Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

k3nn posted:

I really want to make chili, but don't have any onions/garlic and won't be able to get to the shops for a couple of days. Should I just wait til I can get the veg, or should it still be possible to make acceptable chili with just meat/peppers?

If you are a hardliner, chili by definition requires just meat and peppers. It would therefore be possible, but almost certainly rather lame. Onions are pretty essential to chili IMO. Garlic most people like obviously there, though I honestly don't always use it in mine.

You could go full-psycho and use garlic/onion powders to taste, but I can't in good conscience recommend it for reasons that should be obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Without onion and garlic, what reason is there to live?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This thread is making me want to make chili again. After my last attempt ended in disaster, I swore off making chili again for a long time, but I may make another attempt within the month.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This thread is making me want to make chili again. After my last attempt ended in disaster, I swore off making chili again for a long time, but I may make another attempt within the month.

You can't just say that and not give details about what went wrong. How up-to-it are you feeling? Do you want to just try and throw something together really easy, or are you looking to try and really make it your own?

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Is there a consensus on what recipe is the best chili recipe in this thread?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Tony Homo posted:

Is there a consensus on what recipe is the best chili recipe in this thread?

A "consensus"? About chili recipes? Peace in the Middle East is more likely.

Beer4TheBeerGod's effort is a good starting point though - I have made something very similar, and it's loving tasty:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451852&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=46#post451663965

Here is some reasoning as to why something like the above recipe works, with bonus bean-controversy, plus umami & alcohol (azeotropes!) observations:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/01/how-to-make-the-best-chili-ever-recipe-super-bowl.html

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Since I rehydrate and blend my chillies does it matter much if I toast them in advance if they're going to have boiling water poured over them?

Reading that serious eats recipe it seems a bit strange he adds vodka/bourbon immediately before serving

Jose fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 2, 2016

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Jose posted:

Since I rehydrate and blend my chillies does it matter much if I toast them in advance if they're going to have boiling water poured over them?

Reading that serious eats recipe it seems a bit strange he adds vodka/bourbon immediately before serving

With the chilli peppers, probably not. But for the other spices (especially cumin) , boiling will only ever get to ~100°C, dry-toasting in a pan will get way hotter, and change them slightly. The trick is to get it hot enough to see a colour change, and to smell something, but not make it smoke.

The hard booze is to enhance the aroma by lowering vapour temperature before serving. Probably not essential.

But adding a 'strong' beer/stout/porter (strong as in complex flavour, not alcohol) is something you will really notice.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

neogeo0823 posted:

You can't just say that and not give details about what went wrong. How up-to-it are you feeling? Do you want to just try and throw something together really easy, or are you looking to try and really make it your own?

Honestly it kinda went wrong everywhere. Starting with when I forgot to turn down the heat when I mixed my spices with the meat, and then snowballing from there. Also I added Cholula hot sauce by the cup-full for some reason.

The end result was a dry, inedible mess.

The recipe I use is a modification of the Texas Chili Parlor/"Texas Bowl of Red" recipe that was posted earlier in this thread; I'd have to dig up the link to it now. I use pinto beans to thicken the chili instead of masa harina, and I usually add some stuff like beer and Cholula hot sauce. My main hinderance is that the recipe ingredients cost north of $60 every time I make it, and in the three times I've made it, I've never once actually eaten very much of it after cooking, mostly because I'm never very happy with the results. I'm trying to put together a recipe that I can call my own, so my attempts to make it thus far have been attempts to find a recipe I like.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 2, 2016

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

xiansi posted:

A "consensus"? About chili recipes? Peace in the Middle East is more likely.

Beer4TheBeerGod's effort is a good starting point though - I have made something very similar, and it's loving tasty:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451852&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=46#post451663965

Here is some reasoning as to why something like the above recipe works, with bonus bean-controversy, plus umami & alcohol (azeotropes!) observations:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/01/how-to-make-the-best-chili-ever-recipe-super-bowl.html

I'm very upset about the serious eats anti-smokiness position and the marmite, soy, anchovies, and cloves all seemed odd to me. His other stuff seems really good though, I've seriously got to try doing the paste at some point. I probably shouldn't be sacrificing making the best chili I can make just because I've never really noticed a grittiness from the chili powder I've made. I'm also going to have to try browning the short ribs whole and adding bourbon, both of those seem like they could be exciting.

Jose posted:

I think that toasting the chilis is key for really bringing out the flavors, like I said before I don't hydrate them but I still feel like you'd lose some flavor.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Original version of the recipe I use.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/texas-bowl-of-red-recipe.html

I normally sub pinto beans for masa harina and beer for extra beef broth. I also simmer for several hours and add dark chocolate. It usually comes out good, but I'm trying to make it great.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
You don't really need to put a lot of effort into toasting dried chiles. A quick zap in the microwave does the trick fine.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Tendales posted:

You don't really need to put a lot of effort into toasting dried chiles. A quick zap in the microwave does the trick fine.

Its not a lot of effort though? Its literally putting them in a dry pan and waiting for them to start smelling good.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Original version of the recipe I use.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/texas-bowl-of-red-recipe.html

I normally sub pinto beans for masa harina and beer for extra beef broth. I also simmer for several hours and add dark chocolate. It usually comes out good, but I'm trying to make it great.

I would definitely try some other recipes and see how they seem to you. I'm a fan of Iron Leg's chili from the first page, but I also like making Boilermaker chili from time to time. We're actually trying a new recipe tonight for the first time. My wife found it here. Basically, you should try a bunch of recipes, note down what you liked and didn't like about each one, and then try to combine those things into one recipe.

Looking through your post history, it seems like you always get near-perfect chili, then do That One Thing That Fucks It All Up. If I were you, I'd probably reread your posts in the thread and note what those things are. It sounds like you've made some awesome chilis in the past, but always got to the point where it was nearly perfect and just nosedived right over the edge.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LorrdErnie posted:

Its not a lot of effort though? Its literally putting them in a dry pan and waiting for them to start smelling good.

Sure but the more peppers you prepare, the easier it is to just microwave them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I have a Ninja food processor with the vertical blades, but not an actual blender. Can I make chili powder with that?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

I have a Ninja food processor with the vertical blades, but not an actual blender. Can I make chili powder with that?

Yes, but it'll end up with bigger chunks of pepper. I would instead soak them in stock or beer, then blend in your Ninja. You'll end up with chili paste, since the soaking softens the peppers enough for your Ninja to work well.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You could theoretically do it, if you shake your ninja as you're grinding, so the bigger bits move around more. it will take you longer than normal though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Honestly it kinda went wrong everywhere. Starting with when I forgot to turn down the heat when I mixed my spices with the meat, and then snowballing from there. Also I added Cholula hot sauce by the cup-full for some reason.

The end result was a dry, inedible mess.

The recipe I use is a modification of the Texas Chili Parlor/"Texas Bowl of Red" recipe that was posted earlier in this thread; I'd have to dig up the link to it now. I use pinto beans to thicken the chili instead of masa harina, and I usually add some stuff like beer and Cholula hot sauce. My main hinderance is that the recipe ingredients cost north of $60 every time I make it, and in the three times I've made it, I've never once actually eaten very much of it after cooking, mostly because I'm never very happy with the results. I'm trying to put together a recipe that I can call my own, so my attempts to make it thus far have been attempts to find a recipe I like.

At least you're willing to try. Let's back this chilli wagon up for you.

I follow Iron Leg's recipe with some protein modifications. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451852&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post398069581 I get a pound of whatever fatty beef is cheapest, and a pound of beef heart. Then half a pound of my home-made chorizo, but whatever you can get at the store is fine. I do not use ground beef. So my ingredient list looks like this

Glop bacon drippings (free if you save them from bacon making, otherwise use whatever cooking oil you have on hand, aprox 2 tablespoons)
1 pound stew beef ($6-4$ a lb average, try to get it on sale)
1 pound beef heart (7-3$ a lb, again, try to get it on sale)
12 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed, cut into 1/2 cubes (7-5$ a package)
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chili powder
2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced.
2 (14.5 oz) cans beef broth
2 (14.5 oz) cans whole tomatoes, drained
Half a can of coke and half a bottle of the Fat Tire stout.
1 cinnamon stick (can be removed if you don't like cinnamon)
3 bay leaves
2-4 green jalapenos, slit lengthwise.
1 small Datil pepper
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal

So, gently brown up the meat and garlic in half your fat, remove from pot. Fire up that loud Another round of shots TURN DOWN THE POT. Add onions and spices EXCEPT FOR THE FRESH HOT PEPPERS and the second half of your fat, cook slowly until the onions start to turn clear and sweet. DO NOT BROWN. Add meat back, then wet stuff and chopped hot peppers. Cover pot, let BARE SIMMER for at least 3-4 hours. Longer is better. If too thin, cook uncovered for the last 15-30min. This pot should cost you like 25 bucks at most, even if you don't have stuff like onions, can goods, and spices on hand.

You do not want to saute hot peppers unless you are in a very well ventilated area. That poo poo burns. I add them in at the 'simmer' stage.

Beef heart is a cut that benefits from either very short, or very long cooking time. The first few hours of simmering, it's rubber. After hour 4, it's the best bit of meat in the pot.

This chilli gets BETTER the longer it hangs out in the fridge. So if it's a bit too intense when you first make it, put it aside for a day. It will taste great the next day.

Serve with a side of rice and a sprinkle of chopped cillantro. (I actually like to pour a piping hot ladleful over fresh spinach, which wilts and cooks perfectly for your daily shot of green stuff). If you want beans, I'd cook them separately, and have them with my rice.

I don't know why you're adding cups of cholula. Everything in moderation. Cholula is a condiment, to be added after cooking.

\/\/\/Nothing wrong with that at all, but your avatar is oddly fitting \/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 3, 2016

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

For the beef heart another possible source is actually the dogfood section at fancy grocery stores. One of my local stores has nice hormone-free grass fed beef heart for something like $2.50 a pound in their dogfood freezer and that's my go-to for chili meat.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Suspect Bucket posted:

At least you're willing to try. Let's back this chilli wagon up for you.

I follow Iron Leg's recipe with some protein modifications. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451852&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post398069581 I get a pound of whatever fatty beef is cheapest, and a pound of beef heart. Then half a pound of my home-made chorizo, but whatever you can get at the store is fine. I do not use ground beef. So my ingredient list looks like this

Glop bacon drippings (free if you save them from bacon making, otherwise use whatever cooking oil you have on hand, aprox 2 tablespoons)
1 pound stew beef ($6-4$ a lb average, try to get it on sale)
1 pound beef heart (7-3$ a lb, again, try to get it on sale)
12 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed, cut into 1/2 cubes (7-5$ a package)
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chili powder
2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced.
2 (14.5 oz) cans beef broth
2 (14.5 oz) cans whole tomatoes, drained
Half a can of coke and half a bottle of the Fat Tire stout.
1 cinnamon stick (can be removed if you don't like cinnamon)
3 bay leaves
2-4 green jalapenos, slit lengthwise.
1 small Datil pepper
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal

So, gently brown up the meat and garlic in half your fat, remove from pot. Fire up that loud Another round of shots TURN DOWN THE POT. Add onions and spices EXCEPT FOR THE FRESH HOT PEPPERS and the second half of your fat, cook slowly until the onions start to turn clear and sweet. DO NOT BROWN. Add meat back, then wet stuff and chopped hot peppers. Cover pot, let BARE SIMMER for at least 3-4 hours. Longer is better. If too thin, cook uncovered for the last 15-30min. This pot should cost you like 25 bucks at most, even if you don't have stuff like onions, can goods, and spices on hand.

You do not want to saute hot peppers unless you are in a very well ventilated area. That poo poo burns. I add them in at the 'simmer' stage.

Beef heart is a cut that benefits from either very short, or very long cooking time. The first few hours of simmering, it's rubber. After hour 4, it's the best bit of meat in the pot.

This chilli gets BETTER the longer it hangs out in the fridge. So if it's a bit too intense when you first make it, put it aside for a day. It will taste great the next day.

Serve with a side of rice and a sprinkle of chopped cillantro. (I actually like to pour a piping hot ladleful over fresh spinach, which wilts and cooks perfectly for your daily shot of green stuff). If you want beans, I'd cook them separately, and have them with my rice.

I don't know why you're adding cups of cholula. Everything in moderation. Cholula is a condiment, to be added after cooking.

This looks delicious. I've thought about adding Coke and/or chorizo, and this post convinced me to try it next time. I think I'll try the beef heart too. I'd like to try them in my recipe first though, to see how it comes out. I think they'd help liven up the taste (and I wouldn't have to buy 6 pounds of just stew meat).

Not sure about adding onions before cook time. My instinct is to add those to individual servings as a topping, along with cheese, but I guess it couldn't hurt to add a bit during cooking, too.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Not sure about adding onions before cook time. My instinct is to add those to individual servings as a topping, along with cheese, but I guess it couldn't hurt to add a bit during cooking, too.

Cooking onions slow and clear adds a lot of sweetness. They are utterly transformed, it's amazing. Just don't get and brown on them (which are delicious in their own right, but not right for this application). Cooking them with the fat and the spices bloom them up and make them even more delicious.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

LorrdErnie posted:

I'm very upset about the serious eats anti-smokiness position and the marmite, soy, anchovies, and cloves all seemed odd to me. His other stuff seems really good though, I've seriously got to try doing the paste at some point. I probably shouldn't be sacrificing making the best chili I can make just because I've never really noticed a grittiness from the chili powder I've made. I'm also going to have to try browning the short ribs whole and adding bourbon, both of those seem like they could be exciting.

The marmite, soy, and anchovies contribute to the "meaty" flavor. Not so sure about the other spices but might be fun. Browning the short ribs is awesome and I recommend it to everyone.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Finally got cool here in Florida, celebrated with a pot of Hearty Iron Leg chilli!

http://imgur.com/a/65Y3q

The heart stewed up fantastically. It's fantastic. The stew meat is a little dry, bit good. The chorizo melted away into a cloud of delicious.

I heart beef heart.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I'm scared that beef heart will be overpoweringly rich. Please dissuade these fears.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Crazyeyes posted:

I'm scared that beef heart will be overpoweringly rich. Please dissuade these fears.

Heart is a muscle, and practically fat-free - it's super lean. Overpoweringly rich (or rich at all, really) it is not. It's just the beefiest goddamn thing you've ever tasted.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

The Midniter posted:

Heart is a muscle, and practically fat-free - it's super lean. Overpoweringly rich (or rich at all, really) it is not. It's just the beefiest goddamn thing you've ever tasted.

Well I've have chicken hearts and they are very different from standard meat so that's probably where this nonsense is coming from.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Midniter posted:

It's honestly the best bit of meat in the pot. It's just going to take HOURS. Oh, and the house will smell pretty strongly of 'gamey' for the first hour of cooking, so open some windows. Do not be concerned, that is the gameyness leaving the food and entering the air. Just stew it with other strong flavors, like chorizo.

My dad loves this chilli now, and he is NOT fond of Offal. He's fully aware it's beef heart and eats it anyway, that's how well it turned out.

We're here for you, man. For you, and chilli.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Looks like I gotta find a place that sells hearts now...

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crazyeyes posted:

Looks like I gotta find a place that sells hearts now...

My supermarket sells them. Maybe your's does too if you check the right place.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've noticed that a lot of the supermarkets in town that cater to heavily hispanic customer bases are more likely to have beef heart (and other offal, by the by) available so you may want to start there.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It feels weird to me to eat a cow's heart muscle. Is it really that good?

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

It feels weird to me to eat a cow's heart muscle. Is it really that good?

Yes.
By consuming it you gain it's strength. As well as an insatiable hunger for grass and ozone-ruining quantities of gas...but mostly it's just delicious.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

P_T_S posted:

Yes.
By consuming it you gain it's strength. As well as an insatiable hunger for grass and ozone-ruining quantities of gas...but mostly it's just delicious.

This explains the five wheat-grass shots I've done today.Then I plowed a field and fertilized it.

\/\/\/ I cant help but think something's gone terribly wrong in your life if you're throwing the meat in a dish away. An animal DIED so you could buy that, y'know. Why not just make chili beans?\/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 7, 2016

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I made a chili with beans and home made chili powder. Can't wait to eat all the tasty beans and throw the rest away.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
The best thing about chili is forgetting your froze your last batch and later discovering that you have several delicious lunches to bring to work.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I made my first batch using the chili puree method (dried chilis toasted, simmered in chicken stock, then pureed). It's fantastic. It gives the broth a really nice, silky texture that I haven't seen before.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Made myself a batch of chili using a recipe by forums poster scuz, my life has been transformed.

Enourmo posted:

i have never had beanless chili before but NOW I UNDERSTAND

props to scuz for the recipe, this poo poo is delicious

recipe here. I just used off-the-shelf chili powder cause I was short on time/don't own a food processor, but it's still goddamn delicious. I used about 3lb of stew meat, and 1lb of ground chuck I had in my fridge.

So drat tasty.

E: I went a little heavy on the liquid due to inexperience, but it's loving delicious so who cares. A little rice to soak at up and it's a good'un.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 9, 2016

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

This looks delicious. I've thought about adding Coke and/or chorizo, and this post convinced me to try it next time. I think I'll try the beef heart too. I'd like to try them in my recipe first though, to see how it comes out. I think they'd help liven up the taste (and I wouldn't have to buy 6 pounds of just stew meat).

negative, you toss them and garlic into the pot you just browned all the meat off in, it's a perfect vessel to make use of all that good fond. It is glorious and wonderful smelling. Definitely does not over power, and you can chuck a handful of raw on top too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

:getin: