Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I played a few rounds of Concept and then people starting playing around with their phones and watching Kathy Griffin and Anderson Cooper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

silvergoose posted:

Ah okay. Googling did...not help me.

Apologies for any confusion

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Has anyone tried Battle of LITS? It's a pretty clever 2-player abstract game. It looks like something you might have already played but it's surprisingly deep.

The physical game comes with 4 boards to play on, but I think it works better online with randomized boards. I can't think of many games where the very first move is this important or interesting.

It's on BoardGameArena if you want to check it out. It's worth enduring their clunky interface.

JayMax fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 1, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Banana Man posted:

Any trip reports on the kemet expansion and if it changes the last turn of the game?

It does, very much so. You only win if you have 8 (or 10) points before you take an action, so everyone gets a full round to stop you unless you went last and were able to win the Dawn battle to go first on the next day. This usually requires winning consecutive Dawn battles, which can be done but isn't easy.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

My family loved Hanabi, and also cheating in Hanabi. "Modular difficulty" ;)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

The worst submarine posted:

My family loved Hanabi, and also cheating in Hanabi. "Modular difficulty" ;)

We love Hanabi when we can be creative with the hints. "make sure you discard the right one!" :haw:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Played Shakespeare and ended up 2 points behind the winner (one point behind 2nd place). It's good and balanced, but AP can make people take forever; one of the people at the table did NOT grok basic game concepts. At all. Across all six rounds.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

TtA 2.0 is live on boardgaming online!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The General posted:

TtA 2.0 is live on boardgaming online!

nope. i won't do it. you can't make me

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jedit posted:

Use all four colours. I don't even know how you could drop red or blue without unbalancing the game.

You use all four colors in that all four sets of tiles are in the game. You still only get 3 pyramids in your city. If you want the 4th color, you have to go capture another person's pyramid of that color and utilize it. Which is kind of fun in its own right.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

COOL CORN posted:

We love Hanabi when we can be creative with the hints. "make sure you discard the right one!" :haw:

I really love Hanabi but it is a flagrant violator of a problem a lot of games have, namely gently caress You Colorblind People, What You Wanted to Play Me?

Like, personally, Hanabi isn't too bad cause I read kanji fine so my group just writes water = blue (or whatever, obviously I don't know the colors) and it just leads to some awkward/funny miscommunication, but so many games are entirely unplayable just because I can't tell red from green or blue from purple.

Is it really that hard to have a shape-based distinction in addition to the color distinction? I know it's miles from actual real disabilities in terms of harm, but you have no idea how sad it is getting a game and then not being able to play it until I get my girlfriend or whatever to sharpie what color components are onto them.

Fake edit to be not entirely whiney : I'm doing an on-going campaign of Imperial Assault with my friends. In general it's a FFG ameritrash clusterfuck that has lots of fiddly bits and the part of me that is serious about design says meh... But I just got a lightsaber and the ability to attack all adjacent enemies that stacks with the lightsaber so that I damage enemies adjacent to them to, and my inner 8 year old comes out and I just make lightsaber noises.

Basically I have no idea how I feel about the game. It's like I'm having an affair or something, but Darth Vader's involved. Thoughts?

PS yes, it pisses me off that I have to hand cards to other people to ask what color dice I roll, and then ask which dice are that color. And of course I get constant ribbing, and often the wrong dice.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

We played Dixit this afternoon which went over well then played codenames and it went over so well 2 of the girls declared it their favorite game and had us bring it to dinner where we played it 4 more times :cool:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Broken Loose posted:

nope. i won't do it. you can't make me

I see you have doubts, my son. It is okay. Doubt visits us all some times. The gentle hand of the Vlaather is often hard to perceive. But it will wait to guide you home.

We do not need to make you see. In time, you shall cut open your own eyes to witness the glory.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Mister Sinewave posted:

Played Pictomania for the first time. I liked the design but it's definitely a gamer's game. The rules are sound and procedurally tight, but will overwhelm non gamers unused to thinking in game terms.
Haven't gotten it to the table yet, but from reading the rules the actual play seems fairly straightforward: draw your picture while guessing everyone else's by playing the corresponding # card, if you finish first then grab the piece in the middle with the most stars.

The scoring is somewhat involved, but it seems like you can just walk everyone through it if they can do some simple math.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Finally got to play Keyflower. The tile auctions and meeple economy are super-interesting, and the game was much faster-playing than I expected; I loved it until the winter phase, which felt in some ways like the third age of 7 Wonders to me, in that there is a political struggle for these cards that are going to score one or more players a crapton of points if they get them. It's even more political in Keyflower than in 7 Wonders, since the tiles and much of their scoring potential are open information. I'm not saying that's worse than the possibility of somebody simply being dealt the guild card they needed, but it made the game dip a little in my estimation. I felt that the big-points finish could eliminate or greatly exaggerate the impact of the previous seasons. My impression was formed on one play with two people; with more people, you might not even see your own big point cards show up in the winter auction, right? I think that would suck a bit, if the game were close up until then and the final 25% of the game started with a choice between losing by a little and losing by a lot.

Do I see the game rightly, people who have played it more than once?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

We played Dixit this afternoon which went over well then played codenames and it went over so well 2 of the girls declared it their favorite game and had us bring it to dinner where we played it 4 more times :cool:

Now play Codenames with Dixit cards. :getin:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Xiahou Dun posted:

I really love Hanabi but it is a flagrant violator of a problem a lot of games have, namely gently caress You Colorblind People, What You Wanted to Play Me?

Like, personally, Hanabi isn't too bad cause I read kanji fine so my group just writes water = blue (or whatever, obviously I don't know the colors) and it just leads to some awkward/funny miscommunication, but so many games are entirely unplayable just because I can't tell red from green or blue from purple.

Is it really that hard to have a shape-based distinction in addition to the color distinction? I know it's miles from actual real disabilities in terms of harm, but you have no idea how sad it is getting a game and then not being able to play it until I get my girlfriend or whatever to sharpie what color components are onto them.

PS yes, it pisses me off that I have to hand cards to other people to ask what color dice I roll, and then ask which dice are that color. And of course I get constant ribbing, and often the wrong dice.

The fireworks do have different shapes, though. I've found Hanabi to be pretty friendly to my variety of colorblindness, since it's all midtones. I'm definitely with you in that more games need to keep it in mind and am sick of having to ask what color things are.

Roll for the Galaxy is a pain in my rear end for this. Lucky for me the blue dice have a symbol the purple ones don't. They otherwise did a pretty good job. 7 Wonders is another one that sucks. Brown/red/green and blue/purple in the same game. I've just ended up learning what cards do certain things.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

I really love Hanabi but it is a flagrant violator of a problem a lot of games have

Is it really that hard to have a shape-based distinction in addition to the color distinction?

My copy of Hanabi (Abacusspiele) has white squares, yellow triangles, blue pi, green x, red circles, and rainbow pinwheels. Sounds like it would be worthwhile to replace your set.

We have a few colourblind people in our games groups, and it seems there's almost always a shape or other indicator these days, or just colours that are distinct enough for them. Mage Knight had a minor problem though, the red/green mana symbols aren't that meaningful so they get mixed up. Can't remember the last one other than that.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

homullus posted:

Finally got to play Keyflower. The tile auctions and meeple economy are super-interesting, and the game was much faster-playing than I expected; I loved it until the winter phase, which felt in some ways like the third age of 7 Wonders to me, in that there is a political struggle for these cards that are going to score one or more players a crapton of points if they get them. It's even more political in Keyflower than in 7 Wonders, since the tiles and much of their scoring potential are open information. I'm not saying that's worse than the possibility of somebody simply being dealt the guild card they needed, but it made the game dip a little in my estimation. I felt that the big-points finish could eliminate or greatly exaggerate the impact of the previous seasons. My impression was formed on one play with two people; with more people, you might not even see your own big point cards show up in the winter auction, right? I think that would suck a bit, if the game were close up until then and the final 25% of the game started with a choice between losing by a little and losing by a lot.

I feel like you're misunderstanding something about how winter tiles are chosen. There's no way for your own big point card to not 'show up' because you get to pick which ones you submit, and all the ones you submit are used. You know what you have available from the beginning of the game so you should be playing with that in mind; if you get to winter and have no way to benefit from any of your possible winter tiles then you hosed up badly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, Winter tiles are like hidden objectives and you put in and try to bid for the ones that will benefit you the most. Any that don't give you a lot of points or help someone else more are generally better off left out.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Got a hand in Codenames that stumped me.

Had to get across 2 of these three:

Contract, Engine, Parachute.

And not say:
Drop, Car, or Crash. Or Jet!

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 3, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Golden Bee posted:

And not say:
Drop, Car, or Crash.

Depends on what else is on the board, but Hangar 2?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Jet 2

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Engine and Crash.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

And not say:
Drop, Car, or Crash.

Kill: 2 is the best I can come up with. Depending what else is left Golden: 2 might work as well.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Jedit posted:

Kill: 2 is the best I can come up with. Depending what else is left Golden: 2 might work as well.

Yeah I was gonna say handshake 2 but golden is probably better to get to parachute. Kill is still better though.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

Kill: 2 is the best I can come up with.

Car, Crash?

Played Tokaido and Isla Dorada at New Year. Tokaido was fun, but there were five of us and the game felt cramped. Isla Dorada not so good as we spent the whole game going over the same quarter of the map, even if I did accidentally Juju my friend and prevent him getting 16 points for ending in a certain place, hehe. It really needs some rule about returning to locations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

House Louse posted:

Car, Crash?

Yes, I hear about kill cars all the time.

Crash is a minor concern still, but anyone can associate anything with almost anything else if they want to stretch it enough. The aim is to make the connections obvious so your team won't stretch. "Killing an engine" and "contract killing" are more ready associations than "kill crash" for most people, I expect (so it should probably be Killing: 2 rather than Kill: 2).

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Jedit posted:

Yes, I hear about kill cars all the time.

Crash is a minor concern still, but anyone can associate anything with almost anything else if they want to stretch it enough. The aim is to make the connections obvious so your team won't stretch. "Killing an engine" and "contract killing" are more ready associations than "kill crash" for most people, I expect (so it should probably be Killing: 2 rather than Kill: 2).

No, the aim is to force your team to stretch to the correct cards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CancerCakes posted:

No, the aim is to force your team to stretch to the correct cards.

Which is universally best done by giving them the least distance to stretch.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

It's been one week since I upgraded to Deluxe Hanabi and left the regular version with my family and they've already built wooden holders for the cards. A+ family

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any verdict on the Chaos in the Old World expansion in here? Use it all, use some of it or throw it all out?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jedit posted:

"Killing an engine" and "contract killing" are more ready associations than "kill crash" for most people

I find that hard to believe.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

People are much more often killed in crashes than in contracts.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

homullus posted:

1) I'm not sure what you mean by "you might not even see your own big point cards show up in the winter auction". You begin the game with a "hand" of winter tiles, and at the start of the winter phase you choose which are to be included in the auction. You are guaranteed to see at least one of your winter tiles show up for bid (because you've chosen it to be there). You aren't guaranteed to WIN the tile, but each player is generally going to be focusing on their own tiles that they have included, and you can always choose winter tiles that are safe "backup" options and leave out any that would be of high value to your opponents.

2) I've found that the majority of my points often come from autumn tiles. The winter tiles are not always what decides the game.

3) If you don't like the idea of planning around a winter tile during the other seasons and then having it snatched a way from you by an opponent's bid, you might want to look at the Merchants expansion. Merchants introduces "contracts", which are objectives similar to winter tiles except they can't be taken away from you. It gives you more ways to score, so the winter tiles become less important.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

misguided rage posted:

I feel like you're misunderstanding something about how winter tiles are chosen. There's no way for your own big point card to not 'show up' because you get to pick which ones you submit, and all the ones you submit are used. You know what you have available from the beginning of the game so you should be playing with that in mind; if you get to winter and have no way to benefit from any of your possible winter tiles then you hosed up badly.

I did misunderstand the winter tile draw. We didn't mess it up when we played, since it was two players; I was mistakenly imagining a scenario where more tiles might be nominated for auction than could be selected for auction.

Maybe it was just beginner's luck, then. In the Spring, I was able to acquire the Miner (iron then gold + iron) and the Gold Mine (gold then 2 gold), while my opponent got the Keystone Quarry (1 then 3 stone). In the fall I was able to acquire the Stone Yard (1 then 3 points for each stone there at winter's end). I already had some gold sitting around and could easily get more, and could also use my opponent's Quarry to get 3 stone. We had all the transport tiles come up and get taken, too, so there was no shortage of resource transport. I got a LOT of points from that upgraded Stone Yard, since I got 3 points each for every gold and stone I had. There was basically no way for him to win when winter started as long as I played the game at all, and so he chose to lose by a little rather than by a lot. He offered to call it at the end of Autumn, and normally I'm all for that, but I wanted to see what a "normal" score might look like. I won 87 to 62.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Electric Hobo posted:

Any verdict on the Chaos in the Old World expansion in here? Use it all, use some of it or throw it all out?

Only use it for the Horned Rat faction, and then only if you're going to play with 5. Everything else in it messes with the balance of the game.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Speaking of, what do people think of Blood Rage

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Aghama posted:

Haven't gotten it to the table yet, but from reading the rules the actual play seems fairly straightforward: draw your picture while guessing everyone else's by playing the corresponding # card, if you finish first then grab the piece in the middle with the most stars.

The scoring is somewhat involved, but it seems like you can just walk everyone through it if they can do some simple math.

I describe it as a gamer's game because gamers of any kind will have the lightbulb moments about what is good and why either during the How To Play talk, or after a demo round.

People whose gaming experience is limited will be challenged (not that they can't get it - but it is some challenge) since there is a lot going on that as a gamer it's easy to take for granted as making clear sense.

Thread hasn't talked Pictomania in a long time and it's only kind of related but I remember more than one person with a group that had no idea what to do once they (the game owner) left the table.

Though it's possible it's a rules explaining issue, or maybe some people really just wanted Pictionary.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Stormgale posted:

Speaking of, what do people think of Blood Rage

It's great. Are you familiar with the rules and gameplay and just looking for impressions? It plays fast, and it's easy to teach. In action it plays like a more free-form and open Kemet. You spend rage to do actions and that is the only thing limiting you, you can repeat them any number of times each round as long as you have rage. Drafting cards each round also mimics Kemet's tiles, but without the economic juggling and planning needed to do well. Combat is simple but engaging, and I like that others can move in to defend against your pillages and that losers keep the cards they used in battle, encouraging further actions that round.

My only beef with it after two plays is that the monster expansions were Kickstarter exclusives, but the Gods and Mystics weren't so that's still two modules of content you can add. I also don't like that the 5th player expansion is separate, but I get hat t was to cut costs on the base box. Some combos of cards are really strong, but that's kinda the whole point of a drafting game, not letting any one person get all the best cards, etc.