Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Acaila posted:

Not sure if next film speculation is ok in here, but Episode 8 will be filming in Iceland apparently.

Good thing to bring up since episode 8 filming begins within the next week or two. Should this thread be updated to be the general Episode 8 spoilers thread while the other one is the general non-spoiler one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

starkebn posted:

Back off the kool-aid buddy. The scary bad men just seemed to act so stupidly during the film I want to find justifications to find them scary other than they're literally Nazis.

Doesn't it seem significant that they're failing at being scary? Almost every FO character that the camera focuses on is a baby-face. Jojen Reed in the control room, the captain giving bad news to Kylo, and Hux himself, none of them even need to own a razor. They even panic and flee Starkiller as it's going down. Contrast that to grizzled, old Tarkin and his "Evacuate? In our moment of triumph?" scene.

I agree that the First Order is a bunch of kids trying and failing to copy the Galactic Empire. But to me it seems intentional rather than an error by the film.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Teek posted:

Good thing to bring up since episode 8 filming begins within the next week or two. Should this thread be updated to be the general Episode 8 spoilers thread while the other one is the general non-spoiler one?

That's the idea, yes.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Teek posted:

drat, didn't they finish filming for TFA in November? With the media blitz and everything that's not a lot of time off for anyone involved.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Demiurge4 posted:

drat, didn't they finish filming for TFA in November? With the media blitz and everything that's not a lot of time off for anyone involved.

What the hell? This is not how films work. Surely you mean November a year or two years ago.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Demiurge4 posted:

I don't think so, JJ finished the edit in November I think. Main TFA filming wrapped in November of 2014.

Edit: Looking into it, started filming mid-May and ended at the beginning of November. So 5 1/2 months, episode 8 I'm guessing runs through this June.

Teek fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 2, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The filming was done a while back. You might be thinking of the EDITING process, which I believe ended two months ago.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah it was 2014. My bad.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

They were really cutting it close, but Luke's beard finally came in fully on Dec 15th and they were able to, thankfully, wrap production and send the film out to the movie theaters next day express for the Dec 17 opening showings

The hollywood premiere unfortunately featured a Luke with a much scragglier beard

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jerkface posted:

They were really cutting it close, but Luke's beard finally came in fully on Dec 15th and they were able to, thankfully, wrap production and send the film out to the movie theaters next day express for the Dec 17 opening showings

The hollywood premiere unfortunately featured a Luke with a much scragglier beard
I think you're lying. I'm not sure. But I think.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

So the version that terminally ill guy got to watch was just Luke with a pube stache?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Krispy Kareem posted:

So the version that terminally ill guy got to watch was just Luke with a pube stache?

He died without ever knowing that Luke can grow a full rear end beard

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jerkface posted:

He died without ever knowing that Luke can grow a full rear end beard

Luckily we only see his face beard in the movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

starkebn posted:

Only argument I will accept, but it's just dumb. The bad guys are always extremely dumb and have no military smarts.

Well they are Nazis.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
People unfamiliar with history think that the Nazi state and their war machine were a roboticly efficient juggernaut. After all, their own unrelenting propaganda campaign spent years presenting themselves as such. In reality they were a bunch of unbelievable fuckups that fell rear end backwards into mindbogglingly success. So the Empire being filled with a bunch of incompetent losers is actually realistic.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 2, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Nazis also put too much faith in super weapons.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Something I noticed while rewatching tonight: During Reys flashback in Maz' basement the camera goes to a real low angle and shows one of the Knights of Ren about to strike the cameras POV and before they can swing they are killed by Kylo Ren. This is when it cuts to the wide shot of Kylo Ren and the rest of the Kinghts of Ren in the rain. Sorry if this has already been pointed out but I think it further solidifies the theory that Rey was present for the betrayal and rather than killing her, Kylo instead abandoned her someplace out of the way.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

The MSJ posted:

The new Chewbacca comic reveals that Chewie did get a medal, but it was after the ceremony. It's funny because it kinda reminds me of Hitler shaking hands with Jesse Owens before they left the stadium, and the medal ceremony being inspired by Triumph of The Will.

Chewie then gives the medal away to a little girl he was adventuring with because wearing medals is against his culture or something.

In the Third Draft script, everyone gets a medal, even the droids:

The Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Starkiller, Third Draft posted:

Leia is dressed in a long, white dress and is staggeringly beautiful. She rises and places a gold medallion around Han’s neck, then repeats the ceremony with Chewbacca, the robots and finally Luke. They turn and face the assembled troops, who all bow before them.

If you ask me, the only reason Chewie doesn't get a medal in the film is for pacing reasons, and because Lucas wanted the focus to be on the two characters who actually have fully-fledged heroic character arcs.

Now, you could argue that it's inherently "racist" that Chewie--along with the droids--is relegated to playing second-fiddle to the human characters in the film. But the reality is that he basically is just a guy in a big shaggy dog costume who's there to provide a sense of whimsy and comic relief. In any case, Lucas's explanation was always the same as the EU's explanation:

The Making of Star Wars posted:

“Chewbacca wasn’t given a medal because medals don’t really mean much to Wookiees. They don’t really put too much credence in them. They have different kinds of ceremonies. The Wookiee Chewbacca was in fact given a great prize and honor during a ceremony with his own people. The whole contingent from the Rebel Alliance went to Chewbacca’s people and participated in a very large celebration. It was an honor for the entire Wookiee race.”

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Dr. Poz posted:

Something I noticed while rewatching tonight: During Reys flashback in Maz' basement the camera goes to a real low angle and shows one of the Knights of Ren about to strike the cameras POV and before they can swing they are killed by Kylo Ren. This is when it cuts to the wide shot of Kylo Ren and the rest of the Kinghts of Ren in the rain. Sorry if this has already been pointed out but I think it further solidifies the theory that Rey was present for the betrayal and rather than killing her, Kylo instead abandoned her someplace out of the way.

If that's the case, it would put the Luke's Daughter is Rey theory into question, but if Luke felt all were killed, then perhaps he thought Rey was killed and went to Space Ireland to watch seagulls or something.

I think I still want the theory that Rey is the child of students of Luke to be the truth. It does make the Jedi less Skywalker centric. The Rey is Luke's daughter will probably turn out to be true, so Kylo Ren has a challenge for the legacy of the Skywalkers.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm not crazy about the universe revolving around one family, but it is what it is. At least Solo, Finn and Poe are just cool guys who don't need any stupid prophecies planning out their lives.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dr. Poz posted:

I thought the guy Kylo killed was a Jedi.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
I feel super bad if this got asked a million times but I just got to see the movie:

Do we know why Kylo was hitting himself repeatedly in his ribs/sides during the snowy forest Lightsaber battle? Self-harm?

Fantastic movie.

The MSJ posted:

The shipping is well under way.

These two own but I kinda want Finn to get with everyone.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Bottom Liner posted:

Are you being purposely oblivious to Vader's redemption in RotJ? There's no way in hell this becomes a Kylo Ren redemption story when they used the first movie to make you hate him and see how nuts he is.

and Vader murdered 30 kids. Its like, 95% likely that they give him some sort of redemption story

It might be like Vader and he'll turn at the last minute and sacrifice his life, or, (more likely from what I can guess) they'll go the route of Zuko from Avatar and give him a whole redemption storyline.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Armani posted:

I feel super bad if this got asked a million times but I just got to see the movie:

Do we know why Kylo was hitting himself repeatedly in his ribs/sides during the snowy forest Lightsaber battle? Self-harm?

Because getting hit with CHewie's bowcaster literally explodes people, and they didn't want us to forget how physically and forcally powerfully Kylo Ren was? Also, you know how you rub your arm when someone punches it? Probably something like that.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Armani posted:

Maybe he is hurting himself to make himself angrier and thus more in tune with the Dark Side.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The punching himself in the side was perhaps the most memorable aspect of the character. I wonder if it was in the script or Driver's idea. It's extremely dense in terms of characterization.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
some times when something is hurting you pick at it or slap it because it feels better for the pain to change a bit than to just put up with it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mike N Eich posted:

and Vader murdered 30 kids.

We did not know this when RotJ released.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Bottom Liner posted:

We did not know this when RotJ released.

But you did know he was a murderer/torturer/killer of his father (figure)/party to planetary destruction. Are you saying that RotS undoes Anakin's RotJ redemption? That's real dumb.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 2, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

But you did know he was a murderer/torturer/killer of his father (figure)/party to planetary destruction. Are you saying that RotS undoes Anakin's RotJ redemption? That's real dumb.

We also know he helped hunt down and kill the Jedi, even if that didn't necessarily imply children yet.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I know that this way lies the dark shadow of the Eu and the ridiculousness of the Mos Esley cantina, but I want to know more about Resistance Spy Robot Jazzman. He's too cool for a five-second shot.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Why is it so hard to find pictures of Snoke online? The movie's been out 2 weeks now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why is it so hard to find pictures of Snoke online? The movie's been out 2 weeks now.

Just watch a stream of some lovely cam recording and get them yourself if you want.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Armani posted:

The reverse. Kylo needs negative emotions to use his Dark Side powers, but he's not feeling enough. So every time the wound Chewie gave him stopped hurting he hit it to make himself feel worse.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah this is right after he killed his dad and didn't immediately become a sith legend. He's looking for anything to fuel the dark side.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Poz posted:

Yeah that was my interpretation too. A viewpoint from a low POV, watching Ren save the viewer from someone about to attack.

Ren totally couldn't bear to execute a little 5-year old girl, so he dropped her off on Jakku and rolled out.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fly Molo posted:

Yeah that was my interpretation too. A viewpoint from a low POV, watching Ren save the viewer from someone about to attack.

Ren totally couldn't bear to execute a little 5-year old girl, so he dropped her off on Jakku and rolled out.

Which would explain why he seems so intensely interested in any news from Jakku about a girl.

So essentially this is Snow White and Jakku is the Huntsman who couldn't follow orders.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

If that's the case, it would put the Luke's Daughter is Rey theory into question, but if Luke felt all were killed, then perhaps he thought Rey was killed and went to Space Ireland to watch seagulls or something.

I think I still want the theory that Rey is the child of students of Luke to be the truth. It does make the Jedi less Skywalker centric. The Rey is Luke's daughter will probably turn out to be true, so Kylo Ren has a challenge for the legacy of the Skywalkers.

That Pablo Hidalgo guy on Twitter said that that wasn't even the same planet as the Jedi Massacre.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wouldn't it be great if these things came across in the film, rather than the pseudo-EU of the crew explaining their intent via tweets and interviews?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They were terrified of having any exposition or political scenes, for fear of seeming like the prequel.

• Locked thread