Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheManSeries posted:

So I've hit the half way point of G Reco and Im not really sold. Bellri is alright, Aida is a joke and I feel like Klim and Mick should be the leads. They are way cooler.

This is all true but the show is good in spite of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think Aida is a joke

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Droyer posted:

I don't think Aida is a joke

Aida was disappointing because I kept expecting her to have a big moment in battle

but her strength is more in leading and being the lynchpin for the megafauna so it's cool

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

It's just not really hooked me yet. I thought I'd like Mask more but he's not even got the regular threatening presence most Char clones do. Bell has thrashed him every single time. I guess I haven't gotten to leader Aida yet. I'm still in the phase where she thinks its a good idea to do suit to suit combat with a loving sniper rifle.

Update: I may drop this show 3 episodes away from finishing. Everything post episode 18 has just been a jarring drop in quality. The pacing is so hosed and it just killed any interest I had in finishing.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 31, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Time to board the depression train and start my first viewing of Victory Gundam!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Time to board the depression train and start my first viewing of Victory Gundam!

You should post about it, in the gundam thread. We had someone else do that and it was a fun time

edit: whoops this is the gundam thread. i got confused

Droyer fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 2, 2016

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

TheManSeries posted:

Update: I may drop this show 3 episodes away from finishing. Everything post episode 18 has just been a jarring drop in quality. The pacing is so hosed and it just killed any interest I had in finishing.

That's too bad. I wouldn't say there's some fantastic change that will win you back, but it's enjoyable for sure.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Droyer posted:

You should post about it, in the gundam thread. We had someone else do that and it was a fun time

edit: whoops this is the gundam thread. i got confused

Oh boy a mass grave and we're barely over the five minute mark.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I feel like Tomino was watching a lot of european war movies when he made F91 and Victory. It very much feels like one of those, except in space.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Victory was fun, in the "I'm a horrible person for saying that" sort of way.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm six episodes into my first viewing of Zeta. The OP is fantastic and so is the rest of the music I've heard so far. This is also pretty dark.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Are you watching the dub or with the original Japanese OP? Both are pretty good, just curious.

Zeta is my favorite Gundam series, along with Wing. I hope you continue to enjoy yourself!

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Watching the dub because dubs tend to be easier for me to stick with when it comes to actually following through a whole series. I had never seen the dub mentioned in this thread before I came across it so I made sure it wasn't one of those weird ones like the Big Green version of DBZ.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Dangerous Person posted:

Watching the dub because dubs tend to be easier for me to stick with when it comes to actually following through a whole series. I had never seen the dub mentioned in this thread before I came across it so I made sure it wasn't one of those weird ones like the Big Green version of DBZ.

It's a solid dub, if a bit Canadian.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
This dub is very Canadian. I wish they could have gotten Brad Swaile for Amuro but they guy they got is close enough that it doesn't bother me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like the Zeta dub, though i only switched to it around Hong Kong

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

Yeah the Zeta dub isn't too popular from what I've seen. This forum is one of the few places I go where it's mostly received positively. I personally like it a lot. Kamille's VA does a fantastic job and I liked the new Char. I think he does well as Quattro. Also lots of other great performances from characters you have yet to meet.

As for the soundtrack, it is one of my favorite Gundam OSTs. You have many great songs to hear in addition to many great voices.

Are you liking Kamille? He tends to be a Love/Hate sort of main protagonist. I love him because he makes by far the strongest first impression I have ever seen out of a Gundam MC.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I think he's kind of a dick but he's a teenager and he's had a pretty traumatizing couple of days on top of his newtype stuff so I don't mind him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are very few Gundam protagonists who have as bad a series of days as Kamille does. You have to get into the traumatized child soldier set before you even get close.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8LtNBpqc_M

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

ImpAtom posted:

There are very few Gundam protagonists who have as bad a series of days as Kamille does. You have to get into the traumatized child soldier set before you even get close.

Kamille hasn't got poo poo on Uso's level of trauma, which says a lot about Victory Gundam. Kamille has a bad start which mostly levels out, Uso starts bad and gets worse.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Reds posted:

Kamille hasn't got poo poo on Uso's level of trauma, which says a lot about Victory Gundam. Kamille has a bad start which mostly levels out, Uso starts bad and gets worse.

Usso is basically a hardened veteran with no regard for human life by the end of Victory.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdCFZ5QVNKE

:unsmith:

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Logicblade posted:

Usso is basically a hardened veteran with no regard for human life by the end of Victory.

Uso is single-handedly responsible the deaths of thousands of Zanscare soldiers by the end thanks to that anti-ship cannon he fired that one time. His killcount is incredibly high even without it.

Plus he's one of the most creative and quick-thinking pilots in all of mecha anime. He goes through more legs than Amuro does shields.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Erg posted:

That's too bad. I wouldn't say there's some fantastic change that will win you back, but it's enjoyable for sure.

I went ahead and finished it this morning. I'm still pretty down on it. The final fights were pretty neat, but a lot of it felt pandering. Was there a need for them to fight in Jaburo? So did Klim originally die? I was flicking through tv tropes and it said he did. I watched this through the OZC Blu-ray so I know a lot of the final episode changes.

All in all, I think IBO does way more for me and I'm really bummed because I really wanted to like G-Reco. I still think the G-Self is one of the best Gundam designs. Klim and Mick are definitely the high points of that show.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kamille's mother dies by like episode 4 and his dad not too far off from that. Usso had a lot more poo poo happen to him technically, but Kamille had a lot more super personal losses.

He did throw Jerid off a mountain though, at least.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dangerous Person posted:

I think he's kind of a dick but he's a teenager and he's had a pretty traumatizing couple of days on top of his newtype stuff so I don't mind him

I still think how oddly hilarious things escalate with Kamille. From playing hookie and getting into a fist fight with a soldier over having A GIRLS NAME to being an orphan running with an illegal rebel group with a stolen war machine.

What a day indeed.

Also, the theme from the first opening of Zeta grows on you. Stardust Memories is my favourite opening song and montage.

Tae posted:

He did throw Jerid off a mountain though, at least.

This and the other videos never get old.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 2, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheManSeries posted:

So did Klim originally die? I was flicking through tv tropes and it said he did. I watched this through the OZC Blu-ray so I know a lot of the final episode changes.

He lived to the end in the original broadcast too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That's one of the great pieces of music I was saying Dangerous Person had to look forward to. It really is even more lovely in orchestra form, although I miss the guitar.

I'm also really glad I found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgohpd2UstQ&list=FLP-LDRKFvPIJNN5KyW_Gq_Q&index=19

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

That's one of the great pieces of music I was saying Dangerous Person had to look forward to. It really is even more lovely in orchestra form, although I miss the guitar.

I'm also really glad I found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgohpd2UstQ&list=FLP-LDRKFvPIJNN5KyW_Gq_Q&index=19

i prefer the tv version, for the slightly cheesy jazziness of it...but the thumbnail for it on youtube gave away something i wouldn't want to spoil

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Victory Gundam is pretty much Come And See the anime, isn't it?

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
The one thing about the Zeta dub is how they pronounce the word Titans.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Victory Gundam is pretty much Come And See the anime, isn't it?

I wouldn't go that far. I'd imagine you've gotten far enough in to realize that almost no one has plot armor in this series, though.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.

The Missing Link posted:

The one thing about the Zeta dub is how they pronounce the word Titans.

It's been a while since I watched it, but I thought they said it right. In Char's Counter Attack they definitely say it weird.

Flippinlikebirds fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 3, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

LeadSled posted:

I wouldn't go that far. I'd imagine you've gotten far enough in to realize that almost no one has plot armor in this series, though.

Well not as brutal but it sure pulls no punches when it comes to the damage of war now.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

In the dub they also jump between Rose and Roseammy I think, it's been a while. It took me a bit to realize who they were referring to.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Flippinlikebirds posted:

It's been a while since I watched it, but I thought they said it right. In Char's Counter Attack they definitely say it weird.

The proper way to say it is 'Tih-TANs', I remember in one of the SRW games some guy says it 'Tai-tans' and gets corrected. So I don't know which way you think is 'weird', but that's something to keep in mind.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Son Ryo posted:

The proper way to say it is 'Tih-TANs', I remember in one of the SRW games some guy says it 'Tai-tans' and gets corrected. So I don't know which way you think is 'weird', but that's something to keep in mind.

They're saying it in English, not greek. It's tai-tan.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Begemot posted:

They're saying it in English, not greek. It's tai-tan.

According to who? They're not referring to actual gigantic monsters, it's a name, they can have it pronounced however they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Son Ryo posted:

According to who? They're not referring to actual gigantic monsters, it's a name, they can have it pronounced however they want.

Yeah, my username actually pronounced like "big woman pleasing dick" and I'm amazed how many people get this wrong. :iiam: