Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Hitler's Germany was probably one of the least effective governments to exist post-industrialization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What's the reason for Saudi Arabia intervening in Yemen? Isn't it sort of analogous to Afghanistan and Pakistan where Yemenis cross the border to Saudi Arabia to attack? I'm not well-versed in the situation there apart from it apparently being a huge humanitarian disaster still.

The Houthis are backed by Iran and if they win Iran gets a puppet state that's basically embedded in Saudi Arabia's rear end in a top hat

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

I wouldn't say that. My point is that this clearly isn't "thanks Obama for bringing about a detente through the Iran deal, and ushering in a new era of diplomacy between our nations." Bringing about positive change in the relationship between the US and Iran was supposed to be the long-term pro in favor of the deal, and that would seem to not be happening at all.

Ah, ok. I'm mostly amused by the US's outrage, and them expecting for us to be outraged as well.

As usual with Erdogan's rhetoric, why he suddenly cited Hitler's Germany is bewildering, but he definitely did not say they were "effective." What he added though is that there are good and bad examples of presidential dictatorships systems. Guardian is taking the quote out of context and blatantly making stuff up here.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's about enabling the reformist parties. Any analysis is premature until the next Assembly of Experts election. It's not a matter of right and wrong, it's of picking the least-worst option. Iranian death squads certainly have Syrian blood on their hands, but are we going to have more influence on them if Obama succeeds or as The Great Satan?

The reformists are 100% at the mercy of the supreme leader and the hardliners. "Empowering" them is meaningless. Not to mention that there is a fine line between the reformists and the hardliners to begin with. Any reformist who lives up to the name finds themselves on house arrest. And this is more complex than simply siding with whichever option gives the US the best position moving forward to promote positive change in Iran, since the Iran deal comes at a cost. The unfreezing of Iranian assets, the removal of sanctions on larger missile systems, etc. All of this empowers Iran to act more recklessly within the region. So the deal doesn't just need to provide a better footing moving forward, but it also needs to do so at a scale that undermines the benefits given to the government through the deal that will very probably end up with the US enabling Iranian aggression in the region. $100b would buy a lot of mercenaries and barrel bombs.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's about enabling the reformist parties. Any analysis is premature until the next Assembly of Experts election. It's not a matter of right and wrong, it's of picking the least-worst option. Iranian death squads certainly have Syrian blood on their hands, but are we going to have more influence on them if Obama succeeds or as The Great Satan?

According to Iranian hardliners, we're the "great satan" because we have a strong Jewish community. I'd hope to god we continue to have such a community, and that Iran changes. Alas, the nuclear agreement has only enabled Iran to pursue genocide and terrorism, while giving them leverage with this administration that they can violate at will.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Have a nice article about Iran from Vice, to clean up the smell left by some bullshit posts on this and the last page: https://news.vice.com/article/this-was-the-year-that-iran-finally-started-to-come-in-from-the-cold?utm_source=vicenewsfb

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nckdictator posted:

"Effective" isn't the right word for the country that came up with the Maus.

Nonsense. Maus is big. Maus is heavy. Maus can trample a lot of Kurdish houses with ease. Maus is good.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mans posted:

Nonsense. Maus is big. Maus is heavy. Maus can trample a lot of Kurdish houses with ease. Maus is good.

Maus ain't no Taus

"Melek Taus on Ashura"

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
What's with those goose soldiers?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

goose fleet posted:

What's with those goose soldiers?

Perfect username to ask the question.

I guess when they were in boot camp, they took the instruction to "duck and cover" a bit too literally.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

It's another middle eastern quackmire

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

MothraAttack posted:

So Jaish al-Thuwar is gunning toward Azaz again and ISIS is mounting something of an effective counteroffensive in Ramadi. Ugh.

http://news.yahoo.com/iraq-forces-extend-ramadi-control-rescue-civilians-131444173.html

quote:

On Friday, IS staged a large attack on a compound used by the army's 10th Division, in a desert area north of Ramadi.

"They used six suicide vehicles followed by a commando of fighters wearing explosive belts," said a lieutenant colonel.

"They managed to take control of the base when the army had to pull out because it suffered casualties... Iraqi forces have since counter-attacked and retaken control, with aerial coalition backing," he said.

Anything else about Ramadi was bullshit twitter daesh propaganda.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

I heard on NPR today that the Iraqi military suffered 60 casualties in this attack. Ouch.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Anosmoman posted:

Iran is mostly Shia and is supporting Shia rebels in Yemen, which has a majority Sunni population. Saudi Arabia is also mostly Sunni and doesn't want an Iranian puppet in their back yard.

icantfindaname posted:

The Houthis are backed by Iran and if they win Iran gets a puppet state that's basically embedded in Saudi Arabia's rear end in a top hat

Thanks for the heads up. :)

Also, with Erdogan and Netanyahu going full :godwin:... Just :psyduck:. It takes either brazenness or stupidity (maybe both) to use Hitler as an example to be emulated in political dialogue. Erdogan was :qq:'ing about people taking what he said out of context, but when you go Full Hitler, it really doesn't matter if what you said is in or out of context, it's just a really dumb move rhetorically and politically.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hello
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35213244

bbc posted:

Saudi Arabia has executed the prominent Shia cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr, the interior ministry said. He was among 47 put to death after being convicted of terrorism offences, it said in a statement. Sheikh Nimr was a vocal supporter of the mass anti-government protests that erupted in Eastern Province in 2011, where a Shia majority have long complained of marginalisation. His arrest two years ago, during which he was shot, triggered days of unrest. Sheikh Nimr's death sentence was confirmed in October. His brother said he was found guilty of seeking "foreign meddling" in the kingdom, "disobeying" its rulers and taking up arms against the security forces.

Now taking bets on the Sunni Shia civil war spreading to Arabia now.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Friendly Tumour posted:

Hello

can't decide if saudi arabia destabilising would be a good thing or a bad thing for everyone else

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

blowfish posted:

can't decide if saudi arabia destabilising would be a good thing or a bad thing for everyone else

me neither, but least it'll be entertaining

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
If nothing else, it'll spur LFTR tech, so I'm all for it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Friendly Tumour posted:

Hello

Eh I think it will be more of an uprising in the Shia area of Saudi Arabia followed by a very brutal crackdown and no condemnation by the US because hey, gas is super cheap right now.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

If nothing else, it'll spur LFTR tech, so I'm all for it.

Eh, I think India is already investing in that pretty nicely.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Charliegrs posted:

Eh I think it will be more of an uprising in the Shia area of Saudi Arabia followed by a very brutal crackdown and no condemnation by the US because hey, gas is super cheap right now.

The lone voice of sanity telling us What Will Actually Happen In The Real World.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

But for real, gently caress Saudi Arabia. They're literally a medieval Islamist dictatorship. But hey, people like cheap gas, so have a nice day, you swarthy Arab gentlemen. Please oppress the gently caress outta any minorities you need to and behead all the wizards, just keep it below two bucks a gallon you crazy hillbilly fucks.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

Charliegrs posted:

I wonder if SA is actually able to do something like that without outside intervention, their military doesn't seem like the most capable in the world.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Charliegrs posted:

Yeah! And we're going to do something about it!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

Maus ain't no Taus

"Melek Taus on Ashura"

The Angry Birds franchise got weird all of a sudden.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Friendly Tumour posted:

Hello

nothing will happen. but part me hope something does.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Gmaz posted:

I wonder if SA is actually able to do something like that without outside intervention, their military doesn't seem like the most capable in the world.

On the first read of this, I parsed "SA" as "Something Awful", and my initial thought was "No poo poo they're not capable, did you see what happened when GiP tried to build a house?" :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

GiP tried to build a house
Link. :stare:

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Young Freud posted:

The Angry Birds franchise got weird all of a sudden.

This looks like either a modern Bayeux tapestry, but woven by Yazidis, or a political cartoon by the same.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:laffo:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Great talk hosted by POMEPS that gives some context to sectarianism in Saudi Arabia: https://vimeo.com/131102935

quote:

Toby Matthiesen is a research fellow in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies at Pembroke College, University of Cambridge. He is the author of Sectarian Gulf: Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and the Arab Spring That Wasn’t (Stanford University Press, 2013). POMEPS hosted Matthiesen in 2013 to discuss Sectarian Gulf in POMEPS Conversations 28. He discusses his recent release The Other Saudis: Shiism, Dissent and Sectarianism (Cambridge University Press, 2014). Kristin Smith Diwan offers comments. Diwan is a professorial lecturer at American University and a visiting scholar at the George Washington University’s Institute for Middle East Studies.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHds3HGzCak
The SAclopedia entry is surprisingly sparse, given the wealth of material it has inspired. I'm not even sure the house actually collapsed. There's more details here (the thread looks to be about a fighter jet, but gets derailed pretty quickly).

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 2, 2016

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Gmaz posted:

Well in 2011 during the Bahrain uprising (which was another attempt at Shias to get equal treatment from the government) the Saudis and Emiratis sent their military and police to Bahrain to help suppress the uprising. So I imagine internal suppression is probably the one thing the Saudi military is good at. And of course you didn't hear a peep from the US back during the Bahrain crackdown, I guess we didn't want to lose a naval base or something like that we have there?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHds3HGzCak
The SAclopedia entry is surprisingly sparse, given the wealth of material it has inspired. I'm not even sure the house actually collapsed. There's more details here (the thread looks to be about a fighter jet, but gets derailed pretty quickly).

You linked tribute.avi

This is groverhaus.avi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7zPiTHjzVI

though the stability of the buildings in both cases is arguably similar

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Volkerball posted:

The reformists are 100% at the mercy of the supreme leader and the hardliners. "Empowering" them is meaningless. Not to mention that there is a fine line between the reformists and the hardliners to begin with. Any reformist who lives up to the name finds themselves on house arrest. And this is more complex than simply siding with whichever option gives the US the best position moving forward to promote positive change in Iran, since the Iran deal comes at a cost. The unfreezing of Iranian assets, the removal of sanctions on larger missile systems, etc. All of this empowers Iran to act more recklessly within the region. So the deal doesn't just need to provide a better footing moving forward, but it also needs to do so at a scale that undermines the benefits given to the government through the deal that will very probably end up with the US enabling Iranian aggression in the region. $100b would buy a lot of mercenaries and barrel bombs.

Iran is still a hell of a lot less empowered to act with impunity than they would be as a nuclear power, so there's that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

blowfish posted:

Eh, I think India is already investing in that pretty nicely.

There needs to be more more more more more.

But it's cool people already know about it.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Friendly Tumour posted:

Hello

Try the other direction instead (crosspost from USPol):

GalacticAcid posted:

Saudi embassy in Tehran.

Follow Iranian journalist @HassanVand for updates.
Protests, possible burning of the embassy in response to Saudi Arabia's execution.

The proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran seems to be becoming a little less "proxy".

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 3, 2016

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

quote:

Saudi Arabia's top cleric, Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdulaziz Al al-Sheikh, defended the executions, calling them a "mercy to the prisoners" as it would prevent them committing more crimes, Associated Press reported.

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Charliegrs posted:

Well in 2011 during the Bahrain uprising (which was another attempt at Shias to get equal treatment from the government) the Saudis and Emiratis sent their military and police to Bahrain to help suppress the uprising. So I imagine internal suppression is probably the one thing the Saudi military is good at. And of course you didn't hear a peep from the US back during the Bahrain crackdown, I guess we didn't want to lose a naval base or something like that we have there?

Bahrain was a fairly small scale thing. Nothing comparable to what happened in Yemen or Syria from a difficulty standpoint. If there was something major, the Saudi's aren't exactly prepared to deal with it any better than Assad was. They are better equipped, but they also don't have equivalent regional and international powers who would strap themselves to the royal family when poo poo went down like Russia and Iran did for Syria. Like with Mubarak in Egypt, I would expect any major uprising within KSA would end up with the Obama administration trying to stay more or less "out of it," then establishing/maintaining relations with the winner while trying to keep the appearance that they did what supported human rights in Saudi Arabia. And all of KSA's other allies are more or less subordinates. They aren't likely to face anything like that, however. Shia's are a very small minority, and this type of execution is business as usual, not an exception to the rule, to the point that I'm surprised this incident was even posted in the thread. The "revolution" during the Arab Spring that the Shia cleric was indicted for supporting was the sidiest of side notes during that time period, and only 17 people died. There will be no challenge to the royal family that isn't heavily supported by Sunni's, and I don't think "hey we're being oppressed!" from Shia's within KSA is going to get them on board.

• Locked thread