Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Polsy posted:

Oh, nice, I'd better do that too. It's now or possibly never. Also the other is Usamin, good selection.

Well, I guess it's never. Though, maybe I can scrape together enough for another 10-pull before the 4th.

I'm glad I watched someone's video of them getting a SSR so I know what the border on the character sheet looks like, so I can be disappointed immediately instead of waiting until I get through them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
µ's perfom at Kohaku, the big ol' New Year's variety show. A bit of new animation at the beginning, too.

book
Nov 29, 2014
I played the original CG mobage and eventually quit because it was pretty soul crushing. I dled SS last night (producer name is denghis) and holy poo poo, it's a million times better. I'd like to think that the suffering (and empty wallets) of the original mobage players helped pave the way for this. As a beginner, I have a few questions.

1. Is it worth it to play through every difficulty of every song? Or should I just jump into the event stuff?
2. Should I max out levels before upgrading idols to the + version?
3. Thumbs or fingers? I feel like I'm going to have to move to fingers eventually...

Tia, and I look forward to being disappointed on every 10 pull.

book fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 31, 2015

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

book posted:

I played the original CG mobage and eventually quit because it was pretty soul crushing. I dled SS last night (producer name is denghis) and holy poo poo, it's a million times better. I'd like to think that the suffering (and empty wallets) of the original mobage players helped pave the way for this. As a beginner, I have a few questions.

1. Is it worth it to play through every difficulty of every song? Or should I just jump into the event stuff?
3. Thumbs or fingers? I feel like I'm going to have to move to fingers eventually...

Welcome to idol rhythm hell.

1. It's worth it for some rewards - gold gets room decorations/furniture upgrades, friend points let you draw regular cards and trainers, and you'll get some Star Jewels from higher difficulty completions and score ranks. Event stuff shouldn't be ignored though, for rewards and cards that can be earned with accruing event points.
2. I forget if you even can idolize before maxing levels, but just to be safe, level first. Can anyone else speak on this point?
3. Fingers for SS. Much harder, and the linear layout is not kind to thumbs on highest difficulty charts.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

book posted:

2. Should I max out affection/levels before upgrading idols to the + version?

1. I do but mostly because I don't want to have to see the 'new' notification for the rest of my life, the actual lower difficulty rewards, particularly for Debut, are pretty mediocre, at least once you already have more money than you know what to do with.

2. Upgrading idols just expands the top end of the level gauge and they retain their existing level, so I'm fairly sure you don't need to max them out, but, I've never actually checked either. As above, if you want to be safe you probably should.

3. I'm on fingers but my phone is slightly too large for thumbs to be comfortable (though, I can if I have to). That said, I still haven't solved my 'how to keep my phone still after I put it down on a table to play' issue. Turns out non-slip cutting mats are not really non-slip, at least not in that sense.

Also I'm still playing regular CG but only because I'm in an English-speaking production, the raw gameplay is indeed not all that compelling.

Apathetic Panda
Nov 14, 2005

This is how we roll.
1. Since you're a new player it will be extremely easy to tier for at least one card in events with the constant level ups. They can be pretty strong cards too! Some of my event cards are more powerful than cards I've pulled from the gatcha (The tiered ones tend to be way stronger than the ones you get for event points, but the Event points ones have helped boost my team till I someday get better SR's)

2. I always idolized before leveling, it doesn't really seem to effect anything. In play a game called Idolish7 (Male idol rhythm game) that seems to reset levels once you idolize but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

3. Thumbs? HAHAHAHAHA

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Apathetic Panda posted:

1. Since you're a new player it will be extremely easy to tier for at least one card in events with the constant level ups.

I was going to say something like that but I'm not sure it's entirely true, the competition just to get in the top 100,000 is fairly strong especially if you don't play as often as possible (which will be pretty frequently, for the same low level reason)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

book posted:

Welcome to the well. We're never getting out.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I made a couple JP pulls with little luck, but sold enough idols into slavery to afford a 5-coupon draw:

My first Maki UR! Very good!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I made a couple JP pulls with little luck, but sold enough idols into slavery to afford a 5-coupon draw:

My first Maki UR! Very good!

Oh my god that's adorable. I need that in EN right now.

book
Nov 29, 2014
Thanks for the replies. Switched to using fingers and I'm loving terrible. Do you use all 4 fingers or just 3?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

3? I just use one on each hand, effectively thumbs but I can't use my thumbs if I put my phone down flat. I'm still not too good at Master level songs though, so don't necessarily use me as a model.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I use both index fingers and that's it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Apathetic Panda posted:

I always idolized before leveling, it doesn't really seem to effect anything. In play a game called Idolish7 (Male idol rhythm game) that seems to reset levels once you idolize but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

3. Thumbs? HAHAHAHAHA

I play one game that averages (roughly) the levels of the two cards you mash together to idiolize. That said, I have no idea if the full affection bonuses are higher if your level is maxed or anything. In SS, do you even get a bonus for actually idolizing, as opposed to just maxing the affection twice?

Also, I'd love to see someone manage Tokimeki on Master with thumbs. I honestly do not think it is possible to thumb-tap fast enough. But still, rather than sort out using fingers, I just don't really play things that seem flat-out impossible on thumbs. Helps that I'm just using an iphone 5, so it's not terribly huge. It is, however, the sort of thing where holds get cancelled because you got too close with an adjacent tap. It's not really a very thumb-friendly game.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

In SS, do you even get a bonus for actually idolizing, as opposed to just maxing the affection twice?

Actually there's no stat increase popup like there is when you max affection, so probably not

Zenostein posted:

Also, I'd love to see someone manage Tokimeki on Master with thumbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WurmgIaDNHc there's always someone, somehow

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Those never cease to amaze me.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Amazing. Still sorta a massacre, but amazing.

Also, like double my combo the one time I managed to get through it.

That "it only costs 10 stars to resume" period was pretty nice~

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
In tend to play with thumbs, but I'm only on pro and not master level.

Apathetic Panda
Nov 14, 2005

This is how we roll.

Polsy posted:

I was going to say something like that but I'm not sure it's entirely true, the competition just to get in the top 100,000 is fairly strong especially if you don't play as often as possible (which will be pretty frequently, for the same low level reason)

I wouldn't say it's fairly strong. I've managed to get every card in events so far and I only started 4 events ago - in the middle of an event no less. It's true if you only play once or twice a day for 15 minutes you won't tier, but the competition is no where near as bad as SIF. I don't play it THAT often, but I will admit I played it for like 4 hours straight when I first downloaded it because I was constantly leveling up haha.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Basically my experience back with Atashi Ponkotsu Android.

Finally getting back and catching up on bonding idols in SS now that Mio has given me new if mild motivation to play again.

Thumbs are kind of doable at Master but it really depends on the chart. Somehow I still can't FC We're The Friends! or Kagayaku Sekai No Mahou, which aren't /that/ hard when it comes to Master charts, but I can nearly FC Ranko's non-LEGNE song. /shrug Otherwise I am (or at least, before I took a hiatus, was) comfortable doing 26-star songs on Master with thumbs, but I recognize that if I really want to improve skill-wise, I need to jump back to fingers.

School Idol Festival and Girlfriend Note are very manageable with thumbs though. SIF is probably the easiest overall since song gameplay in Note has you spinning the disco ball for Mirror Bonus if you want to score better.

Anyone else view score bonus mechanics (that is to say, mirror bonus in GFNote; bonus-per-tap for matching attribute/color in GFNote/SIF) as less a bonus and more of penalization for not matching up?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I play master and alternate between 4 fingers for learning the maps and switching to 5 once I'm going for gold

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Fair enough, I guess I've been playing less overall and it makes it feel like it's more of a struggle to stay in the top 100,000. I just barely got within the top 50,000 for the first event when I was playing as much as possible but that hasn't felt within reach again until the most recent event when I was playing a lot leading up to Christmas (though I still missed out because I didn't have time over Christmas itself).

graybook posted:

Anyone else view score bonus mechanics (that is to say, mirror bonus in GFNote; bonus-per-tap for matching attribute/color in GFNote/SIF) as less a bonus and more of penalization for not matching up?

Really I barely think about score outside of the letter grades so it's difficult to think about the minor modifiers. If SS didn't have the 'highest score' ranking in events I wouldn't think about it there at all, not that it matters particularly because I can't really play Master and it's impossible to get a meaningful score if you don't.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

graybook posted:

I'm not entirely sure how useful the mirror bonus is, because I am a spaz and can't manage it and a decent combo. For SIF, not matching is absolutely a penalty, though. For example, my teams are [mostly] made of the most powerful for an attribute, except a couple of non-matching SRs for perfect lock. My Pure team is: S—29780, P—39530, C—29640. Cool: S—30490, P—30680, C—39220. With the guest bonus, that'll work out to about +10000, so ~50k if it matches. Not matching, however, even with a FC would end up with like a B score on most songs. So there, not matching is about as punishing as using a bunch of Ns.

For SIF, my handy auto-genned teams all work out to ~60k, with cool at 65k. However, once you add the various bonuses, that number magically comes out to like 240k, at which point it doesn't really matter, you'll get an S unless your max combo is like 30 and you are constantly missing. So it doesn't really matter, unless you're doing an event and want a high score reward, or you're just starting out.

Honestly, I kinda feel like on the whole, SS is a little less "you are garbage unless you're running around with all SRs," which is nice.

Polsy posted:

Really I barely think about score outside of the letter grades so it's difficult to think about the minor modifiers. If SS didn't have the 'highest score' ranking in events I wouldn't think about it there at all, not that it matters particularly because I can't really play Master and it's impossible to get a meaningful score if you don't.

I'm guessing by "meaningful" you mean "inside the top 100,000 or above?" Because good god, I hit 550,000 on Pro for the last event, but like 340,000 on Master. I think the last time I peeked, that was only good for like, rank 130,000 or so, though.

Then again, the current high score for Onegai Cinderella is 868k on Master vs. 755k on Pro. So it's doable. You just probably have to feed a few month's wages into the gacha or get obscenely lucky.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

I'm guessing by "meaningful" you mean "inside the top 100,000 or above?" Because good god, I hit 550,000 on Pro for the last event, but like 340,000 on Master. I think the last time I peeked, that was only good for like, rank 130,000 or so, though.

I meant "anything you get any prize for" when I wrote that, but now I check that's only the top 50,000 anyway so that's a bit too restrictive. But yeah, more top rarity top level cards would certainly help.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Zenostein posted:

I'm not entirely sure how useful the mirror bonus is, because I am a spaz and can't manage it and a decent combo. For SIF, not matching is absolutely a penalty, though. For example, my teams are [mostly] made of the most powerful for an attribute, except a couple of non-matching SRs for perfect lock. My Pure team is: S—29780, P—39530, C—29640. Cool: S—30490, P—30680, C—39220. With the guest bonus, that'll work out to about +10000, so ~50k if it matches. Not matching, however, even with a FC would end up with like a B score on most songs. So there, not matching is about as punishing as using a bunch of Ns.

I think I'll try to do some testing when I have free time after the GFNote event - I'm thinking I'll go on Easy/Normal and stick to one song, doing maybe 5-10 trials in two sets: one where I can 100% mirror bonus, and one where I just don't bother. I might have to put this off until I have my team of N/R without skills though so as to avoid as many skill-based sources of score increase as possible.

Somehow playing GF Note has awakened my inner game mechanic fanatic.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sonata Mused posted:

In tend to play with thumbs, but I'm only on pro and not master level.

Same here. I've been tempted to try fingers but thumbs are just so much more comfortable/portable.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
And my EN New Year's pulls! I started with abysmal luck:

Minimum wage, and an already-idolized worst idol Hanayo, to boot. Refusing to let that stand, I threw down some google survey bucks to get the last handful of gems I needed for a second pull:

Much better! And it gave me the 5 coupons I needed for a coupon pull:

So good things and eventual seal fodder. Happy New Year!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
And the New Year's greetings, why not:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Polsy posted:

Actually there's no stat increase popup like there is when you max affection, so probably not

Well, hmm. I mean, there's no popup, but

I normally get distracted by the 'Let's go do the communication now!' popup on this screen

book
Nov 29, 2014

Polsy posted:

3? I just use one on each hand, effectively thumbs but I can't use my thumbs if I put my phone down flat. I'm still not too good at Master level songs though, so don't necessarily use me as a model.

Yeah, I was being dumb and trying to use 1 hand. The two hand approach has worked much better and I'm good with regular difficulty now. Just wish I could practice Pro level without burning the stamina I need for this event :smith: Also, Anzu's song is funky and always throws me off rhythm for some reason.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Started the new year full comboing soldier game on hard. Now to just FC anemone heart and mermaid festa 2, and I can just focus on EX songs. There's probably some other hard dailies I'm forgetting, but I'm happy.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

book posted:

Yeah, I was being dumb and trying to use 1 hand. The two hand approach has worked much better and I'm good with regular difficulty now. Just wish I could practice Pro level without burning the stamina I need for this event :smith: Also, Anzu's song is funky and always throws me off rhythm for some reason.

Anzu no Uta is hell and I can't really get a good hold of its rhythm either. :c

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

graybook posted:

Anzu no Uta is hell and I can't really get a good hold of its rhythm either. :c

I have to mentally block out the audio and just tap the targets in some parts, I have no idea which instrument (if any) they're supposed to be reflecting.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Zettace posted:

Did a 10 draw in Starlight Stage and got 2 SSRs and 3 SRs. Wow!

Hey, another SSR I don't really care about but 3 SSRs and 6 SRs in the last two 10 draws :v:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Idols were a mistake

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Nico get!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Allarion posted:

Nico get!

Niiiice.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

And my EN New Year's pulls! I started with abysmal luck:

This is literally every pull for me.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Definitely not my #1 choice for a SSR, but at least now I have one instead of none I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Polsy posted:

Definitely not my #1 choice for a SSR, but at least now I have one instead of none I guess.

I'm sorry about your Nitta