Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm still looking for aliens.

Edit: All I'm finding is space gas stations.

Edit2: I also got 8 tons of tea at the space Costco.

TomR fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Libluini posted:

Since people steadfastly refuse to send me money for a second monitor, I too am still part of the one-monitor-brigade

I also buy my monitors as exhibits: Good as new, but cheaper because people put their dirty hands on it or something.

I not only have a two monitor set up, I have a stick computer hooked up to the second one with its own mouse and keyboard so that I can read forums/etc while doing stuff on my main PC.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

tooterfish posted:

Sadly, I've yet to see Derek Smart...

I swear I've seen him

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Are the weapon outfitting conventions still the same as back in, say, July? Gimballed Pulses being a main staple, missiles are all poo poo, etc etc? What major changes have happened there?

Also, can I help diamond frogs without space facebook? I assume it's still just do missions for them?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Zigmidge posted:

Are the weapon outfitting conventions still the same as back in, say, July? Gimballed Pulses being a main staple, missiles are all poo poo, etc etc? What major changes have happened there?

Also, can I help diamond frogs without space facebook? I assume it's still just do missions for them?

Yeah, if you want to help Frogs without Spacebook, go to 63 G. Capricorni and do Frog missions. Do Not bounty hunt or turn in bounties in Frog systems.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Zigmidge posted:

Frags got way more ammo and class 2 plasma accelerators got unfucked so they're not terrible to use now. Also it turns out burst lasers are slightly better than people were generally giving them credit for but pulses are still generally better.

Missiles got their shield damage increased but I assume that they still suck?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

Missiles got a buff, they actually do visible damage to shields now. So if some annoying NPC recharges his shields in exactly the wrong moment, your torpedo at least isn't wasted anymore.

Also the fragment cannon (only the C2 though, I think) got it's ammunition trippled. Armor got a massive buff and even small reinforcement-packages give a shitton of hp now. The reinforcement packages additionally reduce damage to modules now so it actually makes sense to rely on your armor. And thanks to the nerf to shieldcells you should have some free space for reinforcers in your fit now. :v:

The FDL can now carry a larger power plant and I think that's it.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Libluini posted:

Also the fragment cannon (only the C2 though, I think) got it's ammunition trippled.

All frag cannons benefited from the ammo tripling, otherwise I wouldn't run C3 beam + C3 frag on every Vulture I've owned since the patch.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

YellerBill posted:

All frag cannons benefited from the ammo tripling, otherwise I wouldn't run C3 beam + C3 frag on every Vulture I've owned since the patch.

Weird. I could have sworn the C1 still has 30, not 90 ammo. Have to check this the next time I refit my Iggle.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Libluini posted:

Weird. I could have sworn the C1 still has 30, not 90 ammo. Have to check this the next time I refit my Iggle.

C1's have 90, had them on my Corvette for awhile before I just cashed them in for more beams.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah it's actually fine now, it was kind of hosed up in the early days though when most sources of income were literally 10-100x less profitable (the only one which hasn't changed much is trading which they actually nerfed a bit IIRC).

Dear God those were horrible times. Missions paid between nothing and something like 20k maximum, and bounties ranged from 2k to 15k or something silly like that. An Anaconda kill in a conflict zone paid 3000 credits, no joke.

You could barely break even with ammo costs while bounty hunting so you either did it for fun, or you brought full laser loadouts to avoid restocking fees, the only money making was in either bulk trading common goods, rare trading (which is still considered good income), or exploiting silly glitches like the "seeking drugs" thing that got me into a Python because gently caress grinding 56 millions in THOSE conditions

Nowadays people have it easy, just tag a bunch of bad guys in a RES and boom, 500k credits in an hour. It took literally ten hours to make that kind of money when I started out and was saving up for a Cobra by trading in an Adder... :argh:

Oh poo poo I'm becoming a modern day '84er :stare:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Speaking of pulse lasers, on my Cobra it came with a pair of fixed size 1 pulse's, which I replaced with a pair of size 2 gimbals. But then I got looking at the stuff in Coriolis and it looks like the 1 gimbals do the exact same DPS (lower damage per hit, higher fire rate) but for less heat and less power. I switched them out and now with a single click into weapons (D power plant, A distributor) I can fire them pretty much non-stop, and it feels like I can actually do more damage now.

Is this true? If so why would I ever put a size 2 pulse in place of a size 1? Seems strange.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

The Locator posted:

Speaking of pulse lasers, on my Cobra it came with a pair of fixed size 1 pulse's, which I replaced with a pair of size 2 gimbals. But then I got looking at the stuff in Coriolis and it looks like the 1 gimbals do the exact same DPS (lower damage per hit, higher fire rate) but for less heat and less power. I switched them out and now with a single click into weapons (D power plant, A distributor) I can fire them pretty much non-stop, and it feels like I can actually do more damage now.

Is this true? If so why would I ever put a size 2 pulse in place of a size 1? Seems strange.

Weapons have a penalty against ships not of the same size. Meaning larger, not smaller. A large pulse laser will absolutely destroy the hull of a small ship.

It's not said anywhere in the game, but if you try it in practice by hunting medium ships with a small pulse vs a medium pulse, you will notice that the small pulses take a hell of a lot longer to kill things.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Locator posted:

Weapon sizes carry with them damage penalties against larger sizes of ship. IIRC Class 1 weapons do 66% of their listed damage against medium hulls and 33% against large hulls, while Class 2 weapons do 66% of their damage against large hulls. It's not really a problem if you're not focusing on tacking larger targets, but it is something to consider.

There are a couple of exceptions to this, as well. Cannons and railguns (i think?) will always do 100% of their damage regardless of class or target size, and shield damage is also consistent between classes.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Libluini posted:

The updated ammo count still isn't reflected on Coriolis, iirc, which was confusing when I was looking at potential planetary explorer builds right after Horizons launched.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IAmTheRad posted:

Weapons have a penalty against ships not of the same size. Meaning larger, not smaller. A large pulse laser will absolutely destroy the hull of a small ship.

It's not said anywhere in the game, but if you try it in practice by hunting medium ships with a small pulse vs a medium pulse, you will notice that the small pulses take a hell of a lot longer to kill things.

3 posted:

Weapon sizes carry with them damage penalties against larger sizes of ship. IIRC Class 1 weapons do 66% of their listed damage against medium hulls and 33% against large hulls, while Class 2 weapons do 66% of their damage against large hulls. It's not really a problem if you're not focusing on tacking larger targets, but it is something to consider.

There are a couple of exceptions to this, as well. Cannons and railguns (i think?) will always do 100% of their damage regardless of class or target size, and shield damage is also consistent between classes.

Thanks, both of you. That's some useful information that certainly isn't apparent anywhere in the game when looking at them!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

It's not actually quite as simple as that but basically the larger a ship is the more damage it resists and larger weapons pierce that resistance more effectively, as do certain weapon types such as railguns and cannons.

E:D has a lot of hidden poo poo like this in its mechanics which is annoying and most of what we know has been reverse engineered by brave spergs willing to spend hours shooting at targets or flying in circles to check thruster stats etc

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

3 posted:

So basically if you have multiple sizes of weapon mount, stick your lasers on the smaller ones.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

3 posted:

Has anyone tested if this mechanic carries over to Class 4 weapons? Would be hilarious if C4-guns do 33% more damage than listed even against large ships just because there are no "huge" ships. :v:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Libluini posted:

Has anyone tested if this mechanic carries over to Class 4 weapons? Would be hilarious if C4-guns do 33% more damage than listed even against large ships just because there are no "huge" ships. :v:
It doesn't work like that, weapons do reduced damage against bigger hulls but only full (rather than extra) damage on smaller hulls. So a C2 weapon would do 66% against large hulls, 100% against medium hulls, and 100% (not 133%) against small ones.

The Locator posted:

I have to say that I disagree somewhat with the learning curve steepness. It's nothing like as steep as the old-school Eve, I've made a lot more progress in a day than my first several weeks in the old Eve days.
I had a friend who described this game's learning curve as (paraphrased) "a sheer cliff wall, followed by a flat plain". When you first start off the game doesn't explain poo poo to you so you're flying about smashing into stuff and trying to figure out where your docking port is and everything feels impenetrable, but once you get over that hump you sit there wondering how you found it so confusing.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Holy hell, the Top 15% for the Santa Muerte CG paid out for 50 million?! :psypop:

I might actually be able to get a Python soon!

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

Rudager posted:

I bought the game 3 days ago, and according to Steam I'm up to 20 hours played, and I attribute this entirely to listening to Giant Bombs 2015 GotY podcasts while playing (there's 5 each year and they usualy go for 3-5 hours each).

That's exactly what I've been listening to.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Wait, there are people who still use a single monitor in tyool 2016?

I'm playing on Xbox, so, yes.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Namaste posted:

A picture-in-picture style window for YouTube/Netflix/Hulu would be amazing.

It won't help you on Xbox, but PC users should be able to play in borderless window and use OnTopReplica to do just that.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just bought this game. I played the training modules, got my rear end handed to me by the last ship on the Incursion one three or four times, and decided that was more than enough experience to begin my spaceship-man career.

After quite a bit of experimentation (and a 400 credit landing pad fine, gently caress off space nazis) I managed to accept a hostage rescue mission. When I found my target (after figuring out what the... frame shaft? drive? did), I couldn't figure out what to do with him so I just started shooting. My new 6,000 credit bounty made the station I started in hostile to me, and I can't figure out how to clear my bounty, so I'm wandering the stars searching for a new home.

It's been like four hours. 10/10

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Greetings from the Cat's Paw Nebula

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Greetings from the Cat's Paw Nebula

Amazing :swoon: how big is that star?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I don't think I want to follow you. Even if you were my contact it's a bad idea.

I'd be compelled to follow Cthulhu, but not his mispronounced cousin.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ok, got the 15 dollar game off of steam. 2 hours of tutorial missions and youtube videos and I've completed my first "deliver this stuff over there" mission. I also shot a weak space pirate to death. Then I ran out of fuel in the middle of nowhere and had to self-destruct.

I figure that's a good day of ED.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Game mechanics question. I got enough money to outfit a Hauler for space exploration, and I'm way out on the edge of the influence map now. It occurs to me that if I feel like doing bounty's in my Cobra way back where I left it, that's an entire evening shot just travelling home. Is there any mechanic in the game to switch between stored ship at distant locations, or do you just have to fly back the way you came.

I will have to say that the trip home will be somewhat faster, since I was about 30 jumps out when I realized that I had 'most economical' checked on the space-routing, so I was doing a bunch of 5ly jumps instead of single 20-25ly jumps.... welp.

I'm sitting in Bellaung (Empire space) now, so tomorrow can head out beyond the 'influence' area shown on the power-play map. Is there any sort of method to exploration, or do you just pick a direction and go?

kzmn
Dec 11, 2006

The Locator posted:

Game mechanics question. I got enough money to outfit a Hauler for space exploration, and I'm way out on the edge of the influence map now. It occurs to me that if I feel like doing bounty's in my Cobra way back where I left it, that's an entire evening shot just travelling home. Is there any mechanic in the game to switch between stored ship at distant locations, or do you just have to fly back the way you came.

I will have to say that the trip home will be somewhat faster, since I was about 30 jumps out when I realized that I had 'most economical' checked on the space-routing, so I was doing a bunch of 5ly jumps instead of single 20-25ly jumps.... welp.

I'm sitting in Bellaung (Empire space) now, so tomorrow can head out beyond the 'influence' area shown on the power-play map. Is there any sort of method to exploration, or do you just pick a direction and go?

There's no quick way to switch to your other ship, you have to fly all the way back. From what I've heard, if you want to explore in order to get your name put on things, then just head off in a random direction that isn't on the path to a major landmark. People that don't care about being the first to discover a system seem to pick a goal like the galactic core or a famous nebula / black hole and head that way.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, got the 15 dollar game off of steam. 2 hours of tutorial missions and youtube videos and I've completed my first "deliver this stuff over there" mission. I also shot a weak space pirate to death. Then I ran out of fuel in the middle of nowhere and had to self-destruct.

I figure that's a good day of ED.

For future reference.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

So, I haven't played this game since they put in Powerplay. Is there an actual variety to the content, or is it still just... doing the same 4 things (trading, exploring, combat, poo poo mining) over and over with virtually no variety between them? After I got an Asp just got kind of bored of the game, which is a shame because flying ships is so goddamn cool.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Stele007 posted:

So, I haven't played this game since they put in Powerplay. Is there an actual variety to the content, or is it still just... doing the same 4 things (trading, exploring, combat, poo poo mining) over and over with virtually no variety between them? After I got an Asp just got kind of bored of the game, which is a shame because flying ships is so goddamn cool.

Haven't tried mining, but in my experience most of it is the same basic gameplay, except everything pays out about 10 times as much. It's no longer a Big Deal to have an Anaconda (though having one that's not cargo fit is still extremely rare), and Pythons are like... upper-mid tier now? The real point of the game is the meta of interacting with other players, which is hilarious given how Frontier wants to avoid making the game like EVE. Even if you don't side with the Diamond Frogs, there's like six other guilds that seem to have a Dune-style web of diplomacy/mutual hatred that you could potentially join up with, and they somehow have wars in a game that doesn't have actual player sovereignty.

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 3, 2016

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
(quote not edit)

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Powerplay doesn't really have any benefits anymore.

Prismatic shields aren't nearly as good as bi-weave shields in PvE. Hell, you can have builds that don't even use Shield Cell Banks with bi-weaves. Just relax a bit after a battle with 4 pips on SYS, see your shields recharge, assuming you took some shield damage. You can relieve some of the fact it doesn't have as sturdy shields by using shield boosters. Shield Cell Banks stacking isn't part of the game anymore really. They increase your heat level dramatically. Unless you use a heat sink right after popping a cell, you'll only use them in emergencies now instead of just using them because there was absolutely no drawback to using a shield cell at all unless you used it when you had no shields.

The benefits for pledging with an alliance are basically useless. If you really enjoy a tedious grind every week and getting interdicted or shot by other players for being in a different powerplay faction go ahead and pledge with one. There is no purpose to being part of powerplay these days. Li Yong-Rui's benefits spread to EVERY system he controls for lower outfitting costs. Seriously, it's like :frontear: decided they needed an "endgame" and decided to make it a huge grind with little to no benefits to a player.

If they want players to take part in Powerplay they need to make it more inciting, and by that I don't just mean give a player credits every week. Don't have merits deteriorate by 50% each week. Yes, you will need them to go down, but 50% every week is a little harsh. If they dropped a little every day that would be fine, basically changing the weekly mission to a daily one that you can work against doing each day instead of having a huge grind every single week.

The faction specific modules need to be more useful. The mining lance, really? It's worse than a mining laser for mining, and you will never use a mining laser for combat. Generally they only come in class 1, which if you're flying a ship that only uses class 1 weapons for 4 weeks and doing the huge grind to keep your merit point above rank 3 every week, well, you can instead spend that time earning some real credits in which to buy a new ship that uses class 2 weapons.

The other benefits that a faction provides are mostly useless. Extra bounty money does help, but it's not essential. If you're not bounty hunting, it's useless. The extra influence gained by working with a minor faction is mostly useless. I mean it can help if you're trying to get a faction on top, but an extra mission can do the exact same thing and get you paid more. It will not give you extra reputation or increased ranking points with a major faction. Lower fines and bounties (on you) is completely useless unless you're going out of your way to get fines and bounties. Hell, you can pay a fine easy enough. Lower costs for items is useless. Go visit a Li-Rui Yong system. Get 15% off. Or if you have access to the founder's system, shop there because EVERYTHING is available there and you don't need to hunt around for every single item even by using a website, and it's 10% off there.

Seriously, there are hardly any major benefits to joining a powerplay faction. If they revamp it, maybe you can join one.

I will add that there are builds that will use prismatic shields. If there's any faction that is worth joining now, join the anime princess for 4 weeks to get those shields.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 3, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Advanced plasma accelerators are basically straight up better than regular C3 plasma accelerators from what I remember. If they wanted people to actually do Powerplay for the guns they needed to make them available in all regular sizes for that weapon.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Welp, my first attempt at exploration just ended in horrible failure when I can across a 2G world, which was the first time I've ever tried to land on a planet higher than 1G, and slammed my Cobra into the ground and exploded. :rip: Didn't even make it half way to the Horsehead Nebula.

IAmTheRad posted:

Prismatic shields aren't nearly as good as bi-weave shields in PvE. Hell, you can have builds that don't even use Shield Cell Banks with bi-weaves. Just relax a bit after a battle with 4 pips on SYS, see your shields recharge, assuming you took some shield damage.
Don't really need to put 4 pips in SYS unless your distributor can't handle your shield's drain. SYS pips don't directly affect regen, only strength.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Welp, my first attempt at exploration just ended in horrible failure when I can across a 2G world, which was the first time I've ever tried to land on a planet higher than 1G, and slammed my Cobra into the ground and exploded. :rip: Didn't even make it half way to the Horsehead Nebula.

Don't really need to put 4 pips in SYS unless your distributor can't handle your shield's drain. SYS pips don't directly affect regen, only strength.

Yeah I've found that 3 pips will typically out-pace the regen drain on my SYS capacitor. The extra pip is kinda wasted unless you're actually under fire.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Insert name here posted:

Yesterday I landed on a 1,2g planet and yes, even that turned out to be trickier then I thought. Made me thankful I upgraded my old 4D-thrusters back to 5Ds. I also stumbled randomly upon a mining base outside the bubble. I then proceeded to blew everything up and steal 1 ton of gold and 1 ton of some poo poo. Uranite or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I, somewhat ironically, had A-grade thrusters on my Cobra to make landings easier. When I realised I was coming in too hard I nosed up and hit boost a bunch of times which turns out didn't do anything because I absent-mindedly lowered my landing gear a few seconds before. Oops. Probably would have not died like a moron if that boost had gone off.

• Locked thread