Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Touhou?
This poll is closed.
Alice Margatroid 23 15.86%
i'm wrong 61 42.07%
Any/every other Touhou except the one Boom Boom Boom likes 61 42.07%
Total: 145 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

get this

two sentos

sorry, I can't see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Disgusting, sento a best but she is not for THAT

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 2, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

This show made me cry
thats what shoujo does...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ultimately the best thing to come out of blazblue cse was the art gallery

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

get this

two sentos

one is enough.

That's my two sentos.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Ease off there Hannibal.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 2, 2016

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

do you know anything about the other guilty gear games

and you never fight. there is no fighting.
I don't know anything about Guilty Gear. I played a little of X2 on steam, but that's about all of my exposure to Guilty Gear.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

I wish kanye west didn't have such a hard boner, I watched akari sober and was like "oh is that what he is getting at?" It's okay but nothing remakable.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

when mario reads shoujo his heart goes into a doki doki panic

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Guilty Gear as a series comes out rather infrequently even with updates and wasn't doing all of the money for Arcsys. Despite how fighting game fans react, BB as a whole is more popular in Guilty Gear and was made as their next gen fighting game and meant to be less frustrating to appeal to newcomers while also having a dedicated story that's meant to appeal to people who try to just play FGs by themselves but don't have enough content to do so with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Baal posted:

they already have these regardless of story modes though
yeah but without story modes you don't really get the chance to explore those personalities and motivations

and sometimes you can even have character development

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Butt Ghost posted:

I don't know anything about Guilty Gear. I played a little of X2 on steam, but that's about all of my exposure to Guilty Gear.

here are the required facts: ky kiske is the king, sol-badguy is an angry foster uncle babysitting ky's son, elphelt is cute

i haven't actually watched the entirety of guilty gear xrd's story yet

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

get this

two sentos

a second sento has hit the thread

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Ease off there Hannibal.

i get the ref

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

this is probably why it doesn't make sense to you, xrd's plot is directly tied into lots of past stuff, especially gg2: overture

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I dunno how Xrd's changed the status quo but Guilty Gear's story and world are insane and convoluted and I love it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Butt Ghost posted:

Why are you expecting to understand anything to a sequel then?

Endorph posted:

yeah but without story modes you don't really get the chance to explore those personalities and motivations

and sometimes you can even have character development

That's not untrue, but my point was characters and personality have always sort of been a thing for FG characters, it's true you don't get as indepth with them though

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Quest For Glory II posted:

thats what shoujo does...

Nah the fact it reminds me of my ring dance... long story message me about it

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Baal posted:

That's not untrue, but my point was characters and personality have always sort of been a thing for FG characters, it's true you don't get as indepth with them though

I took DP's question as asking why FGs have stories period, not Story Modes specifically.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah my bad then

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
My question was more about story modes but regardless I learned a lot

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Things you don't do in arizona; leave porch open

Snek is and remains worst girl

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Bad Seafood posted:

I dunno how Xrd's changed the status quo but Guilty Gear's story and world are insane and convoluted and I love it.

while blazblue is convoluted in the sense that i have no loving idea at what point anything is happening where and why, guilty gear is convoluted in the best sense in that if you were to play the first game and skip to xrd you'd go from sol-badguy and ky being rivals fighting in a tournament to ky being the king, with sol-badguy as his gruff traveling friend who's secretly a super ultimate weapon and is now babysitting his son, who ky kiske had with his half super bioweapon wife

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Baal posted:

Why are you expecting to understand anything to a sequel then?
Because I remember hearing that the previous games didn't have any plots at all. If that is wrong, I might go back then.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Butt Ghost posted:

Because I remember hearing that the previous games didn't have any plots at all.

You heard wrong then because even the first Guilty Gear had a plot as bare bones as it was and Xrd's story picks up from Guilty Gear 2 a game with an actual story

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

Because I remember hearing that the previous games didn't have any plots at all. If that is wrong, I might go back then.
the people who told you that were giant liars

the earlier gg games didn't have super in-depth story modes but they had tons of backstory and stuff and there were even a few manga

and guilty gear 2: overture was actually really plot heavy

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Every fighting game with specific character endings has lots of plot

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Xrd's story mode picks up from Xrd's Arcade mode which picks up from GG2, so the actual Xrd story begins in the arcade mode

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

the people who told you that were giant liars

the earlier gg games didn't have super in-depth story modes but they had tons of backstory and stuff and there were even a few manga

and guilty gear 2: overture was actually really plot heavy
Oh man, but isn't 2 supposed to be a bad moba? I might just read the wiki for that one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heck guilty gear x and onward actually have story modes with at least some plot, even if it's mostly talking heads every character has multiple endings and even route splits/dialogue options.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a hack n slash/moba game, it's not good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Baal posted:

Also Xrd's story mode picks up from Xrd's Arcade mode which picks up from GG2, so the actual Xrd story begins in the arcade mode

lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i haven't played through arcade mode once as anyone but elphelt so i have no idea what happens in it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

Oh man, but isn't 2 supposed to be a bad moba? I might just read the wiki for that one.
2 is kind of dynasty warriors more than anything, just with you summoning troops to fight for you. it isn't really like a MOBA, I'd compare it more to, idk, sacrifice if you ever played that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it still isn't very good though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Colonel posted:

i haven't played through arcade mode once as anyone but elphelt so i have no idea what happens in it

It gives context as to what the gently caress is happening at the start of the story mode for literally every character except Elphelt who was added to the console version which is why she doesn't have scenes for her arcade mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

edit: ^I see

Baal posted:

I did figure out that there was plot in the Arcade after trying arcade mode. So all of that is canon? It's not like some other fighting games where the plot changes slightly depending on your character?

• Locked thread