Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, pretty much. But I'd argue the music's still better :colbert: The remixes at least- I love how you can start with Beloved Tomboyish Girl and end up with this Snowy Waltz.

CommissarMega has a new favorite as of 08:24 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

So what you're saying is, that Touhou is the Japanese Homestuck?

Touhou is the whimsical, cake cooking grandma that loves adventure and silly pranks to Homestuck's nerdy but modern minded kid. Literally, Touhou's been doing this massive, self propelled fandom stuff long before Homestuck has.

Also, the Touhou music scene pretty much hits every genre ever.

CommissarMega posted:

You forgot your music link, bub:
Thor- Alpha Break VI (it's a remix of Luna Dial)

Speaking of which, that's made by Ziki_7, a group that I like to listen to for their more experimental music. Not the most unusual one ever, but I like this one.

If you're not into that, I can instead recommend Dust_Box_49. Or this track by them.

Ramos has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Jan 2, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nanomashoes posted:

So what you're saying is, that Touhou is the Japanese Homestuck?
quick, compare it to [popular thing I don't like], that strengthens your argument

at least post fanart while you bitch

as for touhou music, the touhou music megatorrent from like six years ago had 35,000 tracks in it. I can't even imagine how many are out there now

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ramos posted:

Touhou is the whimsical, cake cooking grandma that loves adventure and silly pranks to Homestuck's nerdy but modern minded kid.

Both of these sound nothing like what I've seen of either Tohou nor Homestuck.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

quick, compare it to [popular thing I don't like], that strengthens your argument

at least post fanart while you bitch

as for touhou music, the touhou music megatorrent from like six years ago had 35,000 tracks in it. I can't even imagine how many are out there now

When did I say that either was bad? You seem pretty insecure.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Fellow Touhou fans, please heed my words

Do not attempt to explain it any more

Just let them dislike it if that's how they feel

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Both of these sound nothing like what I've seen of either Tohou nor Homestuck.

Let me tell you about Homestuck...

It involves a nerdy but modern minded kid eventually teaming up with the alternate timeline version of his whimsical, cake cooking grandma that loves adventure and silly pranks.

edit: SFT, do as you wish, but I'm enjoying myself a lot at the moment.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I don't dislike it. I nothing it. It's just odd to hear the comparison Ramos posted given what I have seen of it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ramos posted:

If you're not into that, I can instead recommend Dust_Box_49.

Holy poo poo, I was wondering what the name of this track was, and now I have a name to go with it! Thanks man!

That being said, my music tastes are fairly plebian- most of it's just your typical uplifting orchestra from Tutti Sound or Morrigan, or loads of metal.

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't think he said it was bad, he was just comparing it to another strangely popular phenomenon.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Let them hate, so long as they fear (our sperg).

Also, finally found a reupload of my favourite Master Spark remix! Have some Touhou Ragtime!

EDIT: Or if you're into more Western music...

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I don't dislike it. I nothing it. It's just odd to hear the comparison Ramos posted given what I have seen of it.

The main similarities is just a large cast of diverse characters with a fandom that's encouraged to get creative with ideas and a loose sense of what's canon. That's about it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fair enough, but I was more on the whole "cookie grandma and nerd with modern sensibilities" bit. That's neither here nor there though. I ain't hating.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Actually, Homestuck is the American Tohou, and they are both for awful nerds.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That was more a reference towards that actually being a relationship between two characters in Homestuck. Really though, Homestuck tends to look at literature and parody or otherwise analyze it, overly so a lot of the time. Touhou's your grandma and is just happy making silly little fairy tales with no real extra analytical depth beyond that other than a sort of reference to mythical time where a lots of really cool stuff happened a long ago.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Skellybones posted:

Actually, Homestuck is the American Tohou, and they are both for awful nerds.

poo poo, you're right. No idea how to respond to that. Mind you, with tunes like Kobito of the Shining Needle being the default for Touhou music, I think it's easy to see why people like that aspect of it, at least.

Oh, and do you know what else if for awful nerds (or at least, the awfully nerdy)? Overblown fantasy media, and I think the Kobito remix Four Children would be perfect for those people.

People who are into J-dance music are also kind of grody, aren't they? Good thing Kobito remixes like Love of my Life exist for them.

But truly, the most malodorous people are the Ren Faire people, for whom Kobito remixes like Floating Cloud must have surely been made.

:v:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CommissarMega posted:

poo poo, you're right. No idea how to respond to that. Mind you, with tunes like Kobito of the Shining Needle being the default for Touhou music, I think it's easy to see why people like that aspect of it, at least.

Oh, and do you know what else if for awful nerds (or at least, the awfully nerdy)? Overblown fantasy media, and I think the Kobito remix Four Children would be perfect for those people.

People who are into J-dance music are also kind of grody, aren't they? Good thing Kobito remixes like Love of my Life exist for them.

But truly, the most malodorous people are the Ren Faire people, for whom Kobito remixes like Floating Cloud must have surely been made.

These are all bad and you should probably talk to an ear doctor if you enjoy it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Improbable Lobster posted:

These are all bad and you should probably talk to an ear doctor if you enjoy it.

That music's cool and good and you're not :colbert:

Now, liking stuff like Lonesome Werewolf, or its remixes like Frantic Wolf, now I'll admit you have a point.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ramos posted:

That was more a reference towards that actually being a relationship between two characters in Homestuck.

You're not supposed to spring the trap on yourself.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
loving anime is loving bad!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

You're not supposed to spring the trap on yourself.

Ramos posted:

Have you been reading my posts at all?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Paladinus posted:

Nanomashoes posted:

When did I say that either was bad? You seem pretty insecure.
Because goons have a weird hateboner for homestuck. I've seen it used a good amount as a pejorative when discussing another popular thing, hence the assumption you were saying the same thing.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

TOUhou?!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

joHOU!?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TouStuck

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://kuvshinov-ilya.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

CommissarMega posted:

Yes

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Paladinus posted:

So don't gently caress anime.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Bloodborne

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

What's Touhou?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

a cartoon duck posted:

What's Touhou?

A miserable little pile of fandom

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

a cartoon duck posted:

What's Touhou?
Tokhes

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wanamingo posted:

But enough talk! Have at you!

(Full song here if anyone wants it.)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's also part of a very good Castlevania styled game, if you've been starved for 2D ones.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
lets get some good seinfeld fan art guys

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Oh C'mon

*downloads all the touhou*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

hubris.height posted:

lets get some good seinfeld fan art guys
I made this for another thread.

This is the original pixel art I found online:

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So I actually know the artist of these ones. He's the son of the author of a very famous Swedish series of children's books and has gotten some of his comics published, and self-published some Touhou doujins he's sold at cons.

Here's something non-Touhou from him, too.

• Locked thread