Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Wicker Man posted:

Drink more. Remember the good times. Wait for death.

Had plenty of fun. The differences being instead of partying it up at a string of bars, or in someones apartment while laughing at cans of beer where Batman is eating a chick out (Red Dog beer logo), we have kick rear end houses to lounge in with good food and some fun party games to play. It's just the random discussions can go into old person ville. Dentures, Mortgages, and Docker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Had some drinks last night, but otherwise stayed relatively sober and responsible. :cheers:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, how embarrassing and pathetic :rolleyes:

loving lmao

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Philthy posted:

Red Dog beer

oh man i forgot about that poo poo, probably one of the top 5 alcoholic beverages marketed to degenerates and/or white trash

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Got a wild hair and had a big bowl of All-Bran Bran Buds (the best cereal) yesterday.

Resulted in two perfect poops! Both of them big but soft, one wipe just to check but not needed.

drat, what a good day. :corsair:

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Neophyte posted:

Got a wild hair and had a big bowl of All-Bran Bran Buds (the best cereal) yesterday.

Resulted in two perfect poops! Both of them big but soft, one wipe just to check but not needed.

Man. Nothing does beat that perfect poo that results in wiping once and realizing you didn't even need to.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
Stayed out til 11pm when I realized I was catching a cold, went home and got into bed feeling ok now

Gonna take it easy and drink tea to keep this cold from lasting too long.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Shadow posted:

Man. Nothing does beat that perfect poo that results in wiping once and realizing you didn't even need to.

a ghoster.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

opus111 posted:

I know I'm old because I can't deal with the poo poo spelling/grammar/phonetically written words that are completely wrong that I see on the internet any more. It makes me sooooo angry!!!

This but with loving names. After teaching for 16 years, I've seen some stupid names. The name Ashley is probably the worst offender.... Ashley fine, but then there's , Ashly, Ashleigh, Ashlee, on and on

However, the tops this year would be:

Sailor Moon (insert last name)
Schuleyer (pronounced Skyler)
Kyemichael... I don't even know

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

jesus christ there's no way someone would do this

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I've experienced cardiac stress tests and colonoscopies. Good times!

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

This but with loving names. After teaching for 16 years, I've seen some stupid names. The name Ashley is probably the worst offender.... Ashley fine, but then there's , Ashly, Ashleigh, Ashlee, on and on

However, the tops this year would be:

Schuleyer (pronounced Skyler)
Kyemichael... I don't even know

This. There are so many ways to spell various names. And heaven help you if you pronounce it wrong.

"Sandor? Do I have a Sandor here?"

:colbert: "It's pronounced Shann-doo!"

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 1, 2016

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong

genesplicer posted:

I've experienced cardiac stress tests and colonoscopies. Good times!

i think i'm in the age range where i'm supposed to start getting my pooper checked but i'll probably just wait for the doctor to recommend it. so far just blood and poop come out so i'm okay

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
gotta get that prostate exam brother

let the doctor finger your butt

you might even enjoy it

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong

genesplicer posted:

well they have a real shan-do attitude

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong

Zzulu posted:

you might even enjoy it

oh there's no doubt about it but i gotta get over my weirdness over paying for it for a change

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
45 here.
A little fatter, a little balder, but a bigger paycheck.
I got hair growing in wierd places, drive (slightly) slower, and yell at people to get off their drat phones and drive.

Neophyte posted:

Pro-tip: A scoop of Benefiber in the morning coffee does loving wonders! I look forward to a solid, one wipe dump every day now.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

genesplicer posted:

Sandor is a cool name. Why make it sound like it was named by an Inuit with a cleft palate?

Christ, people are dumb.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Yeah, I always had a bad stomach, but after 30 things really went to poo poo to the point I've been letting doctors poke things into holes I didn't used to have things poked into. I'm really hoping it gets solved, but tbh I'm kinda expecting to be stuck with a kinda strict diet for the rest of my life. When I was home over the holidays and found my parents had a bag of prunes, instead of being like "ha ha poop problems", I was happy to see they got the good kind.

On the bright side, my pay grade has increased significantly, I've become more attractive just because having a full head of hair and healthy weight is beating the odds, and the beard I grew so I wouldn't have to shave over the drat bleeding mole just above my lips suddenly has a bit of salt in the pepper and is looking good.

You can get the mole removed for like a couple hundred moles. I wish more people with unfortunate moles knew this.

EDIT: couple hundred bucks

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Recently 39 here. Boomers were loving stupid and I think the Mils are trying to outdo them.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm 33 and think 2016 might be the first year of my life where I don't get IDed for buying booze (in the UK).

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
With age, life gets worse in some respects, and better in others. It's all a matter of attitude and perception vis a vis which way the scales tip.

I fuckin love the way technology advances. The video games I play now are way way way cooler than the monochrome poo poo from the 70s and 80s.

The lovely music I hear nowadays sucks way way way more than the lovely music from the 60s and 70s and 80s.

The beer I drink now is way way way better than the poo poo I guzzled in my teens and twenties.

TV sucks more than ever. It sucked back then, sucks worse now.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Maoist Pussy posted:

You can get the mole removed for like a couple hundred moles. I wish more people with unfortunate moles knew this.

EDIT: couple hundred bucks

it's like twenty bucks here in The Best Country On Earth

no mole is safe

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

dee eight posted:

TV sucks more than ever. It sucked back then, sucks worse now.
it may be because i'm young and stupid but i thought T.V. was getting better lately?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

symbolic posted:

it may be because i'm young and stupid but i thought T.V. was getting better lately?

Nope, it's just that your reference point starts in year 1999 or 2003 or whenever. The golden age was pretty much that, cool poo poo like Twilight Zone, Alcoa theatre, Red Skelton show, Smothers Brothers, Jonathan Winters, Laugh-in, Ed Sullivan, etc etc etc. The high points of the last 2 or 3 decades were fewer and not as high as some of the good poo poo from my day. Especially cartoons. When I was I kid, the stuff I saw was Wolfgang Reitherman, Ub Iwerks, Thimble Theatre, all really good poo poo. Fuckin Hanna Barbera stuff is lowbrow garbage compared to a good Reitherman.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
TV is way better now you doofus

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
48 and been married for 26 years now. Generally happy and kids are doing well.

and I think TV is better now as a whole, but dee eight makes some drat good arguments there.

Baxter fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 2, 2016

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Zzulu posted:

TV is way better now you doofus

If you count streaming netflix without commercials, then I'll concede the point.

Then again, ten thousand cop shows CSI:[insertcitynamehere] and five hundred forty-six daytime talk shows and Judge JUDY/BOB/ROY/WALTER/WANDA JUNE plus the latest late nite tripe (God, I miss Steve Allen) makes me think "No, you're wrong".

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

dee eight posted:

Nope, it's just that your reference point starts in year 1999 or 2003 or whenever. The golden age was pretty much that, cool poo poo like Twilight Zone, Alcoa theatre, Red Skelton show, Smothers Brothers, Jonathan Winters, Laugh-in, Ed Sullivan, etc etc etc. The high points of the last 2 or 3 decades were fewer and not as high as some of the good poo poo from my day. Especially cartoons. When I was I kid, the stuff I saw was Wolfgang Reitherman, Ub Iwerks, Thimble Theatre, all really good poo poo. Fuckin Hanna Barbera stuff is lowbrow garbage compared to a good Reitherman.

The internet does change things, I grudgingly agree with Zzulu, but yeah.

My real question is: is that a reflection of our culture or just the weird director-centric nature of modern TV. Like, the guys who become names of themselves, Aaron Spelling, Joss oval office Whedon. They stay on directing tv shows, they'd never make it in movies (except David Lynch). Like, did the writers' strike just neuter creativity? A lot of new series are just fanfiction of older stuff (including reality tv, holy christ).

Not like I give a gently caress that some guy who was on MASH kicked the bucket, but yeah, was television better because the world of ideas was smaller or because creative types had more freedom?

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I'm a tad over 30; in the best shape I've been in for a while. Shave my balls, eat, drink, and party all I want.
I am older than Genesplicer

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

phasmid posted:

The internet does change things, I grudgingly agree with Zzulu, but yeah.

My real question is: is that a reflection of our culture or just the weird director-centric nature of modern TV. Like, the guys who become names of themselves, Aaron Spelling, Joss oval office Whedon. They stay on directing tv shows, they'd never make it in movies (except David Lynch). Like, did the writers' strike just neuter creativity? A lot of new series are just fanfiction of older stuff (including reality tv, holy christ).

Not like I give a gently caress that some guy who was on MASH kicked the bucket, but yeah, was television better because the world of ideas was smaller or because creative types had more freedom?

I think it's a bit of both, with an added dollop of lowest common denominator. For example, cop shows have always been a major thing on TV with the examples of Dragnet, Hawaii 5-0, Highway Patrol, Hill Street Blues, Miami Vice, ad infinitum. The current glut is probably due to a lack of effort on the part of writers/producers/directors. "COP SHOWS MAKE MONEY LET'S MAKE MORE COP SHOWS AND MAKE MOER MONEY! The 50s and 60s saw the same thing with horse operas. Not that stuff like Gunsmoke and Wanted:Dead or Alive and Wagon Train weren't decent TV, but it was a zeitgeist thing.

I just wish that (good) sci-fi could get a foothold in the same way.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

dee eight posted:

you could have had the best of both worlds if Fox didn't prematurely cancel Firefly

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Creeping up on 31, which is A-OK

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

symbolic posted:

you could have had the best of both worlds if Fox didn't prematurely cancel Firefly

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077066/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

dee eight posted:

I think it's a bit of both, with an added dollop of lowest common denominator. For example, cop shows have always been a major thing on TV with the examples of Dragnet, Hawaii 5-0, Highway Patrol, Hill Street Blues, Miami Vice, ad infinitum. The current glut is probably due to a lack of effort on the part of writers/producers/directors. "COP SHOWS MAKE MONEY LET'S MAKE MORE COP SHOWS AND MAKE MOER MONEY! The 50s and 60s saw the same thing with horse operas. Not that stuff like Gunsmoke and Wanted:Dead or Alive and Wagon Train weren't decent TV, but it was a zeitgeist thing.

With big genres like that (cop shows and westerns) there has to be some cream on top. To my mind, sci-fi has more lowest-common-denominator stuff than many westerns did. It's just reiteration, but now the gunslinger is in a pressure suit and whether it's cream or not has to do with what network success it enjoys and...yeah, just luck. Guess maybe you can fit cowboys into spaceships but not vice versa.

It is partly cultural for sure though, because the Brits make better cop shows than Americans do. Except maybe the Wire and mob dramas (few and far between).

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

phasmid posted:

sci-fi has more lowest-common-denominator stuff than many westerns did

That's because writers outside of the genre tend to suffer from 'Monster Of The Week Syndrome' (see Lost in Space). Early TV sci-fi was more '"space ships and lasers and BEMs!" than thought provoking ideas. The original Star Trek series managed to avoid that to a large degree, with writers like Harlan Ellison, D.C. Fontana, Norman Spinrad, Gerome Bixby, et al.

The first Battlestar Galactica suffered more from casting than writing, in my opinion, but still some of the episodes were horribly scripted and plot continuity was not something I came to expect from one week to the next.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

33 here

Fell asleep at 9 pm on nye

:corsair:

You learn a secret around 28 and that secret is that New Year's Eve loving blows. NYE, St. Pat's, Mardi Gras, Cinco de Mayo, and whatever other Big Drinking Holidays are always the worst times to go out, because it's Amateur Hour at every loving bar.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Let's not forget reality shows which I believe are the downfall of modern society. Way worse than the worst cop show.

Remember good TLC or MTV with videos ? I don't have cable now, but I'd bet History doesn't even have Nazi documentaries anymore.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 2, 2016

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

the downfall of modern society

Every time in history anyone has said this they've been wrong.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I'm cold and there's wolves after me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Being early 30s is ok. You give less of a poo poo about what people think of you, nobody expects you to go partying on NYE, and you start earning decent money.

Bad parts - no longer having the time to listen to new music, biological clock ticking, metabolism slowing down.

Oh and hangovers getting super loving awful.

• Locked thread