Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Three Olives posted:

All costs the same why would they be angry that that your forced yourself on T-Mobile only coverage? Especially when it is well known that Sprint's network is both poo poo and cheaper than T-Mobile in major metros? They are punishing you for getting worse coverage on T-Mobile?

Good enough is good enough, who cares about LTE data speeds when you are trying to push hundreds of thousands if not millions emails a day.

It's anecdotal but I've found the opposite to be true. In fact, the only way I could force my phone to use Sprint's network was when I was in the middle of nowhere on Highway 287 between Memphis and Estelline Texas by turning th ephone off and on.. the phone had lost signal with T mobile and was saying there was no signal. When I repowered it up it suddenly hooked onto the only network available which was Sprint. It immediately ditched Sprint the first time I got into range of a Tmobile LTE tower outside of Clarendon Texas.

I believe whatever technology they use to switch between networks it prioritizes them this way Wifi > Tmobile > Sprint. Again.. Anecdotal. Perhaps someone else could speak to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
If I were to wager a guess I'd say that it has more to do with the contractual agreements between Google and T-Mobile/sprint. I could easily see there being an agreement not to allow Google's customers to only run on one network.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Anyone have any data on battery life comparison between the 5x and 6p? My wife switched from her iPhone 5, loved the nexus 5x in all respects save the battery life. I moved from a galaxy s5 and I have to admit I too am underwhelmed on the battery life. Just curious if there's a big difference there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ranter posted:

Interesting. Any data to confirm this notion that Google is favoring slower sprint networks over faster t-mobile? Android is open source after all, so hopefully we can just look at the aggregated data and confirm this. At least for the area the tests were conducted in.

What does open source have to do with anything? Open source doesn't mean open access to data.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just a heads up, I think the Project Fi discounts are over with now Ended at 10AM PST. Missed it by an hour, haha.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 30, 2015

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

pass the butter posted:

Anyone have any data on battery life comparison between the 5x and 6p? My wife switched from her iPhone 5, loved the nexus 5x in all respects save the battery life. I moved from a galaxy s5 and I have to admit I too am underwhelmed on the battery life. Just curious if there's a big difference there.

If your 6P is having battery problems compared to your Galaxy S5 I have to wonder what you're doing with it or if possibly you got a dud. I can get 3 days on my 6P sometimes. 1.5 with heavy use.

For reference this is what mine looks like.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Darkpriest667 posted:

If your 6P is having battery problems compared to your Galaxy S5 I have to wonder what you're doing with it or if possibly you got a dud. I can get 3 days on my 6P sometimes. 1.5 with heavy use.

I think what he said is he has a 5x (though it's not clear) in addition to his wifes.

Whatever the case I agree with you, my 6p has fantastic battery life. Easily can go a couple days in between charges, and quick charge gets it right back in a matter of minutes, not hours. I don't miss wireless charging at all.

Some of this is due to the bigger battery in the 6p (vs. the 5x), some I suspect due to Huawei having done a better job with the hardware, and the rest Marshmallows excellent power saving features, such as doze.

Everything I have read about the 5x points to LG having done something wrong with the hardware, what I couldn't say but there are too many reports of short battery life + overheating phones to believe otherwise at this point. Maybe it's not across the board in which case there's probably a manufacturing issue.

In any case, I think the 6p is by far the superior phone (for the screen alone). You'll get used to the size, I used to use the regular N5 and would never go back now.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ixian posted:

I think what he said is he has a 5x (though it's not clear) in addition to his wifes.

Whatever the case I agree with you, my 6p has fantastic battery life. Easily can go a couple days in between charges, and quick charge gets it right back in a matter of minutes, not hours. I don't miss wireless charging at all.

Some of this is due to the bigger battery in the 6p (vs. the 5x), some I suspect due to Huawei having done a better job with the hardware, and the rest Marshmallows excellent power saving features, such as doze.

Everything I have read about the 5x points to LG having done something wrong with the hardware, what I couldn't say but there are too many reports of short battery life + overheating phones to believe otherwise at this point. Maybe it's not across the board in which case there's probably a manufacturing issue.

In any case, I think the 6p is by far the superior phone (for the screen alone). You'll get used to the size, I used to use the regular N5 and would never go back now.

Which is weird because LG made the Nexus 5 and that was a fantastic phone. Perhaps it's just a manufacturing error. You know how some runs of products are duds. Maybe that has happened here.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Darkpriest667 posted:

Woah, what's your screen on time? Is that stock? I don't get anywhere near that. I get about 10 hours with ~3 hours screen on.

E: Whoops, I was reading it wrong. I get about 23 hours with 3 hours of screen on time. Regardless, what's your screen on time with that life?

Tots fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 31, 2015

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Darkpriest667 posted:

Which is weird because LG made the Nexus 5 and that was a fantastic phone. Perhaps it's just a manufacturing error. You know how some runs of products are duds. Maybe that has happened here.

I agree, I liked the N5 a lot, BUT if we are being fair battery life wasn't exactly fantastic on it, and still isn't with 6.0.

Have a feeling the 5x problems run deeper than a small battery.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Tots posted:

Woah, what's your screen on time? Is that stock? I don't get anywhere near that. I get about 10 hours with ~3 hours screen on.

E: Whoops, I was reading it wrong. I get about 23 hours with 3 hours of screen on time. Regardless, what's your screen on time with that life?

1 hour 1 minute 47 seconds.

Ixian posted:

I agree, I liked the N5 a lot, BUT if we are being fair battery life wasn't exactly fantastic on it, and still isn't with 6.0.

Have a feeling the 5x problems run deeper than a small battery.

I thought the N5 had good battery life when I got the phone, but by the time I sold it I felt like it had either deterioriated or apps were eating the battery up. Yes even with Marshmellow it hadn't improved enough. Maybe there is a flaw in the N5X design?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Darkpriest667 posted:

Do I have a dud? My battery life isn't anything like that.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Chaotic Flame posted:

No, maybe a rogue app (the battery status page isn't always accurate as to what is using how much) though running in the background. Are you rooted/running xposed, anything like that?

Only other thing I can think is you have the screen on at full brightness a lot, hard to tell from your ss, 4% isn't much but that's just since the last charge.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Chaotic Flame posted:

Dark priest has to be one of those guys that turns off everything the phone can do to maximize battery life. There is nothing magical about all this, I get about the same battery life as you and all the battery tests published online indicate that it's normal. Overall I'm a pretty heavy user and I get a full day out of a charge so I'm happy

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

greasyhands posted:

Dark priest has to be one of those guys that turns off everything the phone can do to maximize battery life. There is nothing magical about all this, I get about the same battery life as you and all the battery tests published online indicate that it's normal. Overall I'm a pretty heavy user and I get a full day out of a charge so I'm happy

If you mean I don't download candy crush then yes.

I use snapchat, kik, fitbit, skype, facebook, cyber dust, instagram, torque pro, and better net (A VPN APP) EVERYDAY .... So I have no idea what you're saying I turn off. I have it in developer mode and haven't really done anything to minimize how much battery gets used. I even have brightness pretty high up. I also watch netflix on my phone. I mean, I'm sorry I work 10 hours a day that I can't be staring into my phone 4 hours straight, but I do use the damned thing.

EDIT I just checked 2 hours 10 minutes of screen time yesterday.. 13 hours of battery left even after leaving it off the charger since 2 days ago. No idea what you guys are doing but I suggest a factory reset and then installing 3 or 4 apps at a time and testing a few days and find out what's eating your battery.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

greasyhands posted:

I don't know what constitutes a "heavy user" but I use my phone quite a bit and I get the same kind of results Darkpriest does. I haven't done anything special to maximize battery life at all, either.

Here's mine right now with 58% of the battery left (I last charged it about 17 hours ago and left it unplugged overnight)

I wonder if Doze isn't working right/kept from starting by a background process on these other phones.

Edit: That shot above is with 1h 23m screen time.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 1, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

greasyhands posted:

I get the same battery life as dark priest and I don't turn everything off, except bluetooth because I don't use it.

I echo the poster above and suggest verifying that Doze is working correctly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A phone holding a charge for more than one day is pretty crazy. I don't get battery complaints, as long as it last from morning to bed time, whatever, right?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
You should be getting 5-7hrs of screen time, depending on exactly what you are doing while the screen is on. I get that. the time remaining is an estimate based on your usage since last charge, so if you've only looked at the screen for an hour and a half in the last 17 hours then yeah its going to say you've got over a day left. If you've spent several hours looking at it ( I read all my news and books on my phone) in just 8 hours it is going to estimate a much lower remaining battery.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ranter posted:

I get the same battery life as dark priest and I don't turn everything off, except bluetooth because I don't use it.

I echo the poster above and suggest verifying that Doze is working correctly.

I don't have Doze. This is probably why if you both have it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Chaotic Flame posted:

Doze is part of the OS. Are you using Fi on an old phone?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

greasyhands posted:

You should be getting 5-7hrs of screen time, depending on exactly what you are doing while the screen is on. I get that. the time remaining is an estimate based on your usage since last charge, so if you've only looked at the screen for an hour and a half in the last 17 hours then yeah its going to say you've got over a day left. If you've spent several hours looking at it ( I read all my news and books on my phone) in just 8 hours it is going to estimate a much lower remaining battery.

Fair enough. I don't read books/watch movies much on my phone so my screen is rarely on for long stretches of time.

I'd still check to make sure Doze is working correctly. When you aren't using your phone it does a tremendous job of A) keeping background stuff like mail, texts, etc. up to date and B) saving the hell out of the battery life.

I say this because I used to have the regular 6 and the original 5 before that and even though I use the 6p for the same things the battery life is noticeably longer for me - a lot longer.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Then you aren't using a Nexus 5X 6 or 6P because they all have Marshmellow and Doze is part of the OS. If you're loving with the system by using an iOS device or something that can't upgrade to marshmellow you're not giving the service the due it deserves.

What doze does is deactivates the phone until you pick it up or it moves. So as long as it's still it uses almost 0 battery. No joke. I've left it sitting 20 hours once (long story) and it used 1% battery.

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 1, 2016

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Actually really liking my 5X - has been very snappy (aside from two random times it slowed to a crawl until a reboot), standby battery life is adequate, and screen on time is OK enough to make it a day - around 3 hours. I also enjoy that doze means I can leave it unplugged all night, and just charge while I'm in the car and for a little bit before I go to work.

Need some new cables though. Are all USB-C to C cables okay, or are some of them out of spec like A-C cables? Also, are there any decent, not too expensive external battery packs that use USB-C and support the rapid charging spec?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I had some trouble with battery life as well, until I learned that Doze is only triggered when the phone is almost completely still. That means that if it's in your pocket it's not going to doze, it pretty much only works if you set it down.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Zeron posted:

I had some trouble with battery life as well, until I learned that Doze is only triggered when the phone is almost completely still. That means that if it's in your pocket it's not going to doze, it pretty much only works if you set it down.

This is true. It's meant for when you leave your phone on the nightstand or something and forget/don't bother to hook it up to a charger. This is probably one area Google will tune up in future releases because it works really well and I am sure they didn't forget about people carrying phones around.

Another thing that can kill battery life (as is the case with most Smartphones) is a poor cell signal, which may be more of a factor with Fi because it can switch between networks and isn't always perfect at picking the one with the strongest signal.

On a completely unrelated note, Fi recently introduced "data only" sims for certain LTE tablets (in addition to newer Nexus tablets the iPad Air 2 and Mini 4 are supported, interestingly). It's basically a SIM that shares data with your Fi account and is T-Mobile only (which I also find interesting). Could be massively useful if you have the right tablet and will definitely be cheaper than any other LTE tablet plan out there.

Edit: here's a link to the story. The Galaxy Tab S (newer) is also on the list. http://www.androidcentral.com/project-fi-introduces-data-only-sim-cards-limited-set-tablets

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ranter posted:

Doze is part of the OS. Are you using Fi on an old phone?

Oh, nevermind then. I'm using a 6P but when I looked up Doze, I just saw it was an app, not part of marshmallow.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Any recommendations on battery apps to view more detailed/better battery usage info? Also, I have to ask why this thread is anti root? The only reason I'd root is to stop intrusive ads, but since they're everywhere it seems like a big plus to me. Are there any downsides? Can I still get OTA updates if I gently caress with the hosts file?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Tots posted:

Any recommendations on battery apps to view more detailed/better battery usage info? Also, I have to ask why this thread is anti root? The only reason I'd root is to stop intrusive ads, but since they're everywhere it seems like a big plus to me. Are there any downsides? Can I still get OTA updates if I gently caress with the hosts file?

Well the first reason is that you're not going to get much more stock android than what google is offering. I know some people like to root for mods, but I can't think of a really good reason to root a nexus phone. Downsides.. you can brick your phone, you could download a bad root that is actually malware that transmits all of your information to a 3rd party... you could brick your phone.... I don't know about OTA updates if you gently caress with the hosts file (I am guessing no), but I would bet all OTA updates would rewrite the hosts file to default. Could be wrong on that.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Tots posted:

I'm not anti-root, I rooted my 6p for the same reason as you - ads are out of control otherwise. That (and the ability to direct-access some buttons, like airplane mode, from widgets) is the only thing I use it for. There are non-root adblockers that do things like use internal VPN servers to redirect traffic but nothing beats a simple host file change that gets solid updates, which is all the better root adblockers do.

I think the anti-root sentiment is directed more towards the XDA-style, mod the poo poo out of your phone with custom roms, etc, which these days isn't really necessary and is also really easy to screw up.

If you unlock/root you will not be able to get OTA updates on the 6p, you'll need to apply them manually. The Nexus Root Toolkit makes this process painless but it's not as convenient as OTA. It's a tradeoff I'll take in order to avoid a deluge of ads.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ixian posted:

I'm not anti-root, I rooted my 6p for the same reason as you - ads are out of control otherwise. That (and the ability to direct-access some buttons, like airplane mode, from widgets) is the only thing I use it for. There are non-root adblockers that do things like use internal VPN servers to redirect traffic but nothing beats a simple host file change that gets solid updates, which is all the better root adblockers do.

I think the anti-root sentiment is directed more towards the XDA-style, mod the poo poo out of your phone with custom roms, etc, which these days isn't really necessary and is also really easy to screw up.

If you unlock/root you will not be able to get OTA updates on the 6p, you'll need to apply them manually. The Nexus Root Toolkit makes this process painless but it's not as convenient as OTA. It's a tradeoff I'll take in order to avoid a deluge of ads.

Yeah ads are getting out of control I use chrome (For my PC) and adblock (browser for mobile) that tends to work.

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 2, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

AFAIK bricking/malware isn't really a concern when rooting a nexus device. I'm really only interested in stopping some of the really bad offenders for intrusive advertising. The other day imgur must have gotten a bad advertiser and I was getting lottery winner popups on my mobile with every link I visited. I was trying to not root and allow the ads since it's the ethical thing to do IMO (bills gotta get paid somehow) but that was the last straw for me.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Tots posted:

AFAIK bricking/malware isn't really a concern when rooting a nexus device. I'm really only interested in stopping some of the really bad offenders for intrusive advertising. The other day imgur must have gotten a bad advertiser and I was getting lottery winner popups on my mobile with every link I visited. I was trying to not root and allow the ads since it's the ethical thing to do IMO (bills gotta get paid somehow) but that was the last straw for me.

I completely understand. I only use IMGUR as a storage bank for photos from my PC so I've never seen the ads. Sounds awful.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
If the Imgur app is using the JavaScript to native bridge and the malicious advertiser happened to know which native methods the Imgur app has attached to the bridge and some how were able to forcibly install an application that would pop up web pages whenever you happen to click a URL, then I guess I could see that happening. Seems pretty far fetched on vanilla unrooted Android to me though.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

withoutclass posted:

If the Imgur app is using the JavaScript to native bridge and the malicious advertiser happened to know which native methods the Imgur app has attached to the bridge and some how were able to forcibly install an application that would pop up web pages whenever you happen to click a URL, then I guess I could see that happening. Seems pretty far fetched on vanilla unrooted Android to me though.

Malicious or not it is just loving annoying on mobile these days. I lasted 3 weeks on my 6p before I rooted and put a decent adblock hosts file back on there. I don't know how people who don't deal with it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I only access imgur via the 'reddit is fun' app and get zero ads. I'm also using the free version of 'reddit is fun'.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Seeing the occasional ad is really not enough motivation for me to break the underlying security model of my phone.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

withoutclass posted:

It was via the browser, not the app. I think it's going to depend on your browsing habits too. Some places I never see a problem, some places are one time or very rare (imgur) and some places are frequent offenders. The bad ones are really bad though.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I use the imgur app on my 5x and cannot recall seeing any ads. In chrome, on news sites it rampant though. Where on mobile imgur via the app are ads presented?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just got my first bill, and seeing a $16 discount for refunded data was nice. Granted, I was hyper aware of it this month, but between wifi at home and work, it should be similar.