Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

khy posted:

Is that this one because it says this might be buggy or something IDK http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11309

Yeah, that's the one I think. It'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

skasion posted:

I'm a bit surprised that dwarves don't smoke, in Tolkien they're lighting up all day.

"I'm hungry after smoking *fat blunt*"

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Do tamed giant cave spiders still not web invaders? I was thinking of putting some behind fortifications and using them as an early warning/crowd control system, but I saw an unverified(?) note on the DF wiki that they may not.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They web invaders just fine; I think there just has to be a valid pathway between the spider and the target.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I haven't played in ages, but suddenly have the urge to dwarf again. I was reading the wiki, and the fact that pigs apparently don't need pastures interested me. I've decided to found a fortress named "Dinnerfork, the Eternal Wonders of Pigs". I am spending a bunch of embark points on 10 sows and 1 boar. Any fun ideas for a pig fortress? I definitely want to get a meat and milk industry up.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 1, 2016

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

A pig's head shaped entrance.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Enterance should be hewn out of stone, leaving curved stone pillars as a ribcage around it.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Scaled up piggy bank with as many coins as you can get.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Survive only on meat. No planting allowed except for non edibles to brew.

e: edit the raws so you can use meat to build walls. Build your fortress out of meat.

e: also meat clothing and meat armor. Bone weapons.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 1, 2016

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Sankis posted:

e: edit the raws so you can use meat to build walls. Build your fortress out of meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Someday , it will be possible...

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Still adventuring and sometimes I come across Forest Retreats that seem to crash the game whenever I get too close to one of the taverns

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Could you make a breeding room where the tiny piglets fall through the floor when born for easy sorting?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Sankis posted:

e: also meat clothing and meat armor. Bone weapons.

I wonder if you could make an alcoholic beverage made from meat, or maybe bones or something.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you can.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Slime posted:

I wonder if you could make an alcoholic beverage made from meat, or maybe bones or something.

Who wants to be the first to mod in Kumis?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Filthy Monkey posted:

I haven't played in ages, but suddenly have the urge to dwarf again. I was reading the wiki, and the fact that pigs apparently don't need pastures interested me. I've decided to found a fortress named "Dinnerfork, the Eternal Wonders of Pigs". I am spending a bunch of embark points on 10 sows and 1 boar. Any fun ideas for a pig fortress? I definitely want to get a meat and milk industry up.

I think its a law of the dwarfiverse that if you embark with only one male animal that animal will be sterile or homosexual. Take two boars.

I've been embarking with pigs for a while now though, they do seem to be by far the most convenient animal to mass farm for meat, leather and bones.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Captain Mediocre posted:

I think its a law of the dwarfiverse that if you embark with only one male animal that animal will be sterile or homosexual. Take two boars.

I've been embarking with pigs for a while now though, they do seem to be by far the most convenient animal to mass farm for meat, leather and bones.

What's the best way to handle them in practice? Do you just slaughter boars and leave the sows to reproduce exponentially? Also what's the best way to organize them without too much clutter?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Captain Mediocre posted:

Personally I prefer to grab some alpacas and llamas for a combined animal industry and build some pens but on hostile biomes or when my civ starts off at war with another I will bring piggies if I can afford it.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
An elven caravan arrived at my fortress but the list of goods I can move to the depot has nothing but logs and charcoal. While I appreciate the subtle hint the game is trying to give me, I wonder if there's something buggy there. Would anyone know? I literally only have categories "All", "Wood" and "Misc". And they contain nothing but what I said.

eh, nevemind, solved it

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Lawman 0 posted:

Personally I prefer to grab some alpacas and llamas for a combined animal industry and build some pens but on hostile biomes or when my civ starts off at war with another I will bring piggies if I can afford it.

Yeah, but alpacas and llamas are grazers, while pigs aren't, and barring modding they're the only non-grazer milkable animals.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
I made a mess.

The tavern seems to take priority over any other meeting point so even though I am hosting Hydra vs Goblin fights in the arena there are no spectators. :(

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

darthbob88 posted:

Yeah, but alpacas and llamas are grazers, while pigs aren't, and barring modding they're the only non-grazer milkable animals.

Yeah but I just stick them outside in walled pens and pasture the extras in random places outside for detecting ambushes and distracting other hostiles. :greencube:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Also a new dfhack alpha just dropped for df 42.04

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Mad Pills posted:

I made a mess.

The tavern seems to take priority over any other meeting point so even though I am hosting Hydra vs Goblin fights in the arena there are no spectators. :(

solution: host hydra vs goblin fights in your tavern instead.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mad Pills posted:

I made a mess.

How many accidents have there been involving the exposed magma river?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Lawman 0 posted:

Also a new dfhack alpha just dropped for df 42.04

caem her 2 post dis

Mad Pills posted:

I made a mess.

Oh man that's a baller fort.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Yeah that's a pretty great layout. It reminds me of the 2D versions. I still mostly build very small on multiple z-levels.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like having most of my stuff on one Z level just because its easier to keep track of it that way.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
DFhack for 42.04 seems to be working okay.

All the poets and whatever that I've let be permanent residents are shuffling into my mayor's office and applying for real citizenship. Afterwards I can assign any labor I want to them and they get a room in the regular bedroom area (as opposed to needing a tavern room). Nice!

There's a goblin poet who 40 years ago was fighting against my civ (and has 10 dwarf kills!), but looking at legends it looks like she switched sides and helped defend dwarf sites a few times - didn't manage to kill any goblins though. I decided to let her earn her keep and let her into my group/civ and drafted her as a hammergoblin - service guarantees citizenship.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I don't think I've ever built a fort that wasn't essentially a 20x20x20 cube with stairs every 10. Once you get used to it, it's a lot easier to have "bedroom floors 1-5" and "the food stockpile floor" etc. instead of big wings.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I can't get any rulers to accept me as a performer even after I tell them poetry that they like. They keep on saying they want to see something impressive.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Filthy Monkey posted:

I just did this yesterday although I was much more conservative with 6/1. I regret it greatly.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Muscle Tracer posted:

I don't think I've ever built a fort that wasn't essentially a 20x20x20 cube with stairs every 10. Once you get used to it, it's a lot easier to have "bedroom floors 1-5" and "the food stockpile floor" etc. instead of big wings.

Easier sure, but having one big floor of massive wings is a lot cooler to look at. I love having the majority of the fort's activity visible on one screen, efficiency be damned.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Demiurge4 posted:

What's the best way to handle them in practice? Do you just slaughter boars and leave the sows to reproduce exponentially? Also what's the best way to organize them without too much clutter?

I dig a room for them underground next to the kitchens, zone the whole room as a pasture and just shove all the pigs in there forever and leave them be. Then as you say, just pick off some of the males whenever I need to. Once the first few generations of sows have grown up they reproduce at a much greater rate than you'll ever need to use them, and I usually speed things up by ordering more sows from the caravans anyway. They don't seem to fight each other so you can pasture tonnes of them together in a small room no problem.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Filthy Monkey posted:

[TRAINABLE]

Sadly, dwarves will not actually ride the pigs yet :(

Captain Mediocre posted:

I dig a room for them underground next to the kitchens, zone the whole room as a pasture and just shove all the pigs in there forever and leave them be. Then as you say, just pick off some of the males whenever I need to. Once the first few generations of sows have grown up they reproduce at a much greater rate than you'll ever need to use them, and I usually speed things up by ordering more sows from the caravans anyway. They don't seem to fight each other so you can pasture tonnes of them together in a small room no problem.

Leave it to Dwarf Fortress players to invent factory farming.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Esme posted:

[TRAINABLE]

Sadly, dwarves will not actually ride the pigs yet :(

Leave it to Dwarf Fortress players to invent factory farming.

Look up 'crocsplosion'

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Lareine posted:

I can't get any rulers to accept me as a performer even after I tell them poetry that they like. They keep on saying they want to see something impressive.

They gotta really like it. You need to have some pretty-good skills to be an official performer. Keep trying.

Also I think smaller sites won't be as difficult as the larger towns and poo poo.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I too do this and whilst I am a very creative person and enjoy seeing all of the great designs and ideas people come up with I have come to the conclusion that I am a perfectionist and strive for efficiency over aesthetics.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Too me, the idea of trying to make Dwarf Fortress efficient is an exercise in futility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like to keep efficiency in mind while still going with aesthetics I like. I usually have a main entryway leading to an intersection which leads to the dining hall (with food production right above dropping food down onto a quantum stockpile and drink production right under), a hallway leading to bedroom floors, and a hallway leading to production floors (usually 3-4).

My efficiency is I use as many quantum stockpiles as I can.