:

unix perms are already handled well in a good os FYI

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

kde and gnome will handle this correctly because they have "bloat" (working features)

do you know the name of whatever thing they use to accomplish this? or is it just autofs?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

There Will Be Penalty posted:

do you know the name of whatever thing they use to accomplish this? or is it just autofs?

kde talks to udisks2 via dbus

gnome probably does the same thing but i'm not sure

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
in a good linux on the desktop, os x, when you plug in a removable disk and it is automounted, it defaults to "ignore privilege" mode, which does about what youd think

fstab is vestigial in os x, so much so its been years since you got a fstab file at all in the default installation. hardly anybody is ever forced to create one because automount+ignore privs covers 99.99% of desktop use cases

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hey guys i went out of my way to install a lightweight desktop designed for chinese shitboxes

linux is so loving bad, there are no desktop features!!!

me: hey it's a server and needs nothing beyond minimal GUI, let's install a minimal desktop environment what could possibly go wrong :pram:

though yeah this is a good point and i should probably switch to a better desktop, i didn't realise "no bloat so it runs on ten year old shitboxes" went so far as to include "won't give you write permissions for things"

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
is gnome 3 even that hardware intensive?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Phoenixan posted:

is gnome 3 even that hardware intensive?

it requires opengl acceleration.

kde doesn't, though.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blowfish posted:

though yeah this is a good point and i should probably switch to a better desktop, i didn't realise "no bloat so it runs on ten year old shitboxes" went so far as to include "won't give you write permissions for things"

it's not like kde and gnome sat down and said "gee how can we consume extra resources"

neckbeards raving about "bloat" drive me crazy. google chrome will consume more system resources than pretty much everything the desktop does combined, but you don't see people using "minimal" "lightweight" web browsers

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
hey linux0rs someone please make my magic trackpad work properly

it pairs no problem, hard click works, tap 2 click, scrolling, etc, of all kinds, do not work.

i kind of suspect that it's being treated like a mouse instead of a synaptics thing but i dont know how to confirm that and i rly don't want to learn much about xorg input stuff.

pre:
dmesg | grep Magic
[  728.859291] hid-generic 0003:05AC:0265.0005: hiddev0,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Device [Apple Inc. Magic Trackpad 2] on usb-0000:00:14.0-2/input0
[  728.860464] input: Apple Inc. Magic Trackpad 2 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-2/1-2:1.1/0003:05AC:0265.0006/input/input18
[  728.860847] hid-generic 0003:05AC:0265.0006: input,hiddev0,hidraw1: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Apple Inc. Magic Trackpad 2] on usb-0000:00:14.0-2/input1
[  728.862030] hid-generic 0003:05AC:0265.0007: hiddev0,hidraw2: USB HID v1.10 Device [Apple Inc. Magic Trackpad 2] on usb-0000:00:14.0-2/input2
[  728.863208] hid-generic 0003:05AC:0265.0008: hiddev0,hidraw3: USB HID v1.10 Device [Apple Inc. Magic Trackpad 2] on usb-0000:00:14.0-2/input3
[  787.773037] input: Magic Trackpad 2 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-7/1-7:1.0/bluetooth/hci0/hci0:256/0005:004C:0265.0009/input/input19
[  787.774173] hid-generic 0005:004C:0265.0009: input,hidraw0: BLUETOOTH HID v0.62 Mouse [Magic Trackpad 2] on 60:57:18:cf:33:24

supposedly i need to install the hid_magicmouse kernel module. i did `sudo modprobe hid_magicmouse` and it gives me no failures, but when i reboot, i don't see any indication of it when i do lsmod

this is the limit of my linux ability. someone please help

(I am on fedora 22)

e: also, xinput --list

code:
Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                id=13   [slave  pointer  (2)]
TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint                     id=14   [slave  pointer  (2)]
Magic Trackpad 2                          id=16   [slave  pointer  (2)]

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 2, 2016

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not like kde and gnome sat down and said "gee how can we consume extra resources"

neckbeards raving about "bloat" drive me crazy. google chrome will consume more system resources than pretty much everything the desktop does combined, but you don't see people using "minimal" "lightweight" web browsers

i think when sane people complain about bloat, they're really complaining about system complexity and not system resources.

but really caring too much about either one in your desktop OS is pretty silly.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM#Features

quote:

Volume management (mount/unmount/eject, requires gvfs) with optional automounting

looks like the lxde filemanager has the feature. probably missing gvfs or some of the other packages that do the actual mounting work.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

hey linux0rs someone please make my magic trackpad work properly

it pairs no problem, hard click works, tap 2 click, scrolling, etc, of all kinds, do not work.

i kind of suspect that it's being treated like a mouse instead of a synaptics thing but i dont know how to confirm that and i rly don't want to learn much about xorg input stuff.

it looks like the the hid-magicmouse driver doesn't support magic trackpad 2 yet, so the hid-generic driver is binding instead.

notably there's no ID for it in the hid-ids header:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/hid/hid-ids.h#L74-L76

since the new ones support "force touch" and poo poo i'm betting it's all weird and apple-proprietary.

if i were you, i would go buy an original magic trackpad while they're still available.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it looks like the the hid-magicmouse driver doesn't support magic trackpad 2 yet, so the hid-generic driver is binding instead.

notably there's no ID for it in the hid-ids header:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/hid/hid-ids.h#L74-L76

since the new ones support "force touch" and poo poo i'm betting it's all weird and apple-proprietary.

if i were you, i would go buy an original magic trackpad while they're still available.

i had a feeling this might be the case, thanks

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i dont suppose i can force it to use the other driver somehow

i don't really care about anything fancy working because i dont use gestures, i just want two finger scrolling to work

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 2, 2016

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i dont suppose i can force it to use the other driver somehow

i don't really care about anything fancy working because i dont use gestures, i just want two finger scrolling to work

ok so there are two layers here

1. there is a kernel driver that takes stuff off the usb bus and makes it into an event stream. this appears to be the part that is broken for you. i think a new driver is probably required for the magic trackpad 2.

notably, the wired, non-bluetooth version of apple's force touch doohickey required a brand new driver.

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/hid/hid-apple.c

you could try patching the kernel to make hid-apple bind to your device. i don't know if it would work, but it seems a lot more likely than getting hid-magicmouse to work.

2. there is an Xorg driver that takes a low level event stream and makes it into clicks and touches and taps. this is probably also broken, but you're not getting far enough for it to matter. you can fix that part easily, though:
    code:
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier      "all the touchpads"
            MatchIsTouchpad "on"
            Driver          "synaptics"
            Option          "TapButton1"    "1"
            Option          "TapButton2"    "2"
            Option          "TapButton3"    "3"
            Option          "VertTwoFingerScroll"   "1"
            Option          "HorizTwoFingerScroll"  "1"
            Option          "PalmDetect"            "1"
    EndSection

stuff that into a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and you should be good to go on the X11 side

i don't know why distributions don't do this by default. are there a lot of people out there using some non-synaptics touchpad driver?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
or you could just buy last year's mouse, which costs less and already works without patching your kernel or filing bug reports

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Yeah I tried the catchall approach and it doesn't work.

Perhaps gnome or KDE are overriding some setting there, though, because the configuration i stuck in there also isn't being applied to the touchpad built into my thinkpad.

if i cant make this work in the next hour or so i'll just order the old touchpad.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Yeah I tried the catchall approach and it doesn't work.

we already know for sure that you have a kernel driver problem

i mentioned the Xorg end of things just so you wouldn't stumble over that in the event that you successfully got hid-apple to bind to the device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we already know for sure that you have a kernel driver problem

i mentioned the Xorg end of things just so you wouldn't stumble over that in the event that you successfully got hid-apple to bind to the device

oh gotcha, i'm a dummy.

yeah i'm giving up on this, i'm not at all interested in dealing with kernel stuff. thanks 4 you are help, bsd