Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jurgan posted:

I have problems with that sometimes, mainly because there's no possible way all of the events in such shows could take place in one year. With The Simpsons, I eventually decided to say "there is no continuity, every episode is its own story" as a way of dealing with it, but right around that point they started making call-backs, bringing back old characters, etc.

The real answer is that continuity doesn't matter. There are shows where it absolutely does matter (any serial series, like Breaking Bad), and some where it absolutely does not (something like Robot Chicken). The Simpsons takes a moderate track, adapting continuity when convenient but then resetting the scale when it wants to.

So for example, the continuity of Flanders becoming a widower and then marrying Bart's teacher (and then becoming a widower again) is preserved, but various episodes that should have real life consequences are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!
Skipped a few pages of more Family Guy chat to point out that Rick and Morty has basically eclipsed it in it own genre, and owns.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Skipped a few pages of more Family Guy chat to point out that Rick and Morty has basically eclipsed it in it own genre, and owns.

The creator of Rick and Morty was sued by Bill Cosby. :smug: Rick & Morty wins.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I was the age of Bart, when The Simpsons first aired. Someday I will be the age of Marge. This makes me feel weird.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ToastyPotato posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if KOTH started off as a live action idea (since he had success with Office Space already) but that it ended up being animated because Beavis and Butthead were at peak popularity and the only way he was getting a show greenlit was if it was something that looked vaguely like it. So you grab a well known character/voice from B&B and kind just reuse it for a new show. Maybe it was also cheaper, but I am not sure since I also hear animation can be very pricey.

In other news, a series of articles hit my feed about Israeli government getting caught in leaked wiretaps trying to get GOP congressmen to sink the Iran deal. I wonder how the RWM is going to play this one.

Here is the WSJ article: http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-spy-net-on-israel-snares-congress-1451425210

"Why is Obama spying on Republican Congressmen and our greatest allies in Israel?"

That one would have been easy even if i hadn't already seen Fox News lose their poo poo over it it the other day right before everyone bailed for New Year's.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

"Why is Obama spying on Republican Congressmen and our greatest allies in Israel?"

That one would have been easy even if i hadn't already seen Fox News lose their poo poo over it it the other day right before everyone bailed for New Year's.

Yeah the party that gave the NSA unlimited spying power is shocked, shocked they used it to actually spy on people. The expected answer.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

If J. E. Hoover was still alive, I'd say the FBI is pol pot compared to the actions of the NSA since 9/11.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Bast Relief posted:

I was the age of Bart, when The Simpsons first aired. Someday I will be the age of Marge. This makes me feel weird.

I'm only about five months older than the show itself. I have experienced an entire childhood, adolescence, and young adulthood while Bart and Lisa stayed under the age of ten.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got really sad when I realized I am homers age, but I;m nowhere near as successful as he is (in that he has a house and 2 cars and such).

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Bast Relief posted:

Simpsons came out in 1989, Bart is 10, Marge is 34 apparently so congratulations you're already older than her!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

twistedmentat posted:

I got really sad when I realized I am homers age, but I;m nowhere near as successful as he is (in that he has a house and 2 cars and such).

You and Frank Grimes have so much to discuss.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

That's because the Simpsons came from an era where a man who could support a house, two cars, three kids, and a stay-at-home wife with a middle management job that only required a bachelor's degree (or like 7/10ths of a BSc, in Homer's case) was still a thing. It was on it's way out the door very slowly at that point in time, but it was still a vestige of the norm of the 60s, 70s, and early 80s.

If the Simpsons reflected today's economic environment, Homer and Marge would both have jobs, Maggie wouldn't exist (nor would Lisa, probably), and they'd also probably be living in Grandpa Simpson's house (who would also still be working in some capacity).

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mr. Burns fought in World War I.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The true American family has always been Hank Hill's. Also I'll actually chuckle watching it.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

swampland posted:

Simpsons came out in 1989, Bart is 10, Marge is 34 apparently so congratulations you're already older than her!

Ha! My childhood perception of her was as much older. When I was a kid, there was just other kids, teenagers, and everyone else was +40s or +70s.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

The scary thing is the story was about a suburban middle class family that was placed on a watch list because they visited a gardening store, and a cop wrote down their plates. Then they went through their garbage and found traces of THC in it, and what I thought were processed plant material, which gave them probable cause.
It wasn't THC, it was TEA. They found loose tea leaves in their garbage which gave them probable cause. What's really hosed is that the accused has to pay for it to be tested if they want to contest that it is not cannabis. Luckily, they were rich white CIA analysts, but had they not had $2,500 on hand for the testing, they would be in jail. They currently have racked up around 30k in legal fees fighting the city on this one and because they didn't kill any children they aren't getting that money from crowd funding.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

twistedmentat posted:

The best comment was someone saying "Obama wants to take our guns so this can happy every day", becuase when you've done nothing wrong and the SWAT team descends on you the best thing to do is to open fire on them. Because the former Iraq vets who are over armed for domestic duty will react so well to that.
Worked out for that rear end in a top hat with a ranch.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

twistedmentat posted:

The best comment was someone saying "Obama wants to take our guns so this can happy every day", becuase when you've done nothing wrong and the SWAT team descends on you the best thing to do is to open fire on them.

Oh how is the RWM going to report this?

Speaking of this, I wonder how they'll report Obama's impending executive order on guns? I'm expecting a full on shitstorm and a huge spike in gun purchases.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Nonsense posted:

The true American family has always been Hank Hill's. Also I'll actually chuckle watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKmoze-hlXU

There's so many good scenes in that show.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I wonder if you invested heavily in Gun company stocks the day Obama took office, how well you'd have made out.

Edit: I looked up 'Smith and Wesson' and you'd have made a fortune. It's stock values increased almost 1000% since his first inauguration.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 2, 2016

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, local talk radio station has been pretty much completely converted into conservative political radio. It used to be conservative stuff in the middle of the day, but sports, local news, and other talk the rest of the day. A couple months ago the regular talk shows started taking political slants every day, which at least felt topical. Then even the sports hosts started awkwardly inserting politics into everything. poo poo, the news had always been unslanted with dry statements like "President Obama signed the Affordable Care Act into law today." Now they are slightly colorful. When the spending bill passed the house the report was along the lines of "Paul Ryan turned his back on conservatives and pushed a spending bill leaving Obamacare and Planned Parenthood funded and the southern border fence unfunded, disappointing many Americans." Not nearly as bad as the other changes, but everything still feels like it gets slanted.

Lately most of the hosts have been shuffled around and replaced with much more political hosts, or at least has added political voices to the shows. The worst part is that one of the shows has a guy who plays the part of a liberal, but is obviously instructed to concede every single point immediately and spit straw-men. One day the "liberal" host "admitted" that Obama was likely a closet Muslim or "at least supports Muslims more than Christians". This sucks because I actually like talk radio, but might have to drop it because someone has decided to make it so ham-fistedly political lately. I keep hoping it was just some program director and/or hosts on vacation, but even when a few of the ones we definitely were on vacation returned, their shows were still turned into lovely conservative stuff.

I'm gonna have to listen to something else, which sucks cause I am a stubborn idiot who doesn't want to change my station. Plus, all the local sports play through that station. I never minded the political stuff before, I even enjoyed having an idea what the right wing was frothing over at any given time, but I can't stand the idea of hearing it every single time I drive. Only bright side is giggling every time they complain about the "liberal media" considering their current situation.

Is this a normal thing during election years and I just never noticed before?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

computer parts posted:

The real answer is that continuity doesn't matter. There are shows where it absolutely does matter (any serial series, like Breaking Bad), and some where it absolutely does not (something like Robot Chicken). The Simpsons takes a moderate track, adapting continuity when convenient but then resetting the scale when it wants to.

So for example, the continuity of Flanders becoming a widower and then marrying Bart's teacher (and then becoming a widower again) is preserved, but various episodes that should have real life consequences are not.

This is pretty much how every show, comedy or not, worked in 1989 too, and while the genre changed, Simpsons hasn't.

nine-gear crow posted:

That's because the Simpsons came from an era where a man who could support a house, two cars, three kids, and a stay-at-home wife with a middle management job that only required a bachelor's degree (or like 7/10ths of a BSc, in Homer's case) was still a thing. It was on it's way out the door very slowly at that point in time, but it was still a vestige of the norm of the 60s, 70s, and early 80s.

If the Simpsons reflected today's economic environment, Homer and Marge would both have jobs, Maggie wouldn't exist (nor would Lisa, probably), and they'd also probably be living in Grandpa Simpson's house (who would also still be working in some capacity).

This has made the social media rounds, but it's not really true. The old sitcoms Simpsons started off building parodies of had the much-mocked common property of people living way beyond the means you'd expect from their income, even when they had episodes about money problems or something. It wasn't reflective of reality in 1989, it was reflective of TV's long-established unreality.

I suppose a lot of old conservatives and young liberals both believe it was once true though, and it makes sense TV would contribute.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

wilderthanmild posted:

Been normal since Fox News started up and invented the act. Hannity and Colmes for example.

But it's ramping up all the time since the President turned out to be a black man and not a 0.01% insider, and will continue to be until the President has a white penis and announces free guns to newborn whites only at a Jesus Against Black Muslim Poor People rally.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

wilderthanmild posted:

They're following the money, just like FoxNews.

http://spectator.org/articles/55425/am-radio-signing

quote:

A perusal of the April ratings for the nation’s biggest media markets shows that just 11 percent of the stations populating the top 10 reside on the AM band. In Washington, D.C., for example, the top-rated AM station ranks 20th among all stations. AM’s dwindling appeal to young people helps explain its dwindling overall ratings. Bill Heywood lost his last radio job by aging himself out of the coveted listening demographic. But the desired demographic and the one actually listening remain far apart. Calcified formats, sonic limitations, and automated programs, more so than any geriatric host, has aged AM out of the demographic targeted by advertisers. More than three-fourths of AM listeners exceed 45 years of age. Surely stages of life—when young people reach 45 they too will inevitably show more interest in the talk and news that dominate the AM band—explain the AM/FM generation gap.

That and repeal of the Fairness Doctrine in the late 80's. Talk has been a huge revenue source ever since, you don't pay royalties when there's no music being played. Stations like Pacifica show that there isn't really any money in liberal talk, especially when the Dems are in control of the Presidency, but the right loves to hear that stuff and it seems to only be getting more common on that front.

It also helps that the "MSM" stopped calling out any abject lies from either side and is obsessed with giving obviously untrue perspectives a fair shake. It's like we have a new version of the Fairness Doctrine for infowarriors.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

People are turning 45 every day yet ratings are still dropping, I hope they're not actually counting on young people getting old saving them

Maybe if literally every single one of their ads weren't a transparent scam or, worst of all, wasn't the host pitching a transparent scam they wouldn't be losing so many ears among informed people

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

They're following the money, just like FoxNews.

http://spectator.org/articles/55425/am-radio-signing

That and repeal of the Fairness Doctrine in the late 80's. Talk has been a huge revenue source ever since, you don't pay royalties when there's no music being played. Stations like Pacifica show that there isn't really any money in liberal talk, especially when the Dems are in control of the Presidency, but the right loves to hear that stuff and it seems to only be getting more common on that front.

It also helps that the "MSM" stopped calling out any abject lies from either side and is obsessed with giving obviously untrue perspectives a fair shake. It's like we have a new version of the Fairness Doctrine for infowarriors.

The other issue is that it's more profitable to spread sensationalist bullshit than anything else. Fear mongering is the thing that's most likely to get people to tune in which is why every news outlet is looking for the next potential catastrophe. This is part of why Fox News likes the :siren: OBLAMMO IS TRYING TO DESTROY EVERYTHING YOU CARE ABOUT :siren: line so much. It gets people to watch.

The media also figured out little weasel words that let them say whatever they want. "Some people are saying..." has become a notorious phrase specifically because "some people" could be Bob and Carol talking at the water cooler. "Somebody said that..." is a factual statement as long as somebody did, in fact, say what came next.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Epic High Five posted:

People are turning 45 every day yet ratings are still dropping, I hope they're not actually counting on young people getting old saving them

Maybe if literally every single one of their ads weren't a transparent scam or, worst of all, wasn't the host pitching a transparent scam they wouldn't be losing so many ears among informed people

I mean, do they really think that younger people today, who apparently have no interest in listening to AM talk radio, will suddenly, on their 45th birthday, be compelled to listen? If it is in decline now, then that is pretty much it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

I wonder if you invested heavily in Gun company stocks the day Obama took office, how well you'd have made out.

Edit: I looked up 'Smith and Wesson' and you'd have made a fortune. It's stock values increased almost 1000% since his first inauguration.

Conversely, how do gun stocks manage when a Republican takes office? And what other stocks tend to dip or jump when people of whatever party get elected? Not that I can actually invest in US stocks all that easily.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

evilmiera posted:

Conversely, how do gun stocks manage when a Republican takes office? And what other stocks tend to dip or jump when people of whatever party get elected? Not that I can actually invest in US stocks all that easily.

Here is Smith & Wesson:

The peak is around October 2007. The bottoming out is around Inauguration Day, 2009.

Most Firearms manufacturers seem to be privately owned.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 2, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So what I'm seeing here is that the global financial crisis hosed them up pretty hard. When everybody was spending, spending, spending and Bush was rattling his saber they did well. Then the economy shat itself and they fared poorly too.

Then as soon as Obama got his second term gun sales shot through the roof. It looks like his first term was "meh" but soon as he got reelected people started to stockpile guns.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So what I'm seeing here is that the global financial crisis hosed them up pretty hard. When everybody was spending, spending, spending and Bush was rattling his saber they did well. Then the economy shat itself and they fared poorly too.

Then as soon as Obama got his second term gun sales shot through the roof. It looks like his first term was "meh" but soon as he got reelected people started to stockpile guns.

What's interesting is that the first term of Obama is when the proportion of gun owners to the wider population grew for the first time since the 70s (barring a few random years in the 80s and 90s), but the second term showed massive sales despite actual gun ownership falling again.

If I just get 400 guns, THEN Obama can't grab them! - hundreds of thousands of people, apparently

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Epic High Five posted:

This is the biggest problem Pacifica has been facing the past decade or so. The Houston station, specifically, has been extremely bad at reaching anyone that wasn't alive for Woodstock. The station management seems actively hostile to allowing anyone under thirty in the station and has canceled just about every show that targets them. They've been targeting the same boomers for donations every quarter and the number is going down every year as more of them end up on fixed incomes.

With podcasts and streaming there's been a chance to target people that don't use AM/FM in their cars anymore, but Pacifica hasn't been nearly as good as NPR/APM/PRI has been with this and it's killing them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

This is the biggest problem Pacifica has been facing the past decade or so. The Houston station, specifically, has been extremely bad at reaching anyone that wasn't alive for Woodstock. The station management seems actively hostile to allowing anyone under thirty in the station and has canceled just about every show that targets them. They've been targeting the same boomers for donations every quarter and the number is going down every year as more of them end up on fixed incomes.

With podcasts and streaming there's been a chance to target people that don't use AM/FM in their cars anymore, but Pacifica hasn't been nearly as good as NPR/APM/PRI has been with this and it's killing them.

For everybody business that says "hey guys the world is different now, we need to change" there is always another that says "gently caress change, the problem is the world, not us."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I thought Pacifica's major problem was they let a bunch of people pushing bullshit "alternative medicine" stuff into their broadcasting schedule, and that turns off most people with half a brain from wanting to stick around and listen to other stuff? And also just a bunch of people doing shows that are plugs for various other scammy things, the equivalent of if like Glenn Beck was just directly hawking scammy gold companies throughout a radio show instead of during sponsor time.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'm so glad San Antonio has a jazz radio station and I can drift off into full communism and drooling delusion.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Meanwhile, in Texas

http://conservativetribune.com/armed-gangs-black-panthers/

(the article is a month old, but Texas recently enacted open carry so it's coming up again)

quote:

The New Black Panther Party has been suspiciously silent since their unfortunate part in the Ferguson debacle. Thankfully, for those of you following the zany antics of Eric Holder’s favorite group of militants, they’ve popped up again.

This time, they’re fronting a paramilitary firearms organization in Texas.

The New Black Panther Party, you may remember, is the group involved in a voter intimidation case in Philadelphia, where one leader brandished a nightstick and told a white voter, “You are about to be ruled by a black man, cracker!”

Please like and share on Facebook and Twitter to stand up to the Huey P. Newton Gun Club’s intimidation.

:ironicat:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My friend works for the Republican Party and got to meet Newt Gingrich a couple of years ago. I asked him afterwards what he thought of him and all he could say was "He had the sweatiest and the most limp handshake he had ever felt." He was grossed out greatly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

Meanwhile, in Texas

http://conservativetribune.com/armed-gangs-black-panthers/

(the article is a month old, but Texas recently enacted open carry so it's coming up again)

:ironicat:

Can't wait for the NRA to make a statement on this.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fishmech posted:

I thought Pacifica's major problem was they let a bunch of people pushing bullshit "alternative medicine" stuff into their broadcasting schedule, and that turns off most people with half a brain from wanting to stick around and listen to other stuff? And also just a bunch of people doing shows that are plugs for various other scammy things, the equivalent of if like Glenn Beck was just directly hawking scammy gold companies throughout a radio show instead of during sponsor time.

I heard this has been an issue with the west coast stations, although there were a couple of individual shows in Houston doing this. At least one of them is no longer on the air, as of the last time I was up there. The infowars crowd was also trying to get airtime, but noone at KPFT likes them so they've been pushed out consistently. It'd probably be a bigger problem if the station was in Austin, Jones was all over the public stations up there before he got banned from them all for being himself (and getting his rear end kicked in the process)

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My friend works for the Republican Party and got to meet Newt Gingrich a couple of years ago. I asked him afterwards what he thought of him and all he could say was "He had the sweatiest and the most limp handshake he had ever felt." He was grossed out greatly.

You don't know gross, the stories about Gingrich's time in Houston for the GOP convention in 1992 are severely hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Can't wait for the NRA to make a statement on this.

I like how white people with guns are stalwart, patriotic defenders of freedom while black people with guns are menacing terrorists that want to take over.

I actually don't know a ton about the NRA. Is it almost entirely full of white people?