Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
God drat it game. 1$ pull got me a 4* Defender (ff 1). loving used all my luck on the half-price pulls late last year. Now I am cursed to A. Get no synergies for events and B. No decent rods (my best one without synergy is the christmas rod)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kemix posted:

God drat it game. 1$ pull got me a 4* Defender (ff 1). loving used all my luck on the half-price pulls late last year. Now I am cursed to A. Get no synergies for events and B. No decent rods (my best one without synergy is the christmas rod)

:hfive: "used all my luck on the first batch of Lucky Draws" buddy. I can't complain about having Runic and the Selphie stick, but I literally have not seen a character relic since then, and the only 5* I've seen was a Dragon Armlet during Reno's event.

For the record, my 100gem got me an Ice Armor IV. It was like my eighth one. At this point Tyro is smashing them to bits to chill Dr. Mog's margaritas.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

AweStriker posted:

Thread, I'd like help making a decision.

I'd like to pull on this event since I'm strongly lacking in X synergy, but I'm not sure which banner to do it on.

My current stock of 5* relics looks like this:

(Orange background = unique SB equipment, blue background = shared SB equipment, white background = no SB equipment)
(Purple text = magic/resistance/mind item, red text = attack/defense item, green text = balanced between the two)

I'm in a similar conundrum in that I really need X synergy bad (my only natural 5* relic is an Emerald Shield, which... great) but I'm not really feeling much on these banners except Guardian Targe and Shiranui, which are of course on separate banners. There's no way I'm going to beat Ultimate Yunalesca with the RS I have now, so I either need to make a 3-draw on one of these banners and hope for the best or I might just have to write that accessory off. I've got 50 mythril already set aside to chase Peacemaker in a little while, and after that nothing's really knocking my socks off except for the Kefka banners so I'm saving for the next festival unless I decide I really want Maduin's Horn for my girl Terra and don't want to chance the banners getting remixed from JP for the worse like they have been in the past.

You have a way better spread of relics than I do though, I'm jealous.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

It's mostly Kimahri that's loving awful.

Kimahri is really just missing That One Relic. He'll get Lifesiphon down the line, so if he gets a really good SB that'll make up for a lot of his shortcomings - Ronso Jump is decent but nothing amazing. And he does get Skygrinder, so with a bit more ATK he'll be an okay, if not exemplary Dragoon.

If he had more Mind he could at least debuff, but... eh.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

KataraniSword posted:

:hfive: "used all my luck on the first batch of Lucky Draws" buddy.

I had absolutely fantastic lucky banners myself, was pulling at least one relic per banner actually. Don't REMEMBER what all I got, but I had some good luck over the course of that event.

My synergy is pretty much all over the place honestly, but what I do have is pretty decent. Even got Gilgamesh's sword during his event on my 1$ pull. Still, I need more rods and mage equipment. I'm just happy to have an ice staff/judgement rod for my white mage/black mage.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Will it work if I go into the Melusine fight with all mages, cast sleep on her immediately, and then spam fire magic until she is dead? Or does she have too much health for that?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Augus posted:

Will it work if I go into the Melusine fight with all mages, cast sleep on her immediately, and then spam fire magic until she is dead? Or does she have too much health for that?

You're going to need lots of hones. Also plenty of S/Ling because Sleep only has a 30% chance to hit.

I also recommend a Focus RW if you've got one and sticking Faith on either your Sleep caster or Lenna to buff your damage dealers that aren't already hitting the damage cap. Melusine hits like a truck if you aren't using Shell or SG/SS2 so if you don't bring healing you'd best pray she doesn't stay awake for long enough to get ANY actions off.

Even using this strategy it was a pretty frustrating fight for me, hope you've got good mage gear if you're going to go that route.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Augus posted:

It'd probably work, but you will likely have to refresh Sleep at least once. Unfortunately we only have the lovely 1* sleep spell (or the equally lovely 3* sleep buster) to inflict it, and I remain convinced that there is some stat check that goes into whether or not statuses stick. They seem to stick much easier on trash mobs, but take forever to stick on high-level bosses. It took me about 20 tries to get sleep to stick even once in that drat fight, so be prepared for a lot of S/L. You only get about two tries before she barrier changes.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Mastered Exdeath Ultimate! 3 medals lost, but who gives a gently caress about that. I wasn't sure if I had strong enough abilities or damage output to get the job done, but this the following setup worked.

Pecil 71: Double Cut R5, Shellga R2, Warrior's Burden [Rampart]
Yuna 50: Curaga R5, Carbuncle R1, Dr. Mog's Teachings, [Hymn of the Fayth]
Red XIII 65: Full Break R1, Magic Breakdown R2, Mako Might [Lunatic High]
Rinoa 71: Firaga R5, Blizzaga R5, Devotion [Angel Wing Bolt]
Greg 65: Retaliate R5, Armor Break R4, Dragoon's Determination [Morphing Time!]
RW: Stoneskin II

With only -aga spells and Retaliate with no Advance or other things to boost Greg's attack aside from his own default SB, I was honestly not sure I'd be able to throw out enough damage before running out of mitigation or Exdeath's phase 2 beat the ever-living poo poo out of me. I started the fight by immediately throwing up my mitigation. Once that was done, I had everyone except Rinoa start feeding their attacks into Greg. Red contributed with his breakdowns, and otherwise stuck some direct attacks onto Exdeath to rebuild his SB bar so I could get another Lunatic High up later. All was going well and I chipped away at Exdeath's health bar. At key moments I hit Hymn of the Fayth and the AOE heal/regen was a HUGE help.

I somehow timed the switch to phase 2 perfectly and got Carbuncle up right on time. From there I got worried as Exdeath did a few AOE spells on me and brought me to the brink. Fortunately, I had another Hymn charge stored up and was able to recover from it. I then got lucky as he spent the rest of the bottle doing single target spells and combined with him nuking himself to death and just enough damage from Greg/Rinoa, I walked out with the win.

Having either Yuna/Lenna's SB with AOE heal and heavy regen may really be the key to mastering this thing, I think. Some form of Hastega also is a big help.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

paperwind posted:

Having either Yuna/Lenna's SB with AOE heal and heavy regen may really be the key to mastering this thing, I think. Some form of Hastega also is a big help.

Yeah, if you're going the Carbuncle route, the heavy regen will keep you afloat. With Runic, you'll be fine with a non-regen medica and spot-curagas, though you may lose a medal in Actions Taken.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah, didn't even come close to cutting it. Oh well!

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Getsuya posted:

Too bad I don't have Krile yet, or I could switch between her and Rydia to get the 4/5 synchro.

You do know there's an event on now, where you can get Krile from a 25-difficulty set of fights, right?

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Augus posted:

Thats what I did and it worked perfectly

Hell only 2 of them spammed fire.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I still haven't even attempted Exdeath, so I'm theory-crafting teams here. Is Advantaliating within reason? I don't have a Hastega relic, but I do have Tyro's SG and Amarant's Aura for Shellga + heavy Regen. I pulled a generic 5* FFV sword too, I'm thinking it would be better to have level 80 Cloud for the extra damage over level 65 Gilgamesh. Besides Aura, I do have Mystery Veil in addition to the Candle Rod for AOE healing to go through Carbuncle (since that does look like it's needed for the second phase).

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Shock Trooper posted:

I still haven't even attempted Exdeath, so I'm theory-crafting teams here. Is Advantaliating within reason? I don't have a Hastega relic, but I do have Tyro's SG and Amarant's Aura for Shellga + heavy Regen. I pulled a generic 5* FFV sword too, I'm thinking it would be better to have level 80 Cloud for the extra damage over level 65 Gilgamesh. Besides Aura, I do have Mystery Veil in addition to the Candle Rod for AOE healing to go through Carbuncle (since that does look like it's needed for the second phase).

Gilgamesh has an advantage over Cloud in terms of his default SB here. Not sure how much ATK Cloud gains being effectively 5 levels higher than Gilgamesh but I suspect not enough to overcome the self ATK buff. Not sure how easy that is to fit into an advantaliate setup though in terms of timing, 4 turns to be at maximum damage seems like a lot.

I didn't Advantaliate on this fight but I suspect the power isn't too different from what I ended up doing. Difference being I took SG as a RW so I had a second cast of it ready to go around 50% health and was covered for that half of the fight, whereas you might have a gap there - not to mention you generate less SB gauge attacking party members iiuc. You're pretty well ruined if he ever hits you with a dispel, but I think everyone is so that's nothing new. Keep in mind the three elemental conditions you need to land for mastery as you plan your party out.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, that's one of the problems with a retaliate setup- attacking the retaliator and missing does not build any SB charge. That means if you're planning to use SG or Amarant's SBs more than once it's going to be difficult, since you'll basically only gain SB when getting hit from Exdeath (or if you're using Tyro for breakdowns or something).

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Can SG/SS2 be dispelled through Dispell?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
So, i'm new to the game, and I have no idea how to actually power through Exdeath (normal / 99 difficulty) - I don't have Carbuncle, I don't have any defensive or healing SBs/SSBs outside of Lenna's regen, and my abilities aren't that good.

But I have a few good pieces of realm-specific equipment and pretty good equipment otherwise.

I get him to 50% pretty reliably, but even with Shellga he does a ton of damage once he starts dual-casting spells. Is there another option for me, or some way I can grind out Carbuncle? Or is that just a roadblock for a player lacking abilities?

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Zone of Danger posted:

Keep in mind the three elemental conditions you need to land for mastery as you plan your party out.

His own single-target spells can be reflected for the requirements though, right?

But yeah, using Tyro and Amarant as retaliate attackers does mean less SB gauge which is a problem since both of those are going to need to be cast more than once. Amarant could maybe contribute a little more damage if I give him Punishing Palm and a Break but then he's not a double hitter. Ugh! Why'd they have to give a stupid monk such a useful SB.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Niton posted:

So, i'm new to the game, and I have no idea how to actually power through Exdeath (normal / 99 difficulty) - I don't have Carbuncle, I don't have any defensive or healing SBs/SSBs outside of Lenna's regen, and my abilities aren't that good.

But I have a few good pieces of realm-specific equipment and pretty good equipment otherwise.

I get him to 50% pretty reliably, but even with Shellga he does a ton of damage once he starts dual-casting spells. Is there another option for me, or some way I can grind out Carbuncle? Or is that just a roadblock for a player lacking abilities?

Find someone with a Runic RW (you can use the one I've set up for this event - ew1W) and pop that when he reaches 50%. It should neuter a huge chunk of his damage, since all of his spells are single-target except Earth Shaker. Make sure to keep Protectga up at that point, too, since Vacuum Wave is physical.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 2, 2016

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Shock Trooper posted:

His own single-target spells can be reflected for the requirements though, right?

I was actually curious about this myself, though you might not get all three of those elements from him in the ~4 turns that SG is good for, and you're taking a lot of damage in the meantime even with all your mitigation up. I guess you're not risking counter dispels there, which is something.

I could imagine there's a perfect attempt in there where you satisfy all the conditions for the fight and are able to kill him before all the defenses come down, but it might be a bit of reloading to make that happen.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

KataraniSword posted:

Find someone with a Runic RW (you can use the one I've set up for this event - ew1W) and pop that when he reaches 50%. It should neuter a huge chunk of his damage, since all of his spells are single-target except Earth Shaker. Make sure to keep Protectga up at that point, too, since Vacuum Wave is physical.

I.. don't even have Protectga available - I joined halfway through the orbs event. I'll be able to have it on Monday, though, which should be just in time. In general, I just lack quality offensive options - anything 3* or higher is rank 2 at best.

Niton fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 2, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Niton posted:

Just checking, but are you bringing break/downs in addition to Shellga? That's pretty standard for tough bosses; breakdowns for their worst offensive moves AND protectga or shellga.

fake edit

Niton posted:

I.. don't even have Protectga available - I joined halfway through the orbs event. I'll be able to have it on Monday, though, which should be just in time. In general, I just lack quality offensive options - anything 3* or higher is rank 2 at best.

Sounds like you need to spend some quality time in the orb dailies. You'll want at least Magic and Power break to rank 3 or 4. For the most part I think the game expects you to have a smattering of good 4* abilities by the time you're taking on 99+ difficulty dungeons; Exdeath is just a particularly tough cookie. You can make do with mostly 3* abilities if you've got decent equips/levels, though.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 2, 2016

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I couldn't beat the last bosses of the elite events until probably my 3rd or 4th week playing this, I wouldn't stress too hard about it. There's a new characters every month, and you'll unlock plenty just going through the dungeons. Most support characters are fairly interchangeable, having their SB can be more important. Make sure to check out the bonus quest stuff to unlock new characters, there's some darn good ones in there.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

paperwind posted:

This was it for me. I tried several combos and all just got crushed consistently in the last 10-25% of his lifebar. Phase 2 imo is about DPS racing, and things like worrying about your shell/advance/reta/metamorphosis dropping or getting dispelled was really cumbersome for me. I settled on mage meta because of this: carbuncle and an AE heal limit break (to heal through what hit when carbuncle drops) makes for a really fast recovery and back to a safe status, while keeping damage high. For me, that ability to just keep on chugging with spells and surviving through the expected near-death drops seemed much more consistently safe.

With reta I felt like things were constantly about to drop. It threw off the rotation hard and my damage output lagged when I re-set up my protection/buffs/reta and such. This fight is about being able to come back from the brink ASAP (multiple times)and damage race him as quick as you can. He has so many "gently caress you" combos, that the longer the fight goes on, the more of a chance he gets to use stuff like dispel/windstorm/earthshock combos.

I used:
RW: SS2
Krile: Thundaga, Thundaja
Terra: Firaja/waterja
Saz: Full break/Mental break, mako might/boon
Yuna: curaga/carbuncle, mog's teachings/HoTF
Yshtola: Diaga/curaga, SS2/zeal

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
"Man, I don't even know what the point is of the common draw. It's not like anyone ever gets anything good from them...

gently caress it. It's not like I have anything to lose."

:staredog: Well, I did need FF8 synergy...

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Valle posted:

You do know there's an event on now, where you can get Krile from a 25-difficulty set of fights, right?

Not in Japan. Japan is doing FF13 characters.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Ah yes, JP is about 6 months ahead right? Well, I guess 99% of event-related posts in this thread don't apply to you then!

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The Mattybee posted:

"Man, I don't even know what the point is of the common draw. It's not like anyone ever gets anything good from them...

gently caress it. It's not like I have anything to lose."

:staredog: Well, I did need FF8 synergy...

I don't think I've ever received anything above 2* in the 9 months I've been playing this game, drat.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Valle posted:

Ah yes, JP is about 6 months ahead right? Well, I guess 99% of event-related posts in this thread don't apply to you then!

Sadly, yeah. Though I can keep everyone abreast of what events are currently happening in JP (though I'm sure I'm not the only one with a JP account or who looks that stuff up anyway). Right now there's the FF13 one for getting Snow, Sazh, Fang, Serah and Lightning and then you can do the harder versions for everyone's memory crystals. Also there's a FF7 Cait Sith event where you can get Aeris, Tifa, Barret, Yuffie and Cait Sith (and everyone's memory crystals) and if you can do the Force versions with the right combinations of FF7 characters you can pass off missions that give you lots of large ability component orbs.

Also there's the Big Bridge where you fight a bunch of bosses from each of the FFs to get big prizes.

My highest character is still only about 20 so I can only do the first two or three dungeons in each event. Nice source of characters, though.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Three words: Sundaily, sundaily, and sundaily!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, sorry to hear your frustration. If it's any consolation, you don't really need defensive SBs until the most recent hardest of hard content. Not sure how long you've been at it, though.

Long enough, really. Since, um, last April or something? Long enough to have cloud at 80, some 5* weapons to advantaliate with, but not enough good stuff to *not* advantaliate, and zero defensive sbs as I said. I can do the +, ++, +++ battles of events sometimes.

Basically, I don't *need* defensive sb's, but it feels like that's the next progression step, and there's no actual way to take that step without getting lucky. If I really wanted to keep at it, I'd probably farm up full break and hone it and all that, but eh. Was fun.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Yeah, just trying a little bit of Exdeath and I think Advance is too slow for the payoff. I'm a little disappointed because Gilgamesh is only swinging for 6k with a 6* axe per attack once everything is said and done + Dragoon's Determination and Bartz despite wearing all FF5 gear is Tempo Flurrying for 1900 and Firaga Strike hits for 4k. I don't think I've got the damage to pull this off but I'm still gonna give it a try.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Servaetes posted:

Yeah, just trying a little bit of Exdeath and I think Advance is too slow for the payoff. I'm a little disappointed because Gilgamesh is only swinging for 6k with a 6* axe per attack once everything is said and done + Dragoon's Determination and Bartz despite wearing all FF5 gear is Tempo Flurrying for 1900 and Firaga Strike hits for 4k. I don't think I've got the damage to pull this off but I'm still gonna give it a try.

Despite his lack of weaknesses, this is really a fight where mage meta shines; the way MAG scales far outstrips how ATK scales right now and unless you have a native (non-RW) high-buffer (Steal Power works okay for Bartz, Planet Protector works better in general) then you're going to fall short every time on damage. Even a sub-optimal Lv56 Celes with a Thunder Rod ++ and no boosting RM was doing more damage with Blizzaja (much less Thundaja) than an unboosted Bartz with Air Knife + Aerora Strike. Once Bartz landed a Steal Power, of course, his own damage far outshone hers, but if you don't have any boosting potential then physical attacks just aren't gonna cut it.

And Ultimex is kind of a boss fight where you can't afford to waste turns on everybody spamming Double Cut/Tempo Flurry; if your healer or supporter misses a single turn you're as good as dead.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 2, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Chanter's Dgellaba for my only 5 star, a Trident and a Thornlet for 4 stars, an Icebrand that could be useful for my spellbladers, a Dark Bow I can use to upgrade my other Dark Bow, and a bunch of chaff. I guess I'm doing single pulls until the end of the event, hoping for an Air Knife or an Aevis Killer.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Beasteh posted:

I don't think I've ever received anything above 2* in the 9 months I've been playing this game, drat.

Best I've ever gotten is a 4* hammer. I think a 5* is like 1 in 10k odds according to the Japanese text? Oh well, its 10 seconds of your time, keep that dream alive~

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Schwartzcough posted:

You'll want at least Magic and Power break to rank 3 or 4.

So, forgive the dumb question, but if those are just straight status effects, why do you need a lot of it? I thought it was pretty much guaranteed to hit.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Mo0 posted:

So, forgive the dumb question, but if those are just straight status effects, why do you need a lot of it? I thought it was pretty much guaranteed to hit.

You need a lot of them because they wear off eventually.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

AweStriker posted:

You need a lot of them because they wear off eventually.

How do you know when it does? Do you just have to pay attention to damage amounts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mo0 posted:

How do you know when it does? Do you just have to pay attention to damage amounts?

They last roughly 2.5 turns. For safety you can just apply them every other turn, unless your other slot is something like a Celerity skill, which take less time to execute.

• Locked thread