Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hauki
May 11, 2010

Gerdalti posted:

Can anyone recommend a simple, no/few uniques required build that focuses on high survivability and melee/close aoe?

Edit: I do have a few higher level uniques, but I'm not sure they really enable any fun builds.
Daresso's Defiance
Cloak of Defiance
The Covenant

Cyclone. Daresso is a pretty good chest for its price, and is the only one of those you'd consider using with a melee build really. You'd ultimately want to link it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Gerdalti posted:

Can anyone recommend a simple, no/few uniques required build that focuses on high survivability and melee/close aoe?

Edit: I do have a few higher level uniques, but I'm not sure they really enable any fun builds.
Daresso's Defiance
Cloak of Defiance
The Covenant

Blast rain with point blank and a Chin Sol (costs like, 1c for any roll or 5c for a perfect roll). You can be a Marauder, Duelist, Templar or Ranger. It's very good.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Vasudus posted:

Blast rain with point blank and a Chin Sol (costs like, 1c for any roll or 5c for a perfect roll). You can be a Marauder, Duelist, Templar or Ranger. It's very good.

Hmmm I have a really good chin sol that dropped for me already, might need to switch to this instead of tornado shot.

Gerdalti posted:

Daresso's Defiance
Cloak of Defiance
The Covenant

Ice Crash builds are super cheap and tanky.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Vasudus posted:

There a good build for this? Thinking I might run one, haven't done a bow char this league yet.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
here's an Acrobatics version of a Chin Sol build

edit: never mind, looks super out of date

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

theshim posted:

There a good build for this? Thinking I might run one, haven't done a bow char this league yet.

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr...fPd9kj3Mvjr_Es=

This is my Blast Rain duder at 86. I started Marauder.

edit: I use two lioneye's falls, hence the mace/2h nodes.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 2, 2016

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Gerdalti posted:

Daresso's Defiance
Cloak of Defiance
The Covenant

RT Cyclone. I'm currently using 0 uniques, and if you're fine with damage in the 20k range you can get by with just a 5L chest and a 400 dps (read: 10-20 chaos) weapon.

Tree: https://poebuilder.com/character/AA...IzP8kFqAZe0Vak= (but in reality you'll never get that many points, just save the damage wheel on the left-hand most side for last. If you're playing hc, you should also probably snag the other two health nodes in the Bloodless cluster and get the Soul of Steel cluster right above it. The general build is from this post: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1302337 while my actual build is a bit tweaked - again, hc: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...=rgz_MrDaffodil )

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 2, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Anyone have much experience using aegis aurora? How much ES do I need for it to work well? 500 or so I reckon? Or does it work alright with 55% block and 200es?

Also is Doryani's Catalyst all that? I have the currency for either an Aegis or catalyst for my ice crash guy.

Or I can just keep saving and get a Soultaker sometime later?

Washout fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 2, 2016

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I'm midway through act 4 Merciless on my first character, an Arc witch. Level 68. What should I be doing? I have barely any idea what half of this poo poo in my inventory does/is worth.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Beasteh posted:

I'm midway through act 4 Merciless on my first character, an Arc witch. Level 68. What should I be doing? I have barely any idea what half of this poo poo in my inventory does/is worth.

You should stop as soon as you get your skill point quest done in A4 and then start some combination of dried lakes or maps or whatever floats your boat.

Tbh most of what's in your inventory probably isn't worth much - take a look at an arc guide and see how they gear their dudes, but the basic gist is you'll want to max your resists in merc (75%, or 135% total res), then fit in as much life and damage on gear as you can afford.

If you don't have many maps, ask in guild chat, most of us are drowning in tier 1s etc. Low level mapping isn't terribly difficult, though it's always good to be wary of map bosses anyway. It's too much info to go into detail here, but maps can be rolled or crafted like any other item, for the moment you'll probably just want to transmute, and maybe augment or alt it until you get a prefix and a suffix you can reasonably run. Most of the map mods do exactly what they say in the description - if you're unsure, again just ask in gchat.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Beasteh posted:

I've heard that arc is expensive to make work correctly so you may want to focus on a different kind of build until you have more currency kicking around.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Arc can be played completely selffound. Just grind dried lake until you feel like heading into maps.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
I need advice for my non-crit Arc Templar. Should I go all-in on str/Iron Will and get sun crest helm and alberon boots that boost str with the Doon Mace or should I stick to some other more conventional ways for lightning damage like doryani's belt. Or a combination of the 2?

Also, if I put vaal storm in the Doon Cueb, what is the best support gem to put with it after spell echo? What about if I use a normal storm for bosses?

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
P sure arc is strong enough to be dirt cheap. Crit arc can get expensive purely because crit anything is expensive.

bummer cars
Apr 3, 2009
I just found a consuming dark, what are some good builds for it? Would a firestorm build be a good idea?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

bummer cars posted:

I just found a consuming dark, what are some good builds for it? Would a firestorm build be a good idea?

I've been following this build and it's pretty mental: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1541692/page/1

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Boozie posted:

I need advice for my non-crit Arc Templar. Should I go all-in on str/Iron Will and get sun crest helm and alberon boots that boost str with the Doon Mace or should I stick to some other more conventional ways for lightning damage like doryani's belt. Or a combination of the 2?

Also, if I put vaal storm in the Doon Cueb, what is the best support gem to put with it after spell echo? What about if I use a normal storm for bosses?

For non-crit arc I strongly advice getting a Geofri's crest and put arc/echo/controlled destruction/lightning pen in it. Then when/if you can afford it, upgrade that to a vertex. If you want iron will, grab a good pair of repentance gloves for global iron will. For the vaal storm call, I would suggest echo/lightning pen or echo/increased duration depending on how often you find yourself fighting very resistant mobs. Again though, repentance gloves will allow you to put this in a 4link and go for echo/duration/pen.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really love Arc in general. Crit arc can get expensive but I have a level 73 self-found crit arc character and it works reasonably well. I don't have the survivability or clearspeed that someone with perfect rolled Shav's and perfectly rolled mirrored high crit chance rare daggers, but it's good enough that as long as I don't get raped by a boss that crits me with chaos damage, I'm fine in T1/T2 maps. I didn't follow a build.

So basically you can do whatever with Arc as long as you stack damage and you're fine lol.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 3, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm watching Nugi's stream, and it's the hipsterest goddamn thing.

Self-cast chaos spark, using Voltaxic and Rigwald's Quills.

Edit: you can probably push it towards damage by dropping blood magic keystone, replacing the poison support with snakebites, and reserving mana with wrath and HoT.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 3, 2016

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Istvaan ran voltaxic/rigwalds spark before it was cool

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
I found a "Tabula Rasa" robe. It has the unique tag, but there's no stats on it. Is it like a crafting component or something?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Xequecal posted:

I found a "Tabula Rasa" robe. It has the unique tag, but there's no stats on it. Is it like a crafting component or something?

it's a normal unique, perfect for levelling (the uniqueness comes from the sockets and links, it is always 6 white, 6 linked)

J
Jun 10, 2001

Yeah tabula is a guaranteed 6 link with white sockets. You can put any color gem you want in white sockets. It's a pretty drat useful item, you can use it for levelling in hilarious fashion, or testing out gem combinations without having to blow through bunches of chromatics. Tabula is a bit of a trap, though since you'll get accustomed to having the 6 link and will never want to take it off for a non 6 linked chest. Some builds can get away with that for quite a long time though.

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011
So started this game a short time ago.
Went pretty well, with an summoner witch. But she might have spoiled me...

How do I survive with with other classes? Just some tips for the first 10 Levels?
Tried Marauder, but I get surrounded and die....

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Korwin posted:

So started this game a short time ago.
Went pretty well, with an summoner witch. But she might have spoiled me...

How do I survive with with other classes? Just some tips for the first 10 Levels?
Tried Marauder, but I get surrounded and die....

all other "classes" have to use flasks and running away to survive the first levels, you just kinda learn to rest your fingers on the 1-5...

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

first few levels is all about learning to avoid damage really. Kite stuff and dont stand in the middle of everything. Try to grab some life rings.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

I'm thinking about making a Frenzy build, since it's always been a really cool skill, and the mana changes might actually make it sustainable now. So I made up a skill tree, a bow Ranger with +3 frenzy charges and lots of projectile damage. I was thinking of focusing on poison, as bonuses to "projectile damage" allegedly apply to poison twice, once for the initial hit and once for the DoT derived from the hit, and I assume the "more damage" bonus from frenzy charges does the same. Links would probably be Frenzy+Poison+Slower Projectiles+LMP/GMP+(Pierce/Void Manipulation/Faster Projectiles??? No idea). Then Curse on Hit+Vulnerability on something, and probably Grace and Arctic Armor since it won't benefit from added elemental damage. Darkray Vectors are an obvious choice, giving an extra frenzy charge, and 16% dodge and an absurd 40% move speed at full charges. No other uniques jump out, except maybe Darkscorn to let me get (a quarter of) those chaos damage bonuses on my actual attacks. Is there anything obvious I'm missing on this tree or these gems? Is +178% life enough for a Phase Acro build?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Well, I got super lucky and found a Consuming Dark while levelling an MF dual flame totem templar. Is it worth using or, being super poor as I am (maybe 30c worth of stuff to my name on Talisman), should I sell it and maybe buy some good MF gear? Looks like I could basically sell it for an Aurseize and Divination Distillate.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I'm not a fan of buying Aurseize if you're just starting out with magic find in general, at least not since the rarity went up and it's no longer like 5 chaos. Distillate on the other hand is a fantastic amount of IIR and IIQ in a slot that otherwise can't get any, and is the only completely irreplaceable MF piece. Up to you if you actually want to run MF though, I like to just get a character up and running first then add MF gear to it later, starting with IIR gem, flask, and jewelry then replacing other pieces as I can.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

I'm thinking about making a Frenzy build, since it's always been a really cool skill, and the mana changes might actually make it sustainable now. So I made up a skill tree, a bow Ranger with +3 frenzy charges and lots of projectile damage. I was thinking of focusing on poison, as bonuses to "projectile damage" allegedly apply to poison twice, once for the initial hit and once for the DoT derived from the hit, and I assume the "more damage" bonus from frenzy charges does the same. Links would probably be Frenzy+Poison+Slower Projectiles+LMP/GMP+(Pierce/Void Manipulation/Faster Projectiles??? No idea). Then Curse on Hit+Vulnerability on something, and probably Grace and Arctic Armor since it won't benefit from added elemental damage. Darkray Vectors are an obvious choice, giving an extra frenzy charge, and 16% dodge and an absurd 40% move speed at full charges. No other uniques jump out, except maybe Darkscorn to let me get (a quarter of) those chaos damage bonuses on my actual attacks. Is there anything obvious I'm missing on this tree or these gems? Is +178% life enough for a Phase Acro build?

DON'T USE FRENZY (it sucks)

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Ultima66 posted:

I'm not a fan of buying Aurseize if you're just starting out with magic find in general, at least not since the rarity went up and it's no longer like 5 chaos. Distillate on the other hand is a fantastic amount of IIR and IIQ in a slot that otherwise can't get any, and is the only completely irreplaceable MF piece. Up to you if you actually want to run MF though, I like to just get a character up and running first then add MF gear to it later, starting with IIR gem, flask, and jewelry then replacing other pieces as I can.

I have other characters to play/planned if I want to run something interesting, really just doing the MF character to help fund a few cheaper things and if I want to just turn my brain off and farm some chaos recipes in Dried Lake.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Found Facebreakers today. Found Martial Artistry yesterday. How much of a pain in the dick/expensive is Rigwald's Curse to get?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Thoughts on this build?
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1526988/page/1

Came across it Friday, and I'm already level 55. Seems to be kicking some rear end, and is rather easy to gear up for apparently.

Also, I know the OP says to use IRC to get guild invites, but if someone is reading who can do so, I could use an invite. GerdCoCyc is my current character.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Rigwald's curses aren't that expensive, heck, they're cheaper than the actual facebreakers themselves.

http://poe.trade/search/ihaimanikunata

I dropped a pair of 790% facebreakers last week, I might keep it and roll a crit facebreaker myself. Not sure on Ice Crash, Cyclone, or Infernal blow.

az
Dec 2, 2005

bakka bakka posted:

DON'T USE FRENZY (it sucks)

What's wrong with it? And what would be a better single target for a non voltaxic LA/TS ranger, blast rain?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Can you lean hard into Evasion to cover for a slight lack of Health. Or is it basically Health or bust.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
No matter how much evasion you have by its very nature you'll take a hit sometime, and since you'll have less armor it'll hit you hard, so you still need enough hp to survive the occasional hit.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Can you lean hard into Evasion to cover for a slight lack of Health. Or is it basically Health or bust.

Nope thanks to people wanting a challenge (I played for hundreds of hours and am dominating poo poo where's the challenge?) you pretty much need tons of hp.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Instead of rerolling w/flame totems or such at the moment, is it possible to salvage any of my current characters to try and get familiar with the game again?

I've also got a few other uniques lying around if they could help:

I really liked the Facebreaker (Dian_Wei) before, but I'm not sure if I'm doing well enough gearing it. I've also got a summoner (Farrys) while the other witch was a fire witch w/Searing Touch, and the Ranger I couldn't quite make up my mind what skill gems to use...

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Magus42 posted:

Instead of rerolling w/flame totems or such at the moment, is it possible to salvage any of my current characters to try and get familiar with the game again?

I've also got a few other uniques lying around if they could help:

I really liked the Facebreaker (Dian_Wei) before, but I'm not sure if I'm doing well enough gearing it. I've also got a summoner (Farrys) while the other witch was a fire witch w/Searing Touch, and the Ranger I couldn't quite make up my mind what skill gems to use...

Thanks in advance for any help :)

All those uniques are hot garbage and used for leveling more or less. Browse the builds thread on the of and look for cheap in the title and then watch videos of the builds and see if its what you like. Then go from there.

• Locked thread